Why do people hate this game so much?

Sicho

I'd say it's because firstly, this latest installment to the franchise focuses on the common aspect of multiplayer games in modern gaming (from what I've heard). Secondly, this game was released in an incomplete state, bugs and glitches galore! I can't really tell if this was intended as a "rush out the door" release before Christmas since Fallout 4 was released the same month in it's release year as Fallout 76 (November 2015 - November 2018). However I do know that know many, many gamers hate it when a game is released in an unpolished condition, later having the developers fix the game with post-release patches.

LittleBigPlanet 3, anyone?

Edited by Skeptical69

4 minutes ago, Brenden said:

For whatever reason no matter how good the game is, people will hate it. People have just made an assumption and go with it. Happens a lot lately. I personally am excited to play it.

People are expecting a new Fallout 5 with tons of new NPC´s and dialogs. I'm also waiting on that, it will come one day... in 8 years or so.

But I also knew that Fallout 76 wouldn't be like that. Bethesda told us it would be different before we spent our money.

It's Fallout with Multiplayer... what's not to love, unless you hate multiplayer and in that case simply aren't the target for this game?

Not everything is made for everybody.
Should I go ahead and downvote the latest Call of Duty because I would like to have yet another one set in WWII?

I just don't get the attitude ... maybe I'm old ...

Yes I'd agree that some people are hating on it for fun or because it's the popular thing to do right now but there's a good amount that are just upset that it entirely rips out what made fallout great and just turns it into another bland survival game. Let's not even mention how buggy and broken the game is right now which in my opinion is unacceptable for a big studio such as Bethesda. They've gotten away with it more than a couple times because it's what people expect when they buy one of their titles but god forbid if it was another studio they would have been destroyed. If this was a PS3 game maybe some would give it a pass but in 2018 nah, especially if you consider all the quality games we've gotten this year such as god of war and red dead 2 just to name a few. 

• Like 4

I don't plan to play Fallout 76 not a big fan of multiplayer games but I think there a some reasons. 

1. It's different and changes a few things and most people don't like change.

2. People don't want to play a Fallout game that's based on multiplayer the Fallout games have always been a single player experience.

3. People tend to just jump on the bandwagon and hate it because it's the cool and popular thing to do.

• Like 3

It really could be as simple as the bandwagon. 

I'd like the think it's other things too. I like to think the "that's a Bethesda game" cute thing everyone says when their game is a complete mess at launch has started to grow old. I'd like to think one of the biggest developers in the industry is starting to be held to the standards others are. I'd like to think their competition has lifted the standards that we all expect as a community. I'd like to think they've chewed through their goodwill slowly with anti consumer moves. The way they pushed paid mods, the no early review stuff, the weird attempt to stop people selling their games again (even though that was swept under the rug they were testing the waters with that one) I'd like to see Bethesda put to the sword a little bit for this. It worked wonders for Assassin’s Creed. Ubi got roasted, they went away & did better. So the question is, why shouldn't the problems in a game from a developer of this magnitude be held under the microscope? 

Anyway, I still buy these games & generally like them, so I'm part of the problem, but all the people behind them honestly just piss me off. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cerulean3 said:

I don't plan to play Fallout 76 not a big fan of multiplayer games but I think there a some reasons. 

1. It's different and changes a few things and most people don't like change.

2. People don't want to play a Fallout game that's based on multiplayer the Fallout games have always been a single player experience.

that's why it's a spin-off and not the newest mainline title ... I could maybe comprehend the hate a bit if it was called Fallout 5 ...

2 minutes ago, Cerulean3 said:

3. People tend to just jump on the bandwagon and hate it because it's the cool and popular thing to do.

This.

9 minutes ago, SanhRim said:

Instead of being an lazy ass and quickly going through my profile list, check my comment history.

Whatever, wasting my time on such a dumb game topic.

yeah continue play some quality games... like Road Rage... ? 

Now THAT's a bad game... Fallout 76 is not nearly close to that kind of dumbster fire ...

7 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

it entirely rips out what made fallout great and just turns it into another bland survival game

This is where I have to disagree.
It is as "Fallout" as Fallout 3 or 4. honestly, sometimes when playing, it doesn't even feel different AT ALL.

It's basically the Fallout 4 endgame ... emphasis on ENDGAME... many people don't continue playing Fallout after the story is over but I do and build bases and hunt down lore and find out more about the world through the world itself etc... that's basically what Fallout 76 is and for me (!) that's the most "Fallout" thing a game can be.

• Like 1

From what I read from the one-star reviews on Amazon, a few of the major problems people had:

1. There was apparently a 50 GB day 1 patch and people were mad that they had to wait forever for it to download (not to mention all the space it took up) before they got to play the game.

2. Some people complained that the servers weren't stable yet so they couldn't connect (that's to be expected)

3. Complaints about how it deviates from the traditional Fallout formula, especially with the whole "No NPCs" idea.

4. People complained it was a Fallout 4 re-skin and wasn't worth $60.

5. People were surprised that they needed PS+ to even play the game and they didn't want to buy it.

6. I saw this on a Gameranx video, but apparently on base consoles (PS4 and XBOX One) the framerate and game stability is atrocious, and the reviewer said that it definitely hurt the experience for him.

I'm personally a fan of Fallout but seeing all of these issues, I'm definitely going to wait to see how Bethesda responds and improves their game. The whole "No NPCs" thing really turns me off because I mainly play games alone, so the one selling point of the game - the whole "play with your friends" mechanic - is kinda lost on me. I've never played it, but I've seen gameplay and I'm definitely hesitant, mainly because of framerate/stability issues (I know it's a Bethesda game, but that doesn't make it any better) and the idea of having no NPCs would make me feel incredibly lonely in the game (I know it's what they were "going for", it being a nuclear wasteland and all, but it still isn't exciting at all to be all alone in the world).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

As long as you're enjoying it, why does it matter if other people hate it, or if the metacritic score isn't great? There's people that love all kinds of crappy games out there, and the only thing that matters is the enjoyment.

While I in general agree with this statement, I'm always sad and annoyed if games I love and admire get hated, because if this also means they fail commercially, the chances of the franchise/series/universe being extended with some further games in the future is often lessened significantly. So I feel like the hate of these people against some game I enjoy makes the positive opinion of people like me perish and leads to the franchise beeing discontinued, the server being shutdown earlier, etc.. Which seriously interfers with my very own enjoyment of the game (e.g. if servers are shutdown early).

I experienced this for different games in the past. No idea about Fallout 76 yet however, I haven't played it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EightBitArtist said:

when you have My Name is Mayo on your account, you lose any ability to criticize what others play. just sayin'

In its genre (Clickers) it'ss one of the best IMO because of the funny writing.

But at least I'm not hating My Name is Mayo because it isn't the next Witcher 3 :D Because I'm well aware of what it is, which people don't seem to be when it comes to Fallout 76.

55 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

As long as you're enjoying it, why does it matter if other people hate it, or if the metacritic score isn't great? 

the problem is that nowadays the metacritic score matters and even defines if developers get paid https://www.gamesradar.com/now-metacritic-can-do-developers-out-of-bonus-pay-and-jobs-as-bioshock-studio-demands-metascores-on-applications/

you can imagine that some people on a board of directors or something simply look at the metacritic score and based on that they decide, if the games get continued support or not ...

so I'm afraid that if the metacritic score of the professional reviews turns out to be as bad as the user scores (because the magazines don't want to "go against the trend") then it might spell the end for Fallout 76 before it even started ... which would be a shame because I think it's such a fun experience.

• Like 1

I haven't played it and most likely won't ever. Have watched countless hours of Oxhorn's live streams and it's not interesting me much at all.

The multiplayer only, no human NPCs and the survival stuff turned me off it. So instead I'll keep waiting for Fallout 5 or whatever Fallout Bethesda does next.

• Like 1