Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

baddog.PNG

I just slew the Devil Dawg... I mean, I finally got the Word Search by POWGI platinum about twenty minutes ago, timing it to come right after my LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 plat. Goodbye to those two titles and hello to another deleted old account very very soon. :D

I am going to platinum Phil's Adventure too but at least I can just AFK a bit and not have to focus on finding tiny pictures. I can just use the hints over and over if I need to do so. Anyways, making room for future projects(Dark Cloud, stuff on my Backlog Pyramid and Fall Backlog event) and maybe I'll go back to Dragon Quest XI someday. :)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jens said:

Nice, I actually want to see some screenshots of some of those infamous levels if it's not too big a hassle for you :P

Because I just read a review from my German go-to website and the only complaint was the absurd difficulty towards the end of the game. And that led into an interesting rabbit hole of a discussion regarding "should difficulty affect a game's rating because it's so objective?" :P They / He loved pretty much everything else, but dropped it down quite a bit just out of sheer frustration.

It's pretty difficult. I guess they have this thing called Assist Mode that makes the game ridiculously easy, but I'm going to do what I can without it.

So far, I've only died about 600 times.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Thank you! Just got the plat about an hour ago. Overall it was a fantastic game. It was very different from anything I'd ever played before but that just added to the enjoyment. I would've never picked up the game had it not been for your recommendation so thank you! 

Glad you liked it! If you have a Vita, you could play Night Alone too. That's probably the first game on my list if I ever pick one up...

Well, guess it's back to Celeste. I'll try to grab you some screenshots, @Jens. The only really hard part so far (besides the elevator shaft where I forgot Celeste Madeline can cling to walls) was the Pico-8 game. That last screen was a nightmare. Of course, I didn't know it was the last screen at the time, so I just assumed it was going to get harder from there... Hence, no screenshot.

Also, I'm down to 19 Philuzzles. I think we'll platinum Celeste, ICEY, and Adventure Time, and then go CRAZY with non-Halloween games to get my account back to 100%. I'm talking Crash, I'm talking P-Arch, I'm talking Minecraft, I'm talking Phil -- let's just get all that garbage out of the way so that we can play a few super spooky games in October.

How are your guys' games going? Anybody still trying to wrap up their word?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Glad you liked it! If you have a Vita, you could play Night Alone too. That's probably the first game on my list if I ever pick one up...

I plan on getting Night Alone the next time it goes on sale. I'm pretty sure I gave you a list of games I recommended on the Vita, so yes I own one. :P

Also, I know you're planning to finish all of the KH games but I don't believe you've joined my event for it so I'm just gonna link it here. :awesome:

Edited by Kent
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm talking Phil -- let's just get all that garbage out of the way so that we can play a few super spooky games in October.

I'm actually tearing through Phil right now. I've found a nice trick to speed up the puzzle solving, but only for the Vita version: If you tap the picture you are teleported to that part of the picture. You then have to tap the puzzle to warp your cursor to that part of the puzzle. I just mash the touch screen with the Smart Cursor to fill up the picture. I never realized that it would be that easy! I was mashing all along! :D

I also have a plan of attack to take that Philistine: I am going to clear all of the pictures where the map cursor is huge. That means that the puzzle is really small. Don't be fooled by the pages - the canvas they show are all disproportionate: I entered a puzzle which had a huge canvas and though it would take hours to complete but the map cursor was huge so it turns out that the puzzle grid is really small. I'll link some pics here if you want examples.

I'm going to try to earn a couple of trophies in Fill-A-Pix by clearing a couple of pages. I cleared two puzzles in Egypt which were really small. Thank you for the advice on how to clear those miscellaneous trophies, Cassy. Now I can focus on some really easy games like Jak II. (No, kidding, Jak II isn't easy, I just cheated and got all the trophies with the game's debug mode. :P)

Also, is it just me or does Phil's theme song sound a lot like that song I heard about walking 5000 miles The melody sounds the same at the beginning...

Edited by DragonQuest238

23 hours ago, Kent said:

I plan on getting Night Alone the next time it goes on sale. I'm pretty sure I gave you a list of games I recommended on the Vita, so yes I own one. :P

Also, I know you're planning to finish all of the KH games but I don't believe you've joined my event for it so I'm just gonna link it here. :awesome:

1. I knew you had a Vita because I checked your profile shortly after typing that sentence but I was too lazy to go back and change it and I couldn't think of anything else to say in its place so I just hoped you wouldn't acknowledge it and make me explain myself with a really long run-on sentence and now look what you made me do this is all your fault I take back my recommendation so there.
  2. I'll join your event...once I get back into the KH series. This Halloween event has really sidetracked me. I'm supposed to be playing KH:CoM, and instead I'm climbing mountains with Celeste and going on safaris with Phil. This was not how my fall was supposed to go! (Shoot me a reminder once I get back into it.)
19 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Also, is it just me or does Phil's theme song sound a lot like that song I heard about walking 5000 miles The melody sounds the same at the beginning...

Dear God, I hope you're not still playing with the music on. Phil is already killing my brain cells and eyes (presumably me too) -- I don't need him going after my ears too.

Okay, well, I beat Celeste. No screenshots because I don't feel they do the difficulty justice. What makes the game hard is how quickly you must react to certain situations. Madeline has a tendency to dash at an angle when you want her to go in a straight line, which is frustrating at times too. Still, really fun game. Assist Mode makes it a joke, so I suggest at least playing through the main campaign without it. The B-Side stages are pretty tough, though. I've been able to do some of the rooms without Assist Mode, but others require pixel perfect platforming. Fortunately, the rooms are short and there's no major penalty for dying, so I think this is an easier game than something like SMB. I'd obviously recommend it.

Down to 16 Philuzzles. No clue how you finished this garbage so quickly, @Jens. That much exposure to Phil all at once can't be healthy.

Browns football tonight. They were actually selling tickets for free online. I was going to go, but I couldn't even bribe someone to go with me. Now, I hope they lose, or I'll forever be known as that person who could've watched the Browns win their first game in almost two years but didn't because a date with Phil was too good to pass up. Whatever. Hope this asshole has beer in his fridge...

Oh, there it is. Right next to the dead body.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:
  1. I knew you had a Vita because I checked your profile shortly after typing that sentence but I was too lazy to go back and change it and I couldn't think of anything else to say in its place so I just hoped you wouldn't acknowledge it and make me explain myself with a really long run-on sentence and now look what you made me do this is all your fault I take back my recommendation so there.
  2. I'll join your event...once I get back into the KH series. This Halloween event has really sidetracked me. I'm supposed to be playing KH:CoM, and instead I'm climbing mountains with Celeste and going on safaris with Phil. This was not how my fall was supposed to go! (Shoot me a reminder once I get back into it.)

1. Sorry I couldn't help myself but since you answered with a run-on sentence reply I guess I have no other choice but to do the same and take back all of my Vita game recommendations since you took back your recommendation but you should really get a Vita soon because they're stopping development of them in Japan so the price for them will spike pretty soon. 

:awesome:

2. Alright, sounds good. You've played some pretty good games for the Halloween event so far (and equally as bad ones). I'm interested to hear your final thoughts on Celeste because that's a game I've been interested in for a while.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Dear God, I hope you're not still playing with the music on. Phil is already killing my brain cells and eyes (presumably me too) -- I don't need him going after my ears too.

Well sometimes. It doesn't bother me too much as long as I only do it a few times. I'm trying to get some more puzzles done, so I switched to Australia as half of the puzzles are small ones I can digest easily. I should get the trophy for that page soon enough.

1 hour ago, Jens said:

That's why I never want turn based RPGs to go away despite Squenix telling me for years that I'm supposed to hate them.

Hear hear. While I do like the fast action of the Kingdom Hearts series, sometimes you just need to play a game which you 100% in a day and forget about it, like I did with Deponia, I needed a game to be my 59th platinum. (Also, I am going through it, FreezeME and The Little Acre because once I get all of those games platinumed along with Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, I can delete my old NebbyLunala account and get rid of that smug Chou-Chou avatar forever. :P) Turn-based RPGs are also a great way to wind down after a day of slaughtering a zillion Heartless or what have you, and now that they are going to port the old Final Fantasy games to the Switch, I can enjoy them without worrying about having to date Barret in Gold Saucer(I preferred Yuffie as Cloud's date) for a trophy or having to dodge 200 f'king lightning bolts because I never use Lulu.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jens said:

I mean the game really isn't all that good, but it's good in one regard which I always appreciate. It's a fine coffee game. That's one of the first thoughts I had playing Dragon Quest XI. I am old and slow and sometimes I'm just at ease when I don't have to watch out for screeching Bloodborne demons or whatever and just relax, put the controller down and take a sip. That's why I never want turn based RPGs to go away despite Squenix telling me for years that I'm supposed to hate them. FTL is probably the best coffee game in existence (one of the few things I miss on my Steam profile), so if you look for games which a high sip/minute ratio this might be it.

By "coffee game," I assume you mean it's the equivalent of spilling hot coffee on your lap, because that's close to the pain I feel every time I start a Philuzzle.

If you want a much better relaxation game, I'd recommend Peggle 2. Very chill, but also very fun. Not a bad platinum either.

19 hours ago, Jens said:

I actually chalked that one up as a joke, but after some googling..... damn. Every German league in whatever sport has relegations, so I can't even imagine that scenario over here.

I know I sometimes exaggerate things for comedic effect, but I was actually being serious when I said it had been 89 platinums since their last win. But no more! Despite HORRIBLY stinking up the first half of the game, the Browns came back from a 14-point deficit to win the game in dramatic fashion, thanks to the strong arm of their rookie savior and quarterback, Baker Mayfield. And to think, I could've seen it in person...

Now the Browns fans are talking Super Bowl. They're getting as bad as Jets fans...

17 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Well sometimes. It doesn't bother me too much as long as I only do it a few times. I'm trying to get some more puzzles done, so I switched to Australia as half of the puzzles are small ones I can digest easily. I should get the trophy for that page soon enough.

Wow, you've gotten over 2000 trophies in three months. That's an insane amount of trophies per day. Even playing all the easy games I have lately, I've plateaued out at five trophies per day. No doubt that's going to plummet after October...

Anyway, I recently found out that a Castlevania re-release (SotN and Rondo of Blood) may make its way onto the PS4. Obviously, this is huge. I didn't think I'd ever get a Castlevania game on this account.

If it has trophies, we may have a new milestone to look out for...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Anyway, I recently found out that a Castlevania re-release (SotN and Rondo of Blood) may make its way onto the PS4. Obviously, this is huge. I didn't think I'd ever get a Castlevania game on this account.

If it has trophies, we may have a new milestone to look out for...

I remember completing SoTN back in the day when it was on Playstation 1, really great times. ^_^

Also, I heard from my local gamecast that Telltale is shutting down after massive layoffs. In other words, I think they've just gone bankrupt. No more easy platinums for you guys who love Telltale games! *celebrates* To be fair, I did platinum Tales from the Borderlands when it was on PS+, but I am not touching tha game or any Telltale title again.

3 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Also, I heard from my local gamecast that Telltale is shutting down after massive layoffs. In other words, I think they've just gone bankrupt. No more easy platinums for you guys who love Telltale games! *celebrates* To be fair, I did platinum Tales from the Borderlands when it was on PS+, but I am not touching tha game or any Telltale title again.

Still, that’s an entire company that is going to be gone, and some of the creative talents that were there who shared a passion and desire for making games will have to find another job. 

It always irks me that for every few people who share their feelings for a company closing down like this, there are those who simply don’t give a fuck. 

The problem with TellTale was their repetitive nature. But I guess after six years the format has already gone stale. 

However, given that Firewatch and Oxenfree were made by people who left TellTale, their inconsistency to release episodes on proper dates, and the stability problems with the first season of Batman, many of us who have followed them for the past year or so suspected that something was wrong. 

I find this sad because some of those people may have to settle for something less with another company. This happens a lot in business, people quit or get laid off and find they don’t have as many options as they did before. But it can go the other way too, like with the guys who made Firewatch. 

You can’t always get what you want. I was looking forward to a second season of The Wolf Among Us, since I enjoyed the first one. Looks like that will not happen, unless another company is going to buy the rights from TellTale and actually create a new season. 

Won’t be the same, because it’ll be a different company. 

Life is life.

• Like 2

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so insensitive. I know a lot of people enjoyed Telltale games and, in contrast to my previous post, I actually did enjoy the story in Tales of the Borderlands, especially the robot fighting part. :)

As atonement, if I gripe about one of my favorite companies shutting down, you have every right to mock me about it. :D

13 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so insensitive. I know a lot of people enjoyed Telltale games and, in contrast to my previous post, I actually did enjoy the story in Tales of the Borderlands, especially the robot fighting part. :)

As atonement, if I gripe about one of my favorite companies shutting down, you have every right to mock me about it. :D

I’m not the biggest fan of TellTale, if I was a big fan I would of gotten all the games and the stacks by now. 

Maybe TellTale would of held on if they changed their format a bit and release their games fully, rather than just issue out  episodes like they’ve done for six years. 

Hopefully their games will still be available on the Store for years to come. 

All those people have to find new work, and it’s not always easy. I’ve bounced from job to job before, and while some of those guys likely made more money than I’ll probably ever will in my lifetime, it sucks. 

Just have to find other companies, and hopefully people will latch onto them just like a lot of trophy hunters here latched on to TellTale. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 7:14 PM, Cassylvania said:

I wrapped up the story mode last night in Arkham. The hardest part for me on both of my times through this game was the Titan and all the thugs going up the caves where the elevators are. The space is just so small, I had to do that spot like fifteen times. All that's left is to clean up the Riddler and the Challenge mode. I'm hoping to wrap that up today :)

I started Yomawari: Night Alone the other night...I'm only into chapter 2...but it is freaking me out lol I don't know if I like it yet. It's really hard to see on the tiny screen so avoiding the ghosts is pretty challenging. It's got a very 'The Tell-Tale Heart' feel to it that is really neat though. The other thing that is making it hard is that I generally play Vita with the sound off while my wife is watching TV so it doesn't bother her. Can't really do that with this game so I have it up just enough to hear those things. Between the crickets and the heartbeat though, it is legitimately scary. I'm looking forward to Midnight Shadows since I'll be playing that on my regular TV.

The reason I was able to start Yomawari is that there was a Vita upgrade where I needed to restart my machine...which closed Space Hulk....with reset my kill count again...to keep my sanity I'm going to shelve that game for a while. I will beat that game at some point...but seriously fuck that game right now lol. On the bright side, I got Maggot Boy in SMB which leaves only three levels left to platinum.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:12 PM, Cassylvania said:

I'll join your event...once I get back into the KH series. This Halloween event has really sidetracked me. I'm supposed to be playing KH:CoM, and instead I'm climbing mountains with Celeste and going on safaris with Phil. This was not how my fall was supposed to go! (Shoot me a reminder once I get back into it.)

I'll have to look up this event too since I plan on doing this whole series after Soulsbourne is done. Dark Souls will be my last game for the Halloween event, then it will be that whole series and on to KH!

20 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I know I sometimes exaggerate things for comedic effect, but I was actually being serious when I said it had been 89 platinums since their last win. But no more! Despite HORRIBLY stinking up the first half of the game, the Browns came back from a 14-point deficit to win the game in dramatic fashion, thanks to the strong arm of their rookie savior and quarterback, Baker Mayfield. And to think, I could've seen it in person...

Now the Browns fans are talking Super Bowl. They're getting as bad as Jets fans...

That game was actually pretty fun to watch. Taylor looked pretty bad. He missed a ton of throws. I can't imagine they don't give Baker Mayfield the reins after how he looked the other night. He was accurate, he made good decisions and he was able to look past his first few progressions. It is really early, however I think the Browns made the right choice with the #1 pick this time. Darnold has looked ok so far, but he is much more conservative. That's too bad you didn't end up going...if Mayfield turns out to be anything...that would have been a cool ticket stub to hold onto. 

Vikings are down Cook this weekend, but fortunately you have the Bills on tap so I could probably line up in the backfield and you'd be ok. I'm taking them in my survival pool so they better not blow it lol Pats are the Sunday night game and I'm feeling much better about this match-up against the Lions (obviously) than last week. I'd love to see Josh Gordon turn into a Randy Moss type for the Patriots...but that is probably wishful thinking. Hopefully he can learn the playbook in between bong hits.

20 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

SotN was my favorite non-Final Fantasy game that came out for the Playstation. This would be marvelous if it happens!

11 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

No more easy platinums for you guys who love Telltale games! *celebrates* To be fair, I did platinum Tales from the Borderlands when it was on PS+, but I am not touching tha game or any Telltale title again.

To each their own, but this is kind of an odd statement from you considering the amount of 'easy' platinums you've taken advantage of. I mean, I personally don't care at all what other people have on their profiles since it doesn't effect me in any way. If someone wants to play My Name is Mayo for an easy plat...more power to them...it's not my money or time. But I just find it odd that you would celebrate a company's demise since they make 'easy' games when you seem to enjoy a lot of 'easy' games in your own right.

Personally, I'm sad since I generally enjoyed the stories. The games were somewhat nostalgic for me since they reminded me of the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books I used to read as a kid. There aren't a ton of places that make games like that and I think it is unfortunate that an entire genre of games just took a major hit. 

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

Hopefully their games will still be available on the Store for years to come. 

I'm hoping so since I'd still like to try some of their titles.

I've rattled on long enough...I should probably get back to work :)

Edited by Briste
  • Like 4

On 9/19/2018 at 7:14 PM, Cassylvania said:

I finished up the MAYUS challenge last weekend so it's back to my Halloween list for me. I'm currently cycling through Persona 5 (about halfway through), Batman: Return to Arkham Asylum (Just started it but I've gotten 100% on the game before so I should be able to speedrun it) and Burnout Paradise Remastered (Which I play whenever I want to chill and listen to some music). I also pre-ordered Hollow Knight the other day so that's another game added to the backlog. Too many games, not nearly enough time.

14 minutes ago, Briste said:

I wrapped up the story mode last night in Arkham. The hardest part for me on both of my times through this game was the Titan and all the thugs going up the caves where the elevators are. The space is just so small, I had to do that spot like fifteen times. All that's left is to clean up the Riddler and the Challenge mode. I'm hoping to wrap that up today :)

I'll have to look up this event too since I plan on doing this whole series after Soulsbourne is done. Dark Souls will be my last game for the Halloween event, then it will be that whole series and on to KH!

Congrats on wrapping the story mode up! It's one of my favorite games and I'm currently going through it again myself. I'm up to the part where you have to rescue the doctors which I always remember hating so I've been putting it off a bit. Good luck with the Riddler and Challenge mode. 

You already joined it...two months ago. :P

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

You already joined it...two months ago. :P

lol what a dink...I do remember that now...thanks for the reminder!

Congrats on wrapping the story mode up! It's one of my favorite games and I'm currently going through it again myself. I'm up to the part where you have to rescue the doctors which I always remember hating so I've been putting it off a bit. Good luck with the Riddler and Challenge mode.

It's funny...I thought the same thing too. I remember thinking the game was longer but I was able to motor through it pretty quickly. It was incredible how quickly what I needed to do came back to me. I remember hating saving the doctors as well, but it wasn't bad at all this time through. Thanks and good luck to you as well!

Edited by Briste

5 hours ago, Briste said:

To each their own, but this is kind of an odd statement from you considering the amount of 'easy' platinums you've taken advantage of. I mean, I personally don't care at all what other people have on their profiles since it doesn't effect me in any way. If someone wants to play My Name is Mayo for an easy plat...more power to them...it's not my money or time. But I just find it odd that you would celebrate a company's demise since they make 'easy' games when you seem to enjoy a lot of 'easy' games in your own right.

Personally, I'm sad since I generally enjoyed the stories. The games were somewhat nostalgic for me since they reminded me of the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books I used to read as a kid. There aren't a ton of places that make games like that and I think it is unfortunate that an entire genre of games just took a major hit. 

My Name is Mayo and the TellTale games are two completely different things. Mayo is almost exclusively bought for the platinum. Same for Orc Slayer and Slyde, which is the easiest platinum in existence. 

I don’t think anyone would bother with those games at all if not for trophies. Because quite frankly they are crap. 

TellTale is a different story. Sure they have easy platinums but the stories are what drove a lot of people in. The Wolf Among Us is probably my favorite TellTale and it ticks me off there will never be a Season 2. 

It sucks, but there’s nothing we can do. Hopefully someone else will pick up where they left off. The closest thing to TellTale are the point and clicks, but obviously most people aren’t going to bother finding a guide trying to get all those trophies. Since TellTale allowed you to gain trophies at ease just playing through the stories. 

Thankfully I bought Spider-Man and MLB the Show 18, and renting Deadpool from Gamefly. Plenty to keep me occupied.

• Like 2

Whether you like their games or not, no one should want to see a massive layoff like that. How many are actually prepared amd have enough on the side to keep going until another position presents itself. The ones I have played so far were good distraction games for something differant. The Stranger Things game sounded good and I did want to see how my choices from TWAU played out. I tossed the dude down the well. I may have to pick up a few more before they disappear from the store.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

As others have already pointed out, it surprises me that you out of all people would celebrate the closing down of Telltale. While, yes, their games had easy platinums, their games weren't ABOUT easy platinums. They were -- at least the ones I played -- wonderfully crafted choose-your-own-adventure type stories that just happened to have very straightforward trophy lists. Tales from the Borderlands and The Wolf Among Us are two contenders for my favorite game on the PS4, and I for one am extremely saddened by the fact that I'll never get to play a sequel to either of them.

My thoughts echo @Spaz's, so I won't say much more on the subject, but I do hope those who have been laid off find work somewhere else in the video game industry. There's a lot of garbage in today's market, and it was nice to have a company that could continually produce high-quality games for some of the biggest franchises out there. Imagine if they had gotten their hands on Star Wars or James Bond or Indiana Jones. Now, LEGO stands alone in that regard.

It was probably a doomed business model from the start -- and I guess I'm partly to blame, since I refuse to buy games until they're completed and on sale -- but I will always have respect for a company that doesn't take the easy way out when it comes to movie (and show)-based games.

Looking at you, LJN.

I started Yomawari: Night Alone the other night...I'm only into chapter 2...but it is freaking me out lol I don't know if I like it yet. It's really hard to see on the tiny screen so avoiding the ghosts is pretty challenging. It's got a very 'The Tell-Tale Heart' feel to it that is really neat though. The other thing that is making it hard is that I generally play Vita with the sound off while my wife is watching TV so it doesn't bother her. Can't really do that with this game so I have it up just enough to hear those things. Between the crickets and the heartbeat though, it is legitimately scary. I'm looking forward to Midnight Shadows since I'll be playing that on my regular TV.

Surprisingly unsettling, isn't it? I haven't played Night Alone, but from what you said, it sounds very much like Midnight Shadows.

Good job on Batboy and Meat Man!

That game was actually pretty fun to watch. Taylor looked pretty bad. He missed a ton of throws. I can't imagine they don't give Baker Mayfield the reins after how he looked the other night. He was accurate, he made good decisions and he was able to look past his first few progressions. It is really early, however I think the Browns made the right choice with the #1 pick this time. Darnold has looked ok so far, but he is much more conservative. That's too bad you didn't end up going...if Mayfield turns out to be anything...that would have been a cool ticket stub to hold onto.

I try to keep a record of the worst QB performances I've ever seen (Joe Webb in the playoffs, the MNF Josh Freeman debacle, some guy named Ryan Leaf), but boy oh boy... I almost grabbed a red marker, scribbled them all out, and wrote "TYROD" over the top. That was horrendous. I legitimately think Cleveland fans would've rioted if Mayfield was kept on the bench. And I love that the media is even entertaining the idea that Hue Jackson isn't sure who will start next week... If Taylor steps onto that field again, the Cuyahoga River might light up like it's 1969.

6 hours ago, Briste said:

Vikings are down Cook this weekend, but fortunately you have the Bills on tap so I could probably line up in the backfield and you'd be ok. I'm taking them in my survival pool so they better not blow it lol Pats are the Sunday night game and I'm feeling much better about this match-up against the Lions (obviously) than last week. I'd love to see Josh Gordon turn into a Randy Moss type for the Patriots...but that is probably wishful thinking. Hopefully he can learn the playbook in between bong hits.

?

If this was 2013, I'd say this is precisely the kind of game the Vikings would drop. I'm just not seeing it happen. If they win the turnover battle (and they should), they win by 20 points. It's that lopsided of a game. The Bills just look like they've already given up on the season, and that saddens me...because I actually feel for that team. I mean, not enough to want them to win. But maybe I'll go to Buffalo Wild Wings in their honor.

Mmm, B-Dubs...

39 minutes ago, Spaz said:

My Name is Mayo and the TellTale games are two completely different things. Mayo is almost exclusively bought for the platinum. Same for Orc Slayer and Slyde, which is the easiest platinum in existence. 

I don’t think anyone would bother with those games at all if not for trophies. Because quite frankly they are crap. 

You're probably right. I do hold Mayo in a slightly higher regard than the others you mentioned, because it's a pretty funny game that live streamers have played for non-achievement reasons, but not enough that I'd ever play it.

Telltale games, I'd play even if there were no trophies. I think I have four on my profile: the two I mentioned previously, Batman, and TWD season 1. I'm not really a Walking Dead fan (never saw the show), so I'm not sure I'll ever get to the others, but they were all good games. Maybe I'll even squeeze one in for Decidophobia...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Whether you like their games or not, no one should want to see a massive layoff like that. How many are actually prepared amd have enough on the side to keep going until another position presents itself. 

I feel absolutely terrible for the employees that have been laid off as a result of this, reading through some of their Twitter posts it's a real sad state of affairs.  They won't get severance pay, and because a lot were contractors, they won't be able to file for unemployment either.  They are based in the San Francisco Bay area and apparently a lot of employees were living paycheck to paycheck, one employee had only started at TellTale around a week ago and another had moved their family across the country to take a job there.

It does seem that other companies in the gaming industry are reaching out to these employees - ones I've seen so far have been Ubisoft, Epic and Blizzard.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Whether you like their games or not, no one should want to see a massive layoff like that. How many are actually prepared amd have enough on the side to keep going until another position presents itself. The ones I have played so far were good distraction games for something differant. The Stranger Things game sounded good and I did want to see how my choices from TWAU played out. I tossed the dude down the well. I may have to pick up a few more before they disappear from the store.  

Yeah that's the one thing I'm afraid of. Much of their later games are download only, which means you have to download those episodes from the Store.

I got Batman from Playstation Plus, still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Might as well pick up the second season and maybe grab season 2 and 3 of The Walking Dead. I really liked Clemente, she is the driving force behind the character development in those games.

Haven't decided on Minecraft or Guardians of the Galaxy.

25 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

As others have already pointed out, it surprises me that you out of all people would celebrate the closing down of Telltale. While, yes, their games had easy platinums, their games weren't ABOUT easy platinums. They were -- at least the ones I played -- wonderfully crafted choose-your-own-adventure type stories that just happened to have very straightforward trophy lists. Tales from the Borderlands and The Wolf Among Us are two contenders for my favorite game on the PS4, and I for one am extremely saddened by the fact that I'll never get to play a sequel to either of them.

I'm not the biggest fan of TellTale but from what I've played I really enjoyed them. The Wolf Among Us had a cool, suave laid back feel to it and Tales From the Borderlands of course was comical and quirky.

I wouldn't say people were about the easy platinums unless they decided to stack TellTale, which I refuse to do. Still, I'm both sad and upset there won't be a continuation to either game.

27 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

My thoughts echo @Spaz's, so I won't say much more on the subject, but I do hope those who have been laid off find work somewhere else in the video game industry. There's a lot of garbage in today's market, and it was nice to have a company that could continually produce high-quality games for some of the biggest franchises out there. Imagine if they had gotten their hands on Star Wars or James Bond or Indiana Jones. Now, LEGO stands alone in that regard.

It was probably a doomed business model from the start -- and I guess I'm partly to blame, since I refuse to buy games until they're completed and on sale -- but I will always have respect for a company that doesn't take the easy way out when it comes to movie (and show)-based games.

There's a lot of garbage simply because of things like Steam. Everything these days is done digitally, and thus with today's technology it's much quicker to whip up a short indie game than it was 10 - 20 years ago.

I was a Steam gamer for a long time before I got into trophy hunting, and the amount of crap on there is astounding. I have around 50 - 100 games or so I bought from sales that I never intend to play, because they're either crap or they are in a genre I'm not interested in.

It's a shame, but I think the real problem was TellTale refused to change their model much after The Walking Dead. To be frank I would much rather play a TellTale game than to play a point and click I don't enjoy very much, and force myself to use a guide just to get through it.

31 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Telltale games, I'd play even if there were no trophies. I think I have four on my profile: the two I mentioned previously, Batman, and TWD season 1. I'm not really a Walking Dead fan (never saw the show), so I'm not sure I'll ever get to the others, but they were all good games. Maybe I'll even squeeze one in for Decidophobia...

I never liked the show that much, I'm just not into horror television. But from what I've played I really enjoyed The Walking Dead.

If anything now's the chance to pick up those other games, before someone decides to delist them from the Store. Always pisses me off when games I wanted to get suddenly get delisted for no reason.

15 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

I feel absolutely terrible for the employees that have been laid off as a result of this, reading through some of their Twitter posts it's a real sad state of affairs.  They won't get severance pay, and because a lot were contractors, they won't be able to file for unemployment either.  They are based in the San Francisco Bay area and apparently a lot of employees were living paycheck to paycheck, one employee had only started at TellTale around a week ago and another had moved their family across the country to take a job there.

It does seem that other companies in the gaming industry are reaching out to these employees - ones I've seen so far have been Ubisoft, Epic and Blizzard.

I saw that earlier.

The problem now is the video game industry is a dog eat dog world. You can't expect to survive for long without making a good profit, and for TellTale they were losing profit. Poor working conditions are another thing I've heard being brought up by other people. It sucks, but it's too late now to change things.

You can be successful one year and completely bomb the next year, because that's simply the nature of the business. Sad to see TellTale go from The Walking Dead which gained great recognition and a lot of awards to being washed up.

For those two employees, I just hope they won't be on the streets begging for money. Life must be pretty hectic for them right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

As others have already pointed out, it surprises me that you out of all people would celebrate the closing down of Telltale

I really shouldn't have said anything, okay? In honesty, I wasn't feeling anything when I heard about Telltale shutting down. That was totally insensitive of me and I don't know how much I have to atone for that. :( I am not glad that the company shut down, I feel bad about the layoffs like I would if a bigger name shut down. It's just that other than Tales from the Borderlands(which as I said before I got because it was free on PS+ and I had few options), I did not play any of their games. I'm sure a lot of people are going to broil me over an open pitfire because I insulted their favorite game company and I... I'll shut up and drop the subject now. :(

3 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I really shouldn't have said anything, okay? In honesty, I wasn't feeling anything when I heard about Telltale shutting down. That was totally insensitive of me and I don't know how much I have to atone for that. :( I am not glad that the company shut down, I feel bad about the layoffs like I would if a bigger name shut down. It's just that other than Tales from the Borderlands(which as I said before I got because it was free on PS+ and I had few options), I did not play any of their games. I'm sure a lot of people are going to broil me over an open pitfire because I insulted their favorite game company and I... I'll shut up and drop the subject now. :(

It's cool. Just surprising, that's all.

I see @Spaz is playing my favorite PS3 game. How are you liking Spec Ops: The Line? If I ever get a PS3 again, that's the first game I'm going to play. Or a PS4 remaster. That would be even better.

Speaking of remasters, I heard Phoenix Wright is coming to PS4! How amazing is that? It almost offsets the news about Telltale.

Also, I'm nearly done with Celeste (just have the C-Side stages left to do) and I just began ICEY. And, yes, it's supposed to be capitalized like that. It bothers me just as much as it bothers you. I enjoyed the part where the narrator chastised me for caring more about trophies than story and gameplay, and then proceeded to give me trophies. More games need to be hypocrites like that.

Has anyone figured out my secret phrase yet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I wasn't trying to imply that there is anything in common about the games. I just found it ironic that someone that is sporting a grocery list of 'easy' platinums would be celebrating the fall of a company based on the fact they released 'easy' platinums. I would have thought these games were up his alley since they would be a way to boost his plat count. No skill involved; all it takes is a little time if you're looking for the platinum, which again I don't judge since it doesn't effect me. (Just want to say that I never know the right time to use effect and affect so I may be using the wrong one...)

Surprisingly unsettling, isn't it? I haven't played Night Alone, but from what you said, it sounds very much like Midnight Shadows.

Unsettling is a really good word for the game. I've started to explore a little more and I find the pebbles helpful. There aren't nearly as many ghosts as I would've expected (yet) so it makes it even more unsettling when they appear.

And I love that the media is even entertaining the idea that Hue Jackson isn't sure who will start next week... If Taylor steps onto that field again, the Cuyahoga River might light up like it's 1969.

It's not even just the media...Jackson has said he needs to look at the tape before he decides who will start next week...Not only would the Cuyahoga River light up...but Jackson should be fired on the spot if Mayfield isn't out there.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

But maybe I'll go to Buffalo Wild Wings in their honor.

This sounds like a great idea actually...I have one right down the street from me....hmmmm

1 hour ago, Mesopithecus said:

I'm with you here. I worked at a Casino for 8 years and saw several rounds of layoffs due to the market collapse in '08 and an over saturation in our market area and it was extremely upsetting every time...the layoffs always happened as we were rolling into the holiday season and it was never done with any kind of bedside manner. In one department, they had the entire crew in a room (it was about 30 people) and they called off 15 names and asked them to meet outside the office. After they left the room, the manager in the room told the remaining team members "those people no longer work here..." I was like how in the fuck can you be so cavalier about their jobs like that? They have families to feed and bills to pay. I'm happy to see that some of the other companies are reaching out here and I hope the people affected(?)...effected(?) land on their feet.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Yeah that's the one thing I'm afraid of. Much of their later games are download only, which means you have to download those episodes from the Store.

I got Batman from Playstation Plus, still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Might as well pick up the second season and maybe grab season 2 and 3 of The Walking Dead. I really liked Clemente, she is the driving force behind the character development in those games.

Haven't decided on Minecraft or Guardians of the Galaxy.

I actually bought The Wolf Among Us right after I saw the news since I don't want to miss out on that game. I really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and also really liked the soundtrack. If you've liked their other titles at all, it's worth picking up imo.

29 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I really shouldn't have said anything, okay? In honesty, I wasn't feeling anything when I heard about Telltale shutting down.

I wouldn't really worry about it too much dude...I would guess, based on your reaction, that you're pretty young and have maybe not experienced a sudden layoff situation so I would chalk it up to a live and learn scenario. I know we're on the internet here...but layoffs aren't ever really a 'lulz' situation so if everyone seemed harsh on your comments...that would be why. Don't dwell on it and move on my friend...tomorrow is another day and another Patriot's victory!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Don’t worry about it. Don’t let opposing opinions put you down. I was just surprised, considering I would think you would absolutely enjoy TellTale Games. 

I see @Spaz is playing my favorite PS3 game. How are you liking Spec Ops: The Line? If I ever get a PS3 again, that's the first game I'm going to play. Or a PS4 remaster. That would be even better.

I’m actually curious what you have on your old account Cassy. 

As for Spec Ops: The Line, one thing I have to say that’s pissing me off. FUBAR difficulty. 

Chapter 6 was a nightmare, got stuck there for a long time. And I still have to do Chapter 10, 13 and 14. 

Otherwise, this game is fairly easy. Hard difficulty was rough in a couple places, but nothing you can’t do after a few tries. 

Also you can just use PlayStation Now to play PS3 games on your PS4, but I can understand why people won’t/don’t use the service. 

Tell me how Celeste is. Thinking of picking it up. 

1 hour ago, Briste said:

I wasn't trying to imply that there is anything in common about the games. I just found it ironic that someone that is sporting a grocery list of 'easy' platinums would be celebrating the fall of a company based on the fact they released 'easy' platinums. I would have thought these games were up his alley since they would be a way to boost his plat count. No skill involved; all it takes is a little time if you're looking for the platinum, which again I don't judge since it doesn't effect me. (Just want to say that I never know the right time to use effect and affect so I may be using the wrong one...)

I see. 

I will always put games like Dead Space 2 and Vanquish above many other games. One for having Hardcore difficulty that only lets you save three times and can put you back two hours if you die. The other for having extremely difficult challenges. 

Skill based games like Super Meat Boy I will always have respect for. Still can’t pull off those last two no death runs. 

Easy platinums can can be relaxing, but I can see why they get very boring. 

1 hour ago, Briste said:

I'm with you here. I worked at a Casino for 8 years and saw several rounds of layoffs due to the market collapse in '08 and an over saturation in our market area and it was extremely upsetting every time...the layoffs always happened as we were rolling into the holiday season and it was never done with any kind of bedside manner. In one department, they had the entire crew in a room (it was about 30 people) and they called off 15 names and asked them to meet outside the office. After they left the room, the manager in the room told the remaining team members "those people no longer work here..." I was like how in the fuck can you be so cavalier about their jobs like that? They have families to feed and bills to pay. I'm happy to see that some of the other companies are reaching out here and I hope the people affected(?)...effected(?) land on their feet.

Damn, that’s rough. I wish all those former TellTale employees good luck, because they’re going to need it. 

I always thought casinos would do pretty well because a lot of their audience is older people who are retired and have money to burn. Or they just want to have some fun. 

What was your job there? 

1 hour ago, Briste said:

I actually bought The Wolf Among Us right after I saw the news since I don't want to miss out on that game. I really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and also really liked the soundtrack. If you've liked their other titles at all, it's worth picking up imo.

Tales From the Borderlands has the best music in my opinion. 

I’ll pick it up eventually, but first I have to play seasons 1 & 2 of Batman, my favorite superhero if anyone is wondering. 

I hate delistings. Really ticks me off, I think there’s a good 5 - 10 games I wanted to get that are delisted.

• Like 2