PSA [EU]: Monster Hunter: World beta is available to pre-load

StrickenBiged

What it says in the title, basically. At least on a few pages on EU based stores such as UK, Norway and Germany so far (I checked the USA store but it doesn't seem to be up yet) the Monster Hunter: World beta is up and available to download now, so that you can get straight to hunting monsters when the beta goes live this weekend. 

The beta is scheduled to go live at 17:00 (GMT/UTC) on Saturday, 9 Dec, and run until 16:59 (GMT/UTC) on Tuesday, 12 Dec.

https://w2.countingdownto.com/2032131

Happy hunting.

EdIt: It seems to be rolling out across EU stores right now, so check back if it isn't there for you yet. 

2nd Edit: The beta is limited to those with an active PS+ subscription only. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
Seems to be rolling out across EU stores as we speak!
  • Like 3

Downloaded and just started it up to see how far it would boot before the start of the beta.

There are some messages about it being a beta, that it won't create a save file, etc. You can select languages for dialog and voice and there are three settings for PS4 Pro: prioritize resolution, prioritize framerate, prioritize graphics. After that, it's a "currently outside the trial period" message for now.

Impatiently rocking back and forth on the couch until "currently inside the trial period" is gooo! /o/

Mild spoilers for people who want to go in blind:

Spoiler

I've finished the first two solo hunts (out of three) and my first impression is that it's gonna be AMAZING. It looks fantastic, controls really well, feels triple-A level polished and it seems to be even more new player friendly than MH4U and Generations were (which I think is a very good think, the more players, the better).

The solo hunts are really easy so far, but I'm guessing the gear is a little overpowered for the demo. You can play around with all the weapon types, there are some different armor sets too. There's a bunch of items to use (potions, etc.) and whetstones, the BBQ spit, etc. have their own slots in the inventory now, which is nice. The BBQ spit still has the familiar song (just played differently), and roasting is waaay faster than it used to be. Also, the food looks friggin' MOUTH WATERING (check out the canteen at the camp).

I'm even more hyped for this game than I already was.

PS: The palicos look ADORABLE.

• Like 2

Alright fellows. I played all 3 missions now (first one solo and the last two multi). This game is a blast. I can't wait until next month to play it! I do hope the time at the end of the Hunt is adjusted because I couldn't get 3 carves in (I'm guessing they just lowered the time in the beta because you don't keep the stuff). 

Anyways, and this is petty, but I hate how the Switchaxe is the default weapon, because I'm a Switchaxe user since 3U lol. 

Played through all quests over the weekend. 

I really hope the full game has a detailed tutorial, because I spent most of my time confused. Other players were there jumping up on to the monsters heads and what have you, I couldn't find the jump button. 

Really hoping that I can customise the control scheme to a more "western" style. :circle: and :triangle: are not attack buttons, sorry to say. 

Having said that, the game looks great. And the dynamic monster system, where sudden monster-on-monster fights suddenly come out of nowhere was awesome. 

• Like 1

Spent a good amount of time in the beta over the last couple of days and killed Great Jaggras, Barroth, Jyuratodus, Anjanath, Rathalos and Diablos solo. I’ve still not run into the ever elusive Pukei Pukei that some people have reported finding in the beta just yet sadly. 

I wish we didn’t have to deal with the 20 minute time limit as it turns a lot of these hunts into DPS races which hurts some of the more movement centered weapons a bit unless you apply damage buffs like crazy. Heavy Bowgun feels somewhat overpowered in the beta due to how much high damage ammo you’re provided.

I’ve also gotten lost in the ancient forest a couple times. Nothing too bad but i’ve seen online teammates get lost for up to 10 minutes when fighting monsters that weren’t the quest target. Luckily this shouldn’t be an issue thanks to scoutflies in the full game.

Those beta-specific complaints aside i’ve been enjoying it a lot. Every single weapon in the game feels substantially better than in the last games and all the monsters in the demo were a joy to fight. 

Really looking forward to playing the game.

• Like 3

i played it with some friends, it was really fun and the maps looking so huge, i hope we get some variation in them, the controls where a bit strange in the beginning but they are good now.

oh yeah and inviting friends with a extra long name looks so old dated, lets hope in the full game you can like select your team members from your friendlist

1 hour ago, StrickenBiged said:

Played through all quests over the weekend. 

I really hope the full game has a detailed tutorial, because I spent most of my time confused. Other players were there jumping up on to the monsters heads and what have you, I couldn't find the jump button. 

Really hoping that I can customise the control scheme to a more "western" style. :circle: and :triangle: are not attack buttons, sorry to say. 

Having said that, the game looks great. And the dynamic monster system, where sudden monster-on-monster fights suddenly come out of nowhere was awesome. 

Same here.  I played with a friend who is super into the hunting style games and helped explain some things about this series. 

The way to jump onto a monster is if it's on a lower ground level and you hit the :cross: button as you near the edge above it.  That will initiate a jump which you can attack and begin the mount sequence.

I agree though, it plays well and looks great, but needs a tutorial of some sort (not just training) for people unfamiliar with the series. 

Oh, and I'm really hoping there isn't too much of chasing the monster around.  That made it feel like Evolve and brought back terrible memories. :/

Edited by daftprophet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Happy said:

I’ve also gotten lost in the ancient forest a couple times.

That's also my problem. It didn't feel good being lost for 2 minutes while my co-op partner is fighting the monster alone...

Overall, the size and everything feels too big for my tastes. That will get some accustoming. 

(Would be much better on Vita :awesome:

2 hours ago, daftprophet said:

Oh, and I'm really hoping there isn't too much of chasing the monster around.

Well... that's Monster Hunter for you =D The monsters aren't going to wait for you =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1