Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

7 hours ago, Briste said:

I personally like the Platinum in its current location. It's a nice bookend to everything to see it complete, however I would agree with Cassy that for symmetry, they should probably swap the bronze and gold trophy placement. But that is a small gripe. I think having the X out of Y trophies back in that location is a huge win and the rest is relatively minor.

I think the placement is fine where it is. My gripe is where the platinum trophy is. Having it on the left of the percentage bar looks better in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Or you could always strap yourself in for some Rogue Legacy action.

Not an easy platformer. Plus you need a bit of skill to beat those remix bosses, and New Game Plus is definitely tough in a few places.

I'll definitely play and platinum the game at some point, but not until I clear out some games first.

I couldn't not do it, after searching the Oxford dictionary for five letter words that began with K (since I knew I'd be playing the next Kingdom Hearts, and it'd take me the longest time to platinum) and ended with Y (since Yomawari will be my last game for the summer). It's just a shame we can't play non-platinum games, because I would've loved to include King's Quest...

I have King's Quest and it's supposed to be a tribute to those old typing and point and click adventure games. Never got around to them until much later when they were readily available on the internet.

Sierra was a great company. Sad that it's long gone and is now relatively obscure with most gamers.

Alright, back to Deponia. Three hour platinum, my ass!

It's three hours IF YOU SKIP AND RUSH DIALOGUE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jens said:

Rayman Origins might fit the bill. It's pretty awesome and doesn't have the dumb onlinegrind from Rayman Legends.

Rayman is a franchise I’ve been wanting to get into for a while. He’s been around a long time, always considered him Ubisoft’s version of Mario, Sonic and Crash Bandicoot. 

May even play Rayman 3 even if it looks dated and plays a bit rubbish. 

Do you only need to be connected online for the online trophies in Rayman Legends?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jens said:

With each main level you level up some kind of "awesome level" in the game. But the story levels only take you to a certain level, the rest has to be achieved by competing in two daily and two weekly challenges (I think there were 4 overall) against other players in a leaderboard. The better you are the better your trophy is by the end of the competition and the more points you'll get. Best case you dish out some amazing scores in the top 1% and then you can do it in .... maybe 3 weeks? Or else you will have to grind for roughly 2 months if you settle for gold and silver trophies. It got pretty old pretty fast for me :P 

I have this game through Plus so I’ll have to try this out eventually. 

Probably not going to score in the top 1 percent. In leaderboards like that you need to be pretty skilled at getting that high up. 

• Like 1

R is a hard one. There's always Resident Evil, but you really gotta be a fan of the genre to enjoy the first one...and you gotta be a masochist to enjoy RER1. Rise of the Tomb Raider is good, but it's a long one (and it pales in comparison to the 2013 reboot). I would not recommend Rainbow Moon, despite it being one of the only grid-based, tactical RPGs for the system. It's very grindy and repetitive. Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs looks interesting, and Rocketbirds is a hidden gem on the PS3.

Or you could always strap yourself in for some Rogue Legacy action.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I thought about Resident Evil, however know me I'd probably want to beat the whole series and that's an undertaking I'm just not ready for. Rocketbirds looked interesting. Rogue Legacy did too, but that might be too much for the competition. I'm hoping one of the free games for August starts with an R and takes the decision out of my hands.

19 hours ago, Jens said:

Rayman Origins might fit the bill. It's pretty awesome and doesn't have the dumb onlinegrind from Rayman Legends.

And Rocket League is pretty fast (pun intended), but it might be poison for your completionist profile. It's one of those <50% completion plats.

I have this game free from a few months ago and I thought of this as a possibility...but the reason I won't for the event is because of this:

17 hours ago, Jens said:

With each main stage you level up some kind of "awesome level" in the game. But the story stages only take you to a certain level, the rest has to be achieved by competing in two daily and two weekly challenges (I think there were 4 overall) against other players in a leaderboard. The better you are the better your trophy is by the end of the competition and the more points you'll get. Best case you dish out some amazing scores in the top 1% and then you can do it in .... maybe 3 weeks? Or else you will have to grind for roughly 2 months if you settle for gold and silver trophies. I forgot what I calculated back then, but I think with silver and the occasional gold it would've taken that long. It got pretty old pretty fast for me :P 

I did also think of Rocket League...a guy I work with plays it all the time so I could get the co-op trophies easy...but that too seems like a big undertaking.

On a side note...I just 100% The Dwarves and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It's not terribly long, but it has a decent enough challenge and I really liked the story and the voice acting. The combat was a little frustrating since you can get knocked out for running into stuff or falling 6 inches...but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty satisfying. There were several times where the frame rates dropped quite a bit and the game froze on me once, however other than those minor instances, it was pretty good. The DLC trophies were pretty challenging as well. The only other real downside is you have to follow a guide to get the trophies since the majority of them are based on your responses during the dialogue portions. The Trophy Map on playstationtrophies.org is really good though and doesn't give any real spoilers. I'm happy I picked it up. Next up is Ratchet & Clank!

My anniversary was on Monday and I'm going out to dinner tonight and am going to treat myself to a nice steak :) Have a good weekend everyone!

• Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 5:43 PM, Spaz said:

It's three hours IF YOU SKIP AND RUSH DIALOGUE.

Probably. But we all know how I feel about that. If I'm going to pay money for a game, I'm damn well going to get my money's worth. That means listening to ALL of the dialogue.

Even the repeated ones.

On 7/28/2018 at 3:00 PM, Briste said:

On a side note...I just 100% The Dwarves and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It's not terribly long, but it has a decent enough challenge and I really liked the story and the voice acting. The combat was a little frustrating since you can get knocked out for running into stuff or falling 6 inches...but once I got the hang of it, it was pretty satisfying. There were several times where the frame rates dropped quite a bit and the game froze on me once, however other than those minor instances, it was pretty good. The DLC trophies were pretty challenging as well. The only other real downside is you have to follow a guide to get the trophies since the majority of them are based on your responses during the dialogue portions. The Trophy Map on playstationtrophies.org is really good though and doesn't give any real spoilers. I'm happy I picked it up. Next up is Ratchet & Clank!

Sounds good. I'll keep it in the back of my mind as we move forward.

I'm close to the end of Chaos on Deponia, and I'm at the final boss in Hollow Bastion in KH (basically, the second to last world), so that's two plats nearly ready to pop. I'll need to decide if I want to get them both soon, or if I want to wait on KH until August 13. If I get it then, I could use both it and KH:CoM as my "K" games, instead of having to buy...uh, whatever Kingdom: New Land is. Still, I'm not a big fan of double-dipping. The only reason I'm doing it with Yomawari is because that game has already been on every community event I've participated in, and I've yet to play it. Seems only fitting that it'd find a way to appear on two more lists.

Plus, I couldn't think of another Y game.

So, @Kent... One thing I noticed in the guide for KM:CoM is that they suggest playing through 358/2 Days first, as you get some kind of bonus thing (?) in that game that makes CoM easier or shorter or whatever. How much truth is there to this, and what are your thoughts?

And now, for the real question: grind to level 60+, or just take on the final world/boss?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

So, @Kent... One thing I noticed in the guide for KM:CoM is that they suggest playing through 358/2 Days first, as you get some kind of bonus thing (?) in that game that makes CoM easier or shorter or whatever. How much truth is there to this, and what are your thoughts?

And now, for the real question: grind to level 60+, or just take on the final world/boss?

You get a card for watching all of the cutscenes in Days that's need for the platinum. As far as I know you won't really use it that much to get through the game. (I've yet to plat the game myself....not looking forward to it). I'd recommend just skipping all of the cutscenes, then going through all of CoM, and then actually watching the cutscenes in Days for story purposes. Also the boss guide on this site is extremely helpful, and should make it so you'll only have to do one playthrough. 

What level are you currently? 55 should be enough to take on the final boss. 

Edited by Kent
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Probably. But we all know how I feel about that. If I'm going to pay money for a game, I'm damn well going to get my money's worth. That means listening to ALL of the dialogue.

Even the repeated ones.

Just wait until you play The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. 

TONS of dialogue and flavor text found in the Characters, Bestiary, Notes/Books sections of the game. You can literally spend days reading all that. I’m not kidding. 

Is there such a thing as a X-COM game I can get into? One that’s not too difficult and long?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kent said:

You get a card for watching all of the cutscenes in Days that's need for the platinum. As far as I know you won't really use it that much to get through the game. (I've yet to plat the game myself....not looking forward to it). I'd recommend just skipping all of the cutscenes, then going through all of CoM, and then actually watching the cutscenes in Days for story purposes. Also the boss guide on this site is extremely helpful, and should make it so you'll only have to do one playthrough. 

What level are you currently? 55 should be enough to take on the final boss. 

I'm 41, and I juuust almost beat you-know-who on my first try, but I died when he had just a sliver of health left. I wish it was easier to use items on the fly, because I often find myself in a Potion-get hit before I can move again-Potion-get hit before I can move again routine. 

42 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Is there such a thing as a X-COM game I can get into? One that’s not too difficult and long?

That's a bit of an oxymoron. That's like asking for an easy Dark Souls, or a Disgaea game that you can finish in a single sitting.

Do you mean a game like XCOM? Tactical RPGs is a sadly underrepresented genre. If you have any Nintendo consoles, there's Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Ogre Battle, Advance Wars, and Mario + Rabbids. For Playstation...well, Final Fantasy Tactics. I guess there's Nocturnal Doctrine, but (a) I've never played it, (b) it doesn't look very good, and (c) I don't think anybody on this planet has figured out its combat system. Darkest Dungeon is one of the best on the console, but it's just as long and hard as XCOM.

Invisible, Inc. looks interesting. I've played a little bit. Not enough to earn any trophies (thankfully -- it's a dreadfully long plat), but it's worth a look.

Valkryia Chronicles is probably your best choice. Besides being completely original (OK, the story is nothing special, but the combat and art style more than make up for it), it's also one of the best games of last generation. It's...basically turn-based combat, but there's also real-time action. What happens is you choose a character on the field of battle and then you can move that character around (like in a third-person shooter), but they can also get fired upon as they're moving. Essentially, you're trying to get them into a good position to take a shot, but also not to take damage along the way. I don't know of any other game that does combat like this, but it's a lot of fun.

Obviously, if anybody knows of any others, I'd love to hear them.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

+1 to what @Kent said about the boss guide on here being super useful!

The cards you get for watching 358/2 are not that useful really, I'd recomend finishing on Proud and then watching it/skipping it if you want but it is a good story. Then it wont take long to go pick up the reward cards to complete your collection while grinding levels

Edited by Dessane
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kent said:

@Cassylvania I actually don't know who....cause I don't know what world your at. xD I'd recommend getting to around level 50. Just grind the Hercules Cup a bit and you should be good to go. 

Well, the only boss I wouldn't want to spoil. But no worries -- he's dead, and I'm at the final boss. Also...

Platinum #118 - Chaos on Deponia

1L4ae22c.png

It turns out I was the chaos all along...

Wait. I already knew that.

• Like 3

Congrats on the double plat! I see you decided not to wait the couple of weeks to get the K for your alphabet soup. I'm going to be facing the same decision pretty soon I think. I have a feeling I'll be able to finish up Ratchet & Clank in the next week or so (maybe even this weekend) but I want to use that R for my word. Since it is only a few days, I think I can resist the temptation, however I usually have no patience as well for that.

You only have a few games left for camp and I'm assuming you're going to wait on Yomawari since you are double dipping that one...so what's up next? Crash is the only thing holding you back from that beautiful 100% again, but that's not a part of the event so I'm sure that's on hold as well. 

I think I'm going to be switching Dark Souls Remastered out of my Campfire game. Since I know I want to play them all back to back to back...I'm going to keep it for the Spelling Bee event and just make it my last game so that I can play all of Dark Souls for any Halloween event I may choose to do if there is one that I like. At the beginning of the event, I thought my list was pretty aggressive considering my playtime, however right now, I'm thinking I could actually do it! I was debating playing Batman Return to Arkham: Arkham Asylum and maneuvering my list around a bit, however I'm not sure...I may see what's on sale tomorrow with the announcement of the August PS+ lineup and go from there.

I'm enjoying Ratchet & Clank. The story is humorous enough and the game play is pretty fun. It's not very hard at all so far, but that's ok. I'm glad I picked it up for free a few months ago.

Just now, Briste said:

Congrats on the double plat! I see you decided not to wait the couple of weeks to get the K for your alphabet soup. I'm going to be facing the same decision pretty soon I think. I have a feeling I'll be able to finish up Ratchet & Clank in the next week or so (maybe even this weekend) but I want to use that R for my word. Since it is only a few days, I think I can resist the temptation, however I usually have no patience as well for that.

Yeah, it was a bit unintentional. I just wanted to see how hard the final boss would be at level 47. I also wanted to see where the "checkpoints" were. Like, the final boss has about a hundred different forms, so I wanted to see if it'd send me back to the beginning if I died, or just to the start of that form.

From what I could tell, it saves after the first, third, and at least the fifth form, because I died multiple times (mostly to the third form). But these aren't actual saves. If I turned off the game, I'd have to start all over again. Well, after finally beating the third form, there was no way I was stopping until he was dead.

For anybody considering playing the game, Proud Mode only took me about 20 hours, and it really wasn't that hard. Just level up on Destiny Island for a bit by defeating Riku. I stocked up on 99 potions that way, but never even came close to using all of them.

14 minutes ago, Briste said:

You only have a few games left for camp and I'm assuming you're going to wait on Yomawari since you are double dipping that one...so what's up next? Crash is the only thing holding you back from that beautiful 100% again, but that's not a part of the event so I'm sure that's on hold as well. 

I can't worry about Crash right now. I downloaded the new level (in case they make it un-free at some point), but I still gotta do four games in one month, and there's a very good chance I'll want to get an early start on KH:CoM.

Next up... Hm. Foul Play probably makes the most sense. It's a chipper game, so I could play through it once and then chip away at the remaining trophies while I play Pyre or Riptide GP2. Plus, it looks like the longest game I have left. (According to the guides, 10 hours for Riptide, 15 for Pyre, 20 for Yomawari, and 30 for Foul Play.)

26 minutes ago, Briste said:

I think I'm going to be switching Dark Souls Remastered out of my Campfire game. Since I know I want to play them all back to back to back...I'm going to keep it for the Spelling Bee event and just make it my last game so that I can play all of Dark Souls for any Halloween event I may choose to do if there is one that I like. At the beginning of the event, I thought my list was pretty aggressive considering my playtime, however right now, I'm thinking I could actually do it! I was debating playing Batman Return to Arkham: Arkham Asylum and maneuvering my list around a bit, however I'm not sure...I may see what's on sale tomorrow with the announcement of the August PS+ lineup and go from there.

I think Dark Souls is too perfect NOT to make your Campfire game. That's why I had to shuffle things up too.

The August lineup may affect my decision-making progress as well. I'm pretty much committed to the games for this event, but I'm open to another "K" game. There just really isn't much out there. King's Quest would be great, but there's no platinum. (*I* don't care about this, but the event prohibits games without a platinum from making the list.)

Honestly, I think I'm being too passive with my Spelling Bee games. With the exception of KH:CoM, I chose five games that aren't very long at all, and one of them is an overlap.

On the other hand, you know a Halloween event will be right around the corner, and I want to be prepared for that. I will not make this another RER year.

Ha, that rhymed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

And now for something simple and clean.

Platinum #119 - Kingdom Hearts

1L97d524.png

Great job! I just started the trophy list on this game. Here is my first trophy:

heartless.png

Yeah, I actually did the thing: Slaughtered 2000 Shadows in Destiny Islands before even fighting Darkside #2. xD On the plus side, Sora is now Level 18 and has a ton of great abilities which will make him a GAWD in the first few bosses of Proud Mode, which I am doing first to get the difficulty trophies out of the way so I won't kill myself in frustration doing the Unholy Trinity(Speedster, Unchanging Armor, Undefeated) in my second run. Great job.

Anyways, first I have to do something you might enjoy: Go through all of my old accounts, download all of the games that I like onto the PS4, and get the platinums in all of them so I can delete those old accounts and their libraries so I don't get tempted to create another account and plat the games an extra time. (Even if it does keep the libraries on their accounts, I won't be tempted to download the games I was smoking weed while buying, like Ginger: Beyond the Crystal and Cast of the Seven Godsends.)

I also have an alphabet soup list. I'll post it on my trophy checklist right now so you can all check it out. ;)

Edited by DragonQuest238
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Anyways, first I have to do something you might enjoy: Go through all of my old accounts, download all of the games that I like onto the PS4, and get the platinums in all of them so I can delete those old accounts and their libraries so I don't get tempted to create another account and plat the games an extra time. (Even if it does keep the libraries on their accounts, I won't be tempted to download the games I was smoking weed while buying, like Ginger: Beyond the Crystal and Cast of the Seven Godsends.)

CJ, is that you? Have you considered, like...just sticking with one account? It can't be fun platinuming the same games over and over again.

I mean, even I was getting bored with Dark Souls Remastered, and that's one of my favorite games of all-time. It just wasn't nearly as much fun as my first time through.

You don't even need to platinum the games you like. I like the Atelier series (for some reason), but I don't feel the need to play through them again, even though that could get me 10+ platinums and hundreds of hours of playtime. I would just rather move onto newer things.

• Like 2

Just now, Cassylvania said:

CJ, is that you? Have you considered, like...just sticking with one account? It can't be fun platinuming the same games over and over again.

I mean, even I was getting bored with Dark Souls Remastered, and that's one of my favorite games of all-time. It just wasn't nearly as much fun as my first time through.

You don't even need to platinum the games you like. I like the Atelier series (for some reason), but I don't feel the need to play through them again, even though that could get me 10+ platinums and hundreds of hours of playtime. I would just rather move onto newer things.

Maybe I should have bolded the important text on what I was saying...

First off, I am sticking to one account, that is why I am deleting the old accounts once I complete all of the games on their libraries that I like. And yes, while I do enjoy replaying some games, the trophy system sort of sucks the fun out of replaying them. (Which is why I will probably go with my Switch for a quick fix.) That is EXACTLY why I am doing what I am doing, so I can get rid of those libraries and not get tempted to play them again unless I want to do something like speedrun them, then I would have to buy them again and considering how my money goes, I can't afford to do that too often.

Yes, I don't need to platinum the games I like, but I have a very bad case of completionism which demands I do so. It's bad, I should move onto other things, so I am going to bury the demons of my past and get them out in the open so that better games(like Kingdom Hearts 3) will get proper trophy milestones.

Once all of those games I have decided to platinum are platinum, I will delete their library. Boom. Gone. Can never play it again, good riddance!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Yes, I don't need to platinum the games I like, but I have a very bad case of completionism which demands I do so. It's bad, I should move onto other things, so I am going to bury the demons of my past and get them out in the open so that better games(like Kingdom Hearts 3) will get proper trophy milestones.

You...do realize that "bury" and "out in the open" are opposite things, right? That'd be like if a recovering alcoholic decides to drink all the beer left in his house so that he's "free" of his vice. Surely you see the problem with this.

Either way, I hope you stick with this one (or just go back to CJ, which is the account we all enjoy the most), because we're getting too old to keep starting over all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cassylvania said:

You...do realize that "bury" and "out in the open" are opposite things, right? That'd be like if a recovering alcoholic decides to drink all the beer left in his house so that he's "free" of his vice. Surely you see the problem with this.

Oops. Sorry. I was trying to show how committed I was to this and didn't realize I was contradicting myself. :P

After several attempts to defend my case and failing, I decided to just agree with you that my plan is really really stupid and I should just delete all those accounts which I am not actively playing games from right now and get rid of the temptation to touch the bad games. There are some 'bad games' that I really enjoyed playing though so I will have to rethink the strategy. I mean, I did enjoy LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 quite a bit despite some of the trophies. Also, I am playing games from old libraries and don't want to repurchase them. (I have Kingdom Hearts 2.8 on a very old account and if I delete that account I had to repurchase Kingdom Hearts 2.8 again and it's expensive.) But I do intend to stick with my current account come hell or high water. :)

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 0:18 PM, Cassylvania said:

I think Dark Souls is too perfect NOT to make your Campfire game. That's why I had to shuffle things up too.

I agree with you 100% in theory which is why I switched it too. I just don't think I'll be able to get it done in time. I still have the rest of Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn, Shadow of War, Space Hulk and Super Meat Boy to finish for the event. I just can't see myself finishing that one in time. I suppose I could change some of the other ones, but when I played Dark Souls a couple of months ago, it took me about 85 hours to beat. I could probably cut down on that significantly since I'm familiar with the game now, but not enough where I think I could fit it in still. I think Ratchet & Clank has another week or so in it...Until Dawn looks like it will be about a week and Shadow of War will probably be about two weeks. Space Hulk could be any day since I think I could hit 40k kills at any moment and then the rest of my months Vita time will be dedicated to SMB. I could move Tales From the Borderlands back to campfire status since the whole game almost is a campfire story...but we'll see.

On 7/31/2018 at 0:18 PM, Cassylvania said:

The August lineup may affect my decision-making progress as well.

After looking at the lineup...it doesn't seem like it will help me decide on my R game...I'll see what the next big sale brings. I had to LOL at Space Hulk being on there. On the bright side, my trophy percentages should drop but what a garbage game to include on that list. I'll pick up Mafia 3 and Dead by Daylight (not sure I'll play this one though since it seems MP heavy) but I'm not overly excited about this months selection. Any of them tickle your fancy?

• Like 1