Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Huh, I'll try to fix it. The image is actually kinda cool... bee-lieve it or not.

...Sorry.

I was about to say congratulations and stuff, but nevermind...

naaaah, I smirked ngl. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with Tropico 6 but at least you're already done!! and you are close to 365 which is a GREAT number, one of my favorites so I hope the next plat review will live up to my expectations ? if it's 13 Sentinels, oh lord, It will.

Good luck and congrats!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Huh, I'll try to fix it. The image is actually kinda cool... bee-lieve it or not.

...Sorry.

Hey, don't apologize. It happens. As long as you fixed it, that's fine with me. ;)

Just knocked out a ton of POWGI word puzzle games just to get enough platinum trophy title names for the Platinum Title club. Never expected to get the pun-cracking dog out but I could have done worse. I could have playing The Jumping Food games. xD

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #361 - Green Hell

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/37b92b/trophies/1Lcb29bf.png

Nice writeup Cassy.. I have this one on the backlog for future and your reviews are always fun to read. I was surprised to find out this game is getting a PSVR2 version this year and now I might wait on this game as it just might fix the majority of the control issues you described. Never in a million years would this have been a game I would have thought would get a PSVR2 treatment though. Definitely interested...

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/02/23/dive-into-the-jungle-with-green-hell-vr-on-playstation-vr2-out-2023/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

Nice writeup Cassy.. I have this one on the backlog for future and your reviews are always fun to read. I was surprised to find out this game is getting a PSVR2 version this year and now I might wait on this game as it just might fix the majority of the control issues you described. Never in a million years would this have been a game I would have thought would get a PSVR2 treatment though. Definitely interested...

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/02/23/dive-into-the-jungle-with-green-hell-vr-on-playstation-vr2-out-2023/

That's...actually horrifying. I don't know if I went into detail about this in my review, but some of the wounds you get in the game are really disgusting or uncomfortable to look at. I don't think that would be a game I'd want to play in VR.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:17 AM, Puppeter04 said:

I naaaah, I smirked ngl. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with Tropico 6 but at least you're already done!! and you are close to 365 which is a GREAT number, one of my favorites so I hope the next plat review will live up to my expectations 1f61b.png if it's 13 Sentinels, oh lord, It will.

Good luck and congrats!

Your wish is my command. Hopefully I can finish tonight.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ok, let me read it ?

Superb, as always, it is difficult not to give spoilers away trying to explain a game like this. According to Vanillaware is their best game to this date and I'm a sucker for the mecha genre in anime so I gave this a try on switch. 

Indeed, the artwork and voice acting was amazing. My only complaint is that the combats lack difficulty and variety but its story and narrative are way enough to make me forget about that.

Thank you for your service! What's next? :o 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

And since this IS a game with multiple characters, I know you're dying to know who my favorite is. Well, I'm currently in the process of renovating a house so that I can move in. I want to have a gaming room in that house and I've been looking up stuff I can buy to put in that room. One of the things I was thinking of buying is a statue. I've had one of Velvet and Cornelius (from Odin Sphere Leifthrasir) in my cart for six years, but never pulled the trigger because the price was too high. I thought they'd have one of every character, but the only one I came across was for Natsuno, who was by far my favorite character and I'm assuming a lot of other people's too. I also liked the hemborger guy a lot. If the price goes down a little on that statue, I'll buy it.

As for statues, I am afraid it'll be like it always is - that only the girls will get figures. There are others than Natsuno, have a look here (for prepainted figures).

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

To complicate things further, the story is told non-linearly.

That's the biggest appeal to me with this game. Bit by bit, you uncover more, and the next guy will discover things in a different order.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

As for statues, I am afraid it'll be like it always is - that only the girls will get figures. There are others than Natsuno, have a look here (for prepainted figures).

That's why I like the Velvet and Cornelius statue. You're kinda getting a twofer. Same for Natsuno and B.J., which is why I'd probably get that.

Thanks for the link. I didn't see the other Natsuno statue. I might like that one more because it's a clear E.T. reference, which might fit my retro theme more. There was this really cool Resident Evil 2 metal print somebody did that was designed to look like an old horror movie poster. Can't find it anymore. I'll have to think what other characters and games I'd like to have represented in my gaming room...

Already have an XCOM poster. Don't worry about that.

18 minutes ago, Puppeter04 said:

Thank you for your service! What's next? :o

Hm. I kinda want to do Scarlet Nexus now that it's gone free, but I should probably get back to The DioField Chronicle. I have a tendency to sit on active games for too long. I'm not too worried about Elden Ring since I can obviously play that at any time and be fine, but I'm starting to see a bit too many unfinished games on my profile. New DLCs are killing me. (And yes, guys. I know The Long Dark is about to rear its ugly head again. I'm ready to finish that game once and for all.)

I do have a couple smaller indie titles that I'm close to finishing, so maybe we'll get those next. We also have to get ready for another immature milestone.

26 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Thanks for the link. I didn't see the other Natsuno statue. I might like that one more because it's a clear E.T. reference, which might fit my retro theme more. There was this really cool Resident Evil 2 metal print somebody did that was designed to look like an old horror movie poster. Can't find it anymore. I'll have to think what other characters and games I'd like to have represented in my gaming room...

Is it games before a certain era/age or also new(er) games with a retro feel you're looking for?

1 hour ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Is it games before a certain era/age or also new(er) games with a retro feel you're looking for?

Eh, I don't even have the drywall up yet. I'm working on the color scheme and layout first. I'm debating between light purple walls with gray vinyl flooring (with white and black furniture) for a sleek modern look or cream-colored walls with brown fleck carpeting for a more cozy feel. (Yes, I've been watching too many videos on this stuff.) I'm leaning towards the latter. If I do that, I'm probably going to move away from the retro look altogether and maybe have a lot of plants and rustic-looking stuff. Not sure sci-fi anime girls will go with that. Maybe Ryza. We'll see.

Now, if I went straight up retro, I'd want stuff either from that era or designed to look like it's from that era. I actually kinda prefer modern stuff that looks retro, since I think traditional retro stuff is overdone and I admittedly grew up a little bit past the era of the true NES or arcade classics. But I'll have a basement in this house that I'll eventually convert into a sports bar, so I'm not against doing a retro theme down there. If flooding isn't an issue, I might even get an arcade machine or two.

I'll keep you guys updated and show you pictures when I'm done.

58 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #367 - The DioField Chronicle

Someone mentioned this game to me before it was released and it's one of the rare times I tried the demo of a game. This was probably a mistake on their part as I couldn't even get through the whole demo because I didn't see much depth there and I have pretty good tolerance for tactical RPGs.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. This is the second time in three months that I bought an SRPG on release day and got burned. The only real debate I have during this review is whether this game was a bigger ripoff than Tactics Ogre: Reborn.

Oh no, I have both games in my backlog. Hopefully, my standards are lower.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Someone mentioned this game to me before it was released and it's one of the rare times I tried the demo of a game. This was probably a mistake on their part as I couldn't even get through the whole demo because I didn't see much depth there and I have pretty good tolerance for tactical RPGs.

If the demo had you select a character, move them, and use a skill, you've played the entire game already. No need for the full 40 hour borefest.

2 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Oh no, I have both games in my backlog. Hopefully, my standards are lower.

Hm. You'll probably like TOR. I feel like I'd be in the minority in not liking that game. I feel it does a better job at being a TBS than DioField does at being an RTS, if that makes sense. DioField has mixed reviews, though, so I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

To think I could've per-ordered Ryza 3 instead...

On 2.3.2023 at 11:05 PM, Cassylvania said:

Hm. You'll probably like TOR.

I could make a Fry meme out of this: Don't know if encouragement... or backhanded compliment.

Well, it'll be a couple of months until my first playthrough of Pathfinder: WOTR is done, until then I'll maybe have forgotten that those games may (or may not) be bad.

22 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Well, it'll be a couple of months until my first playthrough of Pathfinder: WOTR is done, until then I'll maybe have forgotten that those games may (or may not) be bad.

I'll be interested in your opinions on that game. I was debating on playing Kingmaker sometime this year. (Not so sure now...)

On 3/3/2023 at 8:45 AM, Taruta13 said:

Sorry you paid $70 for a game that is brain-dead. Also I noticed that you have Forma-8 on your card. Probably de-tox? :)

No, I'm still feeling pretty toxic. Let's get into it.

Platinum #368 - Forma.8

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/20e9cf/trophies/1L0c8b1c.png

Forma.8 is a sort of Metroidvania that has you taking the role of...I dunno, some little black ball with eyes. Let's call him Domeguy. Like most games in this genre, Domeguy begins with very few skills (literally zero), but eventually picks up a couple abilities that help with traversal and combat. What sets this game apart from most Metroidvanias is how nuanced everything is. Domeguy isn't a fighter. Domeguy isn't even a central figure in this world. From what I could tell (because there's no apparent plot or dialogue), Domeguy is just one of many little black balls roaming the universe. The developers intended for you to feel insignificant, as Domeguy is smaller and far less powerful than the creatures you will come across. Your attacks feel like little more than mosquito bites, with Domeguy only filling up a tiny fraction of the screen at any one time (even less when the camera decides to pan out) and the extent from his bombs/bloops not being much bigger.

Atmospherically, this game is good. The music and graphics are both minimal and subtle. I like the overuse of black. It reminds me of those "silhouette" levels in the newer Donkey Kong games, where you can only differentiate between background objects due to their shape and relative size. It really makes the areas that are colored in pop out. There's also some good use of lighting. I don't think games need to be more complicated than this. There's also some ASMR stuff going on when you pick up multiple energy orbs in a row. They go bleep bleep bleep at increasingly lower frequencies, like running your finger across the keys of a piano, and it's so satisfying.

The controls are pretty good too. Domeguy is always flying and there's a realistic momentum to his movements. He can't just turn on a dime like some protagonists. He has to stop and regain his speed. This makes the bomb + bloop attack (dropping a bomb, moving slightly away from it, and then blooping to launch it in a particular direction) a bit tricky to pull off. I don't know if that's a better strategy than just dropping bombs randomly and hoping your target runs into them. In some cases, you have multiple ways you can kill some enemies. In others -- particularly boss fights -- it seems only one strategy works. Much of the game is a puzzle and it's up to you to figure out the best way to approach enemies and sticky situations, which is not always a good thing in Metroidvanias because you're never sure if you even have the correct skills to defeat that enemy. In this game, it's sometimes not even clear if an enemy is taking damage. I wasted a lot of time backtracking because I reached an enemy I thought was unkillable, but was actually necessary to advance to the next area. In another instance, I thought an enemy was taking damage because I got auditory feedback when I hit him, but I realized I was wasting my time when he was still alive after 20 or 30 hits. I know this game is going for the minimalist approach, but I would've appreciated an enemy health bar.

That's not my biggest complain, though. I actually disliked this game for one simple reason. Domeguy is TOO. FUCKIN'. SLOW. I get that the developers wanted you to feel small, but did they have to make you feel as slow as ass too? It is infuriating, and makes what could be a relaxing experience into an absolute slog. I'm not kidding when I say it could take several minutes to cross a single room. Imagine backtracking. Imagine searching for collectibles (which you WILL have to do). Imagine dying, which sends you back to the start of the screen you were just on, resetting all of the enemies. There's this one room, guys, where you have to bloop (or bomb) an object about a hundred times in order to get it to its destination. The whole game is a maze too, so it's very likely you'll take the wrong path. And it's not like other games, where it's no trouble at all to scout ahead. It could take you two minutes to fly all the way down one path, make sure it's the right path, and then another two minutes to get back. All this with very little to do along the way, mind you. You're very rarely "fighting" enemies. It's not satisfying to kill them, like in other games. It's more like a chore or a necessity. The only thing they ever drop is health, which you only ever need because you took damage from fighting them. It's an odd design choice and I'm not sure why the developers thought any of this would be fun.

Most of my other problems with the game are only compounded because of the movement speed. Some of the puzzles, for example, are obscure. I don't know how you would think to do some things that the game never teaches you. You would be fucked without the compass, which I don't think you'd ever find without a guide. The compass highlights any room that still has at least one collectible. Keep in mind you still have to get there and slowly navigate the room. Some of the collectibles are hidden passages, which have no indication that they even exist. At least two required me to ram myself into the wall repeatedly, probably a few hundred times before I found a path. How's that for a metaphor of my life? If I didn't have a second TV in my room so that I could watch other stuff while holding a single direction on my joystick for several minutes, I would've gone insane.

The nicest thing I can say about this game is that out of all the games I've played and disliked, this would be the easiest one to fix. Just make Domeguy about five times faster. That would make finding collectibles and backtracking a lot more enjoyable. The obscure puzzles wouldn't bother me as much. I might even consider this game a hidden gem (well, as hidden as a game with 44k+ owners on PSNP can be). Unfortunately, my biggest pet peeve is when I feel a video game is wasting my time, and this is just the latest and greatest example of that. I can only recommend this game if you're on a business trip or something equally boring and need a way to occupy yourself in the hotel room.

• Like 4

On 5.3.2023 at 6:22 PM, Cassylvania said:

I'll be interested in your opinions on that game. I was debating on playing Kingmaker sometime this year. (Not so sure now...)

I loved Kingmaker. It's really gets the pen & paper feeling across. What I love most about is that one level can make a difference between being beaten to a pulp and sweeping that fight (on hard or unfair difficulty). You'll yearn to gain a level.

As always, I made a blind first playthrough, on the second haredest difficulty, which is why it took me almost two months, and I loved it. It was really satisfying to play through the story, learning the system. Unfair mode really is unfair, you can and will get one-shotted quite a lot. (Unfair has padded enemy base stats and damage and all the nonsense that goes with it). You'll start to catch up at level 5, it gets easier then. Up to this point, though, some fights are hair-rippingly annoying. And you'll need to think about which stats and abilities you'll pick. It really matters on higher difficulties.

Battles have two modes: turn-based and real time with pause.

Besides the MC-plus-party section, Kingmaker has a realm mode, where you develop your land, annex regions, appoint advisors and steer your fiefdom to where you want it. Not everybody likes this section (you can lose the game if something goes awry there). I liked it and found it not to be diffcult.

You'll need to invest a serious amount of time in this game, and naturally it is story heavy. If you skip reading, you'll regret it later, because some decisions are crucial later on. Depends on how you judge: Either you need soooo much time to plat it, or you get hundreds of hours of gameplay for small bucks.

Three warnings:

1. Kingmaker has timed quests. Failing those will lead to a game over. I liked the urgency and found the time limits to be reasonable enough to be able to explore and do everything, but some people hate timed quests.

2. Kingmaker has a rogue-like dungeon, and one nasty trophy is tied to running through over and over until

a. the RNG gods drop you the needed items of which you need to collect four sets of four

b. after getting the full set the RNG gods spawn the matching Boss to drop a fifth item to this set (you bet the won't).

3. There is a secret ending

4 of 3: One trophy is tied to the unfair mode.

With the exception of the dungeon trophy, I loved the game. I will not recommend it, though, because whenever I recommend a game, people don't like it. If trophies > gameplay, probably too much of an investment. Anybody who just wants to play a nice cRPG, here's your game. Play at your own risk.

If you don't mind spoilers, find a let's play and watch the intro to get a grasp on how the game works (the first couple of hours is a tutorial quest intro, so there isn't that much to be spoilered). Find one with character creation, though. If that turns you off, it's not the game you want to play. Cohh's (unfinished) let's play, although on PC, would be one: here

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I can only recommend this game if you're on a business trip or something equally boring and need a way to occupy yourself in the hotel room.

No thanks. One, the trip I'm taking on the 20th is not a business trip, it's a vacay because two, I'm using the trip to Universal Studios and the Harry Potter theme parks there to supplement my playthrough of Hogwarts Legacy to get a real life feeling of wandering Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley. ;) (My mom gets to see her siblings in Orlando so it let me save on hotel fare, though I'd be sharing a room with my parents even though it's a two-bedroom suite.) So I already have something to occupy myself in the hotel. In fact, that's why I want to be in a hotel instead of camping in my uncle's house for the four days. (Also, I doubt they'd have room for me and I'd have to share dinner with them. xD)

Three, I think I have played Forma-8 and I sort of agree that the game wasn't really great. I never understood why, but now you'd revealed the flaw - movement is sluggish as hell. So thankfully I am not touching that game ever again. :P

I hope your next game is positive. I'm running Wild ARMs and if you haven't played it yet, you can just use a dupe glitch on the apples to buff everyone's stats so that you one-shot everything and six-shot all bosses. ^_^

• Like 1

D-D-Double platinum night.

#370 - Time on Frog Island

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/cbc19d/trophies/1L00fa02.png

Is this game worth your time or should it just hop away now? OK, I'll stop.

I wasn't sure what to make of Time on Frog Island when I came across a review a few days ago. It looked cute. Sorta like a mix between Animal Crossing and the ten thousand survival games I keep saying I'm going to play. But it was short (and, more importantly, on sale), so I figured it'd be a good break from forma.8, which was seriously pissing me off due to its slow movement speed. I figured it'd be a relaxing game and, you know, frogs are kinda fast. How bad could it be?

You already know if I'm asking that, it's pretty bad. But let's give it a fair chance, shall we? It looked promising enough.

So, the plot here isn't that different from Bugsnax or Yoku's Island Express. You play as a kid (who sounds like a man) who crashes on an island and needs to fix his boat in order to escape. Much like those other games, the island is full of furries (or whatever you'd call frog people -- scalies?). Unlike those games, though, there is absolutely zero dialogue in this game. Yes, we're back to that theme again. It does the Tails of Iron pictures-over-the-head kind of thing to tell the story, as well as single still frames every time you go to sleep. The latter is kinda neat because you only get one frame per night, so it takes about a full in-game week to get the entire story. After that, the cycle essentially repeats. This is going to be how most of this review goes, but I liked the idea -- just not the execution. There really isn't much of a plot here beyond what you'll probably figure out for yourself in the first hour, and none of the "bubble" dialogue is interesting either. See, this had the potential to be a decent puzzle game. The frogs obviously don't speak the same language as you, so trying to decipher what they want based on a series of pictures could've been fun. Instead, it's as basic as it gets. If a frog wants a strawberry, a strawberry will pop over its head. If a frog wants a feather, a feather will pop over its head. If the frog is offering you a reward in exchange, that object will appear over its head. Not only does that suck every ounce of creativity from the game, but that's what you'll spend the ENTIRE game doing. This is nothing more than a series of fetch quests. There are no survival mechanics, no farming mechanics, and no furniture or wardrobe customization mechanics. There aren't even random townspeople. There are just a dozen or so pre-made NPCs who each offer you a single quest. You only need to do a few of those to fix your ship. That's all there is to the game.

Now, I kinda knew it wasn't going to be Animal Crossing when I was going in. That was just hopeful wishing on my part. I knew it was reliant on its puzzles, but I had no idea how dry and boring it would be. The most complicated "puzzle" is when you're asked to find a blue worm. You come across these worms near your starting location and you'll notice they turn the color of the fruit they eat. I bet you don't even have to play the game to figure out what you need to do.

There's technically exploration here because the island is sorta big, but that's a lie too. The only reason the island feels big is because the kid suffers from the same problem as Domeguy -- he's TOO DAMN SLOW. Like, holy shit. I played this game to get AWAY from forma.8, but I actually think Domeguy could do laps around this kid. And it's not like the developers couldn't make him go any faster -- there's literally a potion in this game that dramatically increases his speed. The problem is that it only lasts for 15 seconds and you can only get it in town. Even worse, you have to BREW it yourself (which requires finding the ingredients) AND you can only carry a single potion at a time. In fact, the kid can only EVER carry a single item at a time. It doesn't matter what it is. He has to hold it proudly over his head until you either drop it, throw it, or give it to someone. This makes some of the side quests infuriating because you can never do two things at once. Oh, and if you spill a potion because you threw it instead of dropping it (since they're literally the same button)? Yeah, go back to town. If you accidentally drop an item over a cliff or have some bird break it? LOL, do it over again. Why is this a thing? When did "wasting a player's time" become synonymous with modern game design?

It's not like all the ideas in this game are bad. There are just so many questionable decisions. For example, there are some light Metroidvania elements here. You can plant mushrooms that allow you to bounce higher. Great, right? The problem is almost all of these are in the middle of nowhere, so they don't actually accomplish anything. The kid can get a skill that lets him jump further, but not higher. There is only a single time in the game that I found the ability to jump further useful, but many, MANY times when jumping higher would've been nice. This is a potion too, so why couldn't the speed potion be a permanent upgrade?

I cannot recommend this game. I paid $8.49 and I feel ripped off. The ONLY good thing I'll say about this game is that the graphics were nice. That's what suckered me in. I can't remember the music, but maybe that was OK too. But the gameplay and story are absolutely not worth your time. I'm pissed at myself for expecting this to be something good. I'm tired of being let down. It's like, "LET ME LOVE YOU," but developers keep shitting all over good ideas. This would be such an easy game to fix too. Make the kid run faster, put some more interesting fetch quests in there, have a minor skill tree so that you have something to work towards, and put in some basic base-building. You kinda get that with a house later on, but maybe that should be something you get right away with a game this short.

I will say there are some clever objects you can interact with. There are giant leaves you can use as a parachute, which is neat (even if Zelda did it first), and there are whirly flowers that give you a temporary speed boost (even if they are restricted to one area). A promising game, but a complete dud. Yes, this one should hop away.

• Like 4