Anyone Hyped for Anthem?

Wavergray

Pointing out that you're wrong about  there beingloot boxes in Anthem and how "gambling" is intergrated into various games both by businesses and players isn't me playing devil's advocate. 

A comparison is about being equal or the same thing. A comparison can be about noting basic similarities even when differences exist. 

When I played WoW many of the raid bosses were called "loot pinatas". We knew the loot tables and the chances of each item. We went in hoping to get the items for our class and if multiple people wanted the same loot then the GM had use roll it. Gambling on multiple levels. 

I don't need to justify how much I spend on games or anything. There are games I want day one, so I buy them day one. Less important games get put on the backlog and purchased when I can fit them in or if a sale is just too good. The more you talk the less this is actually about Anthem. 

Put down the crystal ball and you might be up for some reasoning. 

1 hour ago, SinisterPledge said:

Not treating your playerbase/fans like shit and focusing on quality and content instead of microtransactions and paywalls is a good way to sell copies. It has nothing to do with us thinking of EA or Bioware as our "personal friends", it is about standing up to bullshit practices and letting the companies and their shareholders know that if you're going to try and milk us for every penny we have, then you're going to fail.

Of course every company needs to make a profit and investors expect their money. That doesn't mean we shouldn't let them know when they're wrong, and stop buying their trash games. You can still hold them accountable for their actions and expect better of them. There is a middle-way between entitlement and indifference.

14 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I don't know. DLC and lootboxes have kind of ruined new AAA games for me. Games are so expensive already and then I am made to feel like I am only getting half the game (for full price) it just has turned me off of new games.

I was hesitant about buying a PS4 and if games continue on this trend this will be the last system I ever buy.

5 hours ago, iamjax said:

I was all in the moment it was announced that Bioware was cooking up something, and it may not just be the C-team working on it this time around. I was out the moment I started getting Destiny vibes from it. I really hated Destiny.

These^

EA's name is poison and reason enough for me to avoid one of their games outright these days, because it will almost certainly be monetized to the hilt and broken as hell for months afterwards. Bioware have been sent out all the wrong messages regarding this game and anything that tries to copy Destiny, is an automatic no buy because I know full damn well how it will turn out i.e. soulless gameplay, a paper thin story with characters you couldn't care less about, unreliable servers, riddled with micro transactions etc. If Anthem bombs or merely underperforms relative to EA's excessively high sales expectations, then Bioware are finished and EA will close them down within a year.

• Like 2

Learn fucking what? You don't even know if there's anything wrong with the game or their plans for it. 

Who the hell does anyone learn from nothing but unmitigated, neverending punishment? 

You can't even identify the lesson to be learned in fear of reaching a point when EA does what you claim needs to happen. 

Why would anybody be hyped for anthem after the the battlefront 2 scandal, the trash that is mass effect andromeda and the lackluster bf5? A quick look at meta critic of recent ea releases and you will quickly realise there is absolutely no reason to be excited for anthem. Its probably just gonna turn into another shit show.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Whooo paywalls now. Time for the 2017 Buzzword blender 

What does paywall even mean in the context of a typical console game?  Isn't having to buy the game technically a "paywall"?  Is any kind of non-cosmetic DLC considered a paywall?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Yeah its beyond me, I'm just waiting for SWBF3 and the hype for it again.

Just ugh

I just dont understand certain people. I mean i try to but when theyre so blind theyre excited for anthem it makes me scratch my head. lol

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

What does paywall even mean in the context of a typical console game?  Isn't having to buy the game technically a "paywall"?  Is any kind of non-cosmetic DLC considered a paywall?

A paywall is when developers decide to put content on the disc that isnt in the full release but at a later date unlocked via a patch behind a paywall. Re5 is a good example.

6 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

I just dont understand certain people. I mean i try to but when theyre so blind theyre excited for anthem it makes me scratch my head. lol

Most people play games for fun.  Not to manufacture causes to fight.  From what I've played, Anthem definitely seems like a fun game.

6 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

A paywall is when developers decide to put content on the disc that isnt in the full release but at a later date unlocked via a patch behind a paywall. Re5 is a good example.

Seems like an odd thing for anyone here to accuse Anthem of doing.  There isn't even a disc yet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

But spending money which should be included in said game is a paywall.

Sounds like something wildly open to interpretation.  For one person, all content that ever gets made for a game "should be included in said game".  For another, they appreciate that additional content may cost additional money as long as the base game is a full experience, which may just mean a full single player campaign and/or the base multiplayer/endgame content.

Non-cosmetic DLC that's proven to be on the disc completed but locked until a paid patch/DLC later is another story.  How often does that really happen?

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

As I said the more that support games like this at all the more it'll happen, but as far as being fun, sure you can have fun in any game.

I love broken NES games that are terrible and bad and have fun in them but it doesnt mean they aren't broken and terrible

There's a difference between unappealing mechanics that may or may not actually impact anything in an otherwise fun game, and a game being "broken and terrible" at it's core.  If you want to let the politics of gaming consumerism take precedent over all other aspects of what makes gaming great, by all means.  You do you.  Stop pretending like people are naive or stupid because they aren't so jaded/cynical.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

There's a difference between unappealing mechanics that may or may not actually impact anything in an otherwise fun game, and a game being "broken and terrible" at it's core.  If you want to let the politics of gaming consumerism take precedent over all other aspects of what makes gaming great, by all means.  You do you.  Stop pretending like people are naive or stupid because they aren't so jaded/cynical.

How can you support something like ea though? If you were to buy a couch but knew that the material was made out of an endangered species because it makes the company alot of money but there was another exact couch in the same quality but without endangering any animals, would you still support that same shitty company?

my point is, what fun is, is all personal opinion but it doesnt change the fact that ea is a company that runs horrible business practices and is butchering video games. So why support such a company when you can buy your games elsewhere that is still the same quality if not better?

Theres no point in trying to defend ea or anthem. ea is universally hated, its a fact. Their business model sucks and they dont care about their consumers at all. All they care about is making their shareholders happy and their wallets fat.

• Like 2

I am in the negative hype-zone for the game personally, as in I am negatively pre-disposed towards it.

It looks like just another game cut from the cloth of Destiny and it's ilk, designed to trap you with repetitive gameplay and an obscene grind so that it can sell microtransactions. (Note, I'm not opposed to these gameplay loops per se, Monster Hunter World is excellent.) And it's published by EA, so you know that the MTX will be particularly gouging. 

Plus the theme just doesn't grab me. Another sci-fi third person shooter? Sure, it looks pretty enough, but it hardly looks imaginative or new in any way, to me at least. 

I'd happy to be proved wrong, and will read reviews and what have you once it's out, but my pre-release hype levels are below zero at this point. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

How can you support something like ea though? If you were to buy a couch but knew that the material was made out of an endangered species because it makes the company alot of money but there was another exact couch in the same quality but without endangering any animals, would you still support that same shitty company?

my point is, what fun is, is all personal opinion but it doesnt change the fact that ea is a company that runs horrible business practices and is butchering video games. So why support such a company when you can buy your games elsewhere that is still the same quality if not better?

Theres no point in trying to defend ea or anthem. ea is universally hated, its a fact. Their business model sucks and they dont care about their consumers at all. All they care about is making their shareholders happy and their wallets fat.

Endangering a species of animal is quite a different story.

If the game is fun, I don't see the harm in it.  It's probably worth the money to me.  If it's not worth the money to me, I don't spend said money.  And all is right in the world.

What people hate or perceive as horrible business practices or butchering video games is of little interest to me.  The gaming community has proven time and time again to blow everything out of proportion.  I'll judge for myself.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Endangering a species of animal is quite a different story.

If the game is fun, I don't see the harm in it.  It's probably worth the money to me.  If it's not worth the money to me, I don't spend said money.  And all is right in the world.

What people hate or perceive as horrible business practices or butchering video games is of little interest me.  The gaming community has proven time and time again to blow everything out of proportion.  I'll judge for myself.

I guess you havent been following the news lately with ea then if you think gamers are blowing everything out of proportion.

Look how fast this topic turned into another "fuck EA don't buy their games" shit show, very original. He asked if anyone was excited for anthem not how you feel about EA there's at least twenty other forums where you guys expressed how you feel about them why can't this one just remain for people that are excited for the game? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NekoRave said:

Its why indie devs have more interesting ideas and concepts, because a third person sci-fi shooter isn't really creative at this point.

I want to see new games not just a halfhearted clone that screams generic as fuck

Definitely agree with this sentiment. Some of my favourite games have been indies from the last few years. Either that, or Sony exclusives when it comes to AAA games.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Yes by miles indie devs actually have passion for game development,

We're getting off topic, but I don't think this is a fair assessment. My guess is that many game devs, even in AAA, are passionate about what they do. Or at least as much as the general population is passionate about their jobs at any rate. My hunch would be that many of them are just as upset as the gamers when the publisher asks them to add post-launch monetisation mechanics to the games they have helped create. 

13 minutes ago, Nieird said:

Im not hype only because I know I wont have time to play it.

Another great point - all of these "live service" type games put me off now. I know that I am a completionist and that I get trapped into grind loops quite easily. I now actively avoid many games of this type, as I know from experience that they can end up having a big impact on the rest of my life through lack of sleep if I'm not careful. 

37 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Probably because if you are excited for it, its probably a bad idea lol.

But I'm just here stating my own viewpoint, no need to have a blind exclusive anthem party where we self hype each other up for a flop.

I consider it a nice service to at least let people know its crap before they get burned and go GEE WHAT HAPPENED.

everyone has diverse perspectives on the game, so considering how bad EA is as a company, I'm more surprised people fall for the same lure bait and trap still.

Can't blame the people for hating to be burned and expressing it though, probably hate the fact that supporters of said game will supply the same low grade uninteresting or innovative shovelware titles.

I'd disagree that most have a "diverse" perspective on the game as almost all the opinions I've seen on this forum alone are almost all the same. 

I've bought several EA games over the past few years and I don't agree with their business practices but what do I do? I just don't participate by buying micro transactions I don't go on forums crying about how bad they are because that's not gonna change anything. 

While anthem may not be very innovative I'm excited nonetheless because it looks like a fun co op shooter that me and my friends can enjoy playing. I'll reserve judgement until the game is out and I've tried it for myself but this mob mentality of hating on something and hoping it burns before even giving it a chance is quite childish. 

Unlike most these days I can think for myself and I don't follow the masses blindly. I don't see how being interested in something Is a "bad idea" especially considering that not a single person here has played the full game yet but calling it trash. 

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

In that regard all forum posts are pointless lol 

And its not childish because I have my own preferences and standards that are different than your own.

I'm not "following any masses" I follow consistency.

And you can clearly look at the gameplay and see its trash, but imo its a bad idea tk buy the game day one that will inevitably be on sale shortly after.

But by all means you can buy the game day one with friends and support a game that'll be half off and waste half your money supporting shitty companies.

Its the very same support that has them making this shit to begin with.

And I'd argue that buying games that are clearly cash grabs are what masses do FYI, people have valid reasons to not support EA or Bioware, and see gameplay and dodge Anthem. 

Imo its have common sense or a brain but people will buy anything as time proves that and we have 3  season passes for a game that used to include everything.

Just because you dont buy the MTS lootboxes doesnt mean you aren't funding them to make more shovelware.

Looking at something and experiencing it for yourself are two different things.

What's your argument here that they make shit games or that they have bad business practices? 

I also don't get why you're calling it a cash grab when the game isn't trying to capitalize or even cash off of anything. It's been in development since 2012 that's 7 years and on top of that it's a new ip which we rarely see nowadays. So it shows that Bioware are willing to take risks and come up with something new. 

I'm not funding nor encouraging anything. It's quite simple actually, make a good game and I'll buy it, make a bad one and I won't buy it.  

Edited by NaseemJohn