So disappointing. :(

ShadowStar83x

I got a chance to get some hands on with this game. I'm very disappointed. The game is very underwhelming. I won't repeat what's been said by others already. While I don't mind repetitive tasks usually, I just didn't find running the cafe to be all that fun. I expected more, especially from the guy who created the Harvest Moon series (the good ones, not the crap Natsume puts out now). I feel bad for anyone who paid full price for this. I have seen some reviews from people who enjoyed it, but pretty much what the reviews say are true. :( I do think the graphics are very cute and little kids will probably find this game fun. Still, if you're considering it, wait for a steep price drop. 

Very depressing to hear this. Harvest Moon is my favorite series (at least, before...you know), and I was really hoping this would revitalize the franchise, even if under a different name. But, just like Light of Hope, I guess the only light at the end of this tunnel...is a freight train.

Well, I'll still watch some reviews. Otherwise, I guess it's back to Stardew Valley...

The problem with this game is that there is no upgrades of any kind to help with gathering, cooking, helping out the cafe... everything stays the exact same throughout the game. There is no sense of progression or expansion. The island is way too small. There is never anything new to explore, only every 3-4 chapters a little bit opens up but you can explore it in 5 minutes and it's done. Then you rinse and repeat the same thing you have been doing since the start of the game for the next 30 hours... such a shame. It had potential.

• Like 1

I found it to be a good podcast game.  But couldn't agree more on the pacing.  They give you the first upgrade only a couple chapters in.  Then there isn't another upgrade until I think chapter 6 and then not another until the final chapter.  And the whole time I was thinking the expanded areas would be the bridge you can't walk across, but instead it's just being able to go higher and break bigger piles.  And the formula for the NPC's gets tired too, comes in with a problem, realizes food will fix said problem, collect the recipe pieces for said food, they eat it, chapter ends, rinse, repeat.  Also most of the NPCs were pretty much aholes so that made it really hard to care about any of them.  Forgettable game and until there is a guid for the recipes and ingredients, going to be an incomplete platinum to boot.

I agree. They could of done so much more like allowing us to upgrade and/or customize things with both the cafe and our characters, but everything stays the same except the dragon and mild scripted cafe changes. I'm not too far in, but have been playing other games as Little Dragon's Cafe was boring me. I could only play 1 hour at a time if even that. I think it's ok in short bursts. It's mostly been a good year for simulation games on PS4, but I'd place Little Dragon's Cafe as a low point. Still looking forward to My Time at Portia coming to PS4 this year. If you guy like Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, and/or Studio Ghibli style sim games look it up.

Edited by h0tNstilettos

2 minutes ago, Lostknight179 said:

I remember seeing a few people post on "What was your last purchase?" with the collectors edition of the game. Why they would buy the most expensive version of the game without knowing the quality of it is beyond me. Here's hoping they got their moneys worth

That was just the game and a doll?
If they got the game and a doll then they got their moneys worth...not sure why you need to worry about that.

8 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

If they got the game and a doll then they got their moneys worth...not sure why you need to worry about that.

Also had a soundtrack and character cards.

12 minutes ago, Lostknight179 said:

I remember seeing a few people post on "What was your last purchase?" with the collectors edition of the game. Why they would buy the most expensive version of the game without knowing the quality of it is beyond me. Here's hoping they got their moneys worth

I got it at a discount. However, the fact it was hyped and was made by the creator of Harvest Moon...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

It was a while back that I saw it, so I'm misremembering. When I originally saw it it was a pretty big box so that's why I thought it was a collectors edition. 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:48 PM, Lostknight179 said:

I was one of those people. I'm a strong supporter of Aksys as a publisher (the Zero Escape Trilogy is one of my favorites), and I was really enjoying the Kingdom Development aspects of Ni No Kuni 2 when I heard about this (kingdom development was all about allocation of resources).
The Collector's Edition for this game is actually much better than many of the collectors editions that have come out recently, so it was definitely worth the additional charge over the base game.

Also, I've been playing this game for the past couple days and don't actually think it's the worst garbage game in the world like I've read in many reviews. I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with it... and I am wondering how many people who are complaining about the game actually got to the point where their dragon could fly. It becomes much more fun at that point, but it is about halfway through the game when you open up that mechanic (I agree with the earlier comments about pacing). The game definitely had a lot more potential than what we were given, but I'm actually having more fun with this than I have with the past couple games that I've played (LA Noire, Mary Skelter, Life is Strange: BtS... those games all had superior stories to LDC, but the game play was not as fun imo).
Really the only things about this game I don't like are that the other cafe workers push you around too much, the character jumping mechanics are wonky, and the pacing is bad. I also wish you could have a "hard mode" for cooking where it would be more challenging, and it would have also been nice to be able to register items with an NPC for them to duplicate (like the stores in the Atelier series) and sell back to you with money that you'd get in tips from customers that really liked their food.

Edit--
I partially recant. This last trophy (Recipe Collector) sucks. Decent game unless you're in it for the platinum....

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m loving it. Sure it’s repetetive, but what game isn’t these days.

It is also super cute and relaxing, which is great when the gaming scene is overloaded with generic shooters, and those damn awful battle royale games.

I will be honest though, I never much cared for how the game was. I’ve been buying Wada games since the original HM.. and I don’t plan to stop.. I’m a collector, so I don’t care what the game is like, I have all other games by Wada.. so I won’t stop now.. 

but it thankfully I do really enjoy this game.. 

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
46 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

These are the types that like ANYTHING they play and praise it from the mountaintops as the next best thing since sliced bread. They are the reason shit like this continues to be made.

I'd say yeah I'm a little disappointed in the game with how slow it is. I knew it was slower going in but wow the pacing is terrible. I would not say the game is shit though. It's cutesy and a good bedtime game for when you can't sleep and need something boring.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 10:05 PM, Fragtaster said:

I love this games graphics, and a 7/10 Steam & 70% Metacritic ain't bad. It however does NOT look like a game Aksys should be charging $60 for - this is easily a $29.99 AA budget title (steam is full of games like this for $15). 

I got it on sale for roughly $30 recently and still think it's on the expensive end. It's fun, it just feels... kind of unpolished? Like it was rushed last minute and not everything got implemented. Even the design of the map feels like it's missing something. There are sections a large, flat open space that could be filled with plants or burrows or something. Monsters move in clunky ways sometimes. Little to offer by way of progression outside of collecting recipes. These are little things that don't matter with smaller cheap games, but "unpolished" is a word that should never have to be used to describe a $60 game.