Card Collector trophy: Seems IMPOSSIBLE to get ALL random cards...???

HOW CAN WE GET IT? I am re-playing Witcher 3, re-doing the trophies in Complete Edition. I followed in detailed a Excel table of ALL cards!

Now after the end of the game, I play the expansions. When I play Gwent with someone (ALL MAPS BESIDES TOUSSAINT) for randomly earned cards (4 I dont have according to the info in the guide http://gwentcards.com/), I ALWAYS GET CRAFTING ITEMS from winning Gwent instead of a card.

I only get new cards in Toussaint since there is the new Skellige Deck in that region. IS THERE A BUG ON THIS TROPHY? IS IT LIKE A LOTTERY, just hoping to be VERY lucky for the random winnings????

If someone knows more info, please tell me.

Edited by CHARLIE79

Getting crafting items is usually a sign that you're already played them and won their cards, so maybe you've missed a merchant somwhere. I don't recall ever having to play the DLC maps to get my last cards.

Maybe you could list the cards you're missing so we can double-check that they're random? Other than that, make sure that you've played every merchant or gwent player.

The above posts are correct, if you start getting items instead of cards it means there is 2 possibilities. That you've either played them before or that you've gotten all random cards from random NPCs. You may of even forgot to purchase some from a certain vendor.

There is a great guide on this site on where every character is that you can face in order to get the cards.

Toussaint is strictly Skellige deck, you won't earn other cards in that region.

What cards don't you have?

3 hours ago, Meachamp- said:

The above posts are correct, if you start getting items instead of cards it means there is 2 possibilities. That you've either played them before or that you've gotten all random cards from random NPCs. You may of even forgot to purchase some from a certain vendor.

There is a great guide on this site on where every character is that you can face in order to get the cards.

Toussaint is strictly Skellige deck, you won't earn other cards in that region.

What cards don't you have?

Perhaps I did not explain well. I followed to the letter this site: http://gwentcards.com/ . They even made a download Excel version of the list, I ALWAYS had it besides me, putting a red color on the cards I obtained. MY ONLY CARDS MISSING are in the list below from the site, there Excel card list. I checked on http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Crone:_Weavess_(gwent_card) as well and ALL THIS cards are said on that site to be randomly urned... BUT EARNED BY WHO??? NPC who play give me craft items. A VERY frustrating trophy!!!

Deck Territory Card ATK Combat Type Card Abilities Type Location Location Character
Monsters Random Arachas Behemoth 6 Siege Muster Basic Win from NPC Randomly earned
Monsters Random Forktail 5 Melee None Basic Win from NPC Randomly earned
Monsters Random Frightener 5 Melee None Basic Win from NPC Randomly earned
Monsters Random Wyvern 2 Range None Basic Win from NPC Randomly earned
Nilfgaard Random Rotten Mangonel 3 Siege None Basic Win from NPC Randomly Earned
Scoia'tael Random Elven Skirmisher (2 of 3) 2 Range Muster Basic Win from NPC

Randomly earned

2 minutes ago, CHARLIE79 said:

Perhaps I did not explain well. I followed to the letter this site: http://gwentcards.com/ . They even made a download Excel version of the list, I ALWAYS had it besides me, putting a red color on the cards I obtained. MY ONLY CARDS MISSING are in the list below from the site, there Excel card list. I checked on http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Crone:_Weavess_(gwent_card) as well and ALL THIS cards are said on that site to be randomly urned... BUT EARNED BY WHO??? NPC who play give me craft items. A VERY frustrating trophy!!!

Deck Territory Card ATK Combat Type Card Abilities Type Location Location Character
Monsters Random Arachas Behemoth 6 Siege Muster Basic Win from NPC Randomly earned
Monsters Random Forktail 5 Melee None Basic Win from NPC Randomly earned
Monsters Random Frightener 5 Melee None Basic Win from NPC Randomly earned
Monsters Random Wyvern 2 Range None Basic Win from NPC Randomly earned
Nilfgaard Random Rotten Mangonel 3 Siege None Basic Win from NPC Randomly Earned
Scoia'tael Random Elven Skirmisher (2 of 3) 2 Range Muster Basic Win from NPC

Randomly earned

There was something I did whenever I didn't get the card I needed. I made a save before everyone I played and restarted if I didn't get it.

@ZireaelSan made a great point above me that some merchants need saving before you can speak to them.

I don't know how you haven't earned them though. When I followed the guide on this site.. I had all of the cards before I even played every single NPC. So I still had a lot to play even after.

You should try following the guide on here. If you're post game, everywhere should be open to you so I'd just go through the list and see what happens. Worst comes to worst you could always start it on a new save file but that's a last resort I'd say.

If you get items that means you already beat them in a gwent card game. i posted a map on the trophy guide comments off all the merchants so you could cross the ones out that you already beat but the author never added it to the guide and im not gonna make a guide myself for it. ANyway, i would jsut take that map if i were you and cross the ones out that you already beat.

This bronze collectible trophy is a God forsaken NIGHTMARE, one of the worst trophies ever for an otherwise outstanding game.  Gwent is a very fun card game, but as a trophy hunter you are so paranoid about the numerous missable story-related quest cards and the 50+ RNG cards from the merchants that it basically ruins any enjoyment due to the tedious and stressful grind. 

For the 50+ RNG cards, you must make a manual save before playing each and every new merchant you come across, then reload if you get a duplicate card.  There are definitely more merchants to play than the number of RNG cards you need, but not nearly as many as people claim in the forums.  I'd estimate maybe 8-10 extra chances at best. 

Be aware that the first time you play a new merchant, it is possible (not 100% confirmed) that whatever random card they are going to drop for you "locks in", and thereafter can only be received from that specific merchant and nobody else in the entire game.  My assumption is that reloading your manual save before you played them will avoid this issue.  I've read multiple threads elsewhere with people complaining about this problem, particularly for the Wyvern card from the Monster deck.  If you aren't reloading or making careful note of any merchants you can't beat with your early weak deck, then you could be stuck later making a world tour trying to find them again.  Also note there is at least one NPC merchant who disappears, the guy from Downwarren, and this is regardless of your choice during the quest related to his village.  Either make sure you beat him, or avoid him completely.  I lost over 15 hours of gameplay having to reload a much earlier save to get finally get the Wyvern card I needed from him.     

Have you been using the interactive maps at http://witcher3map.com/? I had played for 70 hours 2 years ago and recently came back to finish off the Plat with no idea which merchants I had played. When it came time to go after the remaining cards, I isolated the gwent players on the maps and went to each one checking if their dialogue option for gwent was grayed out. If it wasn't, I played them and got a random card I needed. If it was grayed out, I moved on to the next player on the map leaving a note reminding me I had played that person. I had to go through all of Skellige but the trophy popped after only a few players in Velen.

46 minutes ago, Narniak said:

There are definitely more merchants to play than the number of RNG cards you need, but not nearly as many as people claim in the forums.  I'd estimate maybe 8-10 extra chances at best. 

lol. Its almost twice as much. Even more if you have access to Tousaint. not 8-10. Check your facts before you make wild statements.

48 minutes ago, Narniak said:

Be aware that the first time you play a new merchant, it is possible (not 100% confirmed) that whatever random card they are going to drop for you "locks in", and thereafter can only be received from that specific merchant and nobody else in the entire game.

This is false also.

1 minute ago, Killbomb said:

When it came time to go after the remaining cards, I isolated the gwent players on the maps and went to each one checking if their dialogue option for gwent was grayed out. If it wasn't, I played them and got a random card I needed. If it was grayed out, I moved on to the next player on the map leaving a note reminding me I had played that person.

This isnt a good way of going at it. Greyed out just means you played against the NPC but not that you actually won.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gamesfourever said:

Greyed out just means you played against the NPC but not that you actually won.

True but I was fairly sure I had beaten everybody I played when I first played the game so I went with that strategy to try to save some time.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gamesfourever said:

lol. Its almost twice as much. Even more if you have access to Tousaint. not 8-10. Check your facts before you make wild statements.

This is false also.

There are NOT "almost twice as many" merchants to play as RNG cards needed.  That's we people have so much trouble with this damn trophy.  The vast majority of the merchants in the B&W DLC in Toussaint will drop the cards for the new Skellige deck and that associated quest/trophy for the DLC, so you are also wrong on that point.

As for the RNG cards "locking in" to specific merchants when you play them, I am not sure if that is the case.  It sure as Hell seemed like it was for me with the disappearing merchant in Downwarren.  Just an amazing coincidence that he happened to drop the Wyvern card I needed after reloading my old save, huh??

@Narniak Yes there are. i played the witcher 4 times and i had a map of all the merchants. i already had the achievement when i crossed out about half. and i never said toussant only drops from the standard decks. i just said the chance is higher. why are you getting so angry?

1 hour ago, gamesfourever said:

@Narniak Yes there are. i played the witcher 4 times and i had a map of all the merchants. i already had the achievement when i crossed out about half. and i never said toussant only drops from the standard decks. i just said the chance is higher. why are you getting so angry?

My apologies, stupid people like you make me angry.  All you have to do is look at the list of Gwent merchants in the link on this site to see that there are nowhere near "twice as many" as the 50+ RNG cards needed.  I'm done with you, you are not worth any further responses. 

I made a 40hr platinum speedrun guide from, cant remember exactly the results I found when testing the NPC card variables, but this is what I wrote in the guide, maybe means something;

Throughout each region are NPCs that will play you at Gwent. These range from anybody such as Merchants, Innkeepers, Blacksmiths etc, with a possible 51 Random Cards to win total. These are the Players that will reward you with your remaining 36 Cards.

You don't need to worry about who the Gwent players are because I will be listing them all for you. Once you have beaten one player and won their Card, move straight onto the next player, as only one Card can be won from each player. Although you need only 36 Cards, you will most likely have to win all 51 random Cards because you will acquire a lot of duplicates.

I think I remember that there is not many extra players, if you do NO not-platinum related SQs, think there is only a few extra NPCs. Anyway, as u play the NPCs and get the cards, u.always seem to acquire them in almost the same order

You CANNOT reload to get different cards, u HAVE to get duplicate cards in order to move on to next card in the pool. If u look around the net, u will find thantthe majority of people, always get the SAME card last (cant remember the name though)

You will HAVE TO battle 51 players until you acquire the 36 cards. There is no way around the duplicates

You could look up my speedrun if u wish and compare. I have about 55 players listed, all within close proximity with eachother in order to make if efficient

Edited by optimusmart
  • Like 1

A bit more info I dug from a post I put on a thread a few years back;

RANDOM GWENT PLAYERS

Thought this may help some, its a list of where all Random Gwent Players can be found, no Quest related Players are listed here.

This is also all done in a way so you can locate each 1 without a map/image so if you print this, you can find all Random Players with just the game in front of you.

Despite what many may have you believe, playing a Random Player and losing DOES NOT lock them into giving you a certain Card. I intentionally losed against 2 Players and also backed out of a Match during the Deck select screen. I then came back 50 Gwent Players later after I was receiving NO MORE CARDS, and these 3 Gwent Players gave me NOTHING.

Cards are also not region-based, I did Novigrad last. And from what I experienced, 2 Blacksmith Random Gwent Players in Skellige, DO NOT give you Cards as a Reward for some reason no matter when you play them. Maybe these 2 Blacksmiths are INTENTIONALLY supposed to give you Materials, because the other Gwent Players will give you ONLY Coins if you play them after winning their Card. However, the 2 Blacksmiths ALWAYS give you a random Material as well as Coins. They give you Rare Mats as well, I acquired a Amber Fragment during 1 game!

Throughout each region are NPCs that will play you at Gwent, these range from anybody such as Merchants, Innkeepers, allies etc. 

You don't need to worry about who the Random Gwent Players are because I will be listing them all for you. Once you have beaten 1 Player and won their Card, move straight onto the next Player as only 1 Card can be won from each Player. Although you need only 36 Cards, you will most likely have to win all 51 random Cards becuase you will acquire a lot of duplicates.

Sometimes a NPC will not be where they are supposed to be, normally meditating till 9:00am or
4:00pm will make them appear. Most will appear at 9:00, only 1 or 2 will appear late afternoon.

Lastly, not every single Random Gwent Player is listed here, there are 2 or 3 that you must complete a SQ or optional task during the Game which I didn't complete. What is listed here are only the Random Players you will face just by following the minimal steps towards Platinum. There is more than enough Players here for the Trophy, here are 61, out of that I think only 59 give you Cards so you have 8 spare Gwent Players

What I will do here is list all players in each Region in a order where the next Player is closeby. You should just go through the game winning Cards from the Players listed below;

SP = Signpost
Turn Minimap Rotation OFF
Only 51 random Cards

VELEN GWENT PLAYERS

CROW'S PERCH 
1. The Merchant (Trader), South 

2. Quartermaster, central 

3. Armorer' assistant (Fergus Graem), central,

4. Armorer (Yoana), central

CLAYWICH SP
5. Merchant, NW house

ORETON SP
6. Merchant (Trader), Northern most house

MIDCOPSE SP
7. Merchant, East in village 

8. Armorer, North in village 

BLACKBOUGH SP
9. Merchant, East in village

10. Blacksmith, SW in village

LINDENVALE SP 
11. Merchant, center in village

12. Blacksmith, North in village

NILFGAARDIAN CENTER GROUP ARMY CAMP SP
13. Quartermaster Eggebracht, South of SP, gave you WC before

HERBALIST'S HUT SP
14. Herbalist 

WESTERN GATE SP (Oxenfurt)
15. Blacksmith, SE in Town

16. Armorer, Just NE of central Innkeeper

17. Merchant, Just North of central Innkeeper

CUNNY OF THE GOOSE SP
18. Innkeeper

SEVEN CATS INN SP
19. Innkeeper

TRETOGOR GATE SP
20. Merchant (Elihal), building just slightly SE of SP

SOUTHERN GATE SP
21. Alchemist, there is a building directly North of you and directly East of the ST GREGORY'S BRIDGE SP, the building is just across the River outside of Novigrad. Inside the building is a Alchemist, although he is not shown on the Map, nor is his Gwent option highlighted, he will still reward a Card though. You may discover OXENFURT GATE SP as you make your way to him, if you don't discover this SP before, head S from the Alchemist's building afterwards and you will shortly find this SP.

SKELLIGE ISLES

SVORLAG SP (NW Island)
22. Innkeeper, South of SP

23. Merchant, SE of SP near the shore

24. Blacksmith, E of SP

URIALLA HARBOR SP (NE Island)
25. Blacksmith, NW of SP

26. Armorer, slightly SE of SP

27. Innkeeper, E of SP

LARVIK SP (E Island)
28. Armorer, W of SP

29. Merchant, just E of SP

30. Innkeeper, E of SP past Merchant

31. Blacksmith, E of SP past Innkeeper

HARVIKEN SP
32. Blacksmith, SW of SP

33. Innkeeper, SW of SP just past Blacksmith (meditate to late afternoon for him to appear)

HOLMSTEIN'S PORT SP (SW Main Island)
34. Merchant, N of SP

ARINBJORN SP 
35. Innkeeper, next to SP

36. Blacksmith, N of SP

FAYRLUND SP
37. Blacksmith, S of SP (NO CARD, GAVE ME MATS????)

38. Merchant, SE of SP

FYRESDAL SP
39. Blacksmith, S of SP, near coast (NO CARD, GAVE ME MATS????)

40. Merchant, S of SP near coast

BLANDARE SP
41. Merchant, E of SP

GEDYNEITH SP
42. Alchemist (Gremist), N of SP

KAER TROLDE HARBOR SO
43. Herbalist, E of the SP

44. Innkeeper (Jonas the Innkeep), N of the Herbalist

BRIDGE TO KAER TROLDE SP
45. Armorer, enter doorway West of SP, take door on your right to find Armorer

46. Blacksmith, next to Armorer

NOVIGRAD

ELECTOR'S SQUARE SP
47. Alchemist (Priest of eternal fire), just E of SP

HIERARCH SQUARE SP 
48. Book Merchant (Marcus T.K. Hodgson), just North of SP,

49. Merchant, head inside Kingfisher Inn just East of 48 Book Merchant above. Take North exit inside Inn and then head directly North, Merchant is just SE of ST GREGORY'S BRIDGE SP next to Barber and Notice Board. If you draw a line on the Map North of the HIERARCH SQUARE SP and another line East of OXENFURT GATE SP, this Merchant is where these 2 lines meet.

50. Innkeeper, Head East from 49 Merchant above, follow stairs down and shortly you will come to Nowhere Inn, Innkeeper is inside. If you draw a line North of the TRETOGOR GATE SP and another line East of the OXENFURT GATE SP, this Innkeeper can be found where these 2 lines meet.

51. Merchant, follow the path S beside where 50 Gwent Player was and then take a left at the end which will lead to the Merchant. Alternatively, warp to SOUTHERN GATE SP, head along the North path and follow the West path shortly after the bridge, carry on West and you will shortly encounter this Merchant along with the 54 Gwent Player.

52. Loan Shark, in the building just East of 51 Gwent Player.

TRETOGOR GATE SP
53. Merchant, head North straight along the bridge in front and this is the 1st Merchant on your left after the bridge.

GATE OF THE HIERARCH SP
54. Herbalist, head North to the Stash building, from here, head along the West path and you will shortly see a Herbalist Icon on the right, enter the house and beat him.

55. Merchant, after beating the 54 Gwent Player, continue West along the same path. Shortly you will see a Merchant Icon on the Minimap. This is the Merchant you want to play, you will have to knock on the door and enter the Hideout to reach him.

56. Merchant, from 55 Gwent Player, head North, you will shortly cross a bridge after which you will enter a small market area, this Merchant can be on a stall found in the NW corner.

57. Blacksmith, can be found in the same market area as 56, but in the NE corner.

58. Innkeeper, take the NW exit in the markets square where 56 & 57 were and continue West. The Innkeeper is in the large building in front.

59. Merchant, from the Inn, take the path on the Eastside of the Inn and follow this in a rough NW direction. You will shortly see a Merchant Icon on the left of the Minimap, this is the Merchant you want to play.

60. Merchant, can be found in a building just NE of 59, entrance to the building is on the Northside.

61. Blacksmith, can be found next to the 1st building SE of 60 on the Northside.

EDIT;

Just remembered, that Wyvern card you haven't got, thats usually the one everybody gets last. The card pool isnt as random as its made out, the game just rewards them in a rough order

And they are not randomly earned like that site makes out, that site obviously didn't do any testing. Basically I think I remember at any one time, there are 3 cards in the pool, so savescumming a NPC is not really efficient. Each time you acquire one, another card is added, bringing that pool back to 3. It's random what you will get from each player because it's not based on that, the cards you receive depend on how many gwent players you have won from so far.

So, for the 6th player at skellige, I may get the DRAKE CARD for example, you may play your 6th player at Novigrad and get the exact same card. John may play his 6th player in Velen and get the DRAKE CARD also. It's not the players that determines the cards, it's how many you have acquired so far, some players are fixed to give just materials, so just move on to another player

As I said further up, there are 51 cards to be aqcuired from random players but only 36 are needed. BUT, you will likely have to win all 51 cards because the card pool will not reroll until the next lot until the ones before have been acquired. Think I remember you can save scum slightly, but it didnt really work and wasted more time than just playing all 51 anyway

That guide you used doesn't even list the random Gwent players locations so not great to be honest, and as I said earlier, the cards are NOT randomly earned as it makes out. I say with 100% certainty that if you win cards from 51 NPC gwent players, then you will have all 36 NPC cards. And I can also say with perhaps about 75% certainty, that if I listed all those 51 cards and the order I acquired them, you would acquire them all in almost the exact same order, no matter who you played and when

Edited by optimusmart
  • Like 2

THANK YOU for ALL the information many of you have given me in a short time. I did not expect this fast result because even Witcher 3, its a 3 year old game lol.

If I understand correctly from many info of my question, the guide on PSN profiles is very thin on info for the Card collector trophy (besides info on side quest missable cards). I fought at first simply play the same NPC to get the random cards I dont have, but that did not work.

I need to play with NPC's I never played with (Qwent option is still white written, grey written means you played them), THEY should give me my missing cards or a card I already have.

I would appreciate if some people could tell me if I NOW understand correctly how to get them. Am I right ?????

16 hours ago, Killbomb said:

Have you been using the interactive maps at http://witcher3map.com/? I had played for 70 hours 2 years ago and recently came back to finish off the Plat with no idea which merchants I had played. When it came time to go after the remaining cards, I isolated the gwent players on the maps and went to each one checking if their dialogue option for gwent was grayed out. If it wasn't, I played them and got a random card I needed. If it was grayed out, I moved on to the next player on the map leaving a note reminding me I had played that person. I had to go through all of Skellige but the trophy popped after only a few players in Velen.

Thank you to Killbomb that gave me this great site that REALLY shows well where the cards players are (and everything else in the game lol).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CHARLIE79 said:

THANK YOU for ALL the information many of you have given me in a short time. I did not expect this fast result because even Witcher 3, its a 3 year old game lol.

If I understand correctly from many info of my question, the guide on PSN profiles is very thin on info for the Card collector trophy (besides info on side quest missable cards). I fought at first simply play the same NPC to get the random cards I dont have, but that did not work.

I need to play with NPC's I never played with (Qwent option is still white written, grey written means you played them), THEY should give me my missing cards or a card I already have.

I would appreciate if some people could tell me if I NOW understand correctly how to get them. Am I right ?????

Thank you to Killbomb that gave me this great site that REALLY shows well where the cards players are (and everything else in the game lol).

If you're sure you've beaten everyone you've ever played before then yeah, that's the best way to go about it. Start in Skellige since there's less ground to cover and work your way through each player using the maps on that site. Add a note to each player's location on the map as you go to help keep track of what you've done.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE that gave me more info, answers! FINALLY I just got that irritating trophy!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hope my topic here I created could help other trophy hunters for the BEST GAME OF THIS GENERATION, THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT!!!

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I just received this trophy yesterday, I finally got around to play this awesome game...that trophy was a lot of work LOL, but I followed the guide on this website:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/12/19/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-every-gwent-card-collect-em-all/

I saw the guide on the site you mentioned (gwentcards.com), but it seemed too complicated...more so intimidating. The above website makes it pretty simple and

quite bearable to complete the Collect'em all Quest

• 1 month later...

It’s easy to get sidetracked going for this trophy. 

Make sure you play against every merchant NPC who offers a game of Gwent. 

Also be extra careful with the missable Gwent cards. One of the quests gives you an option to give away a few cards, offer to keep them instead. 

• 1 year later...

Very late to this party, but I do want to mention that sometimes, completely new games against merchants will reward you with crafting items. This happened to be about 5 times as I hunted down the remaining Gwent cards in my new playthrough. I was pretty worried about it, but as everyone said that the merchant cards were unmissable, I persevered, and sure enough, I got the trophy with two merchants remaining.

• Like 1