Why do people hate this game so much?

Sicho

On 11/19/2018 at 1:47 PM, Sicho said:

That's definitely not something you can hold against the game. Bethesda is always very careful with Lore, Elder Scrolls is a perfect example of that. There is some retroactive continuity in the Fallout games but never something major that would render any of the older main series games moot or non-canon. 

Lmao, Bethesda being careful with the lore. Here's a list that I come up with. 

Skyrim:

- Septims being found in Draugr crypts inside urns and on Draugr.

-these crypts predate the Septim Dynasty, and several in game remained untouched until the Dragonborn comes along. 

Fallout 3:

-Caps as currency (and in fallout 4).

-Literally Fallout 2 and in particular Fallout: New Vegas had a better economic system. Why is it that Obsidian with fallout new vegas, can show the some sort of progression of post war America while Bethesda has everyone using caps as accepted currency.

-Vault 87 super mutants are making more super mutants even though they seem to be more unintelligent than the west coast. 

Fallout 4: 

- Jet being inventedd before the events of fallout even though it was invented in Fallout 2 by that one kid where he used Brahmin Feces. 

- The Brotherhood of Steel blowing up the institute and fighting the Railroad.

-The brotherhood want to keep technology, why would they destroy Synths?!?! Plus the Institute is a goldmine for tech as well.

-There's a radiant sidequest where one of the doctors wants you to collect technical files. 

-Liberty prime is an AI.

- Institute has and is improving pre war tech. 

- Mr. Handy's,  are the literal pre war equivalent of Synths, yet I do not see them actively destroying Mr.Handys.

-That one quest with the ghoul kid locked in the fridge with no food or water.

-THEY STILL NEED FOOD AND WATER, Fallout 3 had at least ghouls running about in underground.

- Necropolis (taking the water chip) in fallout 1

-Why is there a farm (the slog) run by ghouls in fallout 4 even though they can apparently survive just on radiation. 

Fallout 76: 

The supermutants: You can't just dump FEV into the water, you need someone developing them, or at least instructions left behind to help create one.

- How do you think supermutants came onto the west and east coast.

- Vault 87 super mutants were created by by the vault dudes, and in turn, they in turn started to people into the vault to turn them into the supermutants

-which doesn't make sense as Fallout 3 super mutants are canonically not as smart as the west mutants, which brings up how do they even know how to do it (but this is a          tangent.

-Boston mutants were set loose by the institute (which is weird as there should be not much super mutants in the area by the time of Fallout 4 as the brotherhood had already established themselves in D.C).

- West coast was created by the master. 

Edited by wackt1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nyonmyan said:

Because people grew up with Star Wars, Diablo and Fallout. It's kinda hard to not get emotional when IP, that you cherished for decades, is bought by soulless suits and raped for quick profit.

nah sorry, but ... not acceptable.

I get it that feelings aren't often logical or rational but it still doesn't excuse this kind of behavior. I also grew up with many things that I cherished that are gone now or only a shadow of their former self or moved in a direction I don't like but I don't go around sending death threats or bullying people or having meltdowns on the internet!

In the end, it's only an entertainment product and they actually shouldn't be important or relevant in some one's life... or at least not that important that you become a miserable person because of them! Especially when there are so many alternatives to go to if one franchise or movie or whatever turns to shit. (f.ex.: don't like the new Fallouts? Play Wasteland 2 then and look forward to Wasteland 3)

I have no interest in playing it. No NPCs in the open and the questlines seem a little, eh, from what I've watched.

Also level requirements for using weapons???

I'll maybe get it when it's on sale at some point in a few years and when private servers are definitely a thing. Not gonna bash it, but I don't think I'll go out and buy it any time soon.

5 hours ago, Sicho said:

I get it that feelings aren't often logical or rational but it still doesn't excuse this kind of behavior. I also grew up with many things that I cherished that are gone now or only a shadow of their former self or moved in a direction I don't like but I don't go around sending death threats or bullying people or having meltdowns on the internet!

In the end, it's only an entertainment product and they actually shouldn't be important or relevant in some one's life... or at least not that important that you become a miserable person because of them! Especially when there are so many alternatives to go to if one franchise or movie or whatever turns to shit. (f.ex.: don't like the new Fallouts? Play Wasteland 2 then and look forward to Wasteland 3)

Wasteland 3 HYPE almost forgot about that! 

23 minutes ago, Drakhaon-slayer said:

I'm having a right blast with this game. It's fun to play with others but I've also enjoyed wandering the map on my own.  I've come across no game breaking glitches or issues. It is what it is, it's fallout with a twist. Loving it. 

Pretty much the same. Had about 4 disconnects and one lag for about 15 seconds. Other than that pretty smooth. I don't give a fuck what people say, it plays just like a fallout game, and I like it.

13 hours ago, Sicho said:

If it's only entertainment and not important, then why are you stressing out over people hating on the game?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sicho said:

No they had a chance to redeem themselves and they blew It.Fallout 4 was disappointing for many, and now not only do they split the community,by making a MP only Fallout game that no one asked for.But also the same Issues from Fallout 4 carries over to Fallout 76 with almost no Improvements, and they charge 60 dollars for this shit with Microtransactions? sorry man stuff like this Is not acceptable In 2018.You are asking me and others to buy a game and play It before I can have a opinion on It? I don't need to buy It to form a opinion, the game Itself have shown me enough.It's not a good game and far from "next gen".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sicho said:

Outside of the game itself, cause I haven't played it nor do I intend to, you have to have a bit of give and take in discussions like this. I get that you want to get your point across to some maybe overly stubborn people, but in this thread I've seen quite a lot of replies from you and others saying what's quoted above or something very similar.

Wish I could walk around all the time just straight up tell people they're wrong and their opinion is unacceptable with a badge of justice and honour!

Focusing on the game now, even though I'm not a huge fallout fan and only dabbled in the series, I have played enough Bethesda games to know that regardless of a new format like Fallout 76 and multiplayer and other new avenues for their series, it's pretty clear to me and lots of others now that their engine looks very dated and not up to scratch with current AAA standards and other big releases of the year.

If their next developed game is not a big graphical and performance leap I don't think anyone will care what type of game it is or what franchise, after a while they will fall behind and people will realise and stop paying for it.

Refusing against comparing this to God of War and Red Dead 2 earlier in the thread might make some sense because of the different genre and gameplay, but if more Red Deads and God of Wars and Horizons keep coming out, Bethesda will have no excuses left for their deficits in gameplay and graphical performance compared to these new titles. The metacritic score might be a bit harsh, but I believe you have to take into account other huge games coming out at the same time, and this is vastly behind in comparison, so maybe people shouldn't be outraged or surprised.

11 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

If it's only entertainment and not important, then why are you stressing out over people hating on the game?

I'm just trying to understand how or why people go to such lows like downvoting games they don't even own/play, bullying people online or even sending death threats just because they happen to not like a video game ... the fact that I like the game was added to this discussion because it makes me even more perplex, since it makes it even harder for me to understand how this product can trigger such strong emotions/reactions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sicho said:

I'm just trying to understand how or why people go to such lows like downvoting games they don't even own/play, bullying people online or even sending death threats just because they happen to not like a video game ... the fact that I like the game was added to this discussion because it makes me even more perplex, since it makes it even harder for me to understand how this product can trigger such strong emotions/reactions.

It's because some people are just absolute dipshits, simple as that really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sicho said:

but I have this feeling that it didn't use to be like that ...

True it didn't. The Internet has made people feel like it's ok to carry on like this because they're anonymous and feel like there will be no consequences for the stupid things they say or do. Plus it's easier to do these things when you're not actually facing the person you're spewing this crap at.

• Like 1

Answer is simple, everyone loved fallout for it's atmosphere and NPCs. Guess what this game doesn't have? Both. Playing with others is ruining atmosphere too. Let me put it in another way for you, fuck this game. 
Bethesda is expecting us to pay them a full price for what should have been as multiplayer portion of the Fallout 4. 
It's like GTA V was released and after 3 years Rockstar sells online portion for full price, that sounds pretty stupid, right? 
P.S : Fan of single player Fallout games

Edited by MilanYildirim
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Bethesda has loss the touch of some passion when it comes to scrolls and fallout but in other areas like Doom and prey they are more successful.

These games (DOOM and Prey) aren't developed by Bethesda though. They just publish them.

Edited by Sicho

On 21.11.2018 at 8:10 AM, Sicho said:

If you can't handle criticism, why did you even bother making this? people here have given you the answer why many don't like and won't support Fallout 76.I don't know where you have been all this time but we expect high quality In games today.Do you think It's ok to support a game with a old outdated engine that charges 60 dollars and has microtransactions? I mean the animations certainly are not good or on par with any good AAA games that have come out.The performance Is not good and not even consistent.This game at best Is 10 dollars and that's being generous along It being a PS3 title. I know that may sound harsh but It's unfortunately true. 

Edited by Spider-Beyond
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spider-Beyond said:

If you can't handle criticism, why did you even bother making this? people here have given you the answer why many don't like and won't support Fallout 76.I don't know where you have been all this time but we expect high quality In games today.Do you think It's ok to support a game with a old outdated engine that charges 60 dollars and has microtransactions? I mean the animations certainly are not good or on par with any good AAA games that have come out.The performance Is not good and not even consistent.This game at best Is 10 dollars and that's being generous along It being a PS3 title. I know that may sound harsh but It's unfortunately true. 

reading is not your forte?

I say death threats and similar behavior is not acceptable and then you say "you can't handle criticism"... wtf??

Just get outta here kiddo, especially if you think such behavior is acceptable.

13 minutes ago, Sicho said:

reading is not your forte?

I say death threats and similar behavior is not acceptable and then you say "you can't handle criticism"... wtf??

Just get outta here kiddo, especially if you think such behavior is acceptable.

How do you expect people to react when they refuse to listen? people have the right to call them out on their bullshit.Look at the title you made "Why do people hate this game so much?"we all have been giving you good reasons why.And no I don't think death threats Is acceptable,but they do need to wake up and accept they are not doing good at all.

Edited by Spider-Beyond
  • Like 1

On 19.11.2018 at 11:46 AM, Sicho said:

Let me start by saying that I'm a bit of a Fallout Fanboy and I'd say even a Bethesda fan since I like almost everything they put out as a developer and a publisher, so I may be a bit biased.

But I simply cannot comprehend the amount of literal hate this game gets!

Sure, those that expected a full-on Fallout 5 will be disappointed. Sure, those that expected a "real" survival game may be disappointed - because it is neither one of those. Sure, the game has issues and some of these problems are stupid, well-known bugs and yes, it's ridiculous that we encounter the same issues in so many different Bethesda RPGs for years and years. Also yes, I get that the game might not look like what a lot of people expect in 2018.

But still ... downvoting it to under 3 points on metacritic? Destroying it in every gaming forum available? It's pathetic, I would even say childish and I can't shake the feeling that a lot of "kids" are simply jumping on the bandwagon without even playing the game. (or maybe it is because it needs to have Battle Royale to be considered good nowadays haha ? ) I also have the feeling that it is mainly the "f2p" Crowd that's hating this game.

I'm having fun with it. Granted, I'm not a reference for fun nor do I think that just because I have fun, "everyone" must have fun. But there is fun to be had with this game if you take it for what it is - a coop RPG! Not a survival game, not a "classic" Fallout singleplayer experience, not a storytelling game... it's a multiplayer game. It's online, it's on servers, it has other players in it, it has "typical" MMO-like quests and events ... things one had to expect as soon as they said "Online", no?

Of course, it has neither the complexity nor the ambitions of a singleplayer Fallout ... it's a spin-off. But I think that's not something to hold against the game, it shouldn't even be compared to Fallout 3, NV and 4, it should be judged on its own merits. You don't compare the MMO Elder Scrolls Online with Skyrim even though they are in the same universe and share a lot of similar gameplay aspects... they are still fundamentally different games and genres!

And there's good stuff in Fallout 76! The base building is so much better than in Fallout 4 for example. Granted, if you don't like building bases (and many didn't like it in FO4) this does nothing for you.... but why buy the game then, since that is one of its main focusses? Or start hating it and bashing the game everywhere? Just move on...

I don't want to sound like the Bethesda Defense Force but it pains me (because it might hurt the future of the game and I want it to be around for a long time) to see it getting downvoted and bashed to oblivion (not the Elder Scrolls ;) ) because I have so much fun with it: I build a really cool base, I like exploring the Wasteland (for me the "main thing" about any Bethesda RPG for me is just going in a direction and find stuff and locations), I even like the storyline so far, I like cosplaying in the game and trying on different outfits and "emoting" in front of others, I like that I can finally show my bases to other players, I like that I can coop quests with friends, I like the soundtrack and the world they build (finally colorful trees!) and I like the gameplay mechanics of the events and workshops etc.

Yes, I have encountered frustrating bugs! One of my quests is currently not progressing due to a trigger issue and I had multiple crashes! They could have done better, of course! There are many technical issues with it... but the game is still fun! It could be better but it's still a good time.. not excellent but still good! It's not the catastrophe "everyone" says it is. But I have the feeling for a long time now that in "gaming", there are only extremes... a game is either a masterpiece or a piece of shit, there doesn't seem to be room for "okay" or "solid" or other moderate ratings of games anymore ...

I personally am confident that Bethesda will make this game even more enjoyable over time. I base this on my experience with Elder Scrolls Online... really didn't like it in the beginning but it has come a long way since then, a ton of updates and patches and it is such a great game now IMO. And I really hope that Fallout 76 gets the same treatment and tons of free content and expansions in the future... but I'm very afraid that "the public" doesn't give this game the chance it deserves and Bethesda might give up on it early ... :( Even though its even one of the rare games that does Microtransactions right (purely cosmetic and tons of currency earnable in-game)

What do you think? Are you one of the few that actually like the game?

You are 100% right,you can not handle the criticism Fallout 76 Is getting.People here have made many good points,so why Is this still going?.Not everyone has given death threats to Bethesda. Again I don't agree with those people at all.And once again this Is not acceptable In 2018 hence why It's been given bad reviews and sales so far.You may not care about quality In games but others do,and they won't spend money on something that's bad or outdated,after playing games that are way beyond Fallout 76.If this game sells enough,Bethesda will never learn from their mistakes and It will ony get worse from them.

• Like 2