Is this game super hard to platinum?

AfiqMohd86

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can gather it's moderately difficult but nothing really hard. The rarity and whatnot comes from how hated the game is I believe. I want to give the game a go personally, I have a feeling it's over hated and people just jump the bandwagon for it, I can definitely see it probably was super disappointing for backers but as a game in isolation I imagine it'll probably be okay, a decent time passer for free.

EDIT: Having just played it my pre-judgement was very accurate. It's definitely overhated for its kickstarter drama, the game is good fun to be honest, pretty smooth controls, nice levels and bosses and interestingly wasn't all that difficult either as I predicted.

Rarity due to unpopularity and hate based on a high budget kickstarter project that didn't deliver but ultimately still came out with a decent game. If you're questioning playing this game, give it a fair shot, you won't regret it. 

Edited by JohnCenaSong-
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

It's a good game. To keep the interest, you can play as 9 different characters and change as much as you like between levels. The biggest challenge is #36, where you have to complete the entire game without losing a life... it takes about 1 hr 10 mins and that's with many instant-death areas. It will seem impossible at first... but with enough learning of the levels, it's very doable. There's one area in the third last level and another in the second last level that is a bit harder and will instantly kill you if you lack precision. Although nothing is especially hard and virtually any death is a given stupid, the two biggest challenges are playing for such a long period of time without being stupid and coping with the heavy pressure. Some areas require precision. 

Difficulty: 8/10

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a LOT of similarities between this and the Mega Man games, more specifically the PS1 - PS2 era Mega Mans as there is the same cheesy voice acting and corny storylines in Mighty No 9.

For people not interested in a game that tries to be like Mega Man or is not interested in old school side scrolling action, there are much better titles out there. Despite the bad reviews and all the negativity that surrounded this game, Mighty No 9 isn't completely terrible.

It's nothing great, and if I were to compare Mighty No 9 to Mega Man 11 I would pick Mega Man in a heartbeat. However since this game has been stuck on my backlog over the past couple years, I might as well play it to the fullest. Plus having another sub 1 percent platinum is always nice.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 07/07/2020 at 5:43 AM, Spaz said:

There's a LOT of similarities between this and the Mega Man games, more specifically the PS1 - PS2 era Mega Mans as there is the same cheesy voice acting and corny storylines in Mighty No 9.

For people not interested in a game that tries to be like Mega Man or is not interested in old school side scrolling action, there are much better titles out there. Despite the bad reviews and all the negativity that surrounded this game, Mighty No 9 isn't completely terrible.

It's nothing great, and if I were to compare Mighty No 9 to Mega Man 11 I would pick Mega Man in a heartbeat. However since this game has been stuck on my backlog over the past couple years, I might as well play it to the fullest. Plus having another sub 1 percent platinum is always nice.

I am actually enjoying this tbh, did you managed to get the platinum? I am pretty sure it will be harder for me than a 5 out 10, but being a beginner at games like this, so far it doesnt sound that bad, of course it will be get uglier on hyper, challenge 36 and boss rush, but i think it should be doable, at least i hope hehe

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

!MASSIVE RANT!

The people with BOTH platinums on PS4 and PS3 must be fucking masochists, because this is one of the most frustrating games I've played in quite a long time. 

The dude who rated this a 5/10 on PST.org for his guide is a fucking beast, tons of nail biting shmups under his belt. Check out his trophy account, it's insane. https://psnprofiles.com/ThanatosNinja2. Therefore, whoever this guy is, clearly must be a gaming god because I don't think the average person would rate this a 5 out of 10 in difficulty. Yes, you can bypass a lot of the stages by dashing, yes, there is a particular weapon that is overpowered, but neither of those matter when there are many instakill spots, some of which require very high precision to bypass.

This ThanatosNinja2 dude is active on the PST.org forums, and he messaged me once regarding me trying to enter a rarity leaderboard on that website, telling me I was ineligible and that 10 Second Ninja X, a notably hard platformer, wasn't even a candidate. That told me he was a elitist prick, just because you're better than most, doesn't mean you have to rub that into peoples fucking faces.

GarciaFever gave this game the same rating, yet doesn't have the platinum in either the PS4 and PS3 version. I honestly think the rules should be changed in regards to people writing trophy guides as they should complete them entirely prior to starting. GarciaFever is missing the trophy for beating the game on Hyper difficulty on the PS4 version of Mighty No 9, as well as beating all the challenges. On the PS3 version, he is only missing the trophy for beating the challenges. So does this game really deserve a 5 out of 10? I honestly don't think so.

This garners at least a 8 out of 10, due to a few things. First, you have to beat the game on Hyper difficulty, which is already very difficult because enemies make quick work of you. Normal difficulty was a struggle for me. Two, speed running the game. Now, if you're like me, this is probably going to force a lot of save scumming. If your run was a bit too slow you have to try again by redownloading your saves. Some stages are actually long, including Countershades stage, which can easily take up several minutes to get through. Third, the Boss Rush. It's hard as nails. Very easy to screw up. Fourth, Challenge 36. Thought the one hour speedrun was bad enough? Thought the Hyper difficulty was bad enough? You have to play thru the entire game without dying once, which is over a hour and as I mentioned, there are MANY instakill locations.

I'm already calling this harder than Max Payne 3. Mighty No 9 isn't a proper challenge, it's a frustrating experience made worse by the fact that Inafune, the man in charge of the whole thing, didn't really know what he was doing. He worked on the original Mega Man all those years ago, which may explain why Mighty No 9 puts on emphasis on score. But he didn't do that well. Mighty No 9 feels like a cheap imitator of the Mega Man franchise, rather than a spiritual successor. 

There's a big difference between challenging but fun and fair.... and challenging for all the wrong reasons. Max Payne 3 is the former, Mighty No 9 is the latter.

Aside from the development hell this game went thru that I'm sure EVERYONE here was heard about, the public relations for this was piss poor, headed by a authoritarian SJW named Dina who served as community manager for Mighty No 9 before she was finally let go. The Kickstarter project for this game was doomed from the get go, I guess it was fitting I picked this game up on PS Plus instead of paying money for it which I would of been fucking pissed if I did because Mighty No 9 is honestly NOT a very good game.

It's not the hardest game out there, like people here have said. But you're looking at a very frustrating experience if you're aiming to get all the trophies. With the number of instakill locations, a trophy that includes a challenge for beating the entire game without dying once, and having to speedrun it all given the poor game design, going for the platinum I imagine is just a massive headache.

Giving this a 5 out of 10 in difficulty, must mean the guy is very skilled at platformers or I'm just horrible at this game. Probably both, because I can't think of any sub 1 percent platinum that's only a 5 out of 10 difficulty wise. If you guys know of any, let me know.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

This ThanatosNinja2 dude is active on the PST.org forums, and he messaged me once regarding me trying to enter a rarity leaderboard on that website, telling me I was ineligible and that 10 Second Ninja X, a notably hard platformer, wasn't even a candidate. That told me he was a elitist prick, just because you're better than most, doesn't mean you have to rub that into peoples fucking faces.

I think you are mistaking here because that leaderboard isn't a rarity leaderboard but a skill based leaderboard. All the games that are allowed are based on ratings other people gave the website. He didn't deny that game because it was easy but because people votes weren't high enough. A lot of people wanted even harsher restrictions since it was suppose to be about hard as nail games but he allowed many more games to have it more accessible.

Edited by Danny_Johansen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

!MASSIVE RANT!

The people with BOTH platinums on PS4 and PS3 must be fucking masochists, because this is one of the most frustrating games I've played in quite a long time. 

The dude who rated this a 5/10 on PST.org for his guide is a fucking beast, tons of nail biting shmups under his belt. Check out his trophy account, it's insane. https://psnprofiles.com/ThanatosNinja2. Therefore, whoever this guy is, clearly must be a gaming god because I don't think the average person would rate this a 5 out of 10 in difficulty. Yes, you can bypass a lot of the stages by dashing, yes, there is a particular weapon that is overpowered, but neither of those matter when there are many instakill spots, some of which require very high precision to bypass.

GarciaFever gave this game the same rating, yet doesn't have the platinum in either the PS4 and PS3 version. I honestly think the rules should be changed in regards to people writing trophy guides as they should complete them entirely prior to starting. GarciaFever is missing the trophy for beating the game on Hyper difficulty on the PS4 version of Mighty No 9, as well as beating all the challenges. On the PS3 version, he is only missing the trophy for beating the challenges. So does this game really deserve a 5 out of 10? I honestly don't think so.

This garners at least a 8 out of 10, due to a few things. First, you have to beat the game on Hyper difficulty, which is already very difficult because enemies make quick work of you. Normal difficulty was a struggle for me. Two, speed running the game. Now, if you're like me, this is probably going to force a lot of save scumming. If your run was a bit too slow you have to try again by redownloading your saves. Some stages are actually long, including Countershades stage, which can easily take up several minutes to get through. Third, the Boss Rush. It's hard as nails. Very easy to screw up. Fourth, Challenge 36. Thought the one hour speedrun was bad enough? Thought the Hyper difficulty was bad enough? You have to play thru the entire game without dying once, which is over a hour and as I mentioned, there are MANY instakill locations.

I'm already calling this harder than Max Payne 3. Mighty No 9 isn't a proper challenge, it's a frustrating experience made worse by the fact that Inafune, the man in charge of the whole thing, didn't really know what he was doing. He worked on the original Mega Man all those years ago, which may explain why Mighty No 9 puts on emphasis on score. But he didn't do that well. Mighty No 9 feels like a cheap imitator of the Mega Man franchise, rather than a spiritual successor. 

There's a big difference between challenging but fun and fair.... and challenging for all the wrong reasons. Max Payne 3 is the former, Mighty No 9 is the latter.

Aside from the development hell this game went thru that I'm sure EVERYONE here was heard about, the public relations for this was piss poor, headed by a authoritarian SJW named Dina who served as community manager for Mighty No 9 before she was finally let go. The Kickstarter project for this game was doomed from the get go, I guess it was fitting I picked this game up on PS Plus instead of paying money for it which I would of been fucking pissed if I did because Mighty No 9 is honestly NOT a very good game.

It's not the hardest game out there, like people here have said. But you're looking at a very frustrating experience if you're aiming to get all the trophies. With the number of instakill locations, a trophy that includes a challenge for beating the entire game without dying once, and having to speedrun it all given the poor game design, going for the platinum I imagine is just a massive headache.

Giving this a 5 out of 10 in difficulty, must mean the guy is very skilled at platformers or I'm just horrible at this game. Probably both, because I can't think of any sub 1 percent platinum that's only a 5 out of 10 difficulty wise. If you guys know of any, let me know.

I have the Platinum for both the PS4 and PS3 version and I would rate the difficulty a 6 for PS4 and a 7 for the PS3. The PS3 boss rush was a nightmare at times lol. I surprisingly got challenge 36 done my first try on PS3. The game will eventually click for you and you'll know how to avoid all the cheap bullshit the game throws at you lol. I have nothing positive to say about the insta kill spikes in stage 10 though. (The stage where you and the other mighty numbers infiltrate a base) It's probably one of the most nerve-wracking moments in any game ever lol. One small mistake and your 50 or 40 minute run is just dead. 

Just stick with it AJ. I felt utterly defeated once I knew about the boss rush and challenge 36, but I kept at it despite how frustrating it was. If I can get the Platinum twice, then you can get yourself lol. Need I remind of what your rarest trophy is? You're great at platformers too. Mighty No.9 is just poorly designed lol.

Edited by Flubberwunked
Spelling rip
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Danny_Johansen said:

I think you are mistaking here because that leaderboard isn't a rarity leaderboard but a skill based leaderboard. All the games that are allowed are based on ratings other people gave the website. He didn't deny that game because it was easy but because people votes weren't high enough. A lot of people wanted even harsher restrictions since it was suppose to be about hard as nail games but he allowed many more games to have it more accessible.

I understood the thread he ran because he was in charge of it. I just think this guy is exceptionally good at games. Didn’t like the way I was treated on that thread over on the PST.org forums, so I gave up on it. 

Difficulty is subjective, we all know this. But I’ve always felt that trophy guides should be accounted for the average player, who may not be as skilled. I’m sure there are veterans of Mighty No 9 just like there are Mega Man veterans who can tackle the hardest challenges. 

Mighty No 9 definitely isn’t for casuals. I think if you have both stacks done, you are already a hardcore gamer. Thanatos made a very good guide on the game, but I definitely disagree with it being a 5 out of 10 in difficulty, due to factors I already mentioned.

• Like 2