Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

19 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Yep, that's why I played this game with the TV volume set to zero. (I don't have a TV remote so I can't mute it.)

Thankfully I don't have to prostitute myself to Pic-a-Pix since Artifex Mundi came out with a game starting with P. (Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder) Say everything mean and nasty about me, but I will always support this Swedish company even though Grim Legends 3 threw me under the bus. :P Now I have to go spank Trine 3 for glitching out and making it impossible to complete.

Artifex Mundi are a Polish company ;)

@Cassylvania It's great to see that you listed Kingdom Hearts in your top 3 Camp games;  I'm definitely looking forward to reading your thoughts about the others as you play them.  I still need to work on the rest of the series, but I'm having a lot of fun game hopping around my incomplete games at the moment. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Yep, that's why I played this game with the TV volume set to zero. (I don't have a TV remote so I can't mute it.)

I don't think Imagine Dragons are in Lara Croft GO. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if they were -- I literally can't go a day without hearing one of their annoying songs somewhere -- but I think we're safe in the video game world. Just watch out for Guitar Hero.

Also, I recently watched the new(ish) Tomb Raider movie. It was just about the most mediocre thing I've ever seen.

8 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I bet you want me to get my money back, huh, because I just bought a physical copy from GameStop for $10.

I paid $20, and I feel cheated. Yonder is a free PS Plus game at best. (That's not to say you shouldn't play it, but it has a lot of the same problems as No Man's Sky at launch. You're essentially paying for the novelty.)

8 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

@Cassylvania It's great to see that you listed Kingdom Hearts in your top 3 Camp games;  I'm definitely looking forward to reading your thoughts about the others as you play them.  I still need to work on the rest of the series, but I'm having a lot of fun game hopping around my incomplete games at the moment. 

I had to make a decision of what new series I would begin this year. I'm glad I chose KH over MGS, Far Cry, or Assassin's Creed.

I'll probably begin CoM next week. I very much doubt I'll get them all finished before KH3 releases, but I at least want to make some headway.

Now, along those lines, I'm thinking about switching my priorities. I had originally planned on doing the Spelling Bee event, and then using those same games for the Halloween event (plus whatever other ones I have the time to play). It's occurred to me that I'm doing it wrong. I should be doing it the other way around. I should plan my Halloween games, and then we'll just see what word I can spell by the end of September. It probably won't be KINKY -- and maybe that's for the best, because I'm not sure I can finish both K games in a month -- but we can just consider it a fun bonus to the summer and fall events. And who knows? Maybe those random L and B games I added to the Summer Camp event will allow us to spell some special word. Like BLINKY. Or BLARGH.

Anyway, that'll allow me to get Yomawari as plat #125 and then wrap up the Crash DLC trophies to get back to 100%. Crash 3 will then serve as a barrier between the two events, and I won't feel guilty about double (or even triple) dipping with Yomawari.

20 some collectibles left to find...

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

Platinum #125 - Yomawari: Midnight Shadows

1L3a182c.png

I've already praised this game, so I won't say more about it here. I am glad to say that I platinumed it at exactly midnight (okay, I was off by four seconds, but it was a delayed pop), and I finished all 17 (!) Summer Camp games with a full week to spare. It's been a wild ride. There was laughter, there were tears -- mostly tears -- and, I gotta say, it was surprisingly fun. I didn't really plan on playing as many games over these three months as I did, but I'm glad I took some chances. Many of these were games I would have never gotten to otherwise.

Now, I've already given my thoughts on each of these games, so you know my recommendations. This is the one I would probably recommend the most highly, as it is the most engaging, with the best storyline, and a decent trophy list. The collectibles are a little annoying (use a guide, but only once you reach the post-game), but it's still a sub-20 hour platinum, and probably the most memorable game to come out of this event. For me anyway.

If I ever do get a Vita (not likely), I'll definitely check out Night Alone, which I guess is the prequel to this. Even though many of the things about that game have now been spoiled for me...

What else to say...?

Well, my drawing is just about finished. I kinda wish I had waited until AFTER playing this game to begin, because I would've done something completely different for Haru and Yui, but meh. That's just a risk the later games had to take.

I watched the Eagles/Browns game tonight. It was pretty much the worst thing ever. The only good takeaway is that it ended in a score of 5-0, which might not seem like a football score, but I assure you: that's because they weren't playing football out there.

Also, I've eagerly been watching the rarity for To Live Forever and Take a Deep Breath plummet. I was kinda joking when I said the newest patch for No Man's Sky might make those trophies easier to earn, but I guess I was right. They've been ticking up a few decimal places each day. Not sure they're going to surpass the XCOM 2 plat, but a dreamer can dream.

Lastly, I've made the decision to NOT put my account back at 100%. That's right -- Crash can sit his ass back in line. Nobody asked him to ruin my summer (and soon-to-be fall) event. If he wants my time so badly, he can just wait until after October, when I find the time. You already hogged up three spots last Halloween, ya big...hog.

And so ends our summer...

YomawariMidnight-Hero.jpg

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

Congrats on finishing the event with room to spare and on Plat 125!

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

If I ever do get a Vita (not likely), I'll definitely check out Night Alone, which I guess is the prequel to this. Even though many of the things about that game have now been spoiled for me...

Thanks for this heads up. You've got me sold on Yomawari and if it makes sense to play this first, I'm glad to know ahead of time.

I watched the Eagles/Browns game tonight. It was pretty much the worst thing ever. The only good takeaway is that it ended in a score of 5-0, which might not seem like a football score, but I assure you: that's because they weren't playing football out there.

I still haven't watched a snap yet. I may watch a bit of the Patriots game tonight since most of the starters should play most of the first half...but I just can't get into preseason. I had my draft the other night and it went...ok. I ended up getting OBJ with 11, which surprised me and then I decided to go with Cook. If Founette was available, I was going to scoop him up, but someone took him and I had to decide between Melvin Gordon, Kareem Hunt and Dalvin Cook. I can't stand Gordon since he burned me two years in a row and while he was who I probably should have taken, I passed. I really like Cook's upside so took the plunge. My biggest disappointment was not getting Brady. I like to have him on my team, one because he is good and two because I like to be fully invested in my Patriots. He went two picks before my turn;; Anywho, no one cares about my fantasy team except me so I'll stop there :)

I took a look at the Halloween event just to get an idea what it was about. I wasn't going to join the event, however I want to replay Batman and Dark Souls in the near future and they each fell into a category as is, so I'm taking the plunge. I won't go crazy and try to hit every category like the summer event, but I should be able to get three done. I'm going to wait until Wednesday to see what September's free games are before I decide completely, but Return to Arkham Asylum and Dark Souls Remastered are definitely two of the three. I have a couple of others in my backlog that would qualify, but I figure I'll go for the bonus badge of not changing games, so I want to make sure there is nothing free coming out that I would prefer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Briste said:

Thanks for this heads up. You've got me sold on Yomawari and if it makes sense to play this first, I'm glad to know ahead of time.

Yeah, you probably want to play Night Alone first. Not sure what it's like, but there are some references to it in Midnight Shadows.

I still haven't watched a snap yet. I may watch a bit of the Patriots game tonight since most of the starters should play most of the first half...but I just can't get into preseason. I had my draft the other night and it went...ok. I ended up getting OBJ with 11, which surprised me and then I decided to go with Cook. If Founette was available, I was going to scoop him up, but someone took him and I had to decide between Melvin Gordon, Kareem Hunt and Dalvin Cook. I can't stand Gordon since he burned me two years in a row and while he was who I probably should have taken, I passed. I really like Cook's upside so took the plunge. My biggest disappointment was not getting Brady. I like to have him on my team, one because he is good and two because I like to be fully invested in my Patriots. He went two picks before my turn;; Anywho, no one cares about my fantasy team except me so I'll stop there :)

I've only been "watching" it to try to figure out how I'm going to watch the regular season games. I was able to stream the Browns game on Fox, but only for an hour. Tonight, I'm going to try the fire stick again. Seahawks/Vikings is one of my favorite NFC rivalries, so I always look forward to those games. I won't have much of a chance to try things out tomorrow or Sunday.

I took a look at the Halloween event just to get an idea what it was about. I wasn't going to join the event, however I want to replay Batman and Dark Souls in the near future and they each fell into a category as is, so I'm taking the plunge. I won't go crazy and try to hit every category like the summer event, but I should be able to get three done. I'm going to wait until Wednesday to see what September's free games are before I decide completely, but Return to Arkham Asylum and Dark Souls Remastered are definitely two of the three. I have a couple of others in my backlog that would qualify, but I figure I'll go for the bonus badge of not changing games, so I want to make sure there is nothing free coming out that I would prefer.

Yeah, I wavered for a while too. For me, it was like, "Why am I doing the Spelling Bee event and NOT the Halloween event?" The second one is clearly more my style. But I'm going to do like you -- set the bar low and have whatever happens happen. I haven't decided on my three games yet, but they'll all be short/easy ones, or games I had already planned to play anyway. Like Icey.

In the meantime, though, I suppose I can relax with another puzzle game. That's why, against my better judgement (four words that have doomed me for years), I've decided to join @Jens on Phil's Epic Adventure. Yes, I know, it's probably going to piss me off -- but this summer began with Pic-a-Pix, and I see no reason it shouldn't end the same way. At the very least, it'll give me time to plan out my next series of games.

Alright then, Phil. Pour me a cup of joe, and let's see how "epic" this adventure really is...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jens said:

Well I didn't correct it because I thought it's not so important, but now that you started it: I didn't use any internet help, I just used the ring filler tool and the "where is the next solvable area" help despite not wanting to do so. The rest was no correction or anything, just those two to save at least some time. Because..... as you will see..... one puzzle might take >2 hours if you don't use anything at all :P 

WHY THE HELL ARE THE BOARDS SO BIG!?

Geez. The first puzzle took me 45 minutes, the second took 35... I was like, "Okay, well, let's pick a smaller puzzle," because I noticed icons were different sizes. Apparently that's just an optical illusion, because the puzzle I picked was twice as big as the others and took me an hour and 15 minutes.

Hot butter on a tin roof -- there are 120 of these things!? WHY DIDN'T YOU GET A BETTER CAMERA, PHIL!?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jens said:

With the "Jigsaw category" in the event I was thinking about doing the Nonary Games or LiS: Before the Storm. I already played 999 wayyyyy back on the DS and to be honest I can't imagine these games to be all that amazing on the PS4, and therefore I picked Before the Storm. And once more the Cass has played both of them already :P What's your take on that? Good choice, bad choice, who cares choice?

I would go with Before the Storm as well. The Nonary Games isn't bad, but it's longer, more complicated, and, honestly, less memorable. It has its moments, but it's not the comprehensive piece that BtS is. That being said, I know a lot of people who liked Life is Strange didn't care for the sequel, so don't expect a masterpiece.

If you really wanted to play the Nonary Games, it could fit into other phobias, such as time, insanity, dying, and decisions. BtS would work for those as well.

I'm not sure what I'll do for Candyman. Phil keeps offering me cookies, but I don't really like accepting gifts from strange middle-aged men who invite me into their homes to develop photographs. Unless Phil IS the Candyman...

That would explain this torture.

• Like 2

@Jens Have you played it? It has mixed reviews. Obviously, I love a good 2D platformer, but I don't know much about the game -- or the trophy list. Plat looks fairly rare (2.66%, with about 1700 players).

Anyway, I reached my 5500th trophy non-milestone. I guess this is the equivalent to finishing in fourth place. Second and third are impressive, but fourth -- meh, not so much. No medal for you! At least plat #125 got some recognition, and I'm glad it was a really good game...

There's no way I'm going to grind out Phil's ridiculous trophies without knocking out a couple more games along the way, so let's consider our options... I've decided to play Icey (I guess it's supposed to be in all caps, like ICEY, but I don't like shouting), Oxenfree, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (I never noticed the word "the" was in there until now... I think it sounds better the other way). I really wanna try Little Dragon's Cafe, though. Nobody has the plat yet, so I probably should wait until that happens. If the plat isn't possible to obtain (easily) by Halloween,  I don't want to begin it just yet.

I might pull a @Briste and play Return to Arkham Asylum for Dementophobia. I definitely don't want to begin Return to Arkham City yet (due to all the DLC), but Asylum is pretty straightforward.

What do you guys think about me playing Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard? I know it goes against everything I stand for, but... it's so fitting...

• Like 2

On 8/26/2018 at 6:33 PM, Jens said:

I mean come on, it's called Epic for a reason. Buckle up and solve dem puzzles! Pass the torch to @Briste because let's be real..... he has to complete it as well once we are both done with it. That's just logic.

lol you know I enjoy a good puzzle! I may hit it up on my Vita when I'm done with Space Hulk. I've decided I'm not going to stress on that game. I'll play 15 mins here, an hour there...but I'm not going to add it to any events since I'm not sure if the trophy glitched out on me or if the kill count was restarted every time I rebooted the Vita. I'm up to about 3800 kills since I last restarted so it may be a few months before I get around to this one.

I might pull a @Briste and play Return to Arkham Asylum for Dementophobia. I definitely don't want to begin Return to Arkham City yet (due to all the DLC), but Asylum is pretty straightforward.

I had a little hesitation on pulling the trigger for Return to Arkham Asylum because I would like to do them back-to-back, however I think it will take too long to do Return to Arkham City and Dark Souls Remastered. If I stress too much about it, then I'll be contradicting me wanting to play the games I want and having them fit into the events as they pop up...we'll see how I'm sitting after I finish up with Shadow of War. I only have two trophies left for the platinum (plus the DLC), but they are the grind-y ones. Thankfully, it sounds like they both go hand in hand so it won't be two separate grinds. 

I noticed that I passed @Jens as far as the trophies are concerned. Are you enjoying it so far? I'm really liking it a lot. I was a little nervous that the game glitched on me a couple times, but I think I'm good. I thought the 'Forged by War' trophy glitched in a good way for me since it popped when I finished the last Eltariel quest. I did not have all of the player skills learned yet when it popped, but I think I just misunderstood the description. I thought I had to learn all of the skills, but I think I just needed to have them all unlocked and able to be earned. I also killed a dragon on a graug like three times and it never popped. It finally popped for me last night. I must've had DoT kill it or Eltariel when I was trying before.

5 hours ago, Jens said:

And because you would aim for the platinum: You would need to grind some "experience" and RNG-farm some treasure chests. Nothing too horrible, but for completion reasons this could be a turnoff, especially in timed events. So overall.... When Gungeon was a 8/10 joke as a recommendation for @Briste, I would say this one is...... a 6/10 earnest recommendation. It was fun for me, it was rewarding beating the learning curve (and that's my main draw with these games), the soundtrack has some bangers, but it might piss you off at some points :P You would be able to do it 100%, but I can't predict with how much anger it would happen, or if it would happen without any anger at all.

I still might try that game at some point :) The playthroughs scare me away, but it looked interesting enough!

13 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

What do you guys think about me playing Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard? I know it goes against everything I stand for, but... it's so fitting...

lol go nuts...I'll probably start adding some Lego games to my list as I start playing with my kid more often :) Or maybe I should make a profile for him and start him off with some Lego stuff...

• Like 2

@Jens Wow, that was a pretty detailed review. I'm watching the video now. I'll likely save it for later, if that's the game I end up choosing, because I'll want to watch the actual Candyman movie first. You might be surprised to learn that I haven't seen very many horror movies, outside of the ones that find their way onto MST3K.

I suppose the other option would be a game that has something to do with candy or sweets, like...Nom Nom Galaxy or Perils of Baking. I had always assumed Candyman was some kind of deranged ice cream truck driver...

9 hours ago, Jens said:

in 2 ways.

Taking games you would play anyways and puzzling them into categories.

Play stuff outside of your smallest comfort zone to fill some categories.

So if you ask me just go ahead and do it. It would have a real purpose at that point, so why not? :P 

Yeah, and it might be my only chance to get a -sylvania game on my profile, since Castlevania is apparently called Bloodstained now. If I had known that, I would've made my username Bloodsylvania.

Where's our PSN ID name changes!?

4 hours ago, Briste said:

lol go nuts...I'll probably start adding some Lego games to my list as I start playing with my kid more often :) Or maybe I should make a profile for him and start him off with some Lego stuff...

Oh, I love the LEGO games. At least the ones I've played (Star Wars and LotR). I circled The Hobbit as the next game in the series I want to try. I'm not going to play them ALL, but it's nice to have some decent movie-based games out there. I can't tell you how many times I've been itching to play something related to one of my favorite series, only to find out the only console game for it belongs on an episode of AVGN.

Let's make Rocky 2019 happen.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I circled The Hobbit as the next game in the series I want to try.

I actually bought that a month or so ago when it was on sale. I've never played a Lego game before and I'm trying to get a small library ready so that I have some stuff available when my son is ready to try some games. I promised my wife I'd only let him play once a week for now. She hates gaming so I'm happy that she was ok with that amount. The movies are pretty funny so I'm hoping there is some carryover into the games.

17 hours ago, Jens said:

Maybe it's a bit on the repetitive side with all the "castle raids", but everything is still there and just fun enough to play around with.

I'm starting to agree with this statement here. I thought it was a pretty cool new addition to the game at first, however, the entire endgame is just this, so it's getting repetitive. I didn't really do any of the online stuff while playing through the main story. I just went from quest to quest and collectible to collectible and the game flowed pretty well. I was surprised that I completed Shadow Wars already since the trophy guide said it was quite a grind. I only did 5 defenses and was done...the online captain trophy is proving to be the grind. You only get 100 points per successful gold raid and 25 points for silver raid and you need 2500 points for the trophy. I'm sitting at like 2300 right now. Not sure exactly how I have that many, but these raids are getting quite chaotic. I have six captains in the raid, they have six warlords in the defense and each of their warlords has like two or three captains defending them...I think there were like twenty unique orcs in one area during my last raid, not to mention the tons of regular grunts. It's like a scene from Braveheart out there and it gets hard to target an individual, I've been kind of hanging out on the wall trying to shadow dominate the warlords that turn green and jumping back out. You have seven minutes to win and get the gold, which is actually pretty challenging. I don't think I'll do any more raids once I get that trophy.

18 hours ago, Jens said:

No trophy bugs for me so far, but did you use the method of reviving an orc, beating it up and riding the Olog while your own orc is dying?

I didn't do it this way. What I did was take my lowest level orc and give him a gang of Ologs. Then I made him my bodyguard, summoned him and beat on him until he turned on me. I ran away and fast traveled so that his gang of Ologs would return to his control instead of mine. Then I sought him out on the map and beat him within an inch of his life. Then I danced around avoiding him until I was able to stun and ride on the Olog and kill the captain. It was pretty easy this way and I made sure to pick a captain that didn't have a ton of in-vulnerabilities. Plus, if I screwed up I could run away or restart the game to try again. I did it on my second try with this method. (First time the Ologs died from a group of Caragors that showed up.)

18 hours ago, Jens said:

And you actually made it happen that I get a gag reflex when I browse through the store and see Space Hulk, so thanks for that.

lol you are very welcome! 

Also, great job again Cassy on that picture. You should add it to your OP or create an art gallery page or something. I'd be interested to see what else you have done!

• Like 2

On 8/28/2018 at 8:17 PM, Jens said:

After years of failing I finally started to watch movies with my girlfriend on a somewhat regular basis. So I may know even less :P I watched Swiss Army Man recently and I don't know if my brain will ever work again, the dumbest movie which I couldn't dislike for whatever reason. Ni No Kuni 2 features candy. Not in a very prominent role, but it's there. Not that I would really recommend that game in good faith, but you could use it. In Guacamelee you kick a Pinata after every little fight arena. There's coins in it, but technically..... there should be candy in it..... so technically it should count..... I think. And it would be an excuse for you to play Guacamelee. ¡No te arrepentirás!

For your Castlevania urge - if you'll ever get your PS3 - you can get one of the Lord of Shadows games :P I liked the first one a lot without understanding why I did.

NNK2 is definitely on my list to play, but probably not at the same time as the KH series. I can only take so much cuteness at once.

I've only heard good things about Guacamelee. I'm waiting for a sale, but...yeah, definitely going to happen at some point.

Castlevania... Yeah. I mean, truthfully, I'll probably play ALL the games for it if I get a PS3. The one I really want to start with is Harmony of Despair, because of the Slaughtervania trophy. It requires killing 10,000 enemies, which would make it perfect for my 10k milestone. By my calculation, that's about three years away. And the game has online trophies, I guess, so we might have server issues. If I knew enough people were playing it now, I could knock out the MP trophies, and then just let it sit unfinished on my profile for a while... But I don't know if anybody plays that, and I'm still one PS3 away from being able to play it anyway... Might be on PS Now, though. One of them is, I know.

7 hours ago, Briste said:

Also, great job again Cassy on that picture. You should add it to your OP or create an art gallery page or something. I'd be interested to see what else you have done!

Oh, thanks! Yeah, I'll add it to the OP or something eventually. If you guys haven't seen it, it's in the Camp Platapalooza thread.

So, I think I mentioned it before, but I used to do a drawing for every game that I platinumed. That's actually how I got into trophy hunting. There was something fun about trying to capture my experiences with a game, on my journey to platinum in a single piece. Eventually, I fell behind with the drawings, and then I just stopped altogether. Thought maybe I'd get back into it on this account, but...well, 125 platinums later...

Let me give it some thought. I can definitely show you some of the work I've done, but maybe I'll pick it up again, and I could maybe reuse some of the same pieces. Unfortunately, those were all PS3 games... I think Dark Souls is the only crossover.

I guess this just means Sony will have to do more remasters! (As if THAT wasn't going to happen anyway.)

2 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I noticed Foul Play is on PS+ next month and my mind instantly went to your review and your walkthrough :giggle:

Oh, goodie -- now we can all do the Foul Play together!

Hey, at least it's not as bad as the Phil. X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X + random arrow key + X.

Did I figure it out, @Jens?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jens said:

For a good reason, because that's quite a shitty reason to rework a guide, I would refuse as well :P Apparently they changed it from 10 stages containing 20 defenses to 3 stages containing 5

I think it would be a pretty easy fix to just add an *update* "Micro-transactions have been removed and the new requirements for Shadow of War is 3 Stages containing 5 defenses." I didn't really notice anything else that was different in the guide. To each their own, but if it was my name attached to something like a guide, I'd want it to be as accurate as possible. It's not a guide breaking detail, but it sure as hell surprised me lol.

7 hours ago, Jens said:

Edit: Well to avoid a double post I'll edit this post once more. Was my mood with the game at the end too bad or did the game really just stop? Gotta admit, I'm pretty perplex after the final cutscene and the credits, that's one weird way to end a game. Imagine you fought the Shadow Wars thrice as long just to see..... that. Holy cow. :P The credits are still running in the background and even the songs are weird.

I was going to mention this to you but didn't want to put any spoilers or anything in. I have no idea wtf that was as part of the ending. Did a programmer's kid die? It was a really odd tribute to have at the end of a pretty serious game. I watched it for a minute or two and then just skipped it since it wierded me out. The regular ending seemed a little odd too. I didn't realize that years were passing by between each defense. I'm not 100% sure I understand what happened but I'm glad you thought the same lol. 

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, goodie -- now we can all do the Foul Play together!

I'm not gonna lie...like a bad movie you feel obligated to see...I almost feel obligated to play this game now that it will be free. I'm probably going to wait on Phil too if it's as fun as you say lol.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jens said:

The sad thing is that because of the lack of negative ramifications this would probably work in the long run :D Are you enjoying your time with it so far? I mean you have a lot of it with this one. A LOT. Like, a really huge lot.

No. This game is awful. Allow me to explain.

Pic-a-Pix Color wasn't a great game, but it was enjoyable for what it was -- a simple puzzle game with some strategic elements. Part of what made the game fun was figuring out what you were making. Once you knew it was, say, a giraffe, you had a fairly good idea of where to place the rest of the pixels. You were never completely sure, but the puzzles were small enough (and involved enough) that it never felt like a chore. Plus, every puzzle felt unique, and you would trick along the ways that would make future puzzles easier (such as begin, or which color to focus on). This is trial-and-error at its best.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have Phil. This globetrotting asshole gives you puzzles that are only black and white, and are WAY too big to be enjoyable. That MIGHT be okay, if the game was employing PaPC's brilliant color-by-number strategy, but instead you're just clicking random squares (likely using the Smart Cursor, because there's no way in hell you're doing it one square at a time), following the same patterns over and over again (start with the 9's and 0's, click the 6's around the border, look for the 8's that are surrounded by filled-in squares, blah blah blah). It's so mind-numbingly dull and repetitive that I actually have to check my pulse every now and then to make sure I'm still alive. Imagine Minesweeper on PC, but without the bombs (because you can't lose), and ten times the size. That's Phil's Epic Fail.

The ONLY enjoyable trophy in this game, ironically enough, is the one that requires you to solve an entire puzzle without making a single mistake. It would be torturous if that was required for every puzzle, but it's kinda fun to play the game as it was likely intended, since you're actively thinking and not just going through the motions.

I honestly don't think I'm going to finish this game this year. I just don't have the patience.

2 hours ago, Briste said:

I'm not gonna lie...like a bad movie you feel obligated to see...I almost feel obligated to play this game now that it will be free. I'm probably going to wait on Phil too if it's as fun as you say lol.

I wouldn't recommend Foul Play (for reasons I've already stated), but it's not a terrible game. If you're curious to try out any of the games that I've ridiculed over the past year, you could certainly do a lot worse. Like Phil. Don't ever go Phil.

And, hey, that reminds me. This thread is officially one year old! (And 13 days... hey, I've been busy.) In that time, we've become the most viewed checklist thread, beating out many people who probably deserve it more than me. We've had some laughs, shed some tears, and played some really great games. Personally, I'm glad I decided to become more active on the forums. I couldn't have done it without you guys. And my F5 key. So many times, my F5 key.

What else to announce... You know, I should really just start posting my final thoughts in bullet form. It's so much easier that way. Ahem...

• The final day of preseason (aka, still not football season) is today! This is my FINAL final chance to figure out how I'm going to watch the games, before it actively interferes with my Sundays. Delicious, delicious Sundaes...
  • Prison Architect gave my 100% aspirations the middle finger. I'll admit, I'm a little surprised. That's a fairly old game to suddenly be resorting to DLC tactics. Well, P-Arch, you can just go sit your ass back in line with Crash, because I don't have time for this.
  • Thoughts on Owlboy? I've heard good and bad. Same with Little Dragons Cafe.
  • Actually, most of what I've heard about LDC is bad. Like, really bad. I'm...not sure how I feel about this. Maybe I'm just numb inside, because I don't expect any farming game to live up to the original Harvest Moons.
  • I hate to even suggest this, but Real Farm is on sale... I didn't LOVE Farming Simulator 17, but at least I could close my eyes and pretend I was playing something good. I mean, I couldn't actually close my eyes, or I wouldn't be able to see the game, but...you know what I mean.
  • Yomawari: Midnight Shadows is also on sale. Hint, hint. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.
Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2