PlayStation Vita 2

nikolistary

• 2 weeks later...

One of Sony's mistakes with Vita is the cancellation of the PSP Passport program in North America.  In Japan you could put an app on your PSP to register your UMD games & get the PSN version for a discount.  I don't think mobile gaming killed Vita.  Playing games on a cell phone just isn't as good.

The overpricing of memory cards is one thing that I think really hurt it.  Vita 64 GB cards are $90-100 right now, while 64 GB mSDXC cards are closer to $25.  When Sony discontinues the Vita, then there are no new MCs.  Your MC fails and you can't find a new one?  You're screwed.  Maybe the system cost should have been $50-75 lower to start with.  The difference could've been made up on the game prices.  The $250-300 original SRP for a Vita was too close to what a PS3 cost at the time.

As much as I'd like a Vita 2, I'd sadly have to bet against Sony making a new portable.

Ok, first thing it needs to be successful is a better memory card system; microSD cards up to 2TB+. Sony needs to ask themselves if they want to make money from their card sale or from more gamers/user base down the road thats actually using their handheld.

Backwards emulation compatible!! to PS3/PSVITA digital games. IMAGINE THAT! Blew your mind right?....

With the Switch doing so well you can bet your butt that Microsoft and Sony are looking into some sort of handheld gaming again. My fear is that they will do it just as half heartedly as with the Vita and set themselves up for failure once more. A situation where they want to have it, just so they can say that they have it, rather than making something people truly want to go out and spend money on. And then when it fails, they will of course blame the consumer and not themselves.

On 24/12/2017 at 5:34 AM, Soufwar said:

Support for Dual Shock 4 and Dual Shock 3 so i can play it with a real controller, SD cards and none of that proprietary memory cards BS, real internal memory of at least 32GBs for the base model or 64GBs for an upgraded model. Total backwards compatibility with PS Vita games wise, social media capabilities like Twitter and Facebook apps...streaming services like Netflix and Youtube and music streaming like Spotify or SoundCloud, a real web browser and not that broken web browser thats on the PS Vita (because its very limited in what it can do and they have to have a good capable web browser), capability to play 1080p 60fps which means the console has to be powerful enough CPU and GPU wise, PS3 backwards compatibility would be a dream come true and have a few thousand games worth of library on day one, i also want an HDMI port so that i can plug the console to the TV and enjoy it just like the Switch, the ability to use the Vita 2 as a Dual Shock 3 or 4 to use as a second controller with PS3 and PS4 but please make it easier to connect to the consoles this time, also L2-L3-R2-R3 buttons have to be there now, PS Now support, PS Plus IGC support on day one, new IPs and exclusives for the platform...this is what i can think of now! 

What he said ^^^^

But also the only way i see Sony making a PS Vita 2 or some sort of successor is if they come up with the concept and all the things they want to include with community feedback included then do a 3D concept animation of the final product and put it up for preorder with a price tag and do it by the demand for the supply needed. This way they make money and slowly pump them out without too much loss. Then they would have to properly advertise the shit out of it and do PS4 with PSV 2 bundles or something similar to keep the interest until it is at the point of selling itself. 

Edited by DarkSoleride

If it is a handheld only device then it will fail.

I do not think Sony would go that way, it has to be a switch like concept. If somehow they can technically make all PS4 titles work (with the least possible limitations) when in portable mode it should do well. Imagine Playing HZD or GTA V on a handheld. ( no remote play does not count).

Outside hardware, a new handheld console by Sony should be able to draw people who are currently into mobile gaming (smartphone or tablets).

I've noticed that my nephews/nieces spend a lot of time on their phones/tablets and most of them are gaming when they're not on social media.

The key to success would be to provide enough added value over what the App Store and the Play Store offer in terms of games (free ou freemium ones), so that they can justify the need to buy a new system.

I'm obviously talking about games, here. It's an obvious statement, but we've seen in the recent years several systems fail because they couldn't get a lineup attractive enough to justify acquiring the system. The Vita and the Wii U are prime examples of this.

Also, they should extend/improve the Share features they've created for the PS4 to this system. I'm not receptive to this kind of feature, but I see a lot of people stream their games.

13 hours ago, DarkSoleride said:

What he said ^^^^

But also the only way i see Sony making a PS Vita 2 or some sort of successor is if they come up with the concept and all the things they want to include with community feedback included then do a 3D concept animation of the final product and put it up for preorder with a price tag and do it by the demand for the supply needed. This way they make money and slowly pump them out without too much loss. Then they would have to properly advertise the shit out of it and do PS4 with PSV 2 bundles or something similar to keep the interest until it is at the point of selling itself. 

I just thought of this, so the Xbox One X was made to directly support the biggest game engines in the market without the devs patching their games, if Sony can do that to make porting the iOS and Android games piss easy that the developers would be crazy not to that in a week or so, make sure the Vita 2 is tested with several game engines to support them technically, have a great easy UI, good quality control over what makes it on to the Vita 2 and not Life Of Black Tiger like titles, i said this and i say it again, add valued to the console by hosting Twitter, Facebook, Messenger and social media services and apps. All of that will help to sell the console.