Holy Potatoes, what is this and what are your thoughts?

I normally don't do threads like this, but I couldn't resist on something this. It's quite heavy on the stomach and will take some time to break down. My questions are what is this and what are your initial thoughts on something so... Spudtastic!?!

This game already has me buttered up with those trophies...

Star Wars reference

God of War reference

Several Music and pop culture references

Half Life 3 has also been confirmed according to the list

Take a look and seriously, I got a good laugh out of of this. Also, be aware that the platinum may be impossible! xD

• Like 2

Looks like it's a simulation game where you run a weapon shop, according to the game's description on Steam. Not sure if the release date on there is because it was Early Access or not, but I see that some big Youtubers covered it at the time. It looks fun and for the right price, I might look into purchasing it, but it'll probably release at something like $15 (its normal price on Steam).

You are correct, Akimitsu. I played it on Steam and it’s a great little simulation game where you assign orders to your potato smiths and explorers. You have no direct control over them, per se, but you can tell them what you’d like them to do. The story line is moved along by of quests assigned by guests who hear of your blacksmithing prowess and in order to successfully complete them, you must create specific weapons with specific stats. Each smith has his or her own stats that can be increased by training and those stats influence the weapons they make,

Tons of humor, as you can tell from the trophy list. Youll see familiar faces in potato form (Cloud from FFVII, GoW’s Kratos, Gladys and Chell from Portal 2, to name a few). 

Tldr: I’m totally getting this xD

• 3 weeks later...

Shameless plug here - I did a full in-depth review of the PS4 version on my site, here: http://www.gamepitt.co.uk/holy-potatoes-a-weapon-shop-ps4-review/

The game is great - it's super addictive but it does get pretty hard to manage things as the shop gets more crowded with staff and you're trying to manage your orders and customers. I'm at a point where I'm paying about 40k a month out for the staff so I have to make at least 60k in order to stay afloat. It's all rather exciting and fun.

If you've played Game Dev Tycoon - it's pretty much the same thing. Hire staff who are trained in different areas and then use them to create items with various stats to please different customers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turniplord said:

Shameless plug here - I did a full in-depth review of the PS4 version on my site, here: http://www.gamepitt.co.uk/holy-potatoes-a-weapon-shop-ps4-review/

The game is great - it's super addictive but it does get pretty hard to manage things as the shop gets more crowded with staff and you're trying to manage your orders and customers. I'm at a point where I'm paying about 40k a month out for the staff so I have to make at least 60k in order to stay afloat. It's all rather exciting and fun.

If you've played Game Dev Tycoon - it's pretty much the same thing. Hire staff who are trained in different areas and then use them to create items with various stats to please different customers. 

I've just read your review, which was very well written btw, and a got a question if you don't mind.

In your conclusion you mentioned that if you progress too fast in the game you can get stuck. Are you referring to your previously mentioned dilemma when you had to make a certain amount of money to actually be able to pay your workers or is there an actual flaw that leads to being stuck (e.g bug).

Also what do you think it's price tag? 15 bucks for another Tycoon clone seems pretty hefty to me:hmm:

3 hours ago, Sardavanua said:

I've just read your review, which was very well written btw, and a got a question if you don't mind.

In your conclusion you mentioned that if you progress too fast in the game you can get stuck. Are you referring to your previously mentioned dilemma when you had to make a certain amount of money to actually be able to pay your workers or is there an actual flaw that leads to being stuck (e.g bug).

Also what do you think it's price tag? 15 bucks for another Tycoon clone seems pretty hefty to me:hmm:

Hi, thanks!

yeah, I meant you can jump the gun and get ahead of yourself and progress the story before you’ve build up enough backup cash. If you go bankrupt 3 times then it’s game over. Tbh though, I’ve been playing for the last 6 hours or so and the game actually gets easier towards the end as you have more high level staff which can create more expensive gear. 

Its still challenging but you you don’t have to worry about money as much. Although I’ve just hired 2 more guys at 6k a month each, so I may start to get issues soon!

i think the price is worth it if you like games like this, like game dev tycoon. I’ve spent about 15-20 hours in this save so far. I know on how long to beat it says 9 hours for the story, but it’s took me way longer than that. I have been farming times for trophies though, so that might be why it’s taken longer. Plus you have the dlc to play which has 3 new areas too. 

The game Ames is super addictive though, I only put it on to finish up making a weapon before I played another review game... that was 6 hours ago tho :/

• Like 1