Critical Mode for first-time player?

So I'm about to start this game for the first time. I played KH1 on Final Mix difficulty, but I just finished Re CoM on Proud for Sora and Riku and I didn't struggle too much. I typically avoid multiple playthroughs whenever possible.

Is it doable for me to play Critical Mode initially in KH2, or would that be too stressful for me? I'm not necessarily going for the Platinum, but I like to do everything I can on a story run to move towards the Platinum, if it's not too nuts.

• Like 1

You can start the game on Critical without struggling too much and if you finish it then you can start an easy playthrough going for the 100% if you're aiming for the platinum, although I think it would be more comfortable starting on Easy mode.

Yes, you can essentially achieve the platinum in a single run through of the game. Though, most just play on Critical just to get it out of the way, then replay the game on Beginner to get everything else along with the outrageously long health bar. A bit overkill in my opinion, but that is me. To me, doing solely Critical mode for the story and beginner for the 100% is a huge waste of time as if you look at what you get while on Critical (during the beginning) and what you get during a Beginner run, for example, the trade-off is really...well, crap in comparison, end-game wise. Basically, your health is cut by what looks like 75%, but you regain all of it while just playing and finishing the game normally. You also get x3 Lucky Lucky for Sora which is EXTREMELY HELPFUL for drops, two from level progression and another from the mode itself. Plus, Dolan an Goffy get the ability and it stacks with Sora's, which is beyond amazing. 

Critical can be quite difficult if you do not plan ahead when it comes to level and ability progression. For instance, if you were to choose the Sword versus the Shield during the beginning of the game, then you won't get Second Chance and Once More until (very) much later on into the game, where if you choose the Shield, you would get these abilities sooner rather than later. These two abilities alone are your saving grace while playing on Critical as getting caught in a combo usually spells instant-KO otherwise. Also, to save yourself the frustration, pick the defense boost (+1) in the beginning, it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the beginning stages of the game, or you can go with the attack (+1) boost, your call. Defense is everything during Critical as most moves will kill you outright, if you do not have the proper gear equipped. To add-on to what I said earlier, most people go with Beginner (100%) due to the data battles, mainly, but I can assure you that they can be done on critical. 

• Like 4

On Critical Mode with the Shield and Defense boot, I just finished Hollow Bastion and I'm about to start the next world.

One other question came up. I noticed that there is no trophy for never using Continue here, like there was in KH1 and ReCOM. Is there any reason for me to avoid using Continue? If it doesn't affect trophies, can it affect the story? I don't want to miss out on secret endings or any cutscenes. I don't care about the ending scoreboard if it only affects my bragging rights and not any game content.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

On 8/28/2017 at 8:23 AM, starcrunch061 said:

I think you can continue whenever you want, without missing secret endings or cutscenes. 

Also, although it looks as if it has been settled, definitely play on easy mode for your 100%. I wanted to be cool and do it on Critical, and as my profile shows, I still lack the plat.

I hope you're right about using Continue, because I used it a bunch of times when I first hit The Land of Dragons. Those Assault Riders (with the huge spears) are no joke on Critical at level 10. Eventually I went back to Hollow Bastion to level up Drive Form to level 3 (getting another level or 2 in the process), and had much better luck. Guarding at the right time helps too. But man, that seemed like a huge jump in difficulty, going from HB to Land of Dragons.

I may well get stopped from getting to 100% completion on Critical, we'll see. I don't have any KH Platinums yet.

On 8/31/2017 at 3:28 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I hope you're right about using Continue, because I used it a bunch of times when I first hit The Land of Dragons. Those Assault Riders (with the huge spears) are no joke on Critical at level 10. Eventually I went back to Hollow Bastion to level up Drive Form to level 3 (getting another level or 2 in the process), and had much better luck. Guarding at the right time helps too. But man, that seemed like a huge jump in difficulty, going from HB to Land of Dragons.

I may well get stopped from getting to 100% completion on Critical, we'll see. I don't have any KH Platinums yet.

It is like I previously mentioned, you can just finish the story on critical, then do everything else on Beginner. Critical during the beginning is rough, but it gets easier as you get better abilities. Even the end-game is not as bad, but that is me. The important thing is you keep going, level when needed, and you will improve as you go.

You can get to level 99 easy once you get to the last world and use the Gull Wing keyblade method, and ultimately cheese the final boss. Oh and the Decisive Pumpkin keyblade is the best keyblade in the game in terms of damage potential due to the Combo Boost bonus. The Ultima keyblade is okay, but I never used it. 

Edited by x410xDragon
Typo's man, they be real.

• 2 weeks later...

That stupid Demyx (his second fight, in Hollow Bastion) is kicking my ass. And he says he's not a fighter...

I must have spent at least an hour retrying that fight yesterday, with no success. Hollow Bastion is full of enemies right now, so maybe I should grind some character/DriveForm/Summon levels before trying again.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, rokidoki8459 said:

How is the critical run going so far? If you need any help I can give you any. I just got the platinum using critical mode.

I forgot to come back with an update. I finished the story and did a few extra things on the way there. I did have to grind 10+ levels before defeating Roxas. He was a difficulty jump for me. I think I finished the game around level 90. I kind of doubt I will go for the Platinum though. After a little break I will probably jump into 358/2 HD and Birth by Sleep. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

• 2 weeks later...

for the final world I was level 55 and basically the best way to win is the have leaf bracer and once more on and second chance if you have that. then when you have used your magic and your health is at one use limit form. Your health and magic will be restored so you can go in for more damage.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the platinum in one run and, although I'm very proud of that feat, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The data bosses were REALLY strong and annoying (Xaldin I hate you) and I had to farm 30 defense boosts more or less, to make my life easier.

That was a very hard platinum.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I was afraid it would be to hard in the end but I think it was fairly manageable. The materials for boosting stats and all the other materials can be farmed during the level 99 grind, so for me it wasn't time I spend extra. Since the softcap is at 80 for the stats it is also not that much. The data fights are easier than you think with heavily abusing guard or reflega, limits, summons, drive forms, and some loop uses (Axel and Lingering Will). And the right equipment (some ribbons and full bloom+ are great), set of abilities and smart choice of shortcuts of course. The only one who gave me a headache were Xaldin, fuck this guy, I needed 10 to 20 tries for him because of his last phase, where I was just running and flying around like a chicken with no clue what to do :D . Everyone else was down in 1-5 tries max. Xemnas 2. form was kind of hard at first until I just spammed the Limit of him and Riku in the second fight. The last one I really did not like was the gambler, so easy to fuck up his last mini game.

• 7 months later...

I have only 3 datas more to go and I’ve already done the most difficult ones, all I can say is, if you have had a fine time through the story (which was easy and enjoyable, you actually do a lot of damage and end most battles rather sooner), then go for the plat, its not too bad, you just need a good strategy and careful thinking for mostly everything that is really hard (Hades Cup final rounds, Terra and Data Battles).

You dont need to farm stats and anything crazy, just be smart about your equipment and shortcuts and you will be fine (truth is you will need a lot of preparation and equipment changes through the whole plat). Bizkit has a great visual guide for the data battles and after some practice you will most definitely do them all easily in 1 day even.

If you had a terrible time on your critical playthrough then go for the beginner option I guess, though im doubtful it will make some things “easier” since in critical you do a lot of damage so the risk of having less mistakes is rewarded with great pacing making most fights not too long. Haven’t tried that difficulty though so its all guessing. 

Just typing this to encourage some players that like me were skeptical about this topic.

Just thought I’d throw my two cents in because I saw a bunch of people saying “it’s not that bad” and I couldn’t disagree more. Maybe if you’ve played a lot of KH it makes more sense to you, but for someone like me who is going through these games for the first time, I’m hating life trying to get through all of the optional bosses. So far I’ve been able to get past Lingering Will and Axel (data) by using exploits, and Sephiroth and a couple other of the data fights more or less “legit,” and that’s taken me about 10 hours. It sucks.

Does anyone have good methods for stat farming? I’ve found a couple of things online but nothing that seems very useful or straightforward. Most of my stats right now are around 70, and that’s using equipment to boost them up that high. 

Edited by ONUOsFan

• 4 weeks later...

One big tip I have for people struggling through superbosses on Critical - use Stitch.

Stitch will heal your MP (most of the time) so you can spam Reflega and even Curaga, and when you're hanging on to 1 HP because you just got combo'd, he will stun the boss and make them drop hp orbs so you don't even have to bother healing. Of course, you can only summon him when you have partners, but that's most fights and the others you can abuse Limit form anyway.

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:55 PM, ONUOsFan said:

Just thought I’d throw my two cents in because I saw a bunch of people saying “it’s not that bad” and I couldn’t disagree more. Maybe if you’ve played a lot of KH it makes more sense to you, but for someone like me who is going through these games for the first time, I’m hating life trying to get through all of the optional bosses. So far I’ve been able to get past Lingering Will and Axel (data) by using exploits, and Sephiroth and a couple other of the data fights more or less “legit,” and that’s taken me about 10 hours. It sucks.

Does anyone have good methods for stat farming? I’ve found a couple of things online but nothing that seems very useful or straightforward. Most of my stats right now are around 70, and that’s using equipment to boost them up that high. 

I know this is an old post for an even older thread, but I do agree with the sentiment here. Critical is pretty tough for a first-time player, because you don't know what's good and what's not. The limit form is a pain to level, but man - it pays the bills when you need to get rid of that last segment of HP on an O-13 fight. Reflect is so broken that I don't even use it anymore, but you would never know the first time you played how good it was.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

finished critical mode and did nearly everything else but the Data fight and Hades cup... holy cow.

I was grinding Saix for the def boost, but i am stuck at 67 power boost (attack) and the other Boss fights are so hard that i am thinking for restarting on easy to finish every trophy. 

Is it worth restarting or is there any boosting guide to follow ?

On 4/17/2023 at 9:54 AM, MrLadebalken said:

finished critical mode and did nearly everything else but the Data fight and Hades cup... holy cow.

I was grinding Saix for the def boost, but i am stuck at 67 power boost (attack) and the other Boss fights are so hard that i am thinking for restarting on easy to finish every trophy. 

Is it worth restarting or is there any boosting guide to follow ?

one thousand percent yes. I thought no way do i wanna redo the game from start on east, but lemme tell you, it's worth it. I cheesed every fight i could too! lol

• Like 1