Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Thread

DragonQuest238

I checked to make sure that nobody else posted this type of thread before I did.

Anyways, here is what we learned in the Nintendo's last SSBU direct:

1. The Grinch Myth has been busted. The last two fighters are an echo fight (Ryu's Street Fighter counterpart, Ken) and the Pokemon Inceniroar, which I knew was probably going to be a part of smash since despite being a Dark type, Incineroar is a wrestler with fighting-type moves. His Final Smash Z-move is awesome!
  2. As I said, the Grinch Myth is a fake. No Banjo-Kazooie, Gen, Chorus Kids or Issac...
  3. Well, Issac of Golden Sun is in Smash... but he's an Assist Trophy, not a playable.
  4. HOWEVER, they are going to have five DLC characters bundled with stages and music and you either buy one of them for $5.99 or get the season pass for $25 to get all five of them when they come out. The first one is the Pirahna Plant whose Final Smash is morphing into the SSBB Petey Piranha which can trap opponents in cages and do lots of damage to them. (You can get this for free by going to the Nintendo Gold store before the game comes out if you pre-purchase Ultimate.)
  5. The Spirits mode does exist and we've figured out what it is... it replaces the trophies from other games with more helpful icons! Each day, they'll give eight challenges similar to the challenges in Melee or Brawl. To earn a spirit based on a character from a game(I am using Guts Man from the Direct) you have to win a battle against a Smasher who is emulating that character in a certain way(for example, for Guts Man you have to fight a Giant Mega Man who tries to grab and throw you all the time similar to how Guts Man in the original Mega Man grabbed rocks and threw them at Mega Man). Once you win the challenge, the opponent is paralyzed and a shield rotates around him and you zap them with a raygun that steals the Spirit out of the enemy and you earn it. If you hit the shield, it breaks and the damage carries over so just do the challenge again and you can get a better chance of stealing the Spirit.
  6. The Spirits are like accessories in Kingdom Hearts; you equip a primary spirit that increases your Smasher's attack power and that spirit can equip up to three support Spirits that give special abilities like immunity to hazards and stronger attacks. You can use these in multi-player but do expect your opponents to be buffed with Spirits as well. They also have a weapon triangle like in Fire Emblem: They are either Attack, Grab or Shield. Attack is strong against Grab, Grab is strong against Shield and Shield is strong against Attack. By equipping a Primary Spirit which is strong against your opponent's Spirit, you get a boost to damage.
  7. Spirits will gain experience and level up after you win Smash battles (or feed them snacks you can earn by various means) and you can release them to power up other Spirits, get cores to fuse to Spirits to make totally new Spirits, or release them to power up your amiibos. (Yes, leveling up amiibos returns and I intend to get an amiibo before I play this game. ^_^) Don't worry, you can just redo the challenge to earn another copy of that Spirit you released.
  8. There are tons of Spirits based on various games and tons of challenges to get them! This will be my favorite part of the game and the reason I'm buying it. Shantae is one of the Spirits, so I am definitely going to find her first!
  9. Spirits aren't just accessories. Like in Valtheria Academy Story or similar games, you can train your Spirits at dojos or gyms in the game and send a team of Spirits out to look for treasure and you might get goodies for free. These sessions continue even if you turn off the game so you can send a team to hunt for treasure, turn off your Switch, go to bed, wake up and turn the game back on and they'll have completed the expedition. You also can unlock master trainers by certain means. This makes Spirits an extra thing to do if you can't find an opponent online or are tried of the challenges and you can AFK and they'll still keep doing their stuff so they are much less of a hassle to train than Dream Eaters. xD
  10. There is also an adventure mode similar to Subspace Emissary which is called World of Light. It involves doing Spirit Challenges in a Super Mario World like map.
  11. You won't be stuck in a lobby while waiting for an online match, you can do various challenges while waiting and it'll alert you when you get a match.
  12. You can form a set of custom rules and try to match with people who want similar rules, but your Internet connection must be stable.
  13. Also, no more kamikazing allowed - the game will punish you, and even kick you off the server, if you keep killing yourself to get a draw. xD
  14. You need to make a Smash Tag before you can play online, and you can earn other players' Smash Tags by defeating them. (you don't lose your own if you lose) You can exchange these Tags for gold points you can exchange in an in-game shop for new music, outfits and goodies.
  15. The Mii swordsman, brawler and gunner return but you can customize them with outfits from the in-game shop or from promo content. Included outfits are Ribbon Girl from ARMS, the Splatoon 2 Inklings, and even a promotional outfit of Reks from Xenoblade Chronicles 2! Several Xenoblade characters will also be Spirits.
  16. Lots of events in America to allow you to try the game out!
  17. And finally, voice chat is available if you subscribe to the Nintendo online service.

The verdict?

Screen_Shot_2017-09-22_at_2.01.58_PM.pngshut_up_and_take_my_coins__by_kuriseru-d

Yeah, I am definitely going to lose my birthday money to this game but I can't help it! I loved Brawl when it came out and this game just overthrew the Brawl Tyrant. :D

So, anyone hyped for Ultimate and saw the Direct?

Edited by DragonQuest238
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not really, it was pretty underwhelming. The new "adventure" mode just looks like a board game with versus matches, was hoping for a more platforming adventure mode like melee or subspace

I respect your opinion. I know that The World of Light is a bit different. The guy(I don't remember his name, Masahari something? :() said that this adventure mode focuses more on fun exploration rather than a gripping story. But I think the Spirits mode is a great way to make all of those collectible icons be useful instead of just being on some virtual table. ;)

I don't even have a switch and I am hyped for this game. I have a couple of friends with a Switch, so I may get my chance to play this game (or buy a Switch if the SSB itch gets big enough).

The concept of spirits reminds me of the stickers from Brawl. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm sure it'll be better.

Edit: I also wish there is more platforming, but right now, adventure mode looks like a Super Mario Bros game, which I could get behind. The only thing that I want from adventure mode from smash is variety like bosses or odd maps or conditions which it looks like there will be. Interesting that Kirby was the lone survivor. I was actually expecting the 12 original to make it out unscathed instead of just Kirby. Though I laughed out loud at Snake... Classic!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

Dyring the World of Light section they did show one of the bosses from Brawl, which was a unique character created just for that, so chances are there are more of the old bosses on top of the already announced Rathalos and Dracula. That is going to be the best part of that mode.

Hopefully they also have some extra win conditions for some fights to open up secret paths to optional content.

Spirits seems like a very efficient way to keep adding "content" without adding much. Just add some image of something and use what the game already has to create a new event match.

Anyway, its good to see some meaty single player content to grind through. Too bad trophies aren't a thing anymore, but one has to understand that making so many 3D models that do nothing is not efficient. Using JPGS also allows to have more.

I just hope there are more than the challenges shown because that didn't look like many. Wii U had like 140.

• Like 1

Saw the Direct early morning yesterday. It's a shame that the Grinch leak got proved fake as it did have some interesting characters going for it and the evidence supporting it was strong. That's why I usually avoid believing in any of those online leaks on characters, to begin with. Until an official word from the developer comes out, everything can be proved fake no matter how good it sounds. Anyways, regarding the Direct, I thought it was good. Ken and Incineroar inclusions are welcome to the roster and many of the new assist trophies they showed were pretty cool as well.

The spirits mechanics was very interesting to me as I saw it as a combination of what the stickers were in Brawl with the what the event mode was in Melee. Cool. Sacrificing trophies for that wasn't probably a great idea (I actually enjoyed collecting and seeing all those 3D models) but what is being offered in its place is equally interesting to me.

The new campaign/adventure/story mode called World of Light also looked very promising. I just hope it ends up being better than what the Subspace Emissary campaign was in Brawl, great cutscenes but somewhat underwhelming in the end as far as character's interactions. I liked the idea of having to explore a map similar to Super Mario World and having to tackle fights with special conditions, characters, and whatnot. Having to unlock all of the characters minus the original 12 looks like it would be a lot of fun, as well as completing the comic book-like section containing the many challenges. All in all, the game appears to be packed on as far as content.

About the online and the voice app with the app on the phone... whatever, I'm not really into that. Except for the app, the rest of the online mode looks well put together though, for those that are into it. Let's hope Nintendo finally manages to set up a decent service for running those matches with as less lag as possible. And the DLC and the season pass they will be working on as soon as the game launches, eh-, I'm not into that either.

Overall, I thought the direct was between okay and good but not mind-blowing. My enthusiasm for the game is still on the high side and it remains the main reason so far I am looking to get a Nintendo Switch anytime soon :)

18 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Edit: I also wish there is more platforming, but right now, adventure mode looks like a Super Mario Bros game, which I could get behind. The only thing that I want from adventure mode from smash is variety like bosses or odd maps or conditions which it looks like there will be. Interesting that Kirby was the lone survivor. I was actually expecting the 12 original to make it out unscathed instead of just Kirby. Though I laughed out loud at Snake... Classic!

You mean when the ray hit that lone box sitting on the cliff? :awesome: I lol'ed hard when I saw that too ?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

You mean when the ray hit that lone box sitting on the cliff? :awesome: I lol'ed hard when I saw that too 1f602.png

YES! Omg. Instead of trying to run away, he hides in his box. Though I think I like the idea of him running away while in the box as well! ?

I think some were disappointed because the final Smash Bros direct didn't end in a BANG! I think if they saved Ridley for last we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I was hoping for Shadow, Magnus, and Skull Kid, but overall I think you can't really complain with 74 characters to start.

10 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

YES! Omg. Instead of trying to run away, he hides in his box. Though I think I like the idea of him running away while in the box as well! 1f602.png

I think some were disappointed because the final Smash Bros direct didn't end in a BANG! I think if they saved Ridley for last we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I was hoping for Shadow, Magnus, and Skull Kid, but overall I think you can't really complain with 74 characters to start.

Him running away on the box would have been hysterical lol xD

Yes, that too. Showing Piranha Plant as an early bonus for those who purchase the game now was kind of underwhelming. I mean, it is a curious, funny character to see for sure but they could have shown someone else here and cause an even a bigger impact, like Shadow, Banjo or someone else totally amazing, but nope. Instead, It kinda ended on a whimper. But yeah, the 74 character roster is nothing short of amazing at this point really :awesome:

• Like 1

I think World of Light looks brilliant. Subspace Emissary was a slog to get through, and I didn’t miss it in Smash for Wii U / 3DS. This looks more like Weapon Master from SoulCalibur II and World Tour from Street Fighter Alpha 3, which are my favorite single-player components in any fighting game.

Piranha Plant looks like a blast to play as too. Definitely my favorite addition for the new roster.

My DLC character hopes are any five out of: Tingle, Skull Kid, Geno, Tetra, Chibi Robo, Paper Mario, or Captain Rainbow, plus Banjo & Kazooie or Torneko (Dragon Quest) for third party. Though I’d be happy for surprises (that don’t come from Fire Emblem, sorry).

Would love random echo drops too, like Ninten for Ness or Lucas just to complete the Mother protags.

Kooloo-limpah!

Edited by nemoflouri
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nemoflouri said:

I think World of Light looks brilliant. Subspace Emissary was a slog to get through, and I didn’t miss it in Smash for Wii U / 3DS. This looks more like Weapon Master from SoulCalibur II and World Tour from Street Fighter Alpha 3, which are my favorite single-player components in any fighting game.

Piranha Plant looks like a blast to play as too. Definitely my favorite addition for the new roster.

My DLC character hopes are any five out of: Tingle, Skull Kid, Geno, Tetra, Chibi Robo, Paper Mario, or Captain Rainbow, plus Banjo & Kazooie or Torneko (Dragon Quest) for third party. Though I’d be happy for surprises (that don’t come from Fire Emblem, sorry).

Would love random echo drops too, like Ninten for Ness or Lucas just to complete the Mother protags.

Kooloo-limpah!

I've always, ALWAYS have said that Paper Mario would be an amazing addition to the roster. Glad I'm not the only one!

I also wanted another Mother character in there. I've only played Mother 3 (with Lucas as the mc) so I'm impartial to see Katora. I thought maybe she'd be an echo fighter to Lucas, but she's already confirmed as an assist trophy. Ninten would be great though too! I like the idea of having the 3 protagonists.

I love Fire Emblem, but I think they have enough characters. The only one that I wanted added for ultimate was Tiki as you could make some great moves with a Manakete, but at this point, more FE characters seems like overkill. Though, something tells me that a character from FE: 3 Houses is planned for a DLC character.

I would also bet that another FF character joins the roster whether that be Noct, Lightning, Sephiroth, or Auron (fan favorites) as DLC. I think at least 3/5 will be 3rd party characters as agreements weren't made in time for the release. I also think that they will have more than 5 DLC characters overall... Especially if the characters sell well (which, yeah, duh!)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I've always, ALWAYS have said that Paper Mario would be an amazing addition to the roster. Glad I'm not the only one!

I love Fire Emblem, but I think they have enough characters. The only one that I wanted added for ultimate was Tiki as you could make some great moves with a Manakete, but at this point, more FE characters seems like overkill. Though, something tells me that a character from FE: 3 Houses is planned for a DLC character.

Same. Paper Mario is sooo different from regular Mario. He would be super funny looking, too.

Tiki is an assist trophy, and I'm glad they used waifu Tiki instead of loli Tiki. I always liked the adult version more, for obvious reasons =p. I would have liked if she was playable (very different frm any other FE character), but with 3 houses coming out soon they had to save that spot for one from there.

2 hours ago, maiathewinners said:

Banjo on the game

I wish we could get the Kingdom Hearts franchise in Smash but that's not happening either. Sora and Riku and Mickey are Disney properties and, while Nintendo has worked with Disney before, Kingdom Hearts is Square-Enix's child and since Kingdom Hearts III is not coming to Switch, the Kingdom Hearts series is never got to be on Nintendo platforms and therefore Sora will never be in Smash except in fan games. I know that Banjo and Kazooie's first games were on Nintendo platforms but Nintendo lost the rights to those characters when Rare was purchased by Microsoft. Banjo-Kazooie was not a Nintendo property, it was created by Rare and Microsoft acquired them which is why the BK series is on XBOX360 and not PS3. Unless Microsoft thinks that the BK series stinks and drops it for Nintendo to snap back up, we won't see Banjo on any Nintendo game ever again. :(

If you want a Banjo like character to be in Smash, send a petition to Nintendo to have Yooka and Laylee be in the Fighter's Pass. These characters were created by people who worked on Banjo-Kazooie and their game has the same atmosphere as the old BK games.

23 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

If you paused the Direct when they were showing off Spirits, one of the pages of spirits had a Spirit based on Shadow Queen Peach from Thousand Year Door, so they are adding Paper Mario characters to the game, but as Spirits. ;)

7 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

Same. Paper Mario is sooo different from regular Mario. He would be super funny looking, too.

Tiki is an assist trophy, and I'm glad they used waifu Tiki instead of loli Tiki. I always liked the adult version more, for obvious reasons =p. I would have liked if she was playable (very different frm any other FE character), but with 3 houses coming out soon they had to save that spot for one from there.

Agreed, I liked waifu Tiki as well. I've played through Awakening like 7 times and I loved having a Manakete as a daughter! Definitely my favorite class in the series.

5 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I wish we could get the Kingdom Hearts franchise in Smash but that's not happening either. Sora and Riku and Mickey are Disney properties and, while Nintendo has worked with Disney before, Kingdom Hearts is Square-Enix's child and since Kingdom Hearts III is not coming to Switch, the Kingdom Hearts series is never got to be on Nintendo platforms and therefore Sora will never be in Smash except in fan games. I know that Banjo and Kazooie's first games were on Nintendo platforms but Nintendo lost the rights to those characters when Rare was purchased by Microsoft. Banjo-Kazooie was not a Nintendo property, it was created by Rare and Microsoft acquired them which is why the BK series is on XBOX360 and not PS3. Unless Microsoft thinks that the BK series stinks and drops it for Nintendo to snap back up, we won't see Banjo on any Nintendo game ever again. :(

If you want a Banjo like character to be in Smash, send a petition to Nintendo to have Yooka and Laylee be in the Fighter's Pass. These characters were created by people who worked on Banjo-Kazooie and their game has the same atmosphere as the old BK games.

If you paused the Direct when they were showing off Spirits, one of the pages of spirits had a Spirit based on Shadow Queen Peach from Thousand Year Door, so they are adding Paper Mario characters to the game, but as Spirits. ;)

Yeah, but it's not the same. I love the spirits idea. I'm probably one of the few who like the idea over trophies since you could add an endless supply of them and can be equipped. Trophies were cool to read about, but this brings something new to the table.

Also, was I the only one who noticed that the Owain spirit (in Chrom) kept taunting the opponent? Omg, that seems like something he would do! xD

3 hours ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I wish we could get the Kingdom Hearts franchise in Smash but that's not happening either. Sora and Riku and Mickey are Disney properties and, while Nintendo has worked with Disney before, Kingdom Hearts is Square-Enix's child and since Kingdom Hearts III is not coming to Switch, the Kingdom Hearts series is never got to be on Nintendo platforms and therefore Sora will never be in Smash except in fan games. 

Kingdom Hearts has been on Nintendo before though - the original Chain of Memories, Dream Drop Distance, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded - so never say never to Sora being in Smash

• Like 1

Just now, Mesopithecus said:

Kingdom Hearts has been on Nintendo before though - the original Chain of Memories, Dream Drop Distance, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded - so never say never to Sora being in Smash

I know that, but the MAIN GAMES(original Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II) were Playstation exclusives and that's what people think of when they think of Kingdom Hearts games. Of course, I won't say that Sephiroth isn't gonna be one of the DLC fighters since Cloud is in Smash, but unless Nintendo bribes Disney with a ton of cash, I am not holding my breath. Cloud was in Smash because he was a fan favorite. Still, if they put Reynn and Lann in as Spirits, I will be shocked and hopeful that Nintendo will ask Kingdom Hearts III to be ported to the Switch. ;)

That said, I don't mind what happens next or what the DLC is right now. I am just glad that some of my favorite characters from Nintendo are in the game. I will definitely be trying to master the Mario princesses and maybe try Isabelle for fun. ^_^

Heads up all people in the € zone that want Smash digitally: Nintendo has upped the Smash price from €60 to €70, "because". It's still €60 physically, and other regions don't seem to have this discrepancy.

Shame, because this is the first Smash I'm interested in since the GameCube one, but I only want it digitally, and not for such a price.

Loved the piranha plant fighter in the Direct, though. Didn't really care for the other announced fighters.

4 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I know that, but the MAIN GAMES(original Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II) were Playstation exclusives and that's what people think of when they think of Kingdom Hearts games. Of course, I won't say that Sephiroth isn't gonna be one of the DLC fighters since Cloud is in Smash, but unless Nintendo bribes Disney with a ton of cash, I am not holding my breath. Cloud was in Smash because he was a fan favorite. Still, if they put Reynn and Lann in as Spirits, I will be shocked and hopeful that Nintendo will ask Kingdom Hearts III to be ported to the Switch. ;)

That said, I don't mind what happens next or what the DLC is right now. I am just glad that some of my favorite characters from Nintendo are in the game. I will definitely be trying to master the Mario princesses and maybe try Isabelle for fun. ^_^

It doesn't matter if it's a "main game" or a "side game", which don't even exist for the KH series in my opinion. Square Enix already has one of their properties in Smash with Cloud so it wouldn't be surprising to see another considering how often they work together. I would say Sora is just as much of a fan favorite as Cloud but once again just my opinion. Not only that but Nomura has stated multiple times in interviews that he'd love to see KH3 come to the Switch. At this point it's only a matter of time before it makes it there. 

At this we can totally agree. It might take until 2020, but I am certain that Square-Enix will do their darned best to get Kingdom Hearts' big titles(The Story So Far) to the Nintendo audience one day and we'd both love to see Sora in either the Ultimate DLC or a future Smash game(which Sakurai will probably be forced to do when Nintendo decides to up their ante in 2020 ;))

Edited by DragonQuest238
  • Like 1

On 01/11/2018 at 11:19 AM, SnowxSakura said:

Not really, it was pretty underwhelming. The new "adventure" mode just looks like a board game with versus matches, was hoping for a more platforming adventure mode like melee or subspace

exactly this. my buddy is obsessed with switch and smash and yes I'm buying it but its underwhelming to me. I've yet to find a game other than Mario Odyssey I thoroughly enjoy on the switch. Octo is okay. Zelda was meh. yes. meh. and smash wont be one. I'll beat story mode. play around a bit and that's it. Smash is a low tier fighting game in the online community.