Ds2 rating question

wackt1

- the game feels weird.

- u can take damage while backstabing even if its just a tiny amount

- the backstab animations suck.

- the atacking sound sucks, its way to crunchy munchy

- the movement is weird, not just for your char, but also for humanoid enemies (the falconers are the worst)

- you have to spent levels to get i-frames on your dodge roll

- weapons break to quickly

- the enemy design is weird (elephants, dwarfs and angry hippos)

this is all that i have for now, there is probably more, but those are the most obvious for me

2 minutes ago, Eylside said:

- the game feels weird.

- u can take damage while backstabing even if its just a tiny amount

- the backstab animations suck.

- the atacking sound sucks, its way to crunchy munchy

- the movement is weird, not just for your char, but also for humanoid enemies (the falconers are the worst)

- you have to spent levels to get i-frames on your dodge roll

- weapons break to quickly

- the enemy design is weird (elephants, dwarfs and angry hippos)

this is all that i have for now, there is probably more, but those are the most obvious for me

so the gameplay is is weird

The project leads were not the same project lead's as Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, so right out of the gate many Souls's fan, when assessing it's quality, began with bias against it.

Other Soul's fans began their experience with Dark Soul's 1 and skipped Demon's Souls. Dark Souls 2 makes many gameplay changes from Dark Souls 1 that pulls it slightly closer to Demon's Souls. One example is in Dark Souls 1, being in hollow form has very little drawback as you have full max HP. In Demon's Souls, when you died your max HP was cut in half immediately. Dark Souls 2 was a compromise between the two, every death would cause a small loss to max HP until it eventually reached 1/2 after many deaths. It was different than what they were accustomed to (I was used to it since I had played Demon's Souls first) so they immediately hated it. Dark Souls 2 also puts less focus on being an open world as you can teleport between bonfires from the start. Some folks hated that, I found all the manual backtracking before you get the Lordvessel a chore in DS1.

Other players were annoyed that they changed how dodging worked so that you had to invest in a stat to improve your i-frames during rolling. I never understood this as so many other things in the soul's series require raising 1 or more stats to improve its usefulness. The ability to wear heavier armor and keep fast roll requires raising a stat, equipping better weapons and shields requires a stat, equipping more spells/miracles/pyromancies requires a stat, doing more attacks before depleting your stamina bar requires raising a stat, etc. They made several other changes in that same vein like splitting the function of endurance into two different stats and making dark miracles / sorceries require investing in two different stats to increase damage in order to make jack of all trade's builds less effective.

The big issue many have that is a valid criticism is soul memory for matchmaking. Every time you collect a soul, even if you die and lose it, it bumps up a running total. Your soul memory determines who you can co-op and invade as you do PvP it will keep pushing you into a higher and higher tier, even if you don't want it to do that (until the agape ring which stops you from collecting souls was later introduced). Previous games were based on soul level so that you could have more control over your multiplayer range, but unfortunately that made it quite easy to twink characters to curb stomp normal players. This is why they introduced the flawed mechanic as an anti-twinking measure, which is the real reason I suspect at least a small segment of the player population very vocally complained about it, because it was effective. They came up with a little better solution in Dark Souls 3 to base it on the upgrade level of weapons in your inventory and scale down your power to match other players when you are at a higher soul level.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wackt1 said:

Why do people not like this game in regards to the rest of the game.

Fanboys. I can get behind people who say, "I didn't like DS2 as much as DS". I can even stop shaking my head long enough to try to comprehend, "I didn't like DS2 as much as DS3". 

But mostly, people hate on DS2 because they're Miyazaki fanboys. DS2 is an excellent game. If it didn't hold up to Dark Souls, that's like saying that the lobster bisque isn't quite as good as the filet mignon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, monteblommie said:

Dark souls 2 is the worst of the souls games but still leagues ahead of most action rpgs.

I quite like dark souls 2.

It simply just wasn't as good as dark souls 1.

The sheer hatred some have for the game is just silly.

This! I enjoyed it immensly as well. While I'd agree that it is the weakest souls games it's still an awesome game. Listening to the first couple of notes of the Majula soundtrack makes me want to pick it up again. xD

Edited by Platisfaction

1 hour ago, beastuk1 said:

Not Really sure but it is somewhat different with the limited spawn of enemies therefore hindering the leveling up process, also DarkLurker ....LOL 

One of the best ideas of the series. Actually, it would have been better if enemies became "soulless" after a time, so you couldn't just grind them into oblivion like you do elsewhere, but still had to deal with them.

Dark Souls 2 is the best of the bunch in terms of gameplay and online. Ds3 has the best bosses and DS1 the best lore.

The problem is that 3 is too short, while DS1 has too much artificial difficulty, not even on bosses who are for the most part easy and slow but bullshit areas like Crystal Cave and Tomb of the Giant, or the incomplete Lost Izalith. Everything but the finale after the Lordvessel is a chore, pretty much, but at least the fight with Gwyn was the most memorable in the series to me, dlcs included.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 1

Dark Souls II is the worst Game of the Series. The whole Gameplay is like a hot pile of Garbage.

The Locations of the first Game, are connected through various Shortcuts. Your epic Journey beginns in Firelink Shrine and one of the earliest Locations you are fighting through, is a Castle, with various evil Knights. If you are able to defeat all of the Knights, then you will quickly realize that this Castle has a Sewerage. In this Sewerag, defeating an abnormal monstrous Dragon, will get you the Key for Blighttown´s closed Gates. After arriving in Blightown, you can use an Elevator in this specific Town, which takes you to the Valley of Drakes. From there you can use the Master Key to open up a Door. Going through that Door will bring you to a new Area. Only to realize, that the new Area you are now in, is indeed Firelink Shrine. The beginning of the Game. Dark Souls II offers none of that. No Shortcuts, only a linear Way to the Boss, with no Chance of Exploring.

The second Thing Dark Souls II does wrong, is the Balancing. In the first Game, every Soul invested into a wrong Character Stat, would weaken your Character. As an Example, If you wanted to play as an almighty Wizard, every Soul invested in Strenght or Dexterity would be meaningless. In the worst Case, you wouldn´t be able to use the strongest Spells. You could be the strongest Knight or an almighty Wizard but not both. However in the case of Dark Souls II, you could be a Combination of Gandalf, Rambo and Papst Benedict and all of that at the same Time. An almighty Wizard wearing the heaviest Armor and throwing the deadliest Cleric Miracles at you? No Problem for Dark Souls II.

There are many more weird Things going on in Dark Souls II but these are my biggest Complaints with this Game.

Yours sincerely
I00_Brave_Wolves

It's a very good game in its own right. It may be considered the weakest in the series, but most of the backlash pretty much comes from a butthurt fanbase who expected a sequel that would match the highs achieved by its predecessor. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the game a lot - even to the extent of the first although I will admit that the game comes with its fair share of problems. The main ones are the soul memory matchmaking system, unfair and often ganky enemy placements and mostly uninspired bosses. The health penalty system is another criticism towards a lesser extent as it becomes a non-issue once you progress further through the game and find a certain ring. Overall, the negative reputations that you often hear with this game are the result of overinflated expectations along with a few backwards steps in terms of game design. 

Because DS II is just very different to it's predecessor. 

The interconnectivy from DS I is almost completely missing in DS II. 

There're so many uninspired and lame bossfights and those who are not way too easy are often cheap af (Ancient Dragon, Darklurker, Royal Rat Authority)

Lifegems kinda broke the healing system.

Stupidly annoying DLC areas and too many gank bosses.

The lore from DS I was barely implemented into the game, instead they introduced Drangleic and the whole Nashandra-Vendrick thingie.

Either you like DS II or you don't. For me it's still my favorite Souls title, because IMO it still has the best PvP, the smoothest gameplay and is absolutely gorgeous looking.

Btw when people say DS I is a masterpiece etc., they tend to forget that everything past the Lordvessel (about 30-40% of the game) is a broken and unbalanced mess. 

17 hours ago, Sardavanua said:

There're so many uninspired and lame bossfights and those who are not way too easy are often cheap af (Ancient Dragon, Darklurker, Royal Rat Authority)

You know, a lot of people say this, but Dark Souls had its fair share of lame boss fights (Moonlight Butterfly, Seath, and of course, who could ever forget the Bed of Chaos, arguably the worst boss fight I've ever seen). 

I personally think DS is a masterpiece, but every masterpiece has its flaws. Apparently, though,only the flaws of DS II are worth noting.

3 hours ago, triplejmzu8 said:

Dark Souls 2 is my favorite Dark Souls game while Dark Souls 1 is the only one I don't like at all. Seems as if I'm different. :D

I only prefer Demon's Souls over DS2.

It makes sense, right? There's quite a bit of Demon's Souls in Dark Souls 2. The lack of interconnectivity between various regions was obvious in Demon's Souls, because you had a hub point in the nexus. And of course, health loss was automatic after death in Demon's Souls.

But really? You don't like Dark Souls at all?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

It makes sense, right? There's quite a bit of Demon's Souls in Dark Souls 2. The lack of interconnectivity between various regions was obvious in Demon's Souls, because you had a hub point in the nexus. And of course, health loss was automatic after death in Demon's Souls.

But really? You don't like Dark Souls at all?

I just can't really get into it. DS1 was the first DS I've played and I had no fun at all. Gave up the game at the big bow dudes in Anor Londo. Later, a friend kinda forced me to play DS2 and I loved it. Played DeS afterwards and loved it. Played through DS3 shortly after my A-Level exams and I liked it (did not love it but liked it). Now, just a few weeks ago, I bought DS1 Remastered and I was convinced that I'd like it now after finishing all the other Souls games - naaah. It felt sooo wrong to me, I don't know. The places feel so boring, I don't like any of the bosses, etc. Every Souls game kinda motivated me to re-try a boss battle I couldn't finish before. However, every time I do not beat a boss first try in DS1 (happens a lot) I just feel frustrated and annoyed without having ANY motivation to re-try them.

It's hard to explain WHY I dislike DS1 so much as I can't even think of any reasons myself. It's just a feeling and I just don't have any fun with it.

I find Dark Souls 2 to be the weakest of the series for mainly three reasons:

1) Quality over quantity in bosses. DS2 has the largest roster of bosses of the series, and a lot of them are just... bad. Some are recycled from DS1 with a handful of changes, some DLC bosses are just recolors from the main game itself, and a lot are just uninspired "big guy who hits hard and does little else" types. And don't get me started on Royal Rat Vanguard.

2) Annoying areas. DS2 has a lot of interesting areas to traverse, but some others are just downright annoying. They really got carried away with poison and these small traps that do little damage but often force you to stop and use items. The rest of the series obviously has traps as well, but they are usually fewer and much more inventive. I guess this point boils down to DS2 going for quantity over quality as well.

3) Overall world structure. DS1 had an incredibly intricate world, and finding passages between different areas always felt rewarding. DS2 comes close to scrapping that completely, with just a HUB area and various branches that are not interconnected for the most part. I basically had a lot less fun exploring in DS2 than in DS1, DS3 and BB. Except obviously for the loading screens, I felt like DS2 devolved a lot back to Demon's Souls structure.

I don't think DS2 is a bad game at all, in fact I enjoyed it a lot. I just don't think it was as brilliant as the rest of the series.

Edited by ZexenVatenkeist

31 minutes ago, ZexenVatenkeist said:

3) Overall world structure. DS1 had an incredibly intricate world, and finding passages between different areas always felt rewarding. DS2 comes close to scrapping that completely, with just a HUB area and various branches that are not interconnected for the most part. I basically had a lot less fun exploring in DS2 than in DS1, DS3 and BB. Except obviously for the loading screens, I felt like DS2 devolved a lot back to Demon's Souls structure.

Funny enough cause that is what I think is one of the best things in DS2. It had more like a "level by level"-type feeling and I loved traversing the different paths to an END and not suddenly finding myself back in an area I already was before. I personally disliked the way, DS1 structured the world.

2 minutes ago, triplejmzu8 said:

Funny enough cause that is what I think is one of the best things in DS2. It had more like a "level by level"-type feeling and I loved traversing the different paths to an END and not suddenly finding myself back in an area I already was before. I personally disliked the way, DS1 structured the world.

That is fair. None of these structures is bad, they are just different. In the end it boils down to taste.

Edited by ZexenVatenkeist
  • Like 1