NISA Apologizes for Poor Translation

On 10/11/2017 at 7:32 PM, ImplyingYouCare said:

No, I think you're misunderstanding what I wrote. What I'm saying is that I know how bad NISA is and I highly doubt they'll go that far to fix these problems since they've never once gone back to fix any of the major issues that they've created in the past. Their work is not high quality and even though they've been slammed by news sites in the past, they haven't fixed even the most simple complaints. If they never bothered to do any of that, then it's reasonable to doubt that they'll actually re-translate the game and re-record all of that voice acting for a free patch. That's a pretty time consuming and expensive fix, so it's more than likely not going to be fully realized. 

Actually, that's not entirely true. Their release of Disgaea PC was a complete mess (it was their first PC release), but they listened to complaints and released a number of patches to get the game running extremely well now, all things considered. Since that release their PC ports have been one of the better ones coming out of Japan compared to other companies (like Tecmo Koei, for example). We'll see if this retranslation follows that process or not.

1 hour ago, Arctic Cress said:

Actually, that's not entirely true. Their release of Disgaea PC was a complete mess (it was their first PC release), but they listened to complaints and released a number of patches to get the game running extremely well now, all things considered. Since that release their PC ports have been one of the better ones coming out of Japan compared to other companies (like Tecmo Koei, for example). We'll see if this retranslation follows that process or not.

Still patiently waiting for GOG versions of Disgaea 1 and 2 :D

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

LOL, the new translation (and with that the PC version) has been delayed to 2018. Told ya if XSEED was in charge of the localization nothing like that would've happened...

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/ys-viii-localization-fix-pc-version-delayed-early-2018

They're working really hard on that translation, believe me. xD

By the way, I often frequent gamefaqs to remind myself that this place is still better than most others. Amazingly, you can find someone who will defend anything about games. One guy there absolutely loves this translation.

Edited by starcrunch061

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2017 at 8:23 AM, Lance_87 said:

LOL, the new translation (and with that the PC version) has been delayed to 2018. Told ya if XSEED was in charge of the localization nothing like that would've happened...

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/ys-viii-localization-fix-pc-version-delayed-early-2018

A little bummed by the delay.   At least they have Durante helping with some graphic/performance issues on the PC one.

The translation that NISA used is tolerable, just surely not near XSEED's caliber.

On 03/11/2017 at 11:23 PM, Lance_87 said:

Xseed are too focused on their PC ports and keep using the same excuse "we are a small company"  if they were in charge of this game the release date would be 2020.

Even with the poor translation at times this game is amazing, Played the vita with the current translation and will play the PS4 version once the new translation is done.

20 hours ago, fisty123 said:

Xseed are too focused on their PC ports and keep using the same excuse "we are a small company"  if they were in charge of this game the release date would be 2020.

Yeah, it's good for the people who play PC I guess, but I couldn't care less about the PC ports. Sen III probably could be localized faster if they didn't waste time porting the first two games to PC.

The people who expect Xseed to localize every Falcom game are delusional. Sure, they have localized a lot of their games, but they're not the US branch of Falcom.

7 hours ago, nyonmyan said:

With dual audio being polished out, like always.

LOL

I wonder what the excuse will be if Sen III is dub-only? I don't really believe that is impossible for Xseed to have dual audio in Falcom games. Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII both had Japanese audio, and neither were localized by Xseed. Coincidence? Maybe. Currently, people are saying that it's because they're newer Falcom games. However, Tokyo Xanadu only came out one year later than Sen no Kiseki II (in Japan). Unless something drastically changed between 2014 and 2015, then it just seems like a bunch of bullshit to me.

9 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

But it would be more polished ON RELEASE.

Your point is? It's released with no Japanese audio and we wait an extra 2 years.
I don't mind English audio but the pain of waiting when so many companies are now releasing games within 3-12 months is rather annoying.

NIS release a game with dual audio, Xseed decide not to, if it was not for the dual; audio half the die hard Xseed fans would not even know that the translation was poor.
I have no issue with Xseed in fact I love their work but at times they need to put PC ports on hold or stop working on too many projects so games like this would be released under their name.

9 hours ago, nyonmyan said:

With dual audio being polished out, like always. I'd rather suffer through shitty translation than English dub.

I won't deny that the Trails of Cold Steel English dub was done rather nice but some games just don't live up to what they should. I know there was talk that a lot of is due to licensing as to why there is no Japanese audio but a lot of them release it as paid DLC to get around this.

1 hour ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Yeah, it's good for the people who play PC I guess, but I couldn't care less about the PC ports. Sen III probably could be localized faster if they didn't waste time porting the first two games to PC.

The people who expect Xseed to localize every Falcom game are delusional. Sure, they have localized a lot of their games, but they're not the US branch of Falcom

LOL

I wonder what the excuse will be if Sen III is dub-only? I don't really believe that is impossible for Xseed to have dual audio in Falcom games. Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII both had Japanese audio, and neither were localized by Xseed. Coincidence? Maybe. Currently, people are saying that it's because they're newer Falcom games. However, Tokyo Xanadu only came out one year later than Sen no Kiseki II (in Japan). Unless something drastically changed between 2014 and 2015, then it just seems like a bunch of bullshit to me.

I agree on the PC ports, if Xseed wants to keep doing PC ports they need to go from "we are a small team" to a normal size team so they can work on projects side by side. The way things are going Trails of Cold Steel IV and the PS4 ports of I & II (officially announced last week) will be out in Japan before Xseed even announce Trails of Cold Steel III let alone a release date.

As for the audio I did not mind the English audio of this game but you should still get to pick or at least release the Japanese audio as paid DLC. But their excuse will be that the first two games had no Japanese audio so we might as well follow suit.

The only good thing is Falcom last week said there is a focus to get more of their games released to the West, given the mess that NIS made, the speed of Xseed and Aksys Games picking only some titles this might mean Falcom may do a Idea Factory and make their own western translation team. It's only a theory but it might happen down the track.  

On 3/11/2017 at 9:25 AM, starcrunch061 said:

They're working really hard on that translation, believe me. xD

By the way, I often frequent gamefaqs to remind myself that this place is still better than most others. Amazingly, you can find someone who will defend anything about games. One guy there absolutely loves this translation.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that place. I used to be there everyday back on the 56k times because the site was so simple it loaded fast.

I sometimes go back and I always have some PMs regarding the savefiles I uploaded.

They still do have some good, simple and complete guides over there, though, but I always get to them from direct links or searches so I never see the main page.

Anyway, I just found out about this franchise. I bought this game but I'll wait for the translation patch to have the best possible experience.

Since we haven't heard anything from the Tales series for a while I've been looking for some other action RPG and this one looks pretty good =).

• 2 months later...