The Kids Of Today Seem To Be Struggling With Super Metroid

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/the-kids-of-today-seem-to-be-struggling-with-super-metr-507848662

original.jpg

SNES classic Super Metroid went on sale for under a buck earlier this week, the combination of price and the game's status obviously resulting in a massive influx of new players.

Players that, thanks to the wonders of the Miiverse, appear to be...struggling with 1990s game design.

There's always the chance these guys are trolling/joking, but then, it seems just as likely that a generation of people who have grown up with proper tutorials and hand-holding are, well, finding it all a little difficult.

33619048.jpg

Edited by Sonic
  • Like 3

//coughcough

I am ashamed to say that I played this game for the first time 3 months ago, and I was stuck at that exact same part.... Until Deth told me you had to shoot the door 5 times with rockets.

• Like 2

This young generation is mostly full of gamers that play that generic crap of first person view shooters like Call Of Duty of course they would get stuck im surely a lot of those would also rage if they released games like Ninja gaiden,Castlevania among others with trophies/achievements

I like the one that asks how they're suppose to beat that guy. In any event I really hope they were joking cuz if they weren't then I feel really sorry for gamers 10 years from now.  Whenever I have a kid I'm going to be sure to have them play some of hardest games there are to make sure they learn some of the important life lessons.

• Like 1

It is Nintendo's fault. They have dumbed down their games so much that how could they expect people to figure out Super Metroid. Epic Kirby you can't die, New Super Mario walks you through the level if you die too much, Navi (or the other fairies) points out how to beat every boss and puzzle and Pokemon still hasn't evolved past "just use the opposite element to win every battle" 

While Nintendo may have been the hero of gaming back in the day they have become a blight on the industry the past couple of years. It is like the saying goes "You Either Die a Hero, or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become the Villain "

• Like 4

As someone who "crawled" through Metroid with my father laughing the whole time, I feel that I now have the right to laugh at all these kids now. This is hilarious.

To be fair, they are most likely very young users ( I hope ) considering the target audience of the wii, and the fact that they didn't just google it to start. 

Edited by Christopher

I love the sense of elitism...as if none of us struggled with a game back then. The only difference between then and now - aside from all the games that now hold your hand [Of which Nintendo is the worst culprit - Super Guide, anyone?] - is that we were forced to figure out what to do by either consulting the manual, waiting for the next issue of EGM or Nintendo Power, asking someone we knew that had it how to get past that part - or just plain running around the level like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to find a switch or item.

Now - people can just go on the internet and look up what they need. Older games didn't exactly make it obvious what you needed to do - Metroid didn't even give hints as to what you should do. It just threw you in and said "Do this." At least games like Mega Man kind of eased you into things - giving you subtle hints as to what was coming [Like seeing a platform drop before you go to jump on it.]

I wonder, though - how would these guys do with a game like Myst, which tells you &^%$ all about what you should do?

Edited by Fox
  • Like 3

It is Nintendo's fault. They have dumbed down their games so much that how could they expect people to figure out Super Metroid. Epic Kirby you can't die, New Super Mario walks you through the level if you die too much, Navi (or the other fairies) points out how to beat every boss and puzzle and Pokemon still hasn't evolved past "just use the opposite element to win every battle" 

1st of all Nintendo games have always been like that to be fair there were some parts in SMSunshine that kicked my ass.

2nd Using the zelda fairies are just hints they don't exactly point out EXACTLY how to beat the boss unlike some games that just highlight every damn weakspot the boss has.

And the opposite element to win every battle issue? Might as well call out every RPG ever made since they all use some type of rock-paper-scisors system

What logical sense would  it make if electricity beats rock?

Let's be honest here Super Metroid isn't exactly the most accessible game out there or any newcomer of 2d Sidescrollers you can get lost this is probably and most likely just jokes,I mean who doesn't know what a Walkthrough is?

Edited by Ramonalicious
  • Like 1

1st of all Nintendo games have always been like that to be fair there were some parts in SMSunshine that kicked my ass.

2nd Using the zelda fairies are just hints they don't exactly point out EXACTLY how to beat the boss unlike some games that just highlight every damn weakspot the boss has.

And the opposite element to win every battle issue? Might as well call out every RPG ever made since they all use some type of rock-paper-scisors system

What logical sense would  it make if electricity beats rock?

1st-Old school Nintendo games didn't hold your hand. It was 3 continues and game over. Go back and play Yoshi's Island and then play New Super Mario Bros and you will see what I mean.

2nd-but that is the thing, it didn't give a chance for you to fail Navi (or whatever) is right away telling you how to beat something (sure you don't have to press c-up but it is still there right away). On top of that more than a couple of times a text box pops up and points out what you should do before you even get a chance to look around.

3rd-Yes in RPGs Fire beats Ice and Water beats Fire etc. but in Pokemon you literally don't have to try because no Pokemon trainer actually diversifies their pokemon so if you go into the fire gym you just use your water pokemon and beat everything in 1 hit. Then you head into the Water gym and your electric pokemon beats everything in 1 hit. That is the main difference. You can't use Ice 2 against Ifrit and beat him in one hit, you have to actually battle him. Also most bosses have multiple attacks so you have to adjust your playing styles to beat them. In pokemon you know Charizard isn't going to pull out Thunderbolt so you never have to worry about your water pokemon dying.

The problem here is. They cry immediatly for help.
Why not hunker down and check everything. (Granted the missile doors I give them that since there is no manual(so it'd be very cryptic). But if the game has a virtual manual then there's no excuse).

That is the one thing this gen is bad at, having the patience to look/test things out. Why do you think so many games start with in depth tutorials. All you need is basics, if you want the other stuff, go and look for it.

Like recently Metal Gear Rising. Sure the parry is easy, but it has 2 flaws if you spam it.
1. You never get the high powered counterattack if you don't time it.

2. It's worthless in a mob if you get surrounded, parrying forward does not protect the sides, just forward.

But then you notice the Evade maneuver they added... so now everything changes. Smart people use the evade for the invincibility frames and the move cancelling you can do with it (Bloodlust ftw).
While you can parry all you like, you could be dealing damage instead of spamming the parry.

But that's the way I see it.

Also, one of the most cryptic games I have ever played as a child was Star-tropics.... Oh Lord!, the submarine parts.

I like the one that asks how they're suppose to beat that guy. In any event I really hope they were joking cuz if they weren't then I feel really sorry for gamers 10 years from now.  Whenever I have a kid I'm going to be sure to have them play some of hardest games there are to make sure they learn some of the important life lessons.

You will be a good father....I wish more dads did that to their kids

I think the title is a little misleading. Yes, kids today might be having trouble, but the kids of the 90s also had trouble with this game a got stuck at the same parts. The only difference is that they had no social networking and had to either buy a guide book or figure it out. They couldn't post it up on the internet and ask.

thats down right funny... I have played Super Metroid from start to finish probably 15 times since it came out on the SNES... Maybe i did better because first of all there was no internet to go to for a walkthrough so if you came to a spot where you got stuck you just looked for another way (and back then there was ALWAYS another way because glitches weren't invented yet) and second i played the FIRST Metroid game on the NES (before anyone knew Samus was a girl) so i had some practice, lol...

Edited by piggie_pie
  • Like 1

thats down right funny... I have played Super Metroid from start to finish probably 15 times since it came out on the SNES... Maybe i did better because first of all there was no internet to go to for a walkthrough so if you came to a spot where you got stuck you just looked for another way (and back then there was ALWAYS another way because glitches weren't invented yet) and second i played the FIRST Metroid game on the NES (before anyone knew Samus was a girl) so i had some practice, lol...

Glitches existed back then, too. They weren't as frequent, but they happened. Or do you not know of games like Cheetahmen, or Cheetahmen II? :P

Charizard: Sunny day + solarbeam would beat a water pokemon.

Typhlosion: Thunderpunch or the above sunny day combo.

Ninetails: Energy ball + sunny day combo.

I can keep listing different ways you can train pokemon to overcome their weakness but you might be the type to just give all fire attacks to a fire pokemon and not cover any weaknesses like say a ground or fighting move on a fire type to defeat a rock type.

I was talking about the single player campaign (which is why I mentioned the gyms and trainers)  no computer character actually diversifies his characters or party. The only way to have any challenge in the game is to play against other people, because the game is pathetically easy.

Remember my original post was about Nintendo making their games too easy, not how good of a player you are.

• Like 1

I was talking about the single player campaign (which is why I mentioned the gyms and trainers)  no computer character actually diversifies his characters or party. The only way to have any challenge in the game is to play against other people, because the game is pathetically easy.

Remember my original post was about Nintendo making their games too easy, not how good of a player you are.

The rival especially the D/P/Pt rival, colosseum/stadium/battle revolution, Blue/Green and Red are obvious trainers that come to mind instantly.

• Like 1