Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

On 4/15/2022 at 4:56 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I played a couple of Tales games, starting back on PS2 (can't remember which one), and with each, my interest waned more. The only one I liked Tales of Xilia. I don't think I'll try another.

The only Tales game I ever played(other than two minutes on Tales of Phantasia before I threw up in my mouth and deleted it off my emulator) was Tales of Symphonia for the GameCube, and that was the only Tales game I completed because the story was interesting. Sadly, all Tales games are boring because of their constant skits and the titles I had to get for Symphonia were bad and required you to abstain from doing certain things until way late in the game, like not using healing items until you got to the second half of the game. X(

On 4/24/2022 at 5:05 PM, Cassylvania said:

Anyway, I'm assuming a lot of you have already played this since (a) it's a fairly easy/short/cheap game, and (b) the Hitman series is apparently very popular.

Yes, I have the platinum for this because it's a very short game and if you just look at the guide online while playing it, you can pretty much blind run it and clear all the puzzles. The boards were bad as hell, it wasn't like Lara Croft GO which had animations, it was just moving Agent 47 chess piece all over the board to knock other chess pieces off the board. It felt like bad mojo chess and I really hated it. :(

However, while the Hitman series is popular, this game is a terrible rendition of the story of Agent 47 and it never mentioned he did a stint as an Italian Tomato Farmer while confessing his sins... which he ended up compounding when some idiot mafia kidnapped and murdered the priest he was confessing to. If I were Don Giovanni, the last thing I would do would make a priest which a former assassin is praying to have an 'accident.' xD

If I wanted to do something while my other game was AFKing auto-battling, I'd just play Pokemon Shining Pearl. :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Unfortunately, SpongeBob kinda came out at a time when I felt I was getting too old for cartoons (joke's on me -- I watched them more in college than I ever did as a kid) and I sorta have a love/hate relationship with the show because it really did lead to what I consider the downfall of Nickelodeon. Nowadays, it's all they ever show, and the quality really went downhill after the third season. I hate to be "that guy," but this is the first show I think of when I need an example of something that's way past its prime. (Yes, even moreso than The Simpsons.)

I feel like you're gonna need to be placed into a witness protection program Cassy since this is one of a handful of times in my history of using the internet that I've seen someone not talk positively about SpongeBob lmao. Honestly, I never watched it and when I did I thought the characters were largely annoying. The show has seen a second life of sorts given how insanely popular some memes of screenshots of the show have gone but aside from that I never got much entertainment out of it. Think I'll stay away from the game for now even though I claimed it for free as you did but it seems like it's only really worthy as a game you'll enjoy if you're a fan of the show. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #306 - SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/0269a6/trophies/1Lf1d815.png

Good shit! Though the little interest I had in playing this just evaporated I think?

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Unfortunately, SpongeBob kinda came out at a time when I felt I was getting too old for cartoons (joke's on me -- I watched them more in college than I ever did as a kid) and I sorta have a love/hate relationship with the show because it really did lead to what I consider the downfall of Nickelodeon. Nowadays, it's all they ever show, and the quality really went downhill after the third season. I hate to be "that guy," but this is the first show I think of when I need an example of something that's way past its prime. (Yes, even moreso than The Simpsons.)

I feel that pretty hard. I grew up on Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life so by the time SpongeBob rolled around I just wasn't impressed. It didn't feel like anything new to me, and I wasn't exactly on the hunt for new cartoons at the time either!

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

Think I'll stay away from the game for now even though I claimed it for free as you did but it seems like it's only really worthy as a game you'll enjoy if you're a fan of the show. 

I claimed it too, but wasn't sure that I'd ever actually download it. Looks like that problem just got solved for me?

• Like 2

The problem with Spongebob is he's still everywhere now. Everyone in America has forgotten about Doug, Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Rocket Power, Cat Dog, etc etc etc. Nickelodeon even had live action game shows!

Anyone remember GUTS?

All the little kids I know in my life just know Spongebob because he's the only thing left from Nickelodeon who is still..... semi watchable. After Nick Studio 10 I was done with Nickelodeon. It's just an embarrassment and a hollow shell of what it used to be. Even the shows aimed at toddlers like Blue's Clues were multitudes better than the stuff Nickelodeon has now.

Thankfully, you can watch GUTS from all those years ago on Paramount Plus, which is a streaming service I've been getting into lately.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:26 PM, realm722 said:

I feel like you're gonna need to be placed into a witness protection program Cassy since this is one of a handful of times in my history of using the internet that I've seen someone not talk positively about SpongeBob lmao. Honestly, I never watched it and when I did I thought the characters were largely annoying. The show has seen a second life of sorts given how insanely popular some memes of screenshots of the show have gone but aside from that I never got much entertainment out of it. Think I'll stay away from the game for now even though I claimed it for free as you did but it seems like it's only really worthy as a game you'll enjoy if you're a fan of the show. 

I have to agree. I only saw, I think, one episode of SpongeBob where he was roped into testing Sandy's device and he was running around trying to attend Patrick's birthday party and get to his job with Mr. Krabbs and the idea was this was supposed to be a moral fable about people not being everywhere at once... and then Sandy's device is revealed to be a cloning device so SpongeBob COULD be everywhere at once. :P

However I've seen the sponge be used in so many meme pics that it's hilarious. xD

To be honest, after the horror episode of Ren and Stimpy where Ren brainwashes Stimpy to be happy, I am glad Nickoolodeon is dying because I miss the old days of Pinwheel from 9 AM to 3 PM on weekdays for the little toddlers to watch and then the more adult Tomorrow People, Double Dare and You Can't Do That On Television for school kids to watch while doing their homework after coming home from school and then Nick at Nite showing reruns of old black and white shows. ^_^

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I first heard about Songbird Symphony from @realm722. I had to go back and re-read his review, which was less positive than I remembered. I guess I bought the game because it's always on sale for dirt cheap. For what it's worth, I actually agree with him on his two major points. I don't have much to add, so I guess I'll just reiterate those points.

Ayyyy the rare time I end up helping you uncover a game! I also had to go back a re-read my review to remember how I felt lol. I think my tone was just about right with how I felt. I enjoyed all of the story beats but the fact the game didn't even require you to earn B-ranks on all the songs just to make you put in a little bit of effort was a shame. Nonetheless, a leisure experience is also cool and the game is cute and fuffy enough that it I didn't mind it being such a cakewalk. 

I also see you started that Friends of Mineral Town. ? Any early vibes you'd like to unveil given I believe it's a pretty lengthy plat? (I've had a farming sim itch for a lil while now)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, realm722 said:

I also see you started that Friends of Mineral Town. 1f440.png Any early vibes you'd like to unveil given I believe it's a pretty lengthy plat? (I've had a farming sim itch for a lil while now)

You could do better (which is painful to say because Harvest Moon is one of my favorite game series and FoMT is one of the best games in that series). The problem here is that you need to get to year 4 to grow the best crops and year 5 to get a trophy, but you're likely to run out of things to do by year 2...especially if you've played the game before or abuse the horse derby. Basically, a typical day in the game for me now is to tend to my animals, throw a flower in the river for the Harvest Goddess, and go to bed. There's no reason to grow crops anymore because I have all the money I need, and there's no reason to go into town because the townspeople already love me. A lot of farming sims suffer from a bottleneck problem and here it's getting animals to like you.

If you really want a farming sim, play My Time at Portia, Kitaria Fables, Graveyard Keeper, or Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, all of which are shorter and have combat/RPG elements that break up the monotony.

• Like 2

You got around to N.E.R.O. very late. 

I just rented this game from GameFly when I was still paying a subscription for it. 

Followed a YouTuber named @Stay-Pationt, who quit YouTube five years ago and whom made a trophy guide for the entire game. Followed it start to finish. 

All I have to say is N.E.R.O. basically helped me stay away from the walking simulator genre. Since 2018 I have played maybe one or two games in that genre. 

Just like with Japanese visual novels, walking simulators really aren’t for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #311 - Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

Good lord... well, you did a fantastic job of warding me off this game lmao. So many hyper-specific details of annoyances with each minuscule aspect of the game. Props for remembering each of them and the fact that despite all of that you're 100% down to play Pioneers of Olive Town is precisely why you're the best to do it ?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:14 PM, Cassylvania said:

There's no reason to grow crops anymore because I have all the money I need, and there's no reason to go into town because the townspeople already love me. A lot of farming sims suffer from a bottleneck problem and here it's getting animals to like you.

There's no option to get married in that game? I know every Harvest Moon I know of, and Stardew Valley which borrows heavily from that series, lets you romance a character(of the opposite gender, I'd love to see a Stardew Valley 2 where you could have same-sex marriage, but I know it would get shut down by the ESRB ASAP :() and get married to them and even have a couple of kids(thought the maker of Stardew Valley dropped the ball in not having your kids grow up from babies, it would be neat to see them wandering around the farm petting your cat or dog and helping harvest the crops ^_^).

Why don't I play it? The stupid arcade game. You know which one I speak of. :shakefist:

Also, I'm sure you are aware I have had many old accounts(and just started a new one which will only have platinums of games I enjoyed playing and took a bit of time and effort. I'm already at 5 with Cat Quest, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Shantae and the Seven Sirens, Reverie for the PS4, and Dragon Quest Builders) and I platinum N.E.R.O. and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture on my first few accounts. After that, I got so bored of them, and the fact that you have to play the game on a Thursday to get one trophy in N.E.R.O. immediately shut me off of that game for good. Rapture was kicked from my list of future accounts for the fact that it was so easy to miss collectibles because you had to center the camera so that the game registered those maps and TVs as being collected. :(

Edited by winter_bird_22

On 6/5/2022 at 6:32 PM, Cassylvania said:

To get Wool (X), you need to first have a sheep that can produce Wool (P). This requires letting the sheep graze for 1000 in-game hours and winning the Fluffy Festival, which is only held once per year in Autumn. You now have a 0.4% chance of getting Wool (X) every time you shear your sheep. So...get ready to save scum. A lot. And then get ready to do it a second time because you need another to make Yarn (X).

You're talking a guy who had to breed and race Chocobos in FFVII to get the Gold Chocobo to get Thordain and his Heaven's Ward to rain down destruction on every boss in the game after he got to Disc 2, and the guy who is just gonna use the god mode to have Yuffie All Creation the LIVING F'K out of Ruby Weapon to get the desert rose to get that damn chocobo. ;p

Don't talk to me about having to breed animals a zillion times and then get them to win a contest. I'd rather win the damn Lucarionite from Alicia in Omega Ruby than have to do any more breeding of chocobos. :spank:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, winter_bird_22 said:

There's no option to get married in that game? I know every Harvest Moon I know of, and Stardew Valley which borrows heavily from that series, lets you romance a character(of the opposite gender, I'd love to see a Stardew Valley 2 where you could have same-sex marriage, but I know it would get shut down by the ESRB ASAP :() and get married to them and even have a couple of kids(thought the maker of Stardew Valley dropped the ball in not having your kids grow up from babies, it would be neat to see them wandering around the farm petting your cat or dog and helping harvest the crops ^_^).

Why don't I play it? The stupid arcade game. You know which one I speak of. :shakefist:

You can have a same-sex marriage in Stardew Valley - my female character is married to Abigail and we have two babies, children in the game do grow up from babies they just never go past the toddler stage. 

9 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I’m not sure why you need a new account for that. At some point, you're probably going to play something new that you may or may not like. You can tell by my reviews that I have lots of games I regret playing, despite generally going into most games thinking I'm going to have a good time.

That’s true, but you also have the choice to walk away from the games if you don’t like them. Even games that were critically acclaimed and recommended. 

Being a completionist however, you may end up actually really enjoying the games, or hating yourself until the game is finally done. I’ve had several instances of games that gave me bad first impressions. Upon playing them past the entry point, I ended up immersed and satisfied.

2 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

You can have a same-sex marriage in Stardew Valley - my female character is married to Abigail and we have two babies, children in the game do grow up from babies they just never go past the toddler stage. 

That's what I was talking about. I would like to see Stardew kids get out of diapers and become kid-stage and walk around in overalls and stuff. They could go the way of The Sims Medieval (which will piss off a lot of people as EA decided to drop it from their store so you can't get it unless you go to Ebay and even then you can't run it on today's computers which is stupid), in which you can make babies, but they never enter puberty unless the parent which has a class dies (which only happens by feeding them to the Beast or killing in a duel, because everyone is ageless since Maxis decided to make it a fantasy game and save money not programming in time progression ;p) so they could just have your Stardew Kids age up to kids and never become adults. Although I'm sure Cassy doesn't like that because Harvest Moon had actually time progression where kids grew up. <_<

(Glad to hear there are same sex marriages. Then again, someone did a Sims 4 story which was basically a Sims 4 retelling of Stardew Valley and one of the couples was two gay guys. ;))

Even then, I am still not touching this game, not only for the damn arcade game, but because I have trouble micromanaging. I constantly use motive cheats on The Sims 4 so I would just kill my save file if any of my crops die. xD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

(1) That’s true, but you also have the choice to walk away from the games if you don’t like them. Even games that were critically acclaimed and recommended. 

(2) Being a completionist however, you may end up actually really enjoying the games, or hating yourself until the game is finally done. I’ve had several instances of games that gave me bad first impressions. Upon playing them past the entry point, I ended up immersed and satisfied.

(1) I know that and I have messed around with non-connected burner accounts to try out games. I made one to test out FFX remastered and while it was not too bad in the first part, the dread of having to dodge 200 lightning bolts turned me off again so luckily I didn't have any trophies to deal with. Burner accounts are basically the taste-testers of your main account. If you run into total hot garbage like, speaking, Starbucks 2000* which is a DOOM-clone where you shoot Starbucks girls who are spouting valley-girl speak with lasers and you got disgusted by the fact that you had to kill 6000 of these stereotyped tropes to get a trophy, you could delete the game and it would not reflect on your account as a diseased tumor which you could never remove because PSN won't let you delete trophy lists. (Yes, I said diseased tumor but that's because I am a completionist and I will get flak for that, so forgive me.)

* Also, Starbucks 2000 does not exist, it is a meme I used to protect the names of any actual games. (The meme came from watching a video of someone playing Pokemon Omega Ruby and giving the female rival, May, a valley-girl voice and being obsessed with Starbucks. I know Starbucks is the AAA coffee shop but I don't get the trope, but it was funny so I used it. xD)

(2) I do concur that one should not judge a book by its cover. I once thought Pokemon looked like horse-dookey when the original Red and Blue came out. A year later, when I accidentally saw the anime episode showing Ash getting bodied by Brock and then getting the Boulderbadge(which was the first episode of Pokemon I ever saw, and it was the fifth episode so I missed the whole thing about Ash catching Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest), I decided to try Pokemon Red. Needless to say, I now own almost every main game in the series and have Legends Arceus on my Switch Lite. That sort of proves your point. :)

If you are worried you will hate a game or want to see if a game is doable, that's what the burner accounts are for, they are blank non-network accounts that, due to the way the PS4 runs, lets you play any game you bought on other accounts. Before that, doing some research in the trophy lists is also a good idea.

11 hours ago, winter_bird_22 said:

(1) I know that and I have messed around with non-connected burner accounts to try out games. I made one to test out FFX remastered and while it was not too bad in the first part, the dread of having to dodge 200 lightning bolts turned me off again so luckily I didn't have any trophies to deal with. Burner accounts are basically the taste-testers of your main account. If you run into total hot garbage like, speaking, Starbucks 2000* which is a DOOM-clone where you shoot Starbucks girls who are spouting valley-girl speak with lasers and you got disgusted by the fact that you had to kill 6000 of these stereotyped tropes to get a trophy, you could delete the game and it would not reflect on your account as a diseased tumor which you could never remove because PSN won't let you delete trophy lists. (Yes, I said diseased tumor but that's because I am a completionist and I will get flak for that, so forgive me.)

* Also, Starbucks 2000 does not exist, it is a meme I used to protect the names of any actual games. (The meme came from watching a video of someone playing Pokemon Omega Ruby and giving the female rival, May, a valley-girl voice and being obsessed with Starbucks. I know Starbucks is the AAA coffee shop but I don't get the trope, but it was funny so I used it. xD)

I believe you can run a script for that one particular task/trophy, although I can't confirm this.

I have a "burner account" so to speak. Look up Gibberaphobia on PSNP. Has a bunch of unfinished games with only one completed.

Regardless of how bad Starbucks 2000 sounds, it probably ain't as bad as Orc Slayer, or even Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space. Both are utter garbage, and I did both specifically for the easy trophies. So I'm definitely guilty of gaining easy trophies every now and then instead of buying a game because I was genuinely interested in it.

Starbucks is a shit corporation. Hope it eventually goes out of business sooner rather than later.

11 hours ago, winter_bird_22 said:

(2) I do concur that one should not judge a book by its cover. I once thought Pokemon looked like horse-dookey when the original Red and Blue came out. A year later, when I accidentally saw the anime episode showing Ash getting bodied by Brock and then getting the Boulderbadge(which was the first episode of Pokemon I ever saw, and it was the fifth episode so I missed the whole thing about Ash catching Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest), I decided to try Pokemon Red. Needless to say, I now own almost every main game in the series and have Legends Arceus on my Switch Lite. That sort of proves your point. :)

If you are worried you will hate a game or want to see if a game is doable, that's what the burner accounts are for, they are blank non-network accounts that, due to the way the PS4 runs, lets you play any game you bought on other accounts. Before that, doing some research in the trophy lists is also a good idea.

I do this all the time. That's why I still have a 97 percent completion rate. Otherwise I'd be sitting at 70 - 80 percent completion.