Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

You can also jump (why?) and enter first-person mode (why?), but the only time you'll use these is when you press the button by accident.

I really don't understand games that have a useless first-person mode. And I love the snark! ?

And since it's hard to make out what items are in your katamari, you may not even notice you lose an object you were looking for until after you finish the level

Gosh, that sounds like an absolute nightmare for trophy hunting. That, and the forced-long times to complete some or all levels.

When the first Katamari Damacy came out for the GameCube, I always wanted to give it a spin since it seemed fun and quirky. I was considering adding this game to my "Games to get once my backlog is a healthier size", but now it's definitely not going on that list. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #376 - Katamari Damacy Reroll

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/13d6f5/trophies/1L73d36c.png

Everybody, get ready to blow your bullshit whistle. 20 hours to platinum, my ass.

BRUH. I recently wrapped this one up myself and agree 100%, no clue where the guide writer got 20 hours from...

I was so excited for this because I played it on the PS2, but that was back when I played games like a normal person! Getting everything was such a grindy (and at times downright difficult) task, and in direct contradiction to how fun-loving and chill the game generally is. Now that the second game is getting the remaster treatment, it makes me sad but it'll likely be a hearty "fuck no" from me?

Anyway, great write-up, and props for finishing it so swiftly! I had to take like six months off before finally completing it. Big up to all those ThumbsofSteel videos too, talk about a godsend...

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 1:36 AM, Cassylvania said:

50 (yes 50) hours later, I'm not sure if there was anything more to the game than that. I played most of the game in a stupor. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be high while playing this.

I ended up having to play most levels several times, which is why I think the PSNP trophy guide estimate is wrong. I had to resort to multiple checklists, walkthroughs, and video guides to find everything.

It took me pretty much a full evening to get the Kintaro-Bear, but I got the Holy Cow on my third try. Go figure. (It helps that levels aren't randomly generated, so you can follow a preset path and basically get the same result every time.)

In short: cute game, but I think this will be the only game in the series I'll be playing.

Aww Cassy, I don’t know if after all this you sound like you disliked the game or just “needed some space” from it after 50+ hours which…. DAMN! I think the trophy guide estimate is on the lower side (20 hours) but I went back to my archives and saw that it took me 24-25, and that was with my total incompetence on the kintaro-bear/holy cow levels which took me 5 1/2 combined for just those two items. I guess the estimate didn’t really seem that egregious to me given I know that if I was simply a better player, 21-22 would have been realistic. I just… can’t fathom how it took you 2x as long as it took me? I don’t think I was very good. I WILL say I did use the 180 turnaround maneuver a lot and never found myself having issue with the timer on levels except for when I was learning the mechanics early on. 

Your final comment made me crack up as it reminds me of what I felt having played Valkyrie Chronicles ?, basically “glad I played it, get why it’s beloved, but I’ve had my fair share for the series.”

21 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I was so excited for this because I played it on the PS2, but that was back when I played games like a normal person! Getting everything was such a grindy (and at times downright difficult) task, and in direct contradiction to how fun-loving and chill the game generally is. Now that the second game is getting the remaster treatment, it makes me sad but it'll likely be a hearty "fuck no" from me1f604.png

aww, sorry it was such a grind for you too Smev. I remember you commenting after my review and saying you were excited to get back to playing it ?

That being said… I somehow did NOT know the 2nd game will be getting remastered so thank you for that!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, realm722 said:

aww, sorry it was such a grind for you too Smev. I remember you commenting after my review and saying you were excited to get back to playing it 1f62d.png

Yeahmann, it was a weird and unexpected disagreement between my actual enjoyment of the game and my experience going for the plat, I wasn't expecting it and frankly it still feels odd to me. On paper I should've enjoyed every moment I played!

46 minutes ago, realm722 said:

That being said… I somehow did NOT know the 2nd game will be getting remastered so thank you for that!

Given your experience, I'd absolutely recommend We ? Katamari for you! Based on my memory banks from 2005, it was superior to Damacy, and the weirdness is cranked up some. In between levels there's all these weird peeps chillin, making goofy noises on a loop, I remember loving "HIIIGGGHHHHNEEEESSSS" and "YOUR MAJESTYYYYY" the most?

.....man. Let me know how it goes actually, I may end up giving in and playing it anyway!

@Cassylvania if it makes you feel any better, I looked it up on TrueTrophies and I played it for 51 and a half hours, so you did better than I did!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 8:39 PM, Cassylvania said:

Don't ever buy a house that needs a lot of work. If you do, make sure you know what you're doing first.

I get you, Cass. My dad bought a little apartment nearby which needed a TON of work because the last owner was a jerkwad who didn't care what happened to it and had some wild parties in it. The plumbing was shot to hell, the floor was covered in carpet which was decorated with used cigarettes, and the walls were a frekking mess. It too three months to clean the place out and make it look cool... and then three years later I moved back to my parent's house after my dad sold that place and commissioned some guys to build a shack for me to live in due to situations involving Biden and his policy on damn real estate. Not complaining, this means I never have to wait for my parents to pick me up, but I had to get rid of my cat because there was no room for a litter box or food bowl. I don't even have an oven! :(

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 0:36 AM, Cassylvania said:

The infamous items to collect are the Holy Cow and Kintaro-Bear. These levels are both the easiest and hardest levels in the game. Unlike every other level, these levels automatically end when you capture any cow (or cow-themed object) or bear (or bear-themed object). That makes them possible to beat in only a few short seconds, but much, much more difficult if you're hunting for a specific cow or bear. Not only do you have to avoid anything that resembles a cow or bear, but you need to get big enough to capture the one you're looking for. This could take several minutes and the slightest mistake could end the level prematurely. It doesn't help that you're likely to get knocked around by cars and other moving objects, or that it's not always clear what's safe to collect and what isn't. It took me pretty much a full evening to get the Kintaro-Bear, but I got the Holy Cow on my third try. Go figure. (It helps that levels aren't randomly generated, so you can follow a preset path and basically get the same result every time.)

Yeah, these levels are the reason I stopped playing the Katamari Damacy series. You have to be very agile to avoid touching a cow or bear until you get the right ones. One mistake and you start all over. :(

I did play the first two Katamari games but stopped playing after the stories of the King of Cosmos got stupid. Like, while playing tennis with his wife, he does a super drive which OPENS UP A BLACK HOLE.

Then again, it IS Japanese. :P

Oh, do I even NEED to say how difficult it is to roll up ONE MILLION ROSES?!?

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

Last year I forced myself to finally platinum the plothole-ridden mess that was Heavy Rain (as part of my "it's time to retire the PS3" trophy cleanup). I've heard from a friend who occasionally games that D:BH was really good, but I find it hard to trust recommendations from friends who don't have enough experience to tell if a gameplay mechanic is actually groundbreaking (versus just new to them), things like that.

I was also skeptical that David Cage could actually make a solid narrative game, even though I know that sometimes people can learn from their mistakes and evolve. As someone who literally grew up in metro-Detroit, the emphasis of the city name in the game's title also had me worried that Cage would lean into a very meme-able and stereotyped version of the city (despite being set in a sci-fi future) which would lead to a plot that would try and fail to be super deep. 

Thus, I'm really happy to hear that you had a good experience with D:BH, and that the characters are really compelling! This year I'm trying to focus on games in my backlog that either fulfill various requirements for PSNP Community Events or are on the PS+ Catalog. D:BH has now jumped really high on my list of PS+ Catalog games to tackle, based on your review!

Now, I have this thing when it comes to video games that whenever an NPC brushes me off and acts like they have something better to do, I follow them and see what they're up to. Usually, they stop somewhere not far away and just stand around, making me feel superior because I'm controlling a playable character and they're not.

^ This is hilarious! I wish I was better sometimes at pulling myself out of a game's immersion and testing its boundaries in a more deliberate manner, so I really enjoyed your account of messing with Todd's hockey-watching. While I don't normally go out of my way to 'test' a game, I always notice and appreciate when developers take the time to add subtle details and try to account for various player behaviors.

(Side note: I hope you do platinum Heavy Rain one day, mainly because I expect it would be a hilarious read! It sounds like you initially played the game a long time ago - as did I - though on a different account, and it is astounding hilarious just how poorly the game has aged. ?)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I also consider how long it'd take me to the platinum the game again if I tried to do it a second time, with all the knowledge and experience I have now. I don't think I could do sub-20 hours. If I don't think I could meet the time to platinum on my second playthrough, I'm going to blow that bullshit whistle.

c766c719-062a-4514-ad7b-e6e145b0d363_tex

I'm used to having much longer play times than most on account of being a marginally skilled gamer (at best), but even on this one I was like "No waayyy." While there were some psychopaths who completed this game in like eight hours(!!), based on what I saw on TT the average is closer to 35 hours. So blow away!

...I'm gonna think of a better way to say that.

Platinum #377 - Detroit: Become Human

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/d93914/trophies/1L8dc02d.png

In the not-too-distant future (literally 15 years from now), there was an android named Kara, not too different from you or me. She worked for the Williams family, just another face in a white jumpsuit. She did a good job cleaning up the place, but her boss didn't like her, so he shot her into space.

And another one! This was a great read. Detroit was the first PS4 game I played that really had me like "whhooooaaaaa....," the graphics, score, and in depth story made my socks go flyin.

Also you're takin it back with the Goofus and Gallant talk! Effective, too - if I so much as entertain the idea of buying Last Stop, I will picture Goofus coming to my house and spilling paint all over while breaking a window or two.

• Like 2

You didn't mention that you have to play Virginia twice due to a trophy requiring two playthroughs. :P

Yeah, I had platted this game on an older profile, but I don't think I can play this game again. There are a lot of games I platinumed that I won't touch again, like Infamous: Second Son. The only reason I played these games was because that was all that was good at the time. Now there are far better options for me. (Like the PS5 version of Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Seriously, it took them ten years to get a PS5 stack for this? xD)

Edited by Taruta13

On 4/29/2023 at 3:35 AM, Taruta13 said:

You didn't mention that you have to play Virginia twice due to a trophy requiring two playthroughs. :P

Well, I did say it took me three playthroughs... Basically, just add an extra playthrough or 30% of the average time to platinum any time I'm involved with a game. That formula should more or less hold up.

Alright. Let the fight to justify a PS+ Premium subscription continue!

Platinum #379 - Life is Strange: True Colors

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/4f3b67/trophies/1L70819c.png

Last time, on The Miserable Pile...

"The next game I play will have a story that will put Virginia to shame!"

Let's test that theory, shall we? Is this game true to what I said, or are we sailing under false colors?

Life is Strange: True Colors is the...fourth (?) installment in the LiS series. Apparently I missed one along the way. I know I've made it pretty clear that I have a terrible memory, but I actually remember the exact day and time I played the first LiS game. I don't even need to look it up. It was in May 2016. More than a year before I even started this thread. The reason I remember it is because I successfully defended my thesis in graduate school the same day. Yes, while normal people would be going out and celebrating, I curled up at home and joined Max and Chloe on their little emo-filled adventure. And even though I have very little in common with two teenage girls, I still have fond memories of that game and that time in my life, which coincidentally is sorta the theme of that game and I guess the entire series. Life really is strange, isn't it?

Anyway, I played Before the Storm sometime after that (apparently May 2018 -- I needed to look this one up), and I remember almost nothing about it. Guess that shows how much of a lasting impression it had on me. I dunno. Making Chloe the central character kinda took some of her mystique away. Reminds me of what happened when Happy Days thought Fonzie should be the main character. One shark jump later and a whole idiom was born.

This game puts us in what I assume is a different unique, with an entirely new cast of her characters. You play as Alex Chan, a girl with probably the worst superpower ever invented: the power of empathy. Yes, while Max is out there controlling time and Chloe is turning everybody into a lesbian, Alex is...understanding how people feel. People are basically giant mood rings to her, glowing with a specific "aura" (red for angry, blue for sadness, etc.) when they feel an emotion strongly enough. This also extends to objects. For example, if Alex could tap into my PS5 controller, she'd see how pissed off I was that she's the slowest moving character in video game history. This allows her to essentially read people's minds, which...OK, that's not such a bad power at all. She uses it to help someone win a jelly bean counting contest, which is clearly the best use of that ability.

Of course, with great power comes great drama. Alex has lived much of her life bouncing around foster families and orphanages. That makes her a little harder to relate to than Max or Chloe, I think. I don't think most people had Alex's childhood. That said, she's a likable enough protagonist and I think most people can sympathize with the emotions she's going through as she returns to her long lost brother at the start of the game, even if very few would have ever found themselves in that position. I'd probably punch my brother if we were separated for a while. Alex's options are to hug him or give him a handshake.

So, Alex's brother lives in this tiny mining town in Colorado called Haven Springs, which instantly made me think of Night in the Woods. (I know that game was set in western Pennsylvania, where I live, but I imagine that's small town life all across the country.) Just like that game, not everything is as it seems and you're eventually going to get caught up in an emotional-filled mystery. I don't think it ever quite reaches the level of quality of the original LiS, but few games do. For what it's worth, it does have its moments. There's some clever writing here and the characters have really nice...teeth. Is that a weird thing to say? I just like how realistic the subtle facial animations were. Voice acting is good too. Graphics serve their purpose, but there weren't a lot of unique places to visit. You're mostly walking down a single street and visiting a few stores. This is probably a good thing because, again, Alex is basically a zombie with how slow she walks. You can hold R2 to make her move 0.05 times faster.

The biggest problem with this game is its plot. It's very underwhelming. There are only five chapters, but the pacing is all over the place and one of the chapters centers entirely around a... *sigh* ...LARP. I'm not even kidding. What's worse is that it might be the best chapter because of how creative it is. It's not usually a good sign when I'm more interested in a game-within-a-game. And, unfortunately, it doesn't just end there... There are a lot of games-within-a-game here. For example, you get to play foosball. I got my ass kicked. You get to play a drinking game. I actually won this one because it was based around logic. There are also arcade machines that I never bothered with because, let's be real, I have enough games to play.

Some of the decisions you make are supposed to be hard, but the problem is they usually come down to a single dilemma: use Alex's powers or don't. I don't know why you'd pick the latter. That'd be like playing a Superman game and choosing to be Clark Kent the whole time. But with a lot less at stake and a lot lamer superpower.

Characters are pretty good. I liked Steph and Ryan. Jed too. And the music, as always with this series, is solid. I think if you can get over some of the cringier bits, this is a melodramatic adventure worth playing through. I don't regret it, which is something I don't also say after earning the platinum. Here, you can just play through at your own pace, using a collectibles guide to get the only missable trophies. None of them should trip you up.

Also, this is sort of an aside, but my experience playing this game was greatly diminished by the circumstances. We had this guy (a friend of the family) fixing something simple in the kitchen and it took THREE full days. Basically the entire weekend. It was annoying and frustrating and I kept having to get up to help with stuff, and then I'd sit back down, play for two more minutes, and then I'd have to get up again. Naturally, my cat kept opening and closing my door at the same time. Dude wants in my bedroom when the door is closed and then immediately wants out. I love my family, but I can't wait to have my own place. I just want to play my games in peace. It's SO. DAMN. ANNOYING. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH.

The good thing about my reviews is you don't need Alex's powers to know exactly how I feel. I leave it all out on the line. Right there for the whole internet to see.

PS+ Premium subscription satisfaction meter: 15%.

• Like 4

I remember @realm722 reviewing this game. I thought it was recently. I had to go all the way back to April 2021 to find the review. At the time, realm considered it the most disappointing game of the year, which would normally be enough to keep me away. For whatever reason, I was still interested. Probably because of the artwork. After playing it... I think realm was far too nice to this game. This is going to be an evisceration.

LMAO. I got whiplash with this opening paragraph. I saw you liked my review from ages ago and got giddy because I was like: "FINALLY somebody I know is going to play and review this game" since despite the success of Furi and some decent marketing, I feel like NOBODY bought it. You made me re-read my review from then so I'm looking forward to seeing how we contract in our experience!

I point this out solely because the entire game is voice acted and the male Kay and female Yu VAs did a phenomenal job. Probably some of the best VA work I've heard. I don't know how the other two VAs sound, but I hope they continue to get work in bigger and better projects. I'm going to complain a lot about the writing in this game, but I have no complaints about the audio department.

100% with you on this. It's one of the reasons why I enjoyed their dynamic so much. 

Second, the artwork is beautiful. The opening cinematic is great and the hand-drawn character models for Kay and Yu are great. They're detailed, expressive, and well-animated. The in-game graphics aren't too bad either, but they kinda remind me of Virginia, where it switches back and forth from looking nice and easy on the eyes to looking cheap and low quality. I also really liked the loading screens. I mean, I hated them because they're EVERYWHERE, but they're accompanied by some cute drawings of Kay and Yu doing various activities.

Yesssssss! Game looks great. I agree sooooo much on the loading screens. They're adorable. I DO remember now that you mention it there being an absurd amount of loading screens (for basically every island you move to in the game) but at the very least they put something interesting visually to catch your eye until they start repeating.

Let's start with the story. Realm liked the relationship between Kay and Yu. I...would rather have dental surgery. In order for you to understand what it feels like to play Haven, I want you to imagine you're trapped in an elevator with two horny teenagers. They're groping each other and sucking on each other's faces, while calling each other by silly little pet names. For some people, they'd enjoy that. If you're anything like me, though, you'd rather have the cables snap and the elevator to go careening down into the fiery pits of hell than listen to them for one second longer.

AWWWWWWW C'MON CASSY. I will concede that yea... if you're not into lovey-dovey romance, this is probably not going to be your cup of tea lmao. I love seeing couples happy together. I am a complete sucker for it. Seeing all of the dorky stuff one does when you're intimate and don't have that layer of insecurity. I also understand that there are people who wanna roll their eyeballs outta their head at it. Agree to disagree! 

I just couldn't get into it. It's ENTIRELY because of the writing, though. I'm not even sure why the writing is as bad as it is. I could understand if they were trying to put adult content into a kids' game, but this comes with an M rating. There's no reason for them to hold back on the writing. Instead, you have every cuss word replaced with "bloot" (I think it means both fuck and shit) or "boron" (I guess moron?). You also have made up terms, like "lumsec" or something for a long unit of distance and Frocember for some month in winter. It's awkward and distracting. It'd be one thing if they were going for some deep and intricate lore, but they're obviously just making a reference to something that already exists, so why do that? What justification is there for this story taking place somewhere other than Earth?

LMAO I had forgotten about this but yea... I even wrote that in my review. WHY DO WE HAVE AN M RATING EXACTLY IN THIS GAME? IS IT BECAUSE OF IMPLIED SEX? Because it kind of boggles my mind. On one hand, I notice in your review that you comment on how the game is mega horny. But... I GET WHY IT'S MEGA HORNY. These two just escaped what was for them a prison where they coudn't be together and now they're completely on their own free to finally act and do as they please. That being said... either go all-in on the M rating rather than skirt around the sex (we couldn't even get a GoW mini-game?) OR avoid that and go the kid's game healthy relationship route as you mentioned. 

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

It also doesn't help that Kay and Yu are already...passionate, let's say, about each other at the start of the game. There isn't a lot to build on there. I think this game may have benefited from having a prologue or at least sprinkling in little bits of their backstory here and there. (We get a little of that through cutscenes, but it's entirely spoken.) It's hard to become invested in their relationship when you feel like a third wheel as soon as the game starts up. Again, though, this may just be a personal preference. I'm not somebody who is typically into romantic stories, so somebody who is might be more easily moved by the way this story is presented.

My movie stats tracker says out of the 552 movies I've seen, 98 have "romance" in the genre type. I think this is where you and I disagree a bit. As someone who loves the genre, it is extremely simple and safe to show the "meeting, blossoming, and eventually blooming" with some ups-and-downs along the way of the relationship. You don't see the parts of the movie after the couple get married since typically it's not "compelling" unless an issue arises. What made me so excited about Haven is... they were going the ambitious route of NOT playing it safe. They were going to just try and show a happy relationship without that core conflict (until the end) and... DAMN THAT'S BOLD AS HELL. You have to have the writing and enough mechanics around it to support it (which I think the game lacked, and you certainly also think it lacked) but.. I love trying for that as opposed to going down the typical path. 

Although now that I think about it... would I play a prequel with action combat of Yu & Kay's forbidden romance aboard the Apiary where we see them fall in love and have to fight their way out before getting happily ever after? That sounds like a pretty good game. 

Then there's the combat. I don't even want to describe it. It's bad. I could describe it and it would sound bad, but it's something you really need to see for yourself. When I finished my first battle, I thought to myself, "There's no way they're going to have me do this for the entire game," but I was wrong. That's exactly what the developers thought was an acceptable battle system.

It STILL BOGGLES MY MIND!!!!! Like... I wrote in my review that I could have stomached it if every other element of the game was excellent. If the traversal was a blast, I could do without some mindless rock-papers-scissors combat. BUT HOW DID THE FOLKS WHO MADE FURI (A 9.0, ONE OF MY FAVORITE GAMEPLAY ACTION GAMES OF ALL-TIME) THINK THAT THIS WAS ENOUGH? It's like the hit artist who is so sick of people hearing more of the same song that they decided to release an album in the genre of country jazz to make people shut up forever. It's clear to me they didn't want combat to be the focus, but if it was going to be this poor, they shouldn't have included it (but that prolly would have exposed how little else there is to do in the game)

I found this game to be basically insufferable. If the character portraits weren't so good and if the VAs didn't absolutely carry the story, this would be more than just my Most Disappointing Game of 2023. This might take home that award for the decade. I am thoroughly disgusted by this game. Realm was nice enough to offer some advice to the developers on creating a sequel. I have some too: don't.

This is no way justifies having a PS+ subscription. I feel more ripped off from playing this game than if I would've from not playing anything at all. Absolutely the worst game I have played this year.

damn-damn-damn-damn.gif

Tell us how you really feel Cassy, lmao. Nah but I get you. If I hadn't enjoyed Yu/Kay's dynamic, I probably would have scored the game in the 5's (not a 4 since it's too short to have been that miserable). I'm still optimistic about future iterations of the genre. I wanna see more games make romance/relationships the focal points that aren't VNs. Just... with a lot more to them. I still trust the folks over at The Game Bakers. Hopefully their next game they get back on track!

Thanks for playing the game even though you ended up thoroughly disliking it. It's one that I had been waiting for someone else to play to actually have someone to discuss it with. I hope Tunche scores better ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grayhammmer said:

I played and loved Jedi: Fallen Order, @DrBloodmoney says it's terrible. I play and like Haven, @Cassylvania says it's one of the worst games this year.

Fuck me, is my taste really that bad? 

No way. Jedi: Fallen Order is an amazing game, as I'm sure the sequel will be. Haven is...probably not as bad as I made it sound. I'll admit I was a little harsh in that review. When I remembered I also played Bee Simulator this year... and Time on Frog Island... yeah, Haven was better than both of those. I might even put it above Lost in Random and The DioField Chronicles. The difference is all those games are fundamentally broken (primarily because of the combat). Haven was disappointing to me because they had a good concept and a talented team. I haven't played Furi, but I saw the work that went into the characters and their design. Out of all those games, Haven would be the easiest to fix, and it's just frustrating to me that it's being held back almost entirely because of poor decisions. If you can look past those (or if they don't bother you) and appreciate the game, that's great. It has much more positive reviews than those other games I mentioned, which I expected to be mid at best.

I don't know how anyone can hate Fallen Order. The trophies, sure. But not the game.

39 minutes ago, realm722 said:

AWWWWWWW C'MON CASSY. I will concede that yea... if you're not into lovey-dovey romance, this is probably not going to be your cup of tea lmao. I love seeing couples happy together. I am a complete sucker for it. Seeing all of the dorky stuff one does when you're intimate and don't have that layer of insecurity. I also understand that there are people who wanna roll their eyeballs outta their head at it. Agree to disagree!

I feel the writing is going to be the most contentious part of that game. I think most people would agree the graphics and audio are good, while the exploration and combat mechanics are poor. It really comes down to how you feel about the dialogue. When I see lines like, "Let's not start pushing before the panties are pulled down," I want to punch the character who said it. The problem is that the delivery is so good that...in a way, I was annoyed because it SHOULD sound cheesy and awful. I have no clue how the VAs managed to work with that material. That really is the miracle with Haven.

53 minutes ago, realm722 said:

Thanks for playing the game even though you ended up thoroughly disliking it. It's one that I had been waiting for someone else to play to actually have someone to discuss it with. I hope Tunche scores better 1f62d.png

I can guarantee you it will.

I'm still glad I played it. It was a fun game to review. Understand my reviews are just my opinions and I know not everybody is going to agree with me. I blasted Outer Wilds and I'm pretty sure the internet wanted to skewer me alive for that. At the very least, I can look at Haven and say, "Yeah, there's an audience for this." Far be it from me to expect every game to cater to my weird tastes. I mean, I apparently want Elsa to impale me with a giant icicle. That's really strange. Normal people don't think like that.

I'll be taking any other PS+ suggestions you guys have... I have three more weeks to justify this purchase.

• Like 3

I don't know how anyone can hate Fallen Order. The trophies, sure. But not the game.

The long answer:

The short answer:

giphy.gif

… that said, that review batch also has my extremely positive LiS: True Colours review…. …and I think Before the Storm is the best one of those games…

…AND I really liked Lost in Random

…AND I think Outer Wilds is one of the best games ever made…

…so we might just have to chalk this up to, “we pretty much agree on nothing…” ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

On 5/4/2023 at 8:48 PM, realm722 said:

I'm not into romance either, but... I put in a lot of visual novels. Putting in one more soon with DoraKane, which is about a girl making friends with three girls(and having romantic endings with them) while playing a mobile gatcha game like Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. Also, I just platinumed Asdivine Saga and it has romantic endings(though those are are lot tamer). So I'm not against romantic stuff in games.

However, I do agree that there is more to explore than just having sex, and the designers of Haven should have made the non-romantic activities fun as well. Glad I am not picking this one up.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:46 PM, Cassylvania said:

I mean, I apparently want Elsa to impale me with a giant icicle. That's really strange. Normal people don't think like that.

Elsa is actually The Sorceress? Yeah, referencing that scene at the end of Disk 1 in FF8. That CGI was some twisted sh** back in the day. ^_^

• Like 1

That's a sad story, but not as sad as mine. I was too shy to ask girls out and when I did, they had boyfriends already. I have never kissed a girl. :(

I hope you aren't disappointed by this game.

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 3

In my school days, I rang up this American exchange student girl to ask her for a date. She declined, which in itself was okay. What was not: She had a couple of guys from my school over who found it fun to listen in and to tell her what to say. The episode made its way round my year (that's how I found out about it). Probaly not a related story, but maybe Joelle just wrote in some art message board how she was incapable to play video games and thus was too afraid to ask out you who probably is a marine biologist, discovering new species twice a year that taste equally good cooked as they do raw.

I also can't draw, if that helps.

• Like 3