PS4 not compatible with any PS3 games, physical or digital

Undrey

In a roundtable conversation with journalists, President of Sony’s Worldwide Studios noted that PS3 games of both the retail and downloadable variety will not be compatible with PlayStation 4, at least not natively. In other words, your PS3 discs won’t work in the new console nor will the games you downloaded. This means that hits like Journey, The Unfinished Swan, Shatter and hundreds of other games available in the digital space will not be carried over to PlayStation 4 in addition to the collection of PS3 discs sitting on your shelf.

There’s a catch, though: emulation. The PlayStation 3 doesn’t read PlayStation 2 discs (at least not anymore), but it can play PS2 games via the PlayStation Store in an emulated environment. Yoshida concedes that this is possible for PlayStation 4 supporting legacy PlayStation consoles as well. Indeed, the Gaikai presentation during PlayStation 4’s reveal touched on this “everything, everywhere” mentality. But for now, downloaded PS3 games won’t work “unless, somehow, some games work on emulation. And the easiest thing, technically, would be to make PSone games work on PS4 with emulation. But we’re not talking about our emulation plans as yet.”

In short, “There are two ways [to play legacy content]: emulation or cloud services [from Gaikai]. But native support [of digital games from PS3], no, sorry. It doesn’t work.”

But how about some good news to close? Yoshida reaffirmed that “disc-based games on PS4” will work on any other PlayStation 4. So, as first reported yesterday, PS4 will have no used games/shared games lock for retail, store-bought titles.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-not-backwards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital-games

• Like 2

This makes since to me as Sony believes the PS3 will still have life with the PS4 out. This may restrict me from buying this system early due to not being able to sell my PS3.

Well, based on what I saw of the new smash hits for PS4, that will be available at launch, are also going to be released for PS3. Seems to affirm your presumption. I won't be an early buyer of the new console (I don't think) but, I will have it on my "Purchase after price drops" list. ;)

Well, based on what I saw of the new smash hits for PS4, that will be available at launch, are also going to be released for PS3. Seems to affirm your presumption. I won't be an early buyer of the new console (I don't think) but, I will have it on my "Purchase after price drops" list. ;)

Same here.

If you look at the predecessors, the PS1 had a few good years still when the PS2 came out. Same with the PS2, when the PS3 came out. Why wouldn't the PS3 have a good solid 2-3 years left when the PS4 comes out? I honestly think people that are complaining about no backward compatibility are overreacting. You folks willing to pay for the same price as the initial launch of the PS3 again?

• Like 1

This makes sense to me as Sony believes the PS3 will still have life with the PS4 out. This may restrict me from buying this system early due to not being able to sell my PS3.

Well, I'm certainly hoping that the PS3 is still going to have life even after the PS4 is out, as I only got my PS3 for christmas, so I've not had it long at all. On top of that, I can't imagine I will be buying the PS4 as soon as it comes out anyway. Just as long as games are still going to be made for the PS3 even after the PS4 comes out, then I will be happy.

Would you like a medal?

You are trolling buddy. If there is already a thread about this, the person that created it should be informed so they can lock it or a mod can see it and delete it. There is no point in having multiple threads on the same topic its a waste of space.

It's my intention to get a PS4 at release but that will really depend on initial price point. Regardless I will be keeping my PS3 so backwards compatibility doesn't concern me much if we are talking about disc based games. I'm a little more annoyed about the digital content however.

The 'end game goal' of the Gaikai service is that all games will be streamable. So I'm willing to wait a while for that to come to fruition. My only question will be what happens to the digital content I've already purchased (or given access to through PS+). Will I have to pay or repay to access that content on my PS4? That's the one area where I could see a big problem forming. For now though I guess we just have to wait and see.