soultaker655

Anyone Hyped for Anthem?

118 posts in this topic

I didn't care about Anthem before playing the Alpha version, but now I'm certain that I'll never play another minute of it. :)

nice graphics, boring as hell gameplay and soulless to the core. this is just my impression after seeing some videos of it. maybe I'm wrong, but like many of you said before, let's wait and see

You seriously can't compare in game rng items to buying rng lootboxes its absolutely insane to do that imo.

I made the comparison and explained it for 3 different games. All you can do is repeat that you think it's insane while giving no reasoning or explanation.

I vaguely mentioned destiny as far as the game being shit and anthem also more than likely being a pile of shit.

I, again, explained why just being like another game is not enough to judge quality.

I'm not saying rng isn't involved in lootboxes but in game items being rng can't compare to spending $1000 to get an item in a game.

Except my examples of Diablo and WoW have people paying more for items on their respective Auction Houses. If we make it just about players then billions of dollars are made from players selling CSGO skins to other players. So yes, comparing works.

Considering the fact cosmetics were not unlockable to begin with shows EAs push to add lootboxes in many of their future titles.

Fact? That's something lacking from every post you make. You have no source on what is or isn't unlockable in the game. There has only been hints that there would be some way to buy colors/shaders. That doesn't automatcallyu mean there's no in-game way to earn extra colors or shaders.

Its an action based shooter that imo won't be that great.

That's a very poor way to express an opinion.

If it turns out to be a polished piece of shit, well its still shit, but polished.

Also not to mention bioware hasn't been good in ages and I can not justify spending $60 on hot trash.

No logic is being used here. 

7 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

I made the comparison and explained it for 3 different games. All you can do is repeat that you think it's insane while giving no reasoning or explanation.

I, again, explained why just being like another game is not enough to judge quality.

Except my examples of Diablo and WoW have people paying more for items on their respective Auction Houses. If we make it just about players then billions of dollars are made from players selling CSGO skins to other players. So yes, comparing works.

Fact? That's something lacking from every post you make. You have no source on what is or isn't unlockable in the game. There has only been hints that there would be some way to buy colors/shaders. That doesn't automatcallyu mean there's no in-game way to earn extra colors or shaders.

That's a very poor way to express an opinion.

No logic is being used here. 

Why are you playing devils advocate for EA?

What's the gain here I dont get it.

Its insane for obvious logical reasons, you are comparing a money making scam to shit you can unlock in games with rng.

Its EA, its Bioware, I stated they usually make fucking shit lol so thats enough for me to judge quality and the fact I saw gameplay footage and its a hard pass as I stated.

Just because you can sell in game items that you earned to a person isn't equally as bad as them being locked behind a paywall.

I dont understand that logic there.

In game rng items are not the same as buying a box that won't contain and item over and over with real money which makes a profit and less likelyhood of them ever have in game unlockables.

I dont need a source of what's unlockable or not, they stated they are going to charge gamers for aesthetic items meaning, you pay for them not unlock them.

The point was you pay for shit that should be in the game, so although its been fun playing devils advocate, let's be a tiny bit realistic and less idealistic for a company known for shitting on people and a developer which sold their soul to the devil himself.

I think its a poor way to defend a game everyone is bound to dislike and be on sale for a small penny after release.

You just can't justify paying $60 for a game day one these days, thats the real gamble here, and not one I'd ever take

Pointing out that you're wrong about  there beingloot boxes in Anthem and how "gambling" is intergrated into various games both by businesses and players isn't me playing devil's advocate. 

A comparison is about being equal or the same thing. A comparison can be about noting basic similarities even when differences exist. 

When I played WoW many of the raid bosses were called "loot pinatas". We knew the loot tables and the chances of each item. We went in hoping to get the items for our class and if multiple people wanted the same loot then the GM had use roll it. Gambling on multiple levels. 

I don't need to justify how much I spend on games or anything. There are games I want day one, so I buy them day one. Less important games get put on the backlog and purchased when I can fit them in or if a sale is just too good. The more you talk the less this is actually about Anthem. 

Put down the crystal ball and you might be up for some reasoning. 

1 hour ago, SinisterPledge said:

Not treating your playerbase/fans like shit and focusing on quality and content instead of microtransactions and paywalls is a good way to sell copies. It has nothing to do with us thinking of EA or Bioware as our "personal friends", it is about standing up to bullshit practices and letting the companies and their shareholders know that if you're going to try and milk us for every penny we have, then you're going to fail.

Of course every company needs to make a profit and investors expect their money. That doesn't mean we shouldn't let them know when they're wrong, and stop buying their trash games. You can still hold them accountable for their actions and expect better of them. There is a middle-way between entitlement and indifference.

14 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I don't know. DLC and lootboxes have kind of ruined new AAA games for me. Games are so expensive already and then I am made to feel like I am only getting half the game (for full price) it just has turned me off of new games.

I was hesitant about buying a PS4 and if games continue on this trend this will be the last system I ever buy.

5 hours ago, iamjax said:

I was all in the moment it was announced that Bioware was cooking up something, and it may not just be the C-team working on it this time around. I was out the moment I started getting Destiny vibes from it. I really hated Destiny.

These^

EA's name is poison and reason enough for me to avoid one of their games outright these days, because it will almost certainly be monetized to the hilt and broken as hell for months afterwards. Bioware have been sent out all the wrong messages regarding this game and anything that tries to copy Destiny, is an automatic no buy because I know full damn well how it will turn out i.e. soulless gameplay, a paper thin story with characters you couldn't care less about, unreliable servers, riddled with micro transactions etc. If Anthem bombs or merely underperforms relative to EA's excessively high sales expectations, then Bioware are finished and EA will close them down within a year.

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Pointing out that you're wrong about  there beingloot boxes in Anthem and how "gambling" is intergrated into various games both by businesses and players isn't me playing devil's advocate. 

A comparison is about being equal or the same thing. A comparison can be about noting basic similarities even when differences exist. 

When I played WoW many of the raid bosses were called "loot pinatas". We knew the loot tables and the chances of each item. We went in hoping to get the items for our class and if multiple people wanted the same loot then the GM had use roll it. Gambling on multiple levels. 

I don't need to justify how much I spend on games or anything. There are games I want day one, so I buy them day one. Less important games get put on the backlog and purchased when I can fit them in or if a sale is just too good. The more you talk the less this is actually about Anthem. 

Put down the crystal ball and you might be up for some reasoning. 

Well its hardly wrong considering its how EA does business.

Lootboxes being being a paywall is still not the same as playing the game and getting items randomly.

But about anthem, the more you buy day one supporting practices like this well, the more it'll happen.

I dont need a crystal ball tho to see what quality EA's games have.

Its about consistency.

Anyways regardless if you get it or not doesnt bother me none, I was voicing my opinion originally out of satire not really to debate what constitutes a label of lootboxes and how its no different than single player games with RNG items.

Imo diablo, WoW, borderlands as you mentioned have RNG but its hardly invasive and its nothing in the sorts of gambling.

You dont need to spend hundreds of dollars to get those items, you just need to play the game.

But yes you are definitely playing devils advocate for anthem which is fine, but I dont understand why you are doing so.

You dont need sources and concrete evidence etc to know consistency of games being developed by both EA and Bioware.

I dont buy into the hype and I also dont think the gameplay from what I saw is anything but generic and run of the mill souless EA quality game.

You dont need a crystal ball to see gameplay tho ;)

Edited by NekoRave

Same again? Read what I said over. 

No matter how many times you say it you don't know the future.  You can't even get the precense of loot boxes in Anthem or its marketing plans. 

Whooo paywalls now. Time for the 2017 Buzzword blender 

4 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Same again? Read what I said over. 

No matter how many times you say it you don't know the future.  You can't even get the precense of loot boxes in Anthem or its marketing plans. 

Pretty sure I grasp the concept of paying money for MTS in game items vs playing and unlocking them.

But sure.

No matter how many times you say read in a condescending manner it doesnt make your argument anymore valid.

You are beginning to sound like the CEO of EA tho lmao.

WHOOO PAYWALLS

Yeah if you dont see that as a problem lol idk what to tell ya.

Also you can plainly see EAs marketing plans, its all over their dead stock and integrated forced dlc and lootboxes that's really a nice way of saying, we cut up your game in a billions of pieces and anything you want content wise you can gamble to earn.

That being said the games going to be shit and I dont need to "know the future" I just need to know EA and how consistent they are with shit games, that and Bioware which is a shadow of its former self.

Plenty of other great titles coming out versus spending $60 on am EA game day one which will have day 1 bugs and patches as it normally does.

I will not justify lootboxes ever, and its something you seriously need to stop playing devils advocate for.

Everyone by now knows how EA has been and this game will be no different than the rest because Bioware is doing it.

You can by all means wait till it comes out and flops and I'll be here to say told ya so, but no need for that when you have common intuition on what's going to be a decent game and how to avoid being in the hole $60 for a game that doesn't deserve $60.

The more people buy into this the more crap sells and the more crap goes on the market.

Neither Bioware or EA will learn anything anyways, but I'm at least speaking with my wallet.

I'll see you in the Konami thread next tho

Learn fucking what? You don't even know if there's anything wrong with the game or their plans for it. 

Who the hell does anyone learn from nothing but unmitigated, neverending punishment? 

You can't even identify the lesson to be learned in fear of reaching a point when EA does what you claim needs to happen. 

Just now, TJ_Solo said:

Learn fucking what? You don't even know if there's anything wrong with the game or their plans for it. 

Who the hell does anyone learn from nothing but unmitigated, neverending punishment? 

You can't even identify the lesson to be learned in fear of reaching a point when EA does what you claim needs to happen

Made it pretty dang clear but "what's wrong with the game?" As ive said 

>saw gameplay

>its shit

>not a good game

>lootboxes

>EA

>trash Bioware

>pass

What do you need simplified for you?

games are a matter of preference but if you love garbage games and lootboxes youll love anthem.

https://ibb.co/Y7PNmH9

Posted (edited)

Why would anybody be hyped for anthem after the the battlefront 2 scandal, the trash that is mass effect andromeda and the lackluster bf5? A quick look at meta critic of recent ea releases and you will quickly realise there is absolutely no reason to be excited for anthem. Its probably just gonna turn into another shit show.

Edited by UlvenFenrir

Just now, UlvenFenrir said:

Why would anybody be hyped for anthem after the the battlefront 2 scandal, the trash that is mass effect andromeda and the lackluster bf5? A quick look at meta critic and you will quickly realise there is absolutely no reason to be excited for anthem. Its probably just gonna turn into another shit show.

Yeah its beyond me, I'm just waiting for SWBF3 and the hype for it again.

Just ugh

24 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

What does paywall even mean in the context of a typical console game?  Isn't having to buy the game technically a "paywall"?  Is any kind of non-cosmetic DLC considered a paywall?

4 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Yeah its beyond me, I'm just waiting for SWBF3 and the hype for it again.

Just ugh

I just dont understand certain people. I mean i try to but when theyre so blind theyre excited for anthem it makes me scratch my head. lol

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

What does paywall even mean in the context of a typical console game?  Isn't having to buy the game technically a "paywall"?  Is any kind of non-cosmetic DLC considered a paywall?

A paywall is when developers decide to put content on the disc that isnt in the full release but at a later date unlocked via a patch behind a paywall. Re5 is a good example.

6 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

I just dont understand certain people. I mean i try to but when theyre so blind theyre excited for anthem it makes me scratch my head. lol

Most people play games for fun.  Not to manufacture causes to fight.  From what I've played, Anthem definitely seems like a fun game.

6 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

A paywall is when developers decide to put content on the disc that isnt in the full release but at a later date unlocked via a patch behind a paywall. Re5 is a good example.

Seems like an odd thing for anyone here to accuse Anthem of doing.  There isn't even a disc yet.

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Lmao buying a game a paywall?

You serious?

No buying the game you buy the game, theres no paywall there.

But spending money which should be included in said game is a paywall.

Some dlcs can be paywalls as well.

Some in game options to proceed past a certain point is a paywall 

(Like FFVANE spending $30,000 to be #1)

You shouldnt trivialize the issue like there isn't any by stating " isn't paying for the maim game a paywall" dont be silly, thats the base game.

There used to never be the term "base game" used to be just "a game" but season passes and dlc and all that integrated into modern gaming as the norm, now buying lootboxes for cosmetic items is "rational" when there is NO RATIONAL FORM OF LOOTBOXES.

Lmao

Rational MTS mfw.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Most people play games for fun.  Not to manufacture causes to fight.  From what I've played, Anthem definitely seems like a fun game.

Seems like an odd thing for anyone here to accuse Anthem of doing.  There isn't even a disc yet.

Yes if buying and supporting the lootbox system in games is fun then by all means have fun having more lootboxes by supporting such practices and contributing to it.

You can have fun playing it sure but don't rationalize what is being done here to scam gamers for every penny in various forms.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

But spending money which should be included in said game is a paywall.

Sounds like something wildly open to interpretation.  For one person, all content that ever gets made for a game "should be included in said game".  For another, they appreciate that additional content may cost additional money as long as the base game is a full experience, which may just mean a full single player campaign and/or the base multiplayer/endgame content.

Non-cosmetic DLC that's proven to be on the disc completed but locked until a paid patch/DLC later is another story.  How often does that really happen?

Edited by Dreakon13

To me it seems like a more boring and more expensive Warframe. I'll pass. That's not something I'd want from BioWare, and especially not since EA is hovering over this.

I'm going to pass. Looks a lot like Destiny and I didn't like that game.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Sounds like something wildly open to interpretation.  For one person, all content that ever gets made for a game "should be included in said game".  For another, they appreciate that additional content may cost additional money as long as the base game is a full experience, which may just mean a full single player campaign.

Non-cosmetic DLC that's proven to be on the disc completed but locked until a paid patch/DLC later is another story.  How often does that really happen?

Theres a big difference between dlc made as an expansion and dlc made to make a profit.

The dlc I'm talking about is in the likes of Sims 4 dlc where you pay $40 per part which is just shit that should have been in Sims 4

Also made by EA.

but anyways the supply and demand economic 101 rule applies here.

The more people that buy it, the more of said product will surface.

And not that far long ago you can remember times without multiple season passes per game and asking yourself " is the dlc I'm paying for stuff taken out of the main game and sold again for profit?"

As I said the more that support games like this at all the more it'll happen, but as far as being fun, sure you can have fun in any game.

I love broken NES games that are terrible and bad and have fun in them but it doesnt mean they aren't broken and terrible

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

As I said the more that support games like this at all the more it'll happen, but as far as being fun, sure you can have fun in any game.

I love broken NES games that are terrible and bad and have fun in them but it doesnt mean they aren't broken and terrible

There's a difference between unappealing mechanics that may or may not actually impact anything in an otherwise fun game, and a game being "broken and terrible" at it's core.  If you want to let the politics of gaming consumerism take precedent over all other aspects of what makes gaming great, by all means.  You do you.  Stop pretending like people are naive or stupid because they aren't so jaded/cynical.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

There's a difference between unappealing mechanics that may or may not actually impact anything in an otherwise fun game, and a game being "broken and terrible" at it's core.  If you want to let the politics of gaming consumerism take precedent over all other aspects of what makes gaming great, by all means.  You do you.  Stop pretending like people are naive or stupid because they aren't so jaded/cynical.

I'm not a cynic just a realistic when it comes to broken and terrible games.

By that logic Star Wars battlefront isn't a broken terrible game because to doesnt get in the way of having fun.

I dont let politics of gaming dictate shit btw, I'm saying if you support games like this dont be surprised more pop up.

I have a standard of games for what's shit or not that's called a personal preference, but I prefer to not play shitty broken day 1 terrible EA shovelware.

but if you think playing shitty broken day 1 terrible EA shovelware is fun, then eat up the hottest garbage for $60.

People who buy it imo aren't stupid but have a different preference, never stated anyone is "dumb" for buying anthem.

Despite the phrase "you are what you eat" states, I believe if you love anthem well we just have different standards is all.

I won't buy games marketed to make a profit with absolutely no soul at the core of the game.

Just because you like anthem already doesnt mean defending practices like "well buying games are paywalls" because its not anywhere remotely close to the truth.

Its generally accepted that people love AAA shit but I find it odd with all the information out there people defend games like this.

But yeah man you do you at the end it doesnt matter in the long run because EA learned a long time ago people will buy whatever shit they produce

5 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

How can you support something like ea though? If you were to buy a couch but knew that the material was made out of an endangered species because it makes the company alot of money but there was another exact couch in the same quality but without endangering any animals, would you still support that same shitty company?

my point is, what fun is, is all personal opinion but it doesnt change the fact that ea is a company that runs horrible business practices and is butchering video games. So why support such a company when you can buy your games elsewhere that is still the same quality if not better?

Theres no point in trying to defend ea or anthem. ea is universally hated, its a fact. Their business model sucks and they dont care about their consumers at all. All they care about is making their shareholders happy and their wallets fat.

I am in the negative hype-zone for the game personally, as in I am negatively pre-disposed towards it.

It looks like just another game cut from the cloth of Destiny and it's ilk, designed to trap you with repetitive gameplay and an obscene grind so that it can sell microtransactions. (Note, I'm not opposed to these gameplay loops per se, Monster Hunter World is excellent.) And it's published by EA, so you know that the MTX will be particularly gouging. 

Plus the theme just doesn't grab me. Another sci-fi third person shooter? Sure, it looks pretty enough, but it hardly looks imaginative or new in any way, to me at least. 

I'd happy to be proved wrong, and will read reviews and what have you once it's out, but my pre-release hype levels are below zero at this point.