Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

13 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I just assumed Atelier reviews were the equivalent of Peggy episodes in King of the Hill (aka insta-skips). 1f602.png

The latest game did sound interesting - except the "characters from previous entries" bit. I had that in Trails of Cold Steel IV where characters from the previous Heroes series take part, and since I didn't play that, I don't feel much for their characters.

15 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, I bought a PS5, by the way. Did I forget to mention that? They went on sale one day and I got lucky enough to get one. Actually played Nelke on it as my first PS5 game, even though I have it for PS4. At least I know it works. It transferred all my save data from the PS4 to the PS5, which is a nice feature... Just took a few hours.

Nice. And they announced black controllers, did I read that right somewhere? Hopefully, when I start looking for a PS5, a black plates + black controller version is available.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, I bought a PS5, by the way. Did I forget to mention that? They went on sale one day and I got lucky enough to get one. Actually played Nelke on it as my first PS5 game, even though I have it for PS4. At least I know it works. It transferred all my save data from the PS4 to the PS5, which is a nice feature... Just took a few hours.

People have been doing this to autopop a lot of trophies by transferring their saves from PS4 to PS5. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered basically gives you all the trophies you already earned on the PS4 except for the one DLC pack that is exclusive to the PS5 version. Even so, I hear it only takes around 30 - 60 minutes to get them all.

It's just an incredibly cheap way to earn a lot of trophies, at this point it's just collecting stamps. Sure I got some games in my collection that I autopopped but those were the exception rather than the norm. Most of everything I stacked I had to play through a second time, but just about all of those games were ones I really enjoyed such as Ratchet & Clank, so I didn't mind doing that.

I don't know. I still cannot get a PS5 in my area and even if I could it's far too expensive. I would have to pay overprice for one since there is still a great shortage of PS5 consoles. My golden rule is I don't generally switch until two or three years after the launch of a console.

I waited until July 2015 to pick up my PS4 that came shipped with a copy of Batman: Arkham Knight, and that was literally the perfect time to switch over. This time around, I'm reaching a point in my life where gaming just isn't wowing me nearly as much as it used to. I got family responsibilities, bills, a couple kids to look after every now and then, and everything else that is keeping me away from gaming.

That's great that you have one. But for me I'm content with what I have at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to wait 13 days for a response. I guess you've been pretty busy.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Man, the 80's were simpler times. It's one thing to have a retro renaissance in today's market, but it's another to actually set a game in that era. Why haven't we seen that done more often?

I'm going to make this one simple, guys. Buy it. I don't care if it's on sale or not. It's up there with Children of Morta, Ikenfell, and Obra Dinn for great storytelling and presentation. I may even like it more than all three of them. I'm not sure how all these indie games with pixelated graphics are absolutely wrecking the competition for GOTY this year, but maybe it's time we start feeling embarrassed for AAA titles.

I will say the combat is a little dull, some of the puzzles are annoying, and I'm not in love with the platforming, but all that takes a backseat to the characters, the journey, and the great soundtrack. This is a prime example of a game where the gameplay is NOT what matters. I don't think you need to have grown up in the 80's or even the 90's to appreciate what they did here, but it certainly helps.

And that's all I really want to say. Anything else would be spoiler territory.

I can live with the 90s and early 2000s. The avatar and part of my old signature are from an old computer game in the early 90s. Commander Keen. Nobody will know him unless you were around in the old days.

I personally think indie games are absolutely wrecking the competition when it comes to original content. I absolutely loved Transistor and Bastion, they were both unique and told their stories in unique ways. For the more traditional platformer, Shovel Knight is up there as one of the best. Such an awesome game, one that I really need to go back to wrap up the DLC.

If you don't mind some old style point and clicks, one I can recommend is The Little Acre. Has that old 80s/90s cartoon style animation, and it really tells a cute story. Gameplay isn't its strong point, but in games like that it doesn't need to be.

Unfortunately for many AAA titles in my opinion, they're beginning to feel too corporatized, if you get my meaning.

Edited by AJ_Radio

Who'd like me to make a 16-bit RPG styled after Miitopia and put it out for people to plaster a trophy list on it? I don't even care if they make it a Ratalaika game which you only need to do 10% to get the platinum, Miitopia is kicking trophy hunting's ass right now, especially the Switch version which lets you feed a horse curry and make it belch fireballs that destroy enemies with goofy faces. ^_^

12 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm going to make this one simple, guys. Buy it. I don't care if it's on sale or not. It's up there with Children of Morta, Ikenfell, and Obra Dinn for great storytelling and presentation. I may even like it more than all three of them. I'm not sure how all these indie games with pixelated graphics are absolutely wrecking the competition for GOTY this year, but maybe it's time we start feeling embarrassed for AAA titles.

And that's all I really want to say. Anything else would be spoiler territory.

Woooo! I'm happy to hear it. You convinced me to put Ikenfell on my Wishlist for when it goes on sale and coincidentally enough I bought Crossing Souls since it was on sale for $3.74 a few months ago in April and now you've made me bump it up my priority list. It hit that perfect sweet spot for me of having a good rarity plat but also not being too long that I just blindly pulled the trigger without knowing the gameplay. It sounds like it's one of those games you just like to "hang out in" even if the gameplay isn't the most stellar and I'll easily take that for a game of it's ilk.

As a side note... I can't help but notice you're playing a number of games simultaneously that I've always been a bit curious about. I don't mean for you to spoil your future rivals but if you can I'd like to hear a few of your thoughts.

1) Wargroove - I nearly bought it on sale awhile back, but the ultra rare plat + essentially 0 trophy guide help held me back. I can see you're still early on, but you enjoying it?

2) Kingdom: Two Crowns - I quite enjoyed my time with New Lands, platted it in Feb. 2020, while you got it in Nov. 2018. Is this kinda like a DQ Heroes situation where you signed up for a grind in the sequel just because it had been awhile since you played the original? :P
3) Torchlight II - Game I know the least about but is on sale for $6 atm. Lean positive or negative? 

• Like 1

Platinum #257 - Crossing Souls

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/7281d9/trophies/1L7f229f.png

This is still one of my favorite games I have played and coincidentally I just finished Children of Morta last night which was also worthy of being in my favorites as it was excellent! I was also thinking the other day that its funny how some of these pixel games are much more fun to play and seem to hold my attention far longer than a lot of AAA games out now. If you put Ikenfell on the same pedestal as these games I'm off to buy it right away.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, realm722 said:

1) Wargroove - I nearly bought it on sale awhile back, but the ultra rare plat + essentially 0 trophy guide help held me back. I can see you're still early on, but you enjoying it?

2) Kingdom: Two Crowns - I quite enjoyed my time with New Lands, platted it in Feb. 2020, while you got it in Nov. 2018. Is this kinda like a DQ Heroes situation where you signed up for a grind in the sequel just because it had been awhile since you played the original? :P
3) Torchlight II - Game I know the least about but is on sale for $6 atm. Lean positive or negative? 

Wargroove is OK. It's very similar to Advance Wars, which is another game I liked back in the day. The trophy list is probably going to ruin it, though. You have to get an S-rank on every mission, which means playing on the hardest difficulty AND finishing that mission under a certain number of turns. I really hate "speed"-based trophies in strategy games, even if you can take as long as you want every turn. (I should also point out that the game has been patched since a lot of guides/walkthroughs were made, so you can't use follow a video 1:1 and expect to get the same results. Prices of unit have changed and so has the AI.)

If you played New Lands and liked it, I guess you could play Two Crowns, but don't expect a lot of new content. In fact, I spent a good chunk of time thinking that they had released the same game under a slightly different name. I think the big difference is that you can play co-op, and maybe the way you go about killing the Greed is different...? I refuse to call it a sequel. It's a repackaging of an older game that should have been DLC or a 1.10 patch.

If you get Torchlight II, you can play with me and @Briste and whoever else buys it. It's OK. I hate not being able to respec and I think the grind might suck, but it's mindless enough to be fun. Sometimes I just don't want to think.

I'm probably not going to recommend any of them because of the trophy lists. Two Crowns in particular pisses me off. There's a trophy for having 20 max towers on a single island, but I can't do that because none of my islands have enough spots to build those towers, so I need to start a brand new game and hope I get better RNG on the one of the later islands (since the earlier islands are too small to spawn 20+ locations). Naturally I found this out after wasting two hours getting every tower maxed out on my final island.

4 hours ago, gruffiiti said:

This is still one of my favorite games I have played and coincidentally I just finished Children of Morta last night which was also worthy of being in my favorites as it was excellent! I was also thinking the other day that its funny how some of these pixel games are much more fun to play and seem to hold my attention far longer than a lot of AAA games out now. If you put Ikenfell on the same pedestal as these games I'm off to buy it right away.

I'll have to think about their placements. I put CoM on my favorite games list, I didn't put Ikenfell there, and I'm on the fence about Crossing Souls. I think if I were to compare them to each other, their storylines and characters are all comparable (you know, equally amazing), but CoM has the best gameplay. Ikenfell has a...win-the-game button, which is appreciated, I guess, but they're all fairly challenging. I'd say 4 or 5 out of 10, if you aren't abusing Ikenfell's Victory Mode and you're playing CoM on Hard difficulty (as you should). Crossing Souls just has a few bosses that can be a pain in the ass if you aren't stocked up on lollipops.

Really cool to play through all these games in the same year. I'd like to hear your thoughts on Ikenfell, since it's probably the least known game on the list.

14 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Had to wait 13 days for a response. I guess you've been pretty busy.

Yeah, I hate having to navigate to the second page to post an update...

Chalk it up to laziness. I was out of town for a couple days somewhere in there.

• Like 3

They just announced Two-Point Campus on the Summer Games show, Cassy. I mention this because I was wondering if you plan to platinum that game when it comes out since you did Two-Point Hospital. It looks really cool. ;)

Also, a D&D game is coming to PS5. I can't wait to bust out my halfling monk. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 6:08 PM, winter_bird_22 said:

They just announced Two-Point Campus on the Summer Games show, Cassy. I mention this because I was wondering if you plan to platinum that game when it comes out since you did Two-Point Hospital. It looks really cool. ;)

Hm. Maybe. I'll probably wait for all the DLC to drop first. The Jumbo Edition of TPH was priced a little high for my liking. I'm also getting tired of having to relearn games like Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, The Long Dark, and soon-to-be Graveyard Keeper, just because the developers have the audacity to release new content years after release.

And hey, while we're on the topic of new content years after release...

Platinum #258 - Kingdom: Two Crowns

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/3540fe/trophies/1L381426.png

I was about twelve hours into this game when I realized, "Hey, I've done this all before." I actually had to check to see if this was actually a new game or a re-release of Kingdom: New Lands. Turns out there IS some new content here, but it is really not worth your time if you've played the original. The only exception to this, and I'm too lazy to check to see if it works, is if you're able to play Dead Lands (a modified version of the main game) to get the base game trophies. That one is actually kinda fun because the textures and models in the game change, and you can play as one of several Bloodstained characters in a weird 505 Games crossover. It doesn't change the overall mechanics, but their special abilities are nice.

Otherwise, it's more of the same if you've played the original. Here, you're trying to clear out the Greed on five islands. On each island, you have to rebuild your ship, fend off the Greed, and sail to the next island as quickly as possible. In the original, I think winter is eternal (essentially end-game content), but there are seasons in this game. Every 16 days constitutes one season, and every day is about four real world minutes. You spend your days expanding your kingdom and your nights cowering behind your walls while the Greed try to murder you by stealing your hat. Unfortunately, what they DON'T tell you is that the Greed continue to get stronger, even when you sail to another island. This caused me to game over on the fourth island because I stayed for too long and essentially made the Greed too powerful to survive the first day on the fifth island. You really want to get to the fourth island in the first year, unlock the iron upgrade, and sail back to the first island by winter. From there, you can focus on clearing out the Greed on each island (impossible until you get the upgrade) and start on the fifth island before the second winter. You're probably not likely to do this on your first try unless you're a veteran of the original game.

If you haven't played the original, then yeah, I think this is worth a buy. It's a neat twist on a tower defense game. If it wasn't for the artificial time limit, this would actually be a very relaxing game, but some of the trophies are really dumb. Beware of the one that requires having 20 max towers on one island. This is impossible to do if you build certain upgrades because it cancels out your ability to place towers in certain locations. I had to start a new game just to do this. The trophy for retrieving your crown 300 times is also a troll by the devs. As is sailing to a new island in co-op 50 times. (Which reminds me. If you have two controllers, play in co-op split screen. Doesn't matter if you have no friends. Just sit the second player at your base while you explore the island. He can gather coins from your archers and help with your expansions/recruits. It really made my later playthroughs a lot more efficient, even if you lose some screen space.)

Dumbest trophy of all is having to wait 200 days before returning to an island and fixing a wall. That's why I didn't platinum it until now.

On a side note, I made the badges look nicer on the first page. Organized them by year. Kinda wanted to put all the Gaming by Numbers ones together, but this made more sense...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, it matters. For the majority of the game, you'll be using almost every character on your roster, and it's kinda critical that you level them up together.

This sounds like Miitopia. At first you get three characters, they get kidnapped, you get three new characters, they get kidnapped, you get three more characters, they get kidnapped, and you rescue everyone and find you have nine (bleep bleep) companions who have to share room and start gift exchanges that piss off other companions. And if you don't level everyone to your level, they will DIE against the final boss of the game because EVERYONE has to fight it. :(

At least they put in a stage where you can farm Rare Snurps to get 64000 EXP if you can kill them quickly before they flee. Rare Snurps are kiwi bird creatures that are the Metal Slimes of Miitopia. Also, my cleric got sick and I had to use my stupid weak flower to heal. *cry*

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

So, yeah. I'll recommend this game to my hardcore TBS friends. You're looking at probably 40-50 hours here, if you do most of the side missions and actually read the story, which is presented in visual novel format (similar to the FE games). I think I bought it full price, and I think it's worth that. If you're not into strategy games...eh, there's probably not much here for you. This is a tactical game through and through, and it's one of the best ones I've seen.

Yanno Cassy, I like to think of myself as a pretty nice gem finder of obscure, intriguing, unique games most people who play PS4 don't really bother to look at or think twice about. I'm usually caught up on most latest releases, know every time a major one goes on sale, and at this point - there isn't much that's worth playing that I haven't heard at least the title of.

But this one takes the cake. I've never seen or heard of "Banner of the Maid" in my entire life. I don't even know how that's possible. It's literally the only game besides The Banner Saga series that pops up if you search "banner" on the "Games" section of PSNProfiles. It's never been on sale, so that prolly contributes to it - so I did some digging on the rather absurd aspects as you purported in your review and good lord. What a game man. I can't believe it's GOOD with such a ridiculous premise as you stated at the outset. 

As for whether I'll pick it up or not, forgive me if you've talked further about it elsewhere but my only experience with the Fire Emblem franchise is I played Fire Emblem: Three Houses on the Switch over a year ago, picked the blue team, had a frigging AWESOME time with it since I enjoyed the turn-based aspect of creating your squad, having to be careful with them to avoid perma-death (I killed Ingrid accidentally :(, but Mercedes was my favorite), but once I finished the 1st act of the game - and then just... dropped it. I don't remember not wanting to continue playing. I should get back to it some day. Is there any social aspect ala Persona/Fire Emblem where you rank-up certain members or nah not really? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, realm722 said:

Yanno Cassy, I like to think of myself as a pretty nice gem finder of obscure, intriguing, unique games most people who play PS4 don't really bother to look at or think twice about. I'm usually caught up on most latest releases, know every time a major one goes on sale, and at this point - there isn't much that's worth playing that I haven't heard at least the title of.

But this one takes the cake. I've never seen or heard of "Banner of the Maid" in my entire life.

Cassylvania is the undisputed GOAT when it comes to Niche games.   Half the stuff they play has me saying what the f*** is this. ?

• Like 1

So, yeah. I'll recommend this game to my hardcore TBS friends.

Too late. Already stalked your profile earlier, had a quick look what this is, bought it.

11 hours ago, realm722 said:

As for whether I'll pick it up or not, forgive me if you've talked further about it elsewhere but my only experience with the Fire Emblem franchise is I played Fire Emblem: Three Houses on the Switch over a year ago, picked the blue team, had a frigging AWESOME time with it since I enjoyed the turn-based aspect of creating your squad, having to be careful with them to avoid perma-death (I killed Ingrid accidentally :(, but Mercedes was my favorite), but once I finished the 1st act of the game - and then just... dropped it. I don't remember not wanting to continue playing. I should get back to it some day. Is there any social aspect ala Persona/Fire Emblem where you rank-up certain members or nah not really? 

I watched a whole playthrough. I would have liked to play it myself, but I can't even keep up with my backlog without getting another system.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, realm722 said:

So, for those of you who haven't played an FE game before, what he's referring to is the ability to increase the "support" between two characters by having them fight alongside each other in battle. This would unlock new dialogue and give those characters a temporary boost to their stats whenever they were near each other. Basically, this was shipping before the internet ruined it. But it was neat at the time because it introduced a system that rewarded you for sticking to a smaller cast or your favorite characters and then punished you when one of them died in permadeath mode. Still probably the best way I've seen to get me emotionally invested in virtual people. (And yes, XCOM did it too, and it's why I praise that game so highly.)

Unfortunately, Banner of the Maid has no such thing. It wouldn't really work anyway since the majority of the playable characters are female. (Or, I should say, the majority of the ones I used were female. Desaix is the only dude I thought was even remotely useful. And yes, Oscar is a girl.) I think what most of the people want in a support system is the ability to get two characters (who aren't canonically related) romantically involved, but you'll have to live out those fantasies in your head or your DeviantArt drawings. It's unfortunate too because much of the narrative is about how the various factions of France view Pauline, so there is a sort of built-it "support" system already. It just doesn't apply to individual characters. Instead, you might be given a choice of whether to execute a traitor or put him on trial. There are no wrong answers, but your decision will increase your support from one of the factions, which in turn allows you to buy better items from that faction's shop. So, the reward system is there, but the execution could've used a little work.

As for how I even found out about this game... https://www.50gameslike.com/

You can type in any game and find a list of games that are similar. It's great for niche genres, like farming sims and deck builders, and you can filter out games by platform. That's actually how I found out about that other Banner game you mentioned. It just kept popping up when I'd search for stuff like Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles. The site isn't perfect (sometimes they get the platforms wrong and I don't always agree with the tags), but it's a lot easier than trying to research every new game that comes out only to find out it's another Ratalaika. I'd say that's where the majority of my "What the f***?" games come from.

So, just to walk you through my process... After playing BotM, I might be like, "Yeah, I could go for another game like this," and I'll start searching: https://www.50gameslike.com/games-like/banner-of-the-maid/ps4

Assuming you see the same list as me, I've already completed about half of those games on the first page. Ryza is not a TBS. I don't know why Persona 5 and Yakuza 7 are there. I guess because they're Japanese. Some of them are 2021 releases, like Mercenaries Blaze, which I've been keeping an eye on. I'm not loving the look of Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom. I see similar assets to what they used in Marenian Tavern Story, which I despised. Crystal Ortha might be worth a deeper look. (I look on PSNP and it has a plat rarity of 52%. I probably wouldn't pay $15 for that, but maybe on sale.) Liege Dragon has bad reviews. Wasteland 3 came up again... I come across this one a lot.

You can also search for the top games in each genre. For example, here are the top 50 tactical PS4 games: https://www.50gameslike.com/best-games-by-type/tactical/ps4

That's where I found Wintermoor and Phantom Doctrine. You can see they say Phoenix Point and Into the Breach are on PS4, when they're not (yet). I like to watch "top _____" YouTube videos too, but they miss a lot of the more obscure games.

7 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Too late. Already stalked your profile earlier, had a quick look what this is, bought it.

Hope you like it. Be sure to use a guide to know which trophies are missable. You need to reach level 3 with every faction, but that's not too hard. You also don't have to recruit every character or do every side mission, but you need to do some. The important trophies are related to searching certain areas on specific maps. If you miss one of those items, I imagine you'd have to replay the whole game. But there is a Story Mode, so you might be able to blast through it...

I also forgot to mention the difficulty options. On the hardest difficulty, you're allowed ONE save per chapter. (You could suspend your game and back it up to the cloud if you're desperate, but I never found a reason to do that. Most chapters are done in 12 turns in less.) I think that's a good compromise too. I'd usually save my game about halfway through the chapter. Sometimes after finishing off the first wave of enemies. It's usually easier for me to reload an earlier save than having to start a battle from scratch, if only because it gives me something to work with.

More weird niche games to come.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Hope you like it. Be sure to use a guide to know which trophies are missable.

Oh no. First playthrough is blind. I don't mind clean-up work with a good game (goes well with watching let's plays on youtube, and if the game is bad, I won't plat it anyway.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:08 PM, Cassylvania said:

As for how I even found out about this game... https://www.50gameslike.com/

You can type in any game and find a list of games that are similar. It's great for niche genres, like farming sims and deck builders, and you can filter out games by platform. That's actually how I found out about that other Banner game you mentioned. It just kept popping up when I'd search for stuff like Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles. The site isn't perfect (sometimes they get the platforms wrong and I don't always agree with the tags), but it's a lot easier than trying to research every new game that comes out only to find out it's another Ratalaika. I'd say that's where the majority of my "What the f***?" games come from.

So, just to walk you through my process... After playing BotM, I might be like, "Yeah, I could go for another game like this," and I'll start searching: https://www.50gameslike.com/games-like/banner-of-the-maid/ps4

Assuming you see the same list as me, I've already completed about half of those games on the first page. Ryza is not a TBS. I don't know why Persona 5 and Yakuza 7 are there. I guess because they're Japanese. Some of them are 2021 releases, like Mercenaries Blaze, which I've been keeping an eye on. I'm not loving the look of Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom. I see similar assets to what they used in Marenian Tavern Story, which I despised. Crystal Ortha might be worth a deeper look. (I look on PSNP and it has a plat rarity of 52%. I probably wouldn't pay $15 for that, but maybe on sale.) Liege Dragon has bad reviews. Wasteland 3 came up again... I come across this one a lot.

You can also search for the top games in each genre. For example, here are the top 50 tactical PS4 games: https://www.50gameslike.com/best-games-by-type/tactical/ps4

Thank you for the clarification on BotM - and wow... what a website! Dunno how I haven't stumbled upon it in the past. The website is a bit laggy for me but it's definitely one I'm gonna keep in the holster. Some interesting finds from some of my favorite games that I searched.

Pyre - So many sports games lol, Banner Saga 1, Videoball, Asdivine Cross?, but mostly stuff I've heard of and am not interested in

Gravity Rush 2 - Olija?, Narita Boy? Basically every major PS4 entry, Minoria?, 

Dead Cells - Abyss Odyssey?, Chasm (LMAO), Eagle Island Twist, Steredenn

Slay the Spire - DungenTop, Rise of the Slime, Roguebook, Neoverse

Persona 5 - Tokyo Xanadu, Earthlock, DQ11, Disgaea, Ikenfell?, Shadows of Adam

Okay I've gotta admit - I'm super impressed. There were obviously a lot of "off" suggestions (games I've played that I 100% wouldn't compare to one another) - but due to the shotgun spread of suggestions, you're gonna find something that looks interesting based on the screenshot that'll catch your eye. Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...