Spyro 2 and Year of the Dragon not on Reignited Trilogy disc

MidnightDragon

On 8/3/2018 at 4:41 AM, madbuk said:

The problem is that that patch isn't always going to be available. I can go and put my Spyro 1, 2 and 3 discs into my PS3 and play them, and I will be able to forever. Disc rot could get to them, but disc rot isn't much of a problem these days. When PSN eventually goes down, and it will, just like XBL and Steam wont be eternal either, Spyro 2 and 3 remastered will be lost forever. You're stuck with one third of the content you purchased with no way to remedy that. I mean I'll probably be dead before that happens, but it's a shame for the future generations to be robbed of these classics, and they're just going to start missing out on more and more as this becomes common practice.

I never saw the real appeal of playing PS1/PS2 classics on my PS3. Plus I think only the first generation PS3 console was able to do this, which everything afterwards has not been backwards compatible.

You can apply this to movies and music as well. Much of my DVD/Blu-ray collection is in fact movies, video games are just a mere fraction of that. Music sadly has gone virtually all digital with hardly anything physical tied to the medium anymore. I used to spend a great deal of time burning music albums to iTunes and other music platforms but these days it's much more economical and practical to have a Spotify playlist in your hand.

Digital can completely crash in music too, not just video games. Then there's the fact that the Netflix library has had a great deal of movies and tv shows completely delisted for what I think are licensing issues and the licenses themselves expiring.

That DVD you bought back in 2002 will still be there. The glorified rental you bought on the internet back in 2012, not so much. These websites can pull that product you bought on the internet and you have absolutely no way of retrieving it. Unless of course you file share, pirate, and illegally download.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:41 PM, madbuk said:

The problem is that that patch isn't always going to be available. I can go and put my Spyro 1, 2 and 3 discs into my PS3 and play them, and I will be able to forever. Disc rot could get to them, but disc rot isn't much of a problem these days. When PSN eventually goes down, and it will, just like XBL and Steam wont be eternal either, Spyro 2 and 3 remastered will be lost forever. You're stuck with one third of the content you purchased with no way to remedy that. I mean I'll probably be dead before that happens, but it's a shame for the future generations to be robbed of these classics, and they're just going to start missing out on more and more as this becomes common practice.

If it's any consolation: by the time PSN, XBL, and Steam do go down, future generations either won't care about Spyro at all or bought one of the many more re-releases.

On 8/2/2018 at 1:10 PM, DoucetDudes said:

People still buy physical games?

lol

I do, because when I am finished with it I can sell it for pretty much all my money back and buy more things

lol

That's what happens if you wait for sales instead of just buying it right away, you get it cheap enough to resell it and make back at least 90% of what you paid for it...can't do that with digital. 

12 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

If it's any consolation: by the time PSN, XBL, and Steam do go down, future generations either won't care about Spyro at all or bought one of the many more re-releases.

Exactly. It will be no different than any other game that gets discontinued. 

Also if you already buy it and download it (or add to your library) even if it gets discontinued it will still be in your library (like Silent Hill PT). 

So this really isn't that big of a deal. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 2:28 PM, Elvick_ said:

So? You don't know what the future holds. If they ever get to a point where upholding those download lists prevents PSN from progressing, they'll kill it. That's why MS shut down the original Xbox Live on the OG Xbox. And along with it every single bit of DLC on there was gone forever, even for those who bought them. Because they wanted to improve Xbox Live for 360 and couldn't do so with the Xbox holding it back.

Companies don't give a shit about us. Digital purchases do not belong to us. They can rip them away at a moments notice. People are putting too much trust into corporations to "do the right thing". Which is ironic given the subject we're in where a company is selling a "retail" copy what requires digital content downloads to use more than half of the "retail" copy. Certainly worth trusting companies with our content. They never do anything bad. Nope.

I don't know why you're complaining about that to me, I never said we should put our trust into companies whose main objective is to make money. I just think it's foolish people complain so much about this, when a lot of people will move on, or even sell the game, after platting it. The ones that really like the game just don't have to delete it and they can still play the game.

38 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I never saw the real appeal of playing PS1/PS2 classics on my PS3. Plus I think only the first generation PS3 console was able to do this, which everything afterwards has not been backwards compatible.

You can apply this to movies and music as well. Much of my DVD/Blu-ray collection is in fact movies, video games are just a mere fraction of that. Music sadly has gone virtually all digital with hardly anything physical tied to the medium anymore. I used to spend a great deal of time burning music albums to iTunes and other music platforms but these days it's much more economical and practical to have a Spotify playlist in your hand.

Digital can completely crash in music too, not just video games. Then there's the fact that the Netflix library has had a great deal of movies and tv shows completely delisted for what I think are licensing issues and the licenses themselves expiring.

That DVD you bought back in 2002 will still be there. The glorified rental you bought on the internet back in 2012, not so much. These websites can pull that product you bought on the internet and you have absolutely no way of retrieving it. Unless of course you file share, pirate, and illegally download.

All PS3s are compatible with PS1 discs, only the first fat PS3 can play PS2 discs.

51 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I do, because when I am finished with it I can sell it for pretty much all my money back and buy more things

lol

That's what happens if you wait for sales instead of just buying it right away, you get it cheap enough to resell it and make back at least 90% of what you paid for it...can't do that with digital. 

Exactly. It will be no different than any other game that gets discontinued. 

Also if you already buy it and download it (or add to your library) even if it gets discontinued it will still be in your library (like Silent Hill PT). 

So this really isn't that big of a deal. 

You do realise that even though PT still shows up in people's libraries you can't actually download it anymore? This is exactly the worry people have with this downloading Spyro 2 and 3 situation. 

@Dragon-Archon

Saying future generations won't be interested in Spyro, you are talking about a remake of a 20 year old series which blatantly shows proof that people will have an interest in it.

Edited by Martain2

10 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

@Dragon-Archon

Saying future generations won't be interested in Spyro, you are talking about a remake of a 20 year old series which blatantly shows proof that people will have an interest in it.

Good job taking that out of context. If you take a look at madbuk's post he also mentions this:

When PSN eventually goes down, and it will, just like XBL and Steam wont be eternal either, Spyro 2 and 3 remastered will be lost forever. You're stuck with one third of the content you purchased with no way to remedy that. I mean I'll probably be dead before that happens, but it's a shame for the future generations to be robbed of these classics, and they're just going to start missing out on more and more as this becomes common practice.

That is what I replied to. I also said it's a possibility and another one was they'll buy a future re-release, but that was conveniently left out too.

On 02/08/2018 at 2:09 PM, Crzy Minus said:

Why not release the game on multiple disks? Remember when games used to do that? If the game was too big to fit on the disk (or it’s a collection of games in one) there would be an extra disk with the other half of the game.

exactly. megaman just did this. 2 collections on 2 discs. they easily could have all fit on 1 I'm sure. same with spyro...

7 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Good job taking that out of context. If you take a look at madbuk's post he also mentions this:

That is what I replied to. I also said it's a possibility and another one was they'll buy a future re-release, but that was conveniently left out too.

Fair enough, I acknowledge that I missed putting possibility in my post however this re-release you refer to, do you mean a re-release of this current collection with everything on the disc or yet another remake down the line? If the former why is it seemingly unreasonable to expect that to be the case now?

as much as all signs point to 2 and 3 being downloaded, if the off chance it's on disk but they require huge update first and everyone taken it out of context, I would grab a physical. BUT I'm gonna wait for others to find out lol.

besides I still have a ton of better games in Sept to keep me busy and I picked up octopath for switch. 

25 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

You do realise that even though PT still shows up in people's libraries you can't actually download it anymore? This is exactly the worry people have with this downloading Spyro 2 and 3 situation. 

@Dragon-Archon

Oh really? I didn't know. Anything I own that has been delisted I can still download. 

But then again not that many games get delisted so I don't have that many to begin with. I think it is really just 1 set of LBP dlc.

Honestly (and I am being serious here) how many games do people own that have actually been delisted and are unavailable to download? 

1 minute ago, Martain2 said:

Fair enough, I acknowledge that I missed putting possibility in my post however this re-release you refer to, do you mean a re-release of this current collection with everything on the disc or yet another remake down the line? If the former why is it seemingly unreasonable to expect that to be the case now?

I was referring to a future re-release after this one, as that seems to be a good cash cow for companies.

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Oh really? I didn't know. Anything I own that has been delisted I can still download. 

But then again not that many games get delisted so I don't have that many to begin with. I think it is really just 1 set of LBP dlc.

Honestly (and I am being serious here) how many games do people own that have actually been delisted and are unavailable to download? 

Yep, there was quite an uproar when Konami not just delisted PT but removed the ability to download it even if you had previously done so, this is a rare (maybe one of) case compared to other companies removing content however, as I said on a previous post, I see no reason to 'accept' a situation that helps out the publisher (one as big as Activision at least) whilst only adding inconvenience, minor or not, to the user just to save the corporate folks some money. 

4 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I don't know why you're complaining about that to me, I never said we should put our trust into companies whose main objective is to make money. I just think it's foolish people complain so much about this, when a lot of people will move on, or even sell the game, after platting it. The ones that really like the game just don't have to delete it and they can still play the game.

You don't know why... And then you further argue in favor of digital, "Just never uninstall a game!". Such a mystery. Why would I ever say those things to you. I just can't imagine. The world may never known.

4 hours ago, Martain2 said:

Yep, there was quite an uproar when Konami not just delisted PT but removed the ability to download it even if you had previously done so, this is a rare (maybe one of) case compared to other companies removing content however, as I said on a previous post, I see no reason to 'accept' a situation that helps out the publisher (one as big as Activision at least) whilst only adding inconvenience, minor or not, to the user just to save the corporate folks some money. 

Just fyi in case you didn't know, there is a workaround for ppl who have it on their dl list but deleted it

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-18-theres-a-slightly-fiddly-way-to-re-download-p-t

35 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

You don't know why... And then you further argue in favor of digital, "Just never uninstall a game!". Such a mystery. Why would I ever say those things to you. I just can't imagine. The world may never known.

Yeah, to me it's a real mystery why you're preaching to the choir.

Is that what your problem is: that I argue in favour of digital? If so, you should take a look at this post. Besides, even if I was all for digital, that shouldn't matter in the slightest. And yeah, if a content is digital only and people are so worried about the patch being unavailable at some point, it stands to reason that not deleting Spyro 2 and Year of the Dragon is the best solution bar a physical release.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

1 minute ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Yeah, to me it's a real mystery why you're preaching to the choir.

Is that what your problem is: that I argue in favour of digital? If so, you should take a look at this post. And yeah, if a content is digital only and people are so worried about the patch being unavailable at some point, it stands to reason that not deleting Spyro 2 and Year of the Dragon is the best solution bar a physical release.

And then what happens when the PS4 with the patch downloaded dies?

Just now, madbuk said:

And then what happens when the PS4 with the patch downloaded dies?

Pretty much the same thing as usual: fix it if possible or move on. Likewise, I can ask you: what if physical copies of Spyro aren't sold anymore and the disc breaks? What's the point in worrying about that now? It might happen, it might not. You could also get hit by a car tomorrow, fall from the stairs a week from now and break your neck, or die in some other way before the release of the Reignited Trilogy and still don't get to play it. Instead of worrying, we should be looking forward to playing the games and be glad they got remade.

Seriously, what is with people making a huge deal out of this :facepalm: . It seems like you're expecting the patch to become unavailable a short time after the release. Contrary to what it might seem now, it's not the end of the world: you can extract data from the hard drive or even put the HDD in another PS4 and eventually you will move on to other games. If there's enough money to be earned, there might also be full physical releases and future re-releases.

• Like 2

Just now, Dragon-Archon said:

Pretty much the same thing as usual: fix it if possible or move on. Likewise, I can ask you: what if physical copies of Spyro aren't sold anymore and the disc breaks? What's the point in worrying about that now? It might happen, it might not. You could also get hit by a car tomorrow, fall from the stairs a week from now and break your neck, or die in some other way before the release of the Reignited Trilogy and still don't get to play it. Instead of worrying, we should be looking forward to playing the games and be glad they got remade.

Seriously, what is with people making a huge deal out of this :facepalm: . It seems like you're expecting the patch to become unavailable a short time after the release. Contrary to what it might seem now, it's not the end of the world: you can extract data from the hard drive or even put the HDD in another PS4 and eventually you will move on to other games. If there's enough money to be earned, there might also be full physical releases and future re-releases.

I can buy another disc. Crash sold at least a million I'm pretty sure, you won't struggle to find a copy of it for a long time. You can still find copies of the original Spyro games on PS1, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a million seller back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I think people are making a huge deal out of this because we have seen time and time again where general indifference and/or defending publishers with shoddy business practices has left us, in the past we have seen arguments between 2 sides of gamers for DLC, season passes, microtransactions and loot boxes which, because some people will just 'not see the big deal' has allowed the already rich companies to exploit and milk such practices, heck we already see some physical editions being released with nothing more than unlock keys or tutorial levels. 

Again none of us actually paying for the product benefit from something like this, why would you be ok with something that hinders you just to put more money in someone's pocket?

Edited by Martain2
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Martain2 said:

I think people are making a huge deal out of this because we have seen time and time again where general indifference and/or defending publishers with shoddy business practices has left us, in the past we have seen arguments between 2 sides of gamers for DLC, season passes, microtransactions and loot boxes which, because some people will just 'not see the big deal' has allowed the already rich companies to exploit and milk such practices, heck we already see some physical editions being released with nothing more than unlock keys or tutorial levels. 

Again none of us actually paying for the product benefit from something like this, why would you be ok with something that hinders you just to put more money in someone's pocket?

I can understand being upset about that, as there have been DLCs that were blatantly cut from the game and sold separately as DLC. "Physical" editions that only have a redeemable code isn't really a physical copy. But imo there's a huge difference between paying extra money for DLC, season passes, microtransactions, and loot boxes and purchasing a game (or 3 games in this case) and having to download 2/3 of it without paying extra money for it the remaining 2 games.

Btw there's a difference between being ok with something and defending a company. I'm ok with this because all 3 games are still obtained for the same price, there's a physical disc for my collection that contains the first game, and since I won't be selling it, Spyro 2 and Year of the Dragon won't be deleted. I'd rather have all 3 games on the disc, but that isn't happening. Maybe one day it will.