Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

On 1/23/2023 at 1:22 AM, Taruta13 said:

What the hell is the duck doing as a platinum icon for a game about wine-making? xD

The duck is also a card...that you can play at any time. I don't think it serves any purpose.

On 1/23/2023 at 1:22 AM, Taruta13 said:

As for me, not to toot my horn but I finally platinumed LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga... for the PS5. I platted the PS4 version a week ago and it two over two months from start to finish. I did the PS5 version a bit different, getting all of the free play exploriation as I could between chapters, which let me get the best upgrades for every role before six movies(I did them this time in the order of the movie releases, with the original trilogy first, than the prequel triad and finally the last three movies.) I think i was just playing those titles to delay the inevitable cleanup of all the RPGs I have to platinum this year, including a Kingdom Hearts title. xD

That's the only LEGO game I'm considering playing. Just waiting for the deep sale those games are known for.

In fact, that's a good segue into this next update.

Platinum #357 - Drawngeon: Dungeons of Ink and Paper

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/b92d46/trophies/1Lf0e8ed.png

I really hate the title of this game...

Anyway, I don't know how many of you use PlatPrices, but it's been a godsend for keeping track of games I might want to play and sales that are going on. I simply add a game that looks interesting, bookmark my wishlist with the filter set to "Discount %", and check back every now and then to see what bargains I can find. If you do this long enough, you're going to see the same games popping up on sale all the time (mainly the LEGO games), but sometimes you'll see a deal you can't pass up. This game was going for $0.49. That's practically free.

Why was it on my wishlist in the first place? Well, topping my list of "Genres I miss the most" are grid-based dungeon crawlers. If you had told me when I was a kid that farming games and survival games would be more popular in 2023 than dungeon crawlers, I would've laughed at you...like all the kids who laughed at me for playing Harvest Moon. After all, Dungeon Master wasn't all that different than Doom or Diablo. It was just a bit slower and more strategic.

Of course, I love strategy games. This isn't strategic in the sense that there's turn-based combat or an extensive skill tree. It's a methodical, risk-versus-reward system. What characters do you take with you, where should you go, what items should you pick up, how deep into the dungeon should you venture? There's something very immersive about playing a dungeon crawler in first-person, seeing the monsters right in front of you and getting attacked from behind if you aren't paying attention. This is what I thought gaming in the 21st century would be like.

The best modern example I can think of is Legend of Grimrock, which desperately needs to be brought over to console. Heroes of the Monkey Tavern and The Bard's Tale IV were good, but they're the only other games like this that I know of on PS4. Darkest Dungeon is obviously an amazing game and draws inspiration from many of the classic dungeon crawlers, but there's something very different about seeing a game through the eyes of...well, the Beholder. That game was a classic.

But here I go waxing poetically about a game that cost less than a candy bar and could be played on a potato. Drawngeon is about as bare bones as it gets. They really leaned heavily into the "paper-and-pen" days by creating a game that is entirely hand-drawn. Tiles, monsters, NPCs, and objects are all flat, 2D images. Color is only used to show the rarity of an item or chest. Otherwise, it feels like you're navigating through somebody's sketchbook. This is a really neat concept that just feels half-finished, like most doodles.

I'm not going to pretend like there's a plot here. There doesn't need to be. You pick your gender and your class and you're thrust right into the game, with very little direction on where you go. You only have the UI to tell you what the buttons do. You can move forward, back, left, right, and rotate to either side. You have an attack and can pick up items. Depending on your class, you might have one extra ability. There's also a map that you can pull up and an inventory you can manage. You'll have to do that a lot because your starting bag isn't very big.

The map in the game is very small. There's a single village and a few dungeons scattered about the area. I couldn't tell if these dungeons were procedurally generated or not. Most of them only have a few floors, and I don't know if there's a set order to tackle them. You can actually access the final dungeon immediately after starting the game. To have any chance of survival, though, you'll need to level up and find better gear.

So, you explore the map and quickly see there are only a few types of enemies in this game. It has to be less than ten. They all behave in predictable ways, with most only seeming to attack if you stand next to them. Snakes were the only enemy that actively seemed to chase me. Some will throw slow-moving projectiles, but it's pretty easy to step out of the way. You just have to watch out for spiderwebs, which serve as a "wall" (unless you have the thorn armor, which allows you to break through them). If your dexterity is high enough, you can dodge attacks, but I found it easier just to exchange hits. Depends on the class you play as. The warrior is good at taking and dishing damage, the trickster is good at dodging, and the wizard can cast spells. I don't see what's stopping you from building up your defense and tanking everything, though. You can just eat items from your inventory to heal. No, not just mushrooms or bread. You can eat...literally anything...

Yeah, so one of the skills every class has is the ability to convert excess items into a heal. You can also sell them to a stone head in the village, which will give you gold. A stack of 99 gold essentially means you can restore 99 hit points, even at the base level of the skill. (I'm assuming higher levels heal you for more. I don't know because I didn't bother leveling it up past that. The skill is already hilariously OP.) Other items can heal you for more. I guess the only disadvantage is you can still get attacked while healing, so I guess you could accidentally die if you're caught fumbling around in your inventory. That will happen a lot because the controls in this game are a bit fiddly. Also, it's one of those die-once-and-it's-game-over games.

You can abuse the eating skill even more by getting the upgraded version, which allows your character to convert some "characteristics" of that item to their stats. So, eating a sword will increase your damage. Eating a mana crystal will increase your intelligence. (I'm pretty sure eating strange objects off the floor has the opposite effect on your mental capacity, but whatever.) The drawback is that most of these will also decrease one of your other stats. This can also be abused because...again, who cares about dodging attacks if enemies die in one hit and your defense is through the roof? I'm not sure if this an oversight or intentional.

We might have a first here. If you thought Hundred Days was short, this may be the first time it's taken me longer to write my review than beat the game. A typical playthrough is only about 1-2 hours long. This isn't a rogue-like, where you're expected to play through the game several times. Each class is different enough that I guess it's worth playing through three times...you kinda have to for the platinum...but I was hoping it'd be a bit more fleshed out. A full game like this would be great.

That said, we're talking about $0.49 here. If you get 10 hours out of this game (which I did because I died a few times), that's less than a nickle per hour. Let's compare that to XCOM 2. If you paid $60 for XCOM 2 on release day and got 300 hours out of it, like I did, that's $0.20/hour. Not bad, but Drawngeon is FOUR TIMES a better deal. Is it four times a better game? Hell no. But, cookies to bread crumbs, it has to be one of the best value games on the market. I also just made up that phrase.

Am I just trying to justify my purchase when I could've been playing Elden Ring? Probably.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

That's the only LEGO game I'm considering playing. Just waiting for the deep sale those games are known for.

Fair enough, though I got the PS5 version for free after buying the PS4 version. If you only want to do one, do the PS5 version - the PS4 version has the PS3 inferiority complex and it lag multiple times and crashed three times for me. :( The PS5 did freeze-lag a few times near the end of my run but that was probably because my PS5 memory sucks d***** and I had too many games on the drive. :P

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

There's something very immersive about playing a dungeon crawler in first-person, seeing the monsters right in front of you and getting attacked from behind if you aren't paying attention.

That's basically my experience with my digital copy of Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth, which I will probably never delete now that it'll be delisted once Nintendo shuts down the 3DS e-Shop in two months. R.I.P. :( (I tried to buy a physical copy of Persona Q, but Amazon trolled me and didn't deliver it, stealing my money. And yes, I know I could check my order but that was three months ago! I wanted to buy a Christmas gift for myself.) That game you reviewed looks like a quick and easy platinum and you can basically AFK once you get enough defense and health to basically be invincible if eating most stuff raises your stats. I bet there's a guide telling people what to eat to become invincible, since the graphics and music probably are so 5-year old childish that you can mute the game and just ignore it. xD

That joke aside, I'm glad you got a deal for it. When a game like that is cheaper than My Name Is Mayo, which is even easier to AFK, I think that shows that the devs did not really care if they sold a million copies, they just wanted to express themselves. ^_^

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

Platinum #358 - Rise of the Slime

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/c0f23e/trophies/1Lb637ac.png

I told you guys the theme of this year would be lesser versions of better games. I bought this shortly after playing Slay the Spire a couple years ago, almost got around to playing it last year, and finally decided to take the plunge. I didn't know how difficult it was or how long it would take. It's one of those games that has 13 trophies and a platinum, so I figured it would be on the lighter side. What I didn't expect is that it's actually a competently-made game.

So, Rise of the Slime is a deck-building game that's a bit more approachable than the other games in that genre. You can kinda think of it as a watered-down version of Slay the Spire. You start out the game with a basic deck and can choose from one of three cards (or skip altogether) after each enemy you kill. Dungeons are more linear than Slay the Spire, but you'll occasionally come across rooms that have more than one exit or that offer you a choice between mutations (relics) or some other reward/curse. When you die, you have the option to abandon your run or continue from the last checkpoint. That makes it more forgiving than other games like this.

That's not to say this game is simply a clone. Movement and the placement of your character is actually important. While the cards you draw are randomized, you'll always begin your turn with a movement card that allows you to move 2 spaces, at the cost of 1 mana. You can use this offensively, such as to approach or an enemy (or get behind them for backstab damage), or defensively, such as to move away from an opponent or avoid a delayed attack. Terrain is also a factor, with acid and fire causing damage to any unit standing on them at the end of their turn. Enemies rotate between an "attack" phase and a "defend" phase, and they're pretty limited and predictable in what they'll do each turn. You can use this to your advantage. For example, you could focus on defense when you know the enemy is attacking that turn and offense when you know they won't. Enemies who are in the attack phase and can't reach you seem to delay their attack phase until the next turn, so running away can actually backfire when there are multiple enemies on the field because you could end up having all the enemies in the attack phase at the same time. Leaving them staggered out seems to be better.

During your first run, you'll only have the basic starter deck, but you'll eventually unlock the fire starter deck and acid starter deck. I tried all three, but quickly settled into the fire deck. My strategy was stacking fire damage on my opponents and stalling them with strong defensive cards. There are some good synergies you can make, and it's fun to experiment with the different mutations and familiars. I went with the familiar that adds 3 defense at the end of your turn.

I probably beat the game in under 10 runs, but a full run could take a couple hours. You keep your gold when you die, but you have to use it at the shop starting area or it's gone forever, so it only really benefits you on your next run. I'll also say that save scumming is totally possible in this game. If you enter a room and don't like the mutation that's there, for example, you can just exit to the main menu and try again. Game only seems to autosave at the start of each room.

Surprisingly, I liked this game. There's very little to complain about. I don't want to make it sound like it's easy because I got wrecked my first few runs. I'd probably still be trying to beat the first area if I hadn't stumbled into my broken deck. It's certainly not on the level of Slay the Spire, but only in the sense that it's more forgiving and less intense (and doesn't have that killer soundtrack). As someone with limited experience in this genre, I think it's a good introduction to deck-builders, but veterans might be bored by its simplicity.

I'd say this is maybe a 10-12 hour platinum and a 3/10 in difficulty, which is a sweet spot for me. Don't pay $15 for it, but maybe keep it in the back of your mind for a sale. I wish more "hardcore" genres had welcoming entries like this. Maybe then I could get my friends to play a Souls game...

• Like 2

Just when you thought it was safe go back in...

Platinum #359 - Subnautica: Below Zero

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/5d6a25/trophies/1L3e90b6.png

I'm glad my degree in marine biology is paying off.

Subnautica: Below Zero is the sequel to one of my favorite survival games, so it was only a matter of time before I got around it. I was a little hesitant going in because I knew the game took place in a polar region, which is less interesting to me than the warm water setting of the original, and also it looked like much of the game took place on land, which didn't seem to be in the spirit of the source material. Well, I'm happy to report that you're underwater for a good chunk of the game and the cold doesn't bother me anyway.

The storyline has you playing as a different character than the original, but the basic gameplay is the same. You begin with very little resources and have to scavenge the seafloor looking for material to build a base, locate artifacts, and stay alive. There are several difficulties you can play on, but I opted for the easiest, which turned this survival game into more of an exploration game. I didn't mind because I find food and water mechanics to be a bit overrated. For some reason, almost every survival game I've ever played requires you to consume about twenty adult cows per day in order to keep from starving to death. It does render a few items and gameplay mechanics obsolete, though.

The map was smaller than I expected. For the most part, the game does a good job of making it easy to navigate. The controls are good, the Seatruck handles well, and I was impressed how intuitive it was to follow cave systems or waypoints (beacons). Normally, with a game that has waypoints but a corridor-like system, it's very easy to get lost or keep running into a wall. I only had that problem a couple times on land. Underwater, most of the cave systems seem to loop back on each other, so I was usually able to get where I wanted to go, even if I was taking a bit of a detour or finding a different way back to the surface. I'm always interested in how developers try to "guide" players in open world games like this.

That said, the reliance of cave systems in this game made it far less scary than the original. I'm not sure why. Dark, narrow corridors should be terrifying. I think it's because there's a lot less sealife in this game. There are a few creatures that will attack you on your ship, but none of them seem overly threatening. The only hostile thing that got my heart pounding was a sea monkey. I was only an hour into the game and I had built my first scanner. I started using it on some plants and this bastard sea monkey came out of nowhere and stole it from me. I chased him down with my survival knife and cut him up into little pieces. I felt pretty good about myself afterward.

Spoiler

Later in the game, the sea monkeys deliver you items instead of taking them from you. I felt bad after this.

There are also pengwings (not a typo), which are adorable. Also, hostile if you try to run off with one of their babies.

But even the leviathans in this game weren't scary. The only moment I felt any sense of dread was when I entered the deep sea, which I assume is the world's edge. THAT is much scarier than any cave system. I still don't know what happens in the original if you venture too far off the map. I don't want to know. But that game did horror right. This one felt like it was trying to be more approachable, which is the opposite direction I would expect from a sequel. Which leads me to ask the question: is there even enough here to warrant being a sequel? You've heard the phrase, "This meeting could've been an email"? Well, this game could've been a DLC. That's what it plays like. You have a smaller map, a shorter story, and some nifty new gadgets to play around with. (The Snowfox is cool, though. I also liked the Jukebox. My boy Miracle of Sound got his song in the game.) If Subnautica is a $30 game, this should be around $15. Worth a play if you liked the first one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the last sea-based survival game on the console. I guess Green Hell is next.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4

I was having so much fun reading this, so immersive, then I realized I was reading posts from 2017 but here I am, 2023. 

Congrats on the 359, that's a pretty number! 

You are the first person I know that actually have a degree in marine biology, everyone wanted to study that (myself included) when we were younger, I'm glad to see that you made it !!! and great review as Ive been seen here, that's usual ? Your miserable little pile of plats is not that miserable nor little, keep it up, looking forward for the next update!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puppeter04 said:

I was having so much fun reading this, so immersive, then I realized I was reading posts from 2017 but here I am, 2023.

Dang. Have I really been doing this for six years? I remember only starting this thread because I was sick one day.

1 hour ago, Puppeter04 said:

You are the first person I know that actually have a degree in marine biology, everyone wanted to study that (myself included) when we were younger, I'm glad to see that you made it !!! and great review as Ive been seen here, that's usual 1f609.png Your miserable little pile of plats is not that miserable nor little, keep it up, looking forward for the next update!! 

Thanks. That's kinda the joke I always make... that everybody wanted to be a marine biologist when they were a kid. I actually wanted to be a cartoonist. It wasn't until later in my life that I took up an interest in science. I just like to reference it whenever I play a game that has to do with the ocean, which is a surprising number of games.

If you do go back and read some of the earlier posts or reviews, hopefully you'll find them entertaining. I try to mix things up from time to time, so it's not always just a straight-up review. I think my favorite games to review are actually the ones that piss me off, so I think I've become a bit of a masochist.

I don't know what game is next. I can't finish Tropico 6 until I find someone to help me with the MP trophy. (I am going to absolutely eviscerate that game in my review, though.) I have some other active games, but they're going to take a while to finish. We have the 15k milestone coming up, so I guess we could start preparing for that. I don't have any plans for that one, but I told you two years ago that it would happen in 2023. I can't wait to get the next one in 2025.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Thanks. That's kinda the joke I always make... that everybody wanted to be a marine biologist when they were a kid. I actually wanted to be a cartoonist. It wasn't until later in my life that I took up an interest in science. I just like to reference it whenever I play a game that has to do with the ocean, which is a surprising number of games.

And it's true, everybody wanted to be one when we were kids but then, in my case, I turned into the weird kid that wanted to be a coroner. Then changed again, and I have my degree in nutrition, and currently doing a Ph.D. which I have to defend in June. But what I find kind of sad is that a lot of us really have an interest in something artistic but grew up with the saying "art won't pay your bills". 

Yeah, I've been reading a lot of them and had a blast ngl. Love when people are pissed off, most hilarious reviews ever. I kinda do the same thing, I like to complain so check out mine if you feel like it. Narrating my return after 2 years. 

Then I'm looking forward to a Tropico6 review, I'd help you if I had it tho. Anyways, if you ever need help with something lmk, don't trust the games on my profile cause I'm a collector and I have a bunch of them not started yet it this account, just ask away, and if I don't have it, I'll just buy it if its interesting enough :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Puppeter04 said:

And it's true, everybody wanted to be one when we were kids but then, in my case, I turned into the weird kid that wanted to be a coroner. Then changed again, and I have my degree in nutrition, and currently doing a Ph.D. which I have to defend in June. But what I find kind of sad is that a lot of us really have an interest in something artistic but grew up with the saying "art won't pay your bills".

Very cool. Good luck with your defense! I still have nightmares about mine. (The work leading up to it. The actual defense was a huge relief off my shoulders.)

3 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

I might start looking into games that were run on GDQ - Gris, The Last Campfire, Tunic, stuff like that. I really love Games Done Quick, I listened to one of their shows where the hosts were giving trivia questions to the runners, it was fun. ^_^

All good games. The first two anyway. I haven't gotten to Tunic yet, but it's on my wishlist.

Not a Platinum #36 (maybe?)

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/b1c217/L99da5b.png

Normally, I only do NAP reviews if it's a longer game that probably should've had a platinum, like Resident Evil 4 or King's Quest. I thought this was going to be a long game, but this is one of those ultra rare times that I think the PSNP guide grossly overestimated the amount of time it would take. It's listed at 25 hours. I started the game at 1 AM last night. I played for a few hours, slept 'til 11, got up, painted a ceiling, had a late lunch, watched two football games, and now I'm just letting enemies kill me for the "Die 50 times" trophy - the last one I need for the 100%. I think I only died four times during normal gameplay, so this could take a while.

Really cool game, though. It's a rogue-lite where the gimmick is that the difficulty increases the longer you stay alive. You could rush through every level, but then you might not have enough upgrades to survive later on. You can take your time and search every level for upgrades, but then...well, I mean, the game is supposed to get harder, but I found you can absolutely break it with enough power-ups. Even on the default difficulty, I got to the point where I was healing so much faster than I was taking damage that I could just stand in one spot, hold the R2 button down, and kill everything. I actually thought the game might crash because of all the crap flying across the screen. If you like having a power trip, this is your kind of game.

There are a bunch of characters you can play as, but I only ever got to try the Commando (only character unlocked at the start of the game, Bandit (the one I used almost exclusively, but had to be unlocked by beating the third level), and HAN-D (good for drowning snails -- sick idea for a trophy, devs). From what I can tell, though, each character has four skills, which are mapped to the trigger buttons. For the characters I used, one seems to be a default attack that is always available, another is a movement skill (e.g. dodge or temporarily increases running speed), and the other two are special attacks with a short cooldown. Enemies can spawn anywhere on the map, but you're usually faster than them and a lot of them don't have long range attacks. They also generally can't climb ladders. I found positioning yourself on small platforms or on high ground to be key for survival. Some enemies can absolutely obliterate your HP if you're in melee range.

I only played this game because I'm interested in the sequel, but I have no complaints. I like the death messages, which I'm seeing repeatedly right now. It doesn't just say, "You have died." It insults and belittles you. I always wish more games did that. Remember that in the Arkham series? The villains would gloat over your presumed corpse, having finally taken down the Batman. Nothing makes me want to get back into a fight more than a game that tries to rub it in.

OK. There's the last trophy. Until next time!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #360 - Bugsnax

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/7e6358/trophies/1L60634c.png

33 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

In a stunning upset, I AM going to recommend this game. It's too bizarre not to. 

Yes...I think...I will try this game too ?it sounds SO WEIRD, like a pokemon creepypasta that somehow works! That was one funny review!

Glad this fever dream of a game turns out to be actually good :D

• Like 4

I very much enjoyed risk of rain, and having not too long ago finished risk of rain 2 I look forward to hearing your thoughts as there's nowhere near enough coverage of the game for my liking!

If you can, play it with people for some of the time as it's a slightly different experience (and no less enjoyable!).

• Like 1

Glad to see you are doing well. I don't think I could survive a survival game. (rimshot) I already had my fill of horror with LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2. Yes, I am going to rant and flame that game until the day I die because it is a janky pile of hot garbage in performance standards. It crashed four times on me. ? The only reason I don't hate it is because it builds off of the LEGO Marvel-verse and did a really good job covering a lot of obscure characters.

Now I just need one more game to get to my 100th platinum.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

What do you have in mind for #100? I got my 15k milestone on some random trophy in Green Hell. I was too lazy to find something more creative. But given the dog-eat-dog world of the last three games I've played, I guess it works.

Well it's either going to be the PS5 version of Shantae and the Seven Sirens, which I didn't realize had stacks, or SaGa Frontier Remastered. I was a little worried about getting into that game, but now that I have two DevilSquids and everyone has over 850 health, I'm not too concerned. I just cheese Gaze of Death to insta-kill the DevilSquids in Yorkland swamp. xD Oh yeah, starting on Lute since he has no story beats between the first scene and the final boss. Just need to talk to a guy in Owmi to start the final dungeon. :P

SaGa Frontier was my #100 in my last account, but it'll probably be the same here unless I get hooked on finishing the second Shantae or I get tired and sleep through February and have to do World of Final Fantasy for my Spring Backlog. :D

Love the review. I'm not really into body horror games, but if the platinum for Carrion is that easy and there's no real threat of game over, might look into it for a future platinum, break out of my usual box. ;)

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taruta13 said:

Wow, that really bites. I feel bad for you, Cass. I don't have any other words. I am so glad I am not touching the Tropico series because I hate city simulation. :(

It pales in comparison to Cites: Skylines anyway. (And NO, everybody. I am NOT playing the recently released remastered version of that game. Somebody else can go chasing blue tornadoes.)

Alright. I'm off to wizard school or something. You know what's next.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:21 AM, Cassylvania said:

I want to talk about how I messed up. Each campaign is long. Some of them took me several attempts. There's a trophy for completing each of them, but a separate trophy for completing all 15. What I didn't understand was how the save system works in this game. I got 14 campaigns done, but the last one was giving me a hard time. I decided to take a break from the story mode and play on the custom maps for some of the miscellaneous trophies; however, the developers patched the game so that you can no longer get trophies if you change the settings to unlimited money. No problem if you own a physical version of the game, right? Just delete the patch, play offline, and get your trophies. NO. Do NOT do this. Or, if you ARE going to do it, FINISH THE CAMPAIGN MAPS FIRST. Why? Because it will absolutely corrupted your save. I had to do ALL FOURTEEN MAPS (PLUS the one that was giving me fits) AGAIN. We are talking FORTY EXTRA HOURS I HAD TO PUT INTO THIS GAME. It would've been even longer but I had fortunately made a couple backup saves right before beating a couple missions. I was afraid loading these would corrupt my save again, but it was a risk I was willing to make. Had I done this for EVERY map (instead of overwriting older ones), I might've saved myself this headache. Believe me when I say that the day I retire from trophy hunting, it will be because of games like this. I was liking it, but that was absolutely demoralizing and I have no one to blame but myself.

I finished with 120 hours of gameplay, so I'm slapping the BULLSHIT stamp on the PSNP guide estimate on this one. You are not finishing this in 30 hours. However, BECAUSE I did enjoy this game (up until a certain point), even if you subtract off the 40 extra hours I put into it, I will begrudgingly say it's worth its current asking price. This is a quality title, even if I will go to my grave saying I despise it and that Tropico 5 was a better overall experience.

I'd also say this is harder than a 4/10.

Cassy... 

b6c1fd57c06fbc5ba7dc93e73ff2afc3.jpg

I've had Tropico 6 on my physical shelf for damn near a year now. I thoroughly enjoyed Tropico 5 from several years ago and whenever I got that city simulator/building itch I was going to break it out of its emergency case as I figured it'd do the job. Your review helped reaffirm several of my suspicions with the PSNP guide. 30 hours? The fastest 100% times didn't quite line up with that. I think I'll now when I eventually do get around to tackling the game is 1) Look up what objectives are asked on each map so I'm not completely blindsided by an industry I totally ignored and have to end up chasing it with zero infrastructure in place. This happened to me far too much in Tropico 5 and reading your review gave me PTSD flashbacks. 2) DON'T MESS WITH THOSE DAMN PATCHES. I DO have a physical copy of the game. Maybe I'll do all the infinite money ones first and then save the campaign for last? Heck, I may wanna bug you for the multiplayer trophy (tho based on the review I imagine you've deleted the game already). Reviews like these are why I love the trophy cabinet section of this forum as it's the only sorta 1st hand accounts of the journey you can get compared to everywhere else. 

I'm very excited about the inevitable 13 Sentinels Review.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, realm722 said:

I've had Tropico 6 on my physical shelf for damn near a year now. I thoroughly enjoyed Tropico 5 from several years ago and whenever I got that city simulator/building itch I was going to break it out of its emergency case as I figured it'd do the job. Your review helped reaffirm several of my suspicions with the PSNP guide. 30 hours? The fastest 100% times didn't quite line up with that.

I essentially earned the platinum twice. Even then, I think it would take me at least 50-60 hours to platinum it a third time. Some of those campaign maps will take an entire play session, and you'll likely have to restart a few because you can't pull yourself out of debt. Even if you play on the fastest speed, you're often just waiting around for stuff to happen. I would be thoroughly impressed if somebody could finish under 30 hours.

1) Look up what objectives are asked on each map so I'm not completely blindsided by an industry I totally ignored and have to end up chasing it with zero infrastructure in place.

It would help. I think your first objective on every map should just be to build a stable economy. There usually aren't objectives that would require you to sabotage that.

2) DON'T MESS WITH THOSE DAMN PATCHES. I DO have a physical copy of the game. Maybe I'll do all the infinite money ones first and then save the campaign for last? Heck, I may wanna bug you for the multiplayer trophy (tho based on the review I imagine you've deleted the game already). Reviews like these are why I love the trophy cabinet section of this forum as it's the only sorta 1st hand accounts of the journey you can get compared to everywhere else.

I have it on physical disc, so just let me know. Only takes a couple minutes.

You'll be fine if you just finish the campaign first. I just got antsy and wanted to jump around. Big mistake.

I'm very excited about the inevitable 13 Sentinels Review.

If the game wasn't 40 hours long, I'd be done by now. Oh, wait. I could've been doing that instead of platinuming Tropico 6 a second time.

46 minutes ago, Taruta13 said:

I don't see the platinum icon for Bee Simulator. Did you accidentally paste it as an image instead of an image link? The forum probably deleted it because it was an aimage and therefore formatted. :(

Huh, I'll try to fix it. The image is actually kinda cool... bee-lieve it or not.

...Sorry.

Edited by Cassylvania