Common problem with PS4 Dualshock controllers?

Mori

I just realized that my controller sometimes doesnt respond when I move the left stick in direction "right". This is my second controller, and my first controller had the same issue, only difference was the direction (up).

Is this common, that after half a year the controller is for no use anymore? I've never had such problems with my 360 controllers, except that they sometimes stuck in one direction and caused slow movement in certain games, no major circumstances.

I've also had a scuff on my 360 and even after years it worked like it was new.

So before I go ahead and purchase another dualshock, are there any alternatives, which cost around the same or a bit more, but with longer durability? Any other tips or advices? 

Edited by Mori
  • Like 1

This is the same situation that has been happening to me for over a few years, first controller that I had was that the left joystick was very unresponsive whenever I was playing a game (For example - GTA V) and the second controller that my father bought me was brand new and ever since I was using the second controller it became worn out within 6-7 months of playing games every day. I got a friend to fix the controller and the main problem with the joysticks is the analog stick which makes the joystick go to a direction that you want to go and therefore since it's worn out, you have to either re-adjust it or fix.s-l300.jpg

Can't help you on an alternative controller, as the ones I've trying using just aren't as good.  Yes, the DS4s just aren't anywhere as good as the DS3s.  In my case, the R2 stops working, and that is probably from playing GTAV too much.  I just pick up new ones from Costco for ~$35 US.

i havent had many problems with ps4 controllers except the rubber coating wearing off the analogs. on ps3 i went through tons of worn out controller analogs big time (i have about 30 controllers for ps3 i use as spare parts to try to frankenstein them back together as they wear out). on ps3 and ps4 alternative controllers in my opinion all suck the buttons usually have to be pressed harder and the analogs are never percise. i got my ps4 on the first day release and those 2 controllers are built less tough. the analogs wore off those 2 after i think 2 years so they lasted pretty long. when i had to buy a  replacement i noticed it was built a bit better, the analog coating is slightlyt different that i think will now last longer. and you can see a light bar on the touch pad which i couldnt see on the factory originals. are you buying the controller from a store or online? the only thing i can think of is maybe if your ordering online they might be shipping older controllers that might not be made as tough as these newer ones. as far as analog sticking though i havent had any issues on ps4 just ps3.

Similar problem, can only use 1 of my 2 DS4’s for gaming due to one having a problem with the left analogue stick.

I’ve had my PS4 less than a year and both controllers have been used moderately so I find it ridiculous that one is useless already. My original DS3’s still work fine bar the occasional R2/L2 jamming. 

When pressing up (to go forwards) it leads to my character juttering making most games unplayable. Really noticeable in games such as GTA III/Fortnite. Also let’s say I aim a weapon and don’t touch the left analogue stick, it still causes the character to move which is very annoying.

So the controller is pretty much worthless to me ?

Edited by Uncharted_Baihh

My PS4 controller is about 4 years old and I've only noticed this problem recently and with only one game. In Dead Rising 2: OTR when I press the analog stick up instead of the character running sometimes it stutters. I switched to my newer controller and everything worked fine, so the problem was definitely the analog sticks. I tested it multiple times.

All other games work fine with my older controller since I still use that.

9 hours ago, Splinter_Elite3 said:

This is the same situation that has been happening to me for over a few years, first controller that I had was that the left joystick was very unresponsive whenever I was playing a game (For example - GTA V) and the second controller that my father bought me was brand new and ever since I was using the second controller it became worn out within 6-7 months of playing games every day. I got a friend to fix the controller and the main problem with the joysticks is the analog stick which makes the joystick go to a direction that you want to go and therefore since it's worn out, you have to either re-adjust it or fix.s-l300.jpg

I recognize the image, because I opened my first controller, when it broke.. I tried to switch the sensors(?), because some dude on youtube recommend it, that it may solve the issue. It didnt work.

8 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

[...]. are you buying the controller from a store or online? the only thing i can think of is maybe if your ordering online they might be shipping older controllers that might not be made as tough as these newer ones. as far as analog sticking though i havent had any issues on ps4 just ps3.

My first controller was shipped with my PS4. Bought it online from Media Markt or Saturn, I dont remember. I bought the second controller from my local Media Markt store, so no shady unknown online store here.

Well, silly me didnt keep the cash voucher, so no warranty for me this time. It seems there is no way around another Dualshock .. *sigh* 

But thanks for all your inputs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mori said:

I recognize the image, because I opened my first controller, when it broke.. I tried to switch the sensors(?), because some dude on youtube recommend it, that it may solve the issue. It didnt work.

My first controller was shipped with my PS4. Bought it online from Media Markt or Saturn, I dont remember. I bought the second controller from my local Media Markt store, so no shady unknown online store here.

Well, silly me didnt keep the cash voucher, so no warranty for me this time. It seems there is no way around another Dualshock .. *sigh* 

But thanks for all your inputs.

I am not really familiar with the controllers hardware and what to do/how to fix it, but I suggest you should get a friend who is good at fixing electronic devices and have him take a look at it. But since I am frustrated on having worn out controllers that I could barely play with, I am saving my money to buy a Xim Apex adapter for my PS4 which allows me to play Mouse & Keyboard on PS4.

One of my newer controllers is having this stutter shit for a very specific game. Mainly Naruto 2. When walking left in town he looks like he is moonwalking forward :(

I've never had an issue with the controllers...I see this come up everywhere. 2 of my 3 controllers I've had since 2015 when I got my PS4 and other than battery degradation, I have no issues with them. DS4 has been one of the best controllers I've ever used.