Nintendo WiiU Recalled, GameStop No Longer Selling 8GB Version

Parker

It seems there is something wrong with Nintendo's latest console, or at least one version of it. Apparently GameStop will no longer be selling the 8GB WiiU as of June 18th. It doesn't really go into detail as to why the system is being recalled but I wonder why only the 8GB version is being recalled and not the 32GB system. What is the difference between the two other than the obvious space difference?

US retailer GameStop may not be selling the 8GB Wii U Basic as of June 18, according to information provided to Kotaku by a source the site has identified as “reliable”.

Kotaku’s source claims GameStop has contacted stores with the following message:

Nintendo Wii U Basic Recall - Two Week Preparation On Tuesday, 6/18, all stories [
sic
] will need to return all new/unopened Wii U Basic (020359).

.. Stores that have 10 or more in stock will receive shipping cartons from the [distribution center].

.. All other stores will need to save shipping cartons for this recall.

The Wii U is available in two models: 8GB and 32GB. The reason for the reported recall of the 8GB Wii U is unknown at this time.

IGN has contacted both GameStop and Nintendo for comment regarding this rumour.

Parker

Poor Nintendo... They just can't catch a break.

They caught a break on the Wii, and it still outsells the Wii U - but unfortunately they only seem to take half steps every time they progress these days and this time it simply didnt work out for them.

I read speculations that it has something to do with weak sales of this bundle. Nintendo will drop the basic model in favour of a new bundle that will be presented at E3.

Nothing is confirmed, this is all guessing. News will soon follow I suppose.

I bought the 32GB around Christmas time and seems like I did good if there removing the 8GB ones.  I think like AnRo said, Nintendo will simply re-bundle it.

I did better, I avoided the Wii U entirely and plan to buy one towards the end of the year, when it is around $50.;)

I did better, I avoided the Wii U entirely and plan to buy one towards the end of the year, when it is around $50. ;)

LOL, I hope it's $50 at the end of the year, seeing as there are a couple games I have lined up for the WiiU.

Anyway, on topic, the WiiU 8gig version was - and still is - a massive mistake on Nintendo's part in my opinion. What they should have done was a basic 32 gig one and a better 50 gig one. It's not like harddrives are THAT expensive. Right?

Edited by skinner49

I read speculations that it has something to do with weak sales of this bundle. Nintendo will drop the basic model in favour of a new bundle that will be presented at E3.

Nothing is confirmed, this is all guessing. News will soon follow I suppose.

If that's the case, I'd expect them to hang onto the consoles and them burn them off in a super sale immediately after the announcement. Unless they're planning to repurpose the parts in the unsold basic models for whatever the new configuration is, but that seems like more effort than would be profitable, especially considering the cost of the recall.

The 8 gig model was WAY too weak. It should of been the 32 gig for starters than do something like 60-100gigs for the deluxe. Hopefully they make it at least 32 gigs with an 60-100gigs for the Wii U and a nice price cut otherwise they still be in 3rd. At least Nintendo has an shot for second place :).