Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

Finished another DLC episode!

L873cd8.png

L59e3d6.png

Less than two weeks until HITMAN 2, so I decided to do some more on the previous HITMAN. Basically, I just did the main missions once and I restarted them all for an extra trophy, but that still leaves me for each location with all opportunities except the one or two I already did, getting mastery through completing challenges, and doing at least one escalation contract to the fifth level (which also helps with the mastery).

On Sunday, I started on the remaining stuff for the Paris DLC, which I finished up yesterday. I also did the remaining stuff for the The Icon DLC but as it's bundled with A House Built On Sand (which I have done nothing out of yet) trophy-wise, it's not a 100%ed DLC yet.

I really enjoy the game having so many options to complete a contract. I waited for the game to be cheap because I figured I wouldn't make use of all that extra content, but I seem to be evolving to buying less new games for PS4 and instead just doing more in what I already have. HITMAN 2 will be the last big new game for PS4 I'll buy in a while, as I don't have any interest in Red Dead Redemption II (maybe some time, if it's cheap) with its Rockstar patented multiplayer catching whales schemes (seriously, would it kill them to just do a single player game with a cool physical collector's edition instead of laying all DLC and CE focus on stuff you can buy for the multiplayer?), and there doesn't seem to be anything else coming out that I want but can't get on the Switch with the same graphics.

@Paleblood I haven't updated my second first post on this yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think DLC 100% only counts for this event once ALL DLC has been 100%ed, and they don't count separately. Also, what would that mean for, say, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, where I'll play each DLC as it releases and thus will often get an "all" DLC 100%ed?

• Like 2

smu6ur.jpg

Finished the story line of Shadow of Tomb Raider. It is clear that Naughty Dog has raised the bar with Uncharted 4 to a level what Square Enix cannot reach. Nevertheless I really enjoyed the story and I loved the surroundings. They did a great job on that, so what is not so great than? Well for starters; the climbing. I died more from falling down than actually getting killed by enemies. Lara sometimes refuses to just grab the ledge, even when it is just in front of her. Secondly; the combat. Although there are not many enemy encounters they could have done better. Shooting from the hip is difficult and in one mission this is almost the only thing you can do to survive. I can now understand the lower scores this Tomb Raider got.

Trophy wise it is not too difficult, may be that is why SE did put so many trophy glitches in the game?? They have tackled most problems with the latest patch but nevertheless 3 trophies did glitch on me. I got them in the end, so all is fine. I need a little advise from you all; shall I go for the platinum? I do need to the collectibles and a a run on the highest difficulty. But some game mechanics are making this game more frustrating than needed...

In the meantime I count this game as completed which brings me up to 7 completed games.

Edited by gladiatorrrrrrr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kassandra said:

@Paleblood I haven't updated my second first post on this yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think DLC 100% only counts for this event once ALL DLC has been 100%ed, and they don't count separately. Also, what would that mean for, say, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, where I'll play each DLC as it releases and thus will often get an "all" DLC 100%ed?

I do it a little differently for myself. For story completion:

If the DLC is wothwhile, like it could be a standalone game (The Witcher 3 DLC's, Dishonored's DLC's, Bloodborne or Frozen Wilds etc...) I'll just take it as a regular point.

If it's just a few missions or extremly short like say, 400 Days form the Walking Dead Season 1, I'll just go with the all DLC partial points.

For me 'worthwhile' means something along the lines of 4 hours or more.

Trophies-wise I go with all DLC 100%. With Odyssey as an example you know there will be more than one DLC, so it's only one time truly at 100%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paleblood said:

I do it a little differently for myself. For story completion:

If the DLC is wothwhile, like it could be a standalone game (The Witcher 3 DLC's, Dishonored's DLC's, Bloodborne or Frozen Wilds etc...) I'll just take it as a regular point.

If it's just a few missions or extremly short like say, 400 Days form the Walking Dead Season 1, I'll just go with the all DLC partial points.

For me 'worthwhile' means something along the lines of 4 hours or more.

Trophies-wise I go with all DLC 100%. With Odyssey as an example you know there will be more than one DLC, so it's only one time truly at 100%.

Good to know. Well, all HITMAN DLCs will take more than four hours, but at the same time the game was released episodically so except for three bonus missions over two DLC packs, all of the DLC packs in this game are just part of the main game, with the base game really just being the tutorial.

Personally, for this event I haven't had to decide yet what I'd do. I guess I'd let it depend on what it is but I'd probably at most see all DLCs as one entity. We'll cross that bridge when we get there, at least for HITMAN it's clear that the DLC is one full game.

• Like 1

Since my last post I finished 2 games. That makes 16 finished games.

Burly Men at Sea: An easy 2 hour Platinum. The game itself is lame. You only do some choices and a few too easy puzzles.

Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr: Great game. The best WH40k game I played so far. It is a futuristic Diablo clone. Short fast paced missions. I finished the campaign after around 20h and I will clean up some trophies. But I won't go for the platinum. It would take at least another 30h and there is so much other stuff to play.

Unfortunately, I had a shopping spree and purchased some games. So now my new game score turned negative and I dropped down to -9 points.

original post

• Like 3

@Paleblood I currently have 37 games done from my backlog.

No real updates as such.

Have been playing Hollow Knight and Battle Chasers: Nightwar, both of which I have finished the main campaign for.

Have to slog through NG+ for Battle Chasers and the Pantheons and the Trial of the Fool for Hollow Knight. Both of which will be long efforts.

Also completed the story of Knack 2 with my other half, which was quite fun. Just have to collect all the gadgets and medals now to get anywhere with the trophies.

• Like 2

So it's been a while since I updated. And I kind of fell off not buying games, so...while I managed to finish a total of 16 games now, I've got 26 games since then. Part of it was birthday presents, but I'm counting them anyway since it feels a bit cheap not to count them despite adding them to the backlog. So I'm at a negative new game count. Gotta finish 68 games before I get back to zero.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to start doing trophy hunter mode too.

Edited by cerafinn
  • Like 4

So I've been trying to force myself to play guitar hero to finish it before the servers close but I think I might just give up on that. I don't get enough time to play these days to force myself to plat a game I just don't feel like playing right now haha. We will see if I change my mind bu i suspect that one will never be 100% done on my profile sadly.

Happier news I have been playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and it is just a joy to play. Nostalgia combined with a great game has been good fun!

• Like 4

Bought a game!

Ld6cee1.png

Night In The Woods is on a sale now, cheapest it's ever been on both PS4 (€14,50) and Switch (€11,40). Bought it on the Switch, since there's no graphical difference between the two in games like this and I like having my game collection portable.

This puts me at -1 games allowed to buy, but I'm not too worried. There's few to zero AAA games coming out soon that I'm interested in and I'm in the KYC event this month, meaning I expect to finish a whole bunch of stories.

I've heard good things about Night In The Woods, which is why I bought it. Excited to see if it's really as good as people say.

• Like 3

Finished the story, got the platinum!

L725045.png

See? First day of KYC and I'm already up by 1 1/3 points.

Esper was much shorter than I thought it would be, and less fun than I thought it would be.

I could be long about this but basically: if you have VR and love puzzle games, you can still ignore this one, at least until after you've played Statik, and then Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, and then I Expect You To Die.

• Like 2

9SXBFNf.jpg 

Got all of the items, beat all of the noise, got all of the secret reports, beat A New Day, and watched the secret ending. So, I'm calling The World Ends With You Final Remix completed. Because as fun as it sounds trying to master all of the pins, I'd rather not grind for another 300+ hours and turn off my Switch and literally wait for a month. Just turning it on once a day. 

Off to find something else to play so I can snag Smash when it comes out.

• Like 3

Finished the story!

I finished The Messenger, and it was amazing. Definitely my GOTY 2018, unles something crazy and unexpected happens.

It's a retro action platformer, with cool platforming, sweet boss fights, funny characters and an interesting story - you live in an 8-bit world and will eventually end up in a 16-bit future...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

looking at the Plus games of this month, are there any you will add to your list?

• Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition (PS4)
  • Yakuza: Kiwami (PS4)
  • Jackbox Party Pack 2 (PS3)
  • Arkedo Series (PS3)
  • Burly Men At Sea (PS Vita/PS4)
  • Roundabout (PS Vita/PS4)

Bulletstorm: played it on PS3 because it came with the console. I thought it was funny. Wouldn't buy the PS4 version, but since it's on PS+ I will probably replay it at some point.

Yakuza: played an earlier PS3 Yakuza title through PS+ and I absolutely loathed it.

Burly Men At Sea: will play it, it's extremely short though so even if I don't like it, at least it will be over quickly.

Roundabout: didn't check its trailer or anything, name didn't ring any bells, but I checked a bit of gameplay after @DamagingRob recommended the game in the PS+ thread, and now I'm at least going to give it a try.

• Like 1

Final-Fantasy-III.jpg 

Been trying to play through some of the older Final Fantasy games, because they've been recommended to me by a lot of people. I started with FFV and now FFIII. Now, I don't think these older RPGs are especially bad games overall for the time they first came out, but they are pretty dated, and hinge a LOT on player imagination to fill in the gaps. Which there isn't anything wrong with that, but it makes playing it as an adult kind of... boring. The plain story and directionless of everything keeps them just frustrating enough that it's annoying when I get lost, but not so bad that I stop playing. The ridiculous amount of grinding needed for III especially was just insane. I spend more than half of my total playtime just grinding. And it took me about 30 hours to beat the game. 

I guess I'm just not very into them because I didn't grow up with RPGs. I didn't start playing RPGs until the Dreamcast, and didn't really get into them until the PS2 era with stuff like Final Fantasy X and Tales of Symphonia. I was always more into action games and platformers in the NES/SNES generations. Stuff like Sonic, Mario, and Mega Man. So there's no nostalgia for old school RPGs like these old FF games.

Anyway, just one more old school FF game I promised I'd play through, and that's FFVI. I'm pretty far into it already, just haven't finished it. I'm not that into it either, but I promised people I'd play it, so that's what I'm doing. I'm going to finish up some other stuff first though. Like maybe I'll finally beat Ys Seven.

• Like 3

Finally back on the internets here in Indiana...definitely a big change from San Diego. But on topic, finished Ogden's story with Dragon Fantasy. I know that the game is short and there are four different stories, but I had a blast playing through Ogden's, the humor and spell names were on point even with the relatively shortness of the story. It has me looking forward to the second game (have to check my backlog if I have it) and continuing on with Ander's story.

Looks like everyone has been busy while I've been gone: @Asvinia you have to let me know how Vampyr is, I was on the fence with it when it was coming out, and the screenshots and gameplay I've seen haven't really swayed me on getting it.

• Like 3

Got 100% completion!

L873cd8.png

Turns out I'm into Hitman big time now, went about 100%ing the last game in preparation for the one releasing on Friday, so I figured the least I could do is write up a big review for it and share it across the events I'm in. Might give anyone who actually reads these also a perspective on how I'll look at the new game, and perhaps I'll convince anyone to try out the franchise.

I can't fully review Hitman before saying that I've tried the series a few times before. I tried what probably was the very first Hitman on PC, but couldn't get into the control scheme (this was in the days before the PC controllers existed). I've tried two more on X360, buying one and getting another through PS+, but I never got beyond the tutorial in either, just because I had other games to play first.

So, about a year and a half ago, I decided to try out the new Hitman game, HITMAN. I downloaded the free base game (tutorial) and liked it enough to decide I would buy the full game at some point, when my backlog was low. That point came early this year, when the complete edition was on a nice digital sale. Which, come to think of it, is the first time on PS4 that I've paid for a digital AAA game that could be bought physically as well. I guess now was the best time for me to step into the Hitman series, because 1) the better hardware makes the game have more possibilities, more NPCs, more stuff in general, and 2) the story right now seemed perfect to step in with, as I didn't feel like needing any extra info when playing this game and already noticed with the tutorial cutscenes that it seemed made for new time players. It's just like with Assassin's Creed; go on for too long and not only do fewer older players return, but you can't draw in new ones because they feel lost with the overarching story. Which is why Origins is a perfect step in point, with only a few things pointing to earlier games, and mostly as easter eggs.

I thought HITMAN was a great game. I'm not too good at full stealth games, but I coped, occasionally with lots of saving in between. There are "opportunities" in the game, kind of a bit of handholding to assassinate targets in one specific way out of the many possibilities, but in my first playthrough I wanted to figure stuff out on my own, only using opportunities when I stumbled across them. Basically, the game is about assassinating targets, with the occasional "get item" side target. You generally do this by incapacitating non-targets and taking their clothes as a disguise. A cook's uniform will get you kitchen access, but there will be a few other cooks who know you don't actually work there and who will see through your disguise.

HITMAN has a big hunk of content, with just playing through the main campaign once probably only taking you around ten hours, maybe less if you're good at it (or naturally if you use a guide), but that's just a small piece, with generally up to half a dozen opportunities per target and half a dozen additional challenges to kill them that are less straightforward than "snipe them and run away", which what I ended up doing a few times when I couldn't find anything better on my first run. And even though I'm not that good at stealth, I refuse to click on an opportunity in my first run, instead trying to figure out a solution on my own.

I love this game. I like trying to find out a good opportunity to get the kill without being noticed, I like the dark humour it has, and I like the varied settings, especially Sapienza. I can very much recommend it to others, and I am very excited to get my hands on the sequel next friday. That game can be just more of the same in different locations and I won't complain at all.

... And with that one third of a point for 100% completion, I've brought my balance for this event back to zero after buying Night In The Woods. Now on to playing more stuff!

On 04/11/2018 at 0:36 PM, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

That brings me up to 8 finished games, need one more to get 9 points which I could possibly spend on Black Friday. 1f607.png

Oooooooooh, good point. When is Black Friday? Last year I've bought stuff in great sales, mainly a PS4 Pro and a PSVR set.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Oooooooooh, good point. When is Black Friday? Last year I've bought stuff in great sales, mainly a PS4 Pro and a PSVR set.

it is always the fourth Friday of November, so this year 23 November

Good job on HITMAN! I always loved HITMAN but the episode thing didn't catch me. I bought the game but never got it finished. I didn't even put it on my backlog list. But after your review (good one!) I might re-think this.

I also saw a news flash that they requested PEGI ratings for Hitman Absolution and Hitman Blood Money. Two older games that might get a remastered. Loved those two as they had a real story.

• Like 1

L9b72c2.png

Finished all the scenario's and spent far longer than I'd like winning a battle with all the listed characters to get the platinum. It's not a bad game, just very repetitive. There's no story, just one game mode that it tells you play through 5 times. If I'd paid £30-£40 for this at release in 2009 I would've been pissed off. But since I paid £3 for it in 2018, it's okay. lol I've read somewhere that's it's probably the worst Dynasty Warriors game to start with, so I'm holding out higher hopes for the other games.

Vampyr and Little Dragon's Café arrived today though, so I'll be moving onto one of those next.

• Like 4