Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

8 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

Well, for the record, I was playing Minecraft and I have my own scathing review about that. 1f620.png

What's wrong with Minecraft? It's basically the perfect game.

The good news is my backlog is now down to 102 games... at least, until the new monthly PS+ games drop later today. My goal is to get it below 100 and keep it there. I'm also going to stop buying new games unless I intend to play them right away. This is the year where I finally put a dent in my backlog.

Next up... hm. There are some Souls-likes I'd like to try, but I should probably finish (start) Elden Ring first. I'd also like to get to SoS: Pioneers of Olive Town. Cris Tales is tempting, and Dead Cells just dropped a DLC that's literally calling my name. There's also Scarlet Nexus. There's no way that any of those games could disappoint me.

...right?

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

There's no way that any of those games could disappoint me.

...right?

Right, maybe you lose a lil bit of hair but not disappointing in there. 

I'll start Scarlet Nexus soon too, looking forward to see if our opinions differ, i don't think so but hey, who knows! 

Good luck on keeping ur backlog below 100! Mine is huge too but I don't have my PS3 with me at the moment, I'll fix it whenever I can ?

Also I have a deal with Copanele, if I plat both versions of Catherine before he plat the PS3 one, he'll pay for my coffee but imma give him a lil bit of advantage so I'll do that on June/July, I bet he hasn't platted it by then ?

Keep it up! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Thanks for that. I watched the first couple episodes. It does look like my kind of game...but two things worry me. The first is the controls. I wonder if it would be better with a keyboard and mouse. The second is the difficulty. I think I could get around it, but I'm not sure I need more frustrating games in my life.

With the turn-based mode, controller controls are fine. RTWP obviously would be easier with mouse/keyboard, but the options have like 20 different sliders for auto-pause during combat, and you can always manually pause combat to enter actions or moves.

Difficulty: I assume you start at a high difficulty and clean up at lower, like I do. Some parts can be very frustrating on unfair. Some encounters are balanced badly. Still, unfair mode is doable, it just takes quite some reloads and/or save scumming in the ealy parts of the game. The more levels you gain, the easier it gets on unfair. The difficulty is artificial, as in padded enemy stats and the RNG. At some point, the D20 will fall for you. I only recommend keeping a couple of saves before each encounter, just in case. Of course, you can also learn the system on a lower difficulty and then min/max your unfair playthrough. I prefer starting high, though, as the difference is so much bigger than "usually".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

What's wrong with Minecraft? It's basically the perfect game.

Oh, the game isn't the problem, I could probably platinum both titles if I went on some seed that gave me the perfect RNG(because I can't find Iron Ore to save my life)... it's the DLC trophies that are annoying. Two DLCs require you to have the oldest version of the game because they removed the battle modes from those expansions when they upgraded to Bedrock, so I have to buy an actual physical copy to get all of the trophies for DLC 2 and DLC 5. :(

Also, been too busy with other stuff to play Minecraft. About to pop the Wild ARMS platinum stack for PS4(did the PS5 version a while back) and then I have to do some POWGI game and then hit LEGO DC Super Villains for that platinum before I go to Florida for my Hogwarts Legacy pilgrimage, and I have to buy a giant hiker's pack because the plane doesn't have cargo so you can only carry enough items that you can put under your plane seat and I'm definitely taking the PS5 so I can play Hogwarts Legacy. (My PS4 has overheating issues and I don't want an inferior Hogwarts Legacy experience.)

I applaud you for trying to keep your backlog under control. I have four RPGs that need to be worked on, including two physical copies(Ni No Kuni Remastered, FFXII The Zodiac Age) that I am dreading to play. I thought you might try Mighty Switch Force Collection... then I recalled that I am going to platinum Shantae Half-Genie Hero and how PAINFUL the Officer Mode, which was a testament to that series, was, and cringe. HARD. :(

I'm sure you had your reasons to abandon DOOM Eternal and House Flipper too. Well, good luck on your attempts to keep the backlog down. ;)

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed your reviews and am thinking of doing a review blog which reviews all of the games I've platinumed a la Jirard Dragonrider's Completionist Videos. (I might make them a video series if I can figure out how to use OBS xD) and here is my rating system:

100% Complete It!: Get EVERY trophy including all the DLC!
Platinum It: Get the platinum trophy, it's a fun journey!
Casual Clear: Complete the main story, but don't bother trophy hunting here.
Try It Out: Play it a bit, it might not be for you.
Wait For Sale: Don't pay full price for this game, it's okay but not worth paying for.
Avoid x3!: Don't even bother buying this pile of toxic waste!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Started Dead Cells today, so Catherine and Pathfinder will have to wait a bit.

I got giddy when I saw it on your profile today. One of the best games I've ever played. I can only imagine how daunting the game's content must be as a new player (I remember platinuming it back in 2019 pre-DLC) but the gameplay is some of the finest of any roguelite on the market. I think it's precisely the game you need after laboring through a few duds. AND a new Story of Seasons? Feeling ambitious this March eh Cassy?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

I got giddy when I saw it on your profile today. One of the best games I've ever played. I can only imagine how daunting the game's content must be as a new player (I remember platinuming it back in 2019 pre-DLC) but the gameplay is some of the finest of any roguelite on the market. I think it's precisely the game you need after laboring through a few duds. AND a new Story of Seasons? Feeling ambitious this March eh Cassy?

Feeling sick, actually, so I figured why not. (I have covid for real this time.) The good news is my immediate reaction is that I don't hate either game.

I see you started the super ultra rare game called Frost. I can save you some trouble by letting you know that trying to save scum may invalidate some trophies. I remember tracking down the devs and they were like, "How did you find our private Discord sever!?"

I have my ways, devs... I have my ways.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I have my ways, devs... I have my ways.

Speaking of which...

justtryit.png

Nice try, Gears for Breakfast, but if I am going to torture myself again with your cute little demonesses and their Super Mario Odyssey speedrun shenagins, I'm going to get a TON of trophy-free practice first! xD

Yeah, that means I had to deleted a Pokemon game, but after I got a Hisuan Zorua in a Surprise Trade(which I was doing in parallel to the Kaledioscope event), I decided to just get myself over it and suffer Snatcher's annoying evil mischief more than trying to meet the god of Pokemon. :P

This way, when the time comes to plant this game on my trophy file, I won't be hating myself because I'll have some experience.

• Like 2

Wow, that was one huge review, Cass. Have you played Stardew Valley? For the record, I just purchased it on my Vita. I know there are two trophies requiring you to do a deathless run of one of their arcade games, the twin-stick shooter. I hate that arcade game, but I know I have to complete it, so I will die inside in frustration as I die over and over again until I get those damn trophies. I bought it with the Sly Collection(because I feel like Sly deserves to have rep on my permanent account) so I have something to keep me occupied on the plane. I might also buy LEGO Batman 2 for the Vita just to do something else but I only have $596 and I want to save $200 for my trip to Florida as it'll be used to buy Universal Park souvies and lots and lots of unhealthy park snacks like butterbeer. (I am going to the Harry Potter parks to get in the mood for my marathon runs of Hogwarts Legacy in the hotel. ^_^)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taruta13 said:

Wow, that was one huge review, Cass. Have you played Stardew Valley?

I have. Haven't done it on this account, but I put a lot of hours into it on PC when it first released. I'm trying to save it for when I get overly frustrated with other games in the genre. (Despite my anger in that last post, I don't think I've sunk that low. Light of Hope or One World will break me.)

That said, maybe I can start it. The arcade game has been patched to be much easier, I think. I just know it's a grind and I don't like having multiple 40+ hour games going at once.

I'm going to make the biggest mistake of my life and pre-order Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life. Somebody bookmark this post and slap me when I get around to that review.

The arcade game has been patched to be much easier, I think.

Really? Maybe on the PC version but I haven't heard of a patch or update for the Vita version and there probably isn't one because Vita is no longer supported. Still, at least I can bash my head into Valley of the Mountain King while on the plane to Orlando. xD

I'm going to make the biggest mistake of my life and pre-order Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life. Somebody bookmark this post and slap me when I get around to that review.

Your mistake won't be as monstrous as the mistake I'm going to make as soon as I return back to this house of mine on the 24th... Mainly re-subbing to my Square-Enix account and booting up FFXIV again to get the plat for the PS5 version of that game which I know I will never 100%. But then again, I just earned all of the DLC trophies for Shantae: Half Genie Hero I will ever earn and after suffering through Friends to the End... well, just know that I'll be at 70% forever especially since I also intend to platinum A Hat In Time, Kingdom Hearts III and Ni No Kuni II and god forbade I even TOUCH the DLC on those jerkwads.

So when I get back from Orlando(I probably won't be able to access the forums until then because despite having Internet, I don't plan on bringing a computer with me and the tablet I have is busted because I forgot the unlock code weeks ago so I can't use it), I'll mix us BOTH up a nice tall Zero Suger Dr. Pepper Creme Soda milkshake and we can sip it while we sob and blow our noses at our bad life decisions. xD

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

Really? Maybe on the PC version but I haven't heard of a patch or update for the Vita version and there probably isn't one because Vita is no longer supported. Still, at least I can bash my head into Valley of the Mountain King while on the plane to Orlando. xD

Patch 1.5 on PS4 made it easier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Patch 1.5 on PS4 made it easier.

Oh, that's PS4, not Vita. *sigh* I guess I could play the game on PS4 instead, especially since I checked the changelog and it says there is a new island to explore there. Also, from the changelog it says you can save and resume the game, which don't know anything about. If I die, can I get the trophy by resuming the quick save or does it not count?

EDIT: So what from I am seeing, you can beat a level, exit to the next level, quit out of the machine, go to sleep to save your game, go play the arcade again, and if you get killed, log out of Stardew and reload the game and that death won't be recorded. Sort of like using save states on an emulator. But I don't think the Vita version has Patch 1.5.

Edited by Taruta13

@realm722 I can platinum them faster than they can make them. We're good here.

That said... man, I don't know. Ryza 1 was my favorite game in the series and Ryza 2 was one of my least. I don't understand why it took me 92 hours to finish. They're also, you know, remaking the older games, so I'm going to have to do those too.

This is why I'm not a series completionist!

• Like 2

Good luck on Ryza 3, Cassy. Just got back from Florida and I have to say Hogwarts Legacy had its issues. The camera is hard to control and you have tank controls with the camera, so you have to point the camera where you want to walk, which is stupid. They should have camera lock on and have your wizard move like Sora in Kingdom Hearts. It would be so much easier.

Combat and spellcasting, decent, though I accidentally blew-a-thunk accidentally by tapping L2 instead of holding, but the hold L2 spells are pretty good. Just got Expellarmius and will put the game to sleep until April Fool's Day for RPG Mania. ;)

7 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

Good luck on Ryza 3, Cassy. Just got back from Florida and I have to say Hogwarts Legacy had its issues. The camera is hard to control and you have tank controls with the camera, so you have to point the camera where you want to walk, which is stupid. They should have camera lock on and have your wizard move like Sora in Kingdom Hearts. It would be so much easier.

Combat and spellcasting, decent, though I accidentally blew-a-thunk accidentally by tapping L2 instead of holding, but the hold L2 spells are pretty good. Just got Expellarmius and will put the game to sleep until April Fool's Day for RPG Mania. ;)

Yeah, I played the game for that one day and haven't touched it since. It looks good, though. My biggest complaint so far would be the camera. It does feel like it's really janky to control. I'll get back to it once all the bugs have been ironed out. As you can probably tell, I chose a different game in my active backlog to continue with...

I'm going to start up Ryza today. I'm a little disappointed I went with the PS4 version, but I like how all the tiles for the Atelier series are the same size. And hey, maybe we'll platinum the PS5 version for every game in the series once we're done.

...I'm kidding.

Edited by Cassylvania

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, I played the game for that one day and haven't touched it since. It looks good, though. My biggest complaint so far would be the camera. It does feel like it's really janky to control. I'll get back to it once all the bugs have been ironed out.

Well yeah, I get ya. I have to get back to it but I will do so in April when the RPG Mania event starts as it's already at 68.95 points because its rarity is lower than the others. And I already have 15 other RPGs to deal with during the year... xD

I'm not too upset at the camera, it is just a hassle. I hope you do enjoy Ryza 3 though. As for me, I am speedrunning Illusion of L'Phacia because I just HAD to get another Kemco RPG to play on the plane... and I forgot to get the EXP boosting DLC so I kept dying late game. A lot. :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 11:28 PM, Cassylvania said:

you might recognize the art style because they were all developed by WayForward -- the same people who brought us your favorite purple-haired genie.

They actually have a mode in Shantae Half-Genie Hero called Officer Mode that uses the same mechanic of hitting a button to switch blocks, you have to save five Space Hooligans(which are just Skye, Risky[who is doubling down on cameos as she's also a boss], Rottytops, Salt and Vinegar dressed in prison garb with ball-and-chains on their ankles) and all the stage music comes from that collection. I really enjoyed the music a lot, but this review put me off the idea of playing MSF collection. :P

• Like 1

Platinum #374 - Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/1f2a0c/trophies/1L598833.png

86 hours. I swear, if somebody writes a guide and says 40 hours to platinum again...

Thicc thighs save lives. It's summer again and that can mean only one thing: Ryza is going to cause a lot of trouble. This game wastes no time at all in trying to make you feel nostalgic about the first two games in the trilogy. I wouldn't be against that, but this is my fifteenth Atelier platinum and I don't exactly need to travel far down memory lane to reminisce on #13 or #14. Rorona seems so far away now.

If you'll recall, Ryza 1 is probably my favorite game in the series, while Ryza 2 is somewhere near the bottom. I chalk that up to this series getting further and further away from its roots. I think Ryza 1 was a breath of fresh air and I actually enjoyed the story of that game (possibly the only Atelier game where I can confidently say that), but actually trying to platinum Ryza 2 was a slog. I did NOT like the Exploration Book. I felt like I was fumbling around menus way too much and it didn't have the same charm as the first game. I liked the whimsical nature of a group of kids building a secret base on a remote island and solving a mystery. Atelier Firis had one of the better storylines in my opinion for similar reasons.

The story here is...decent, I guess. I don't ask much from my Atelier games. Just point me in the direction of some baddies I can beat up and some resources I can gather. I'll make my own fun. All that nonsense of having to carefully manage your time or do some advanced calculus to figure out how to transfer traits from one material to another through eight rounds of synthesis is gone. Just like the other two games, you can play on the easiest difficulty and I rarely found myself struggling to win battles after I upgraded my gear a bit. I thought they would make this game a bit more complex, but this felt like the easiest Atelier game yet. I don't even know how half of the mechanics work (including the "key" thing that is in the title) and I did just fine. The alchemy system is really bare bones this time. It almost makes me want to recommend playing these games in reverse chronological order.

I will say one thing I appreciated is that Ryza is ridiculously fast (at moving and gathering) and gets all of her gathering gear (e.g. hammer, axe, net, etc.) very early in the game. You'll eventually need to upgrade them to access more materials for resource nodes, but it means very little backtracking. This is good because there are actually a lot of areas to cover in this game. (More than it first appears, but that would be a spoiler.) You can also ride dolphins. I don't think any game is complete without that.

Combat is...also decent, I guess. I don't know. Sometimes I think Gust does things just so they can parade it around as an "innovative" change. Why does every Atelier game have to completely revamp the alchemy and combat system? Here, you have three active characters and two on standby. You can only control one character at a time, but battles take place in real time. You need to wait for a progress bar to fill up before you're able to perform an action. Generally, your action will either be to use an item (which requires CC, but the item is NOT used up in the process) or perform a melee attack, followed by a series of skill attacks. I don't know how complex this would be on the higher difficulties. I basically just used Ryza the entire game and spammed buttons. Worked fine for me. Now, Ryza has NINE companions that you can choose from, but I pretty much just stuck to Klaudia (best character in this trilogy) and Lila. It would be way too annoying to swap between gear if you're trying to use everybody.

One annoying thing about the menu screen is that the background picture changes each time you progress to a different point in the story. Conceptually, this is really cool because it will reflect the changes in your party size. If a new character joins the team, you'll get an updated still image to show all your characters interacting together. The problem is when you actually go to equip them, as their placement changes each time the image is updated. So, for example, if Ryza is the default selection at one point in the story, someone new might join and you'll have to scroll through multiple characters just to find Ryza. This gets particularly annoying when they decide to have "foreground" and "background" characters. This is what I mean by having to fumble around menus too much. And, unfortunately, that's pretty much the story with the rest of the game. The menus are bad. I like that you can hold a button to speed up the cursor movement across the map, but trying to find or select a place to fast travel to is a pain. There are multiple regions and each region has multiple sections and each section has multiple fast travel points.... And then there's this one quest where you have to give a lady an item from your inventory (multiple times), but there's no easy way to search for that item. The best thing you can do is use the filter section, but you'd have to know what category that item belongs to, and that would require going to the Guide and scrolling through those items, which are sorted randomly instead of alphabetically, so it's just as frustrating.

I also have to say -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- but I miss the English VAs. I just don't feel as invested in a story when I have to read subtitles just to understand what's going on. I'd rather have cringey voice acting with the option to switch it off than to not have it at all. I doubt it's ever coming back to this series, though.

Hm. This is a pretty negative review. I feel bad. The game is good. I'd put it on par with Ryza 2. (Yes, I know I said I didn't care for that one, but it still sold well. It's still a good game. I'm just a curmudgeon who wanted the older style games with better graphics, story, and QoL improvements.) We'll have to see how the Atelier Marie remake does. If this is the way the series will go from now on, I'm OK with it. It's a cozy JRPG, which is a genre that should exist from now until the end of time. And even if I've yet to convince even one person to play a single game from this series, I will continue to keep my 100% series completion alive. Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am -- that's #15 in the books.

See you in three months, Marie.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4