Is this game actually worth it??

spaceofjade

10 hours ago, jadethealmighty said:

It's literally just the cost of 2.8 that's really putting me off. I've always felt like the remasters are a bit of a joke price wise 

they are a joke. took me up until now and even luck with Amazon to get it for 25.99 CDN$. 

perhaps try Amazon.

as for whether KH3 is worth it, sure. but I dont think it does or could live up to the hype. The story doesnt even ramp up until you complete all the worlds except the last. it's just bits peppered in here and there...

The real story begins after the disney worlds imho. Every question I had in the last 12 years got an answer.

I think kh3 is awesome. If you followed the storyline of the past, you'll love the long cutscenes. Kh isnt about the gameplay - really, kh was always easy af - on vet mode too, if you comepare it with other jrpgs.

If you didnt play the game for the story, you wont be amused I think. 

Oh - and frozen is a very short part. Most of the worlds are bigger - especially carribean, toybox and tangled.

Oh - and i'm glad that i dont have to visit agrabah a 3rd time :')

14 hours ago, madbuk said:

Magic isn't tied to levels, so you'd still get cure/cura/curaga. I don't think you'd ever get withstand combo or second chance though, so it should still be a challenge.

Whoops, my mistake. Somehow I didn't notice that the story progress rewards (like cure) don't come with a level increase.

12 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

There was not an overfocus on Frozen. the world is no longer than any other, it just sucks as a world and shouldn't exist since it added nothing. Even the KH main story didn't really need it's addition. Pirates in comparison makes Frozen look like total filler.

Hopefully I won't find it a total bore and can at least enjoy the charm of it. As for the Frozen world not existing, there was no reality where the highest-grossing animated movie ever wouldn't get a world in KH3.

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Whoops, my mistake. Somehow I didn't notice that the story progress rewards (like cure) don't come with a level increase.

Hopefully I won't find it a total bore and can at least enjoy the charm of it. As for the Frozen world not existing, there was no reality where the highest-grossing animated movie ever wouldn't get a world in KH3.

Then they should’ve put effort into it, and they’re a good few years too late. May as well have Avatar world. Neither had actual longevity 

Edited by Elvick_

I'm watching my partner play it at the moment, I noticed when the title comes up in the opening gameplay it states 'Kingdom Hearts 2.9' - does this get explained later on? I've never been a huge fan of the decimal system the franchise uses but this one was confusing as it came across as this still not being the third game.

4 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I'm watching my partner play it at the moment, I noticed when the title comes up in the opening gameplay it states 'Kingdom Hearts 2.9' - does this get explained later on? I've never been a huge fan of the decimal system the franchise uses but this one was confusing as it came across as this still not being the third game.

It gets explained very early on, yeah

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Then they should’ve put effort into it, and they’re a good few years too late. May as well have Avatar world. Neither had actual longevity 

Certainly the Frozen world should have had lots of effort put into it, maybe more than any of the other Disney worlds considering the stakes.

But I'm not sure what you're saying about it being too late? Almost all the Disney worlds in the KH series have come years after the movies they're based on, and Frozen has never "lost relevance" unlike Avatar. Just go to any store with toys and you'll see Frozen stuff everywhere. Disney made a theatrical short and a longer mini-movie (~20 minutes) in the time between 2013 and now. The theatrical sequel is coming out this fall. Kids are still singing Let it Go. When exactly would be a better time to capitalize on the Frozen franchise, in your opinion? ?

Yes, I realize the irony with Avatar coming back in the next few years as multiple sequels (somebody forgot to tell James Cameron that the first movie succeeded only as an unique-at-the-time CGI spectacle). But that's very different from the Frozen franchise, with a sequel that is guaranteed to sell more toys and costumes, and be another box office smash. It probably won't be as successful as the first movie, but every kid in most of the world is going to drag their parents to see it.

Time will tell how much staying power Frozen has (most people have forgotten Princess and the Frog, even though it's a great movie), but right now it's still very much riding high.

6 hours ago, Belphega2208 said:

The real story begins after the disney worlds imho. Every question I had in the last 12 years got an answer.

Oh - and i'm glad that i dont have to visit agrabah a 3rd time :')

Cool, that's good to hear about story resolution.

I liked the Agrabah worlds, but I agree that they didn't need to come back again. I would certainly enjoy a visit to the forgotten Disney movies though - there's a lot of untapped potential there.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

15 hours ago, Blaidd-Cysgodol said:

A lot of you guys dislike Arendelle but I quite liked it, I did think it was stupid how you don't really see the bad guy until the end of the level but I liked it, I especially loved the boss fight. The weakest level is Monstropolis. My own opinion.

Arendelle was fine. But imo the ice labyrinth was too long and kinda annoying. The bossfights were great and I liked the quest with Olaf. 

But compared to the amazing carribean or the Kingdom of Corona, Arendelle was boring :D

On 2/5/2019 at 5:51 AM, LegacyJKO09 said:

they are a joke. took me up until now and even luck with Amazon to get it for 25.99 CDN$. 

perhaps try Amazon.

2.8 is a remake. I think the game is worth the price.

Edited by Belphega2208
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 0:38 PM, jadethealmighty said:

I’ve heard people saying it’s too easy, the gummi missions are just as ridiculous as they’ve always been, the cutscenes are painfully long (even for a kingdom hearts game) and there’s an overfocus on frozen. Also, is there really no square enix characters in this game?!

So a few things on this.  IMO, Frozen wasn't that much of the game.  Truth be told I thought it was longer than most worlds, but honestly, I spent the longest in Toy Story.  So it's likely that you'll have a world that takes up much more of your time.  I also didn't think it was particularly memorable or interesting.  There's a section early on actually I outright didn't like and I'd call one of the games weakest moments.

The gummi ship is...ok I guess.  I think it controls rather poorly, and while exploring can be rather interesting, it's also annoying how they set up the fights (though I was able to change the settings and at least make the ship easier during combat).

I disagree with the cutscenes being too long, I actually don't think they're too bad, but as someone else mentioned, they are longer earlier on (I'm almost at the end so I could be wrong).

As for being easier, I'm not sure that's true across the board for me, but I will say everything seems a lot bigger than it is.  A good example is how many of the bosses have an absurd amount of life bars early on.  So while the bosses seem extremely buff, all of your moves due a crazy amount of damage (playing on standard, mind you).  I think the point is to make you feel overpowered, but it could feel too easy.

Overall I think it's worth the wait, but I'd also recommend a bit of caution with your expectations.  Reason being is that each world, as I'm sure you know, has it's own gimmick.  It's kind of like an anthology film, some parts are going to be weaker than others.  Two worlds in particular were, I thought, really frustrating, while I thoroughly enjoyed two others, and the rest were kind of in the middle.  It's definitely not a bad game, and I'd highly recommend playing it whenever you get the chance.

On 05/02/2019 at 11:20 PM, Belphega2208 said:

Arendelle was fine. But imo the ice labyrinth was too long and kinda annoying. The bossfights were great and I liked the quest with Olaf. 

But compared to the amazing carribean or the Kingdom of Corona, Arendelle was boring :D

2.8 is a remake. I think the game is worth the price.

worth $30 yes. not the original $59.99 it was at launch

14 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

worth $30 yes. not the original $59.99 it was at Launch

^^ Maybe I am not the best Person to talk about this.
Kingdom Hearts is my favourite game series of all time.
I bought a Gameboy Advance in the past, only for Chain of Memories.

I bought a Nintendo DS in the past, only for 358/2 days and Recoded.
I bought a Nintendo 3DS in the past, only for DDD.
I bought a PSP in the past, only for Birth by sleep ^^

Edited by Belphega2208
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Belphega2208 said:

^^ Maybe I am not the best Person to talk about this.
Kingdom Hearts is my favourite game series of all time.
I bought a Gameboy Advance in the past, only for Chain of Memories.

I bought a Nintendo DS in the past, only for 358/2 days and Recoded.
I bought a Nintendo 3DS in the past, only for DDD.
I bought a PSP in the past, only for Birth by sleep ^^

haha that's understandable then :P

only KH games I yet to play is DDD n 2.8 which I will, and Chain of Memories on 1.5 which i think the card gameplay would be weird. 

3 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

I have no idea whatsover about these games and what they entail.  Seeing the number of players this week and that it has toppled the glorious Resident Evil 2 I'm guessing it must be good.

Can anyone please give me a little basic rundown of just what these games are exactly I'm curious, fighting? RPG?

RPG/Adventure and I guess you could consider it hack n slash.

You have a menu on the left side with commands. 

Attack

Magic

Item

(this slot tends to switch with the games but it's usually a special maneuver)

:cross: is what you press when you're on the attack command and it'll just go through the combo which you can extend with abilities or have special attacks that you unlock through the abilities. Magic I'm guessing is rarely used since you have a shortcut menu with :l1: where you can have 4 magic commands, although you can shortcut an item in there too.

Gameplay vids would be a better way to determine if you'd like it. It's not turn based, it's quite free for all really lol. On the higher difficulties you're not just going to mash the :cross: button despite what a lot of people state. You'll need to dodge, block, and even get some distance to heal if you don't have certain abilities. (these people tend to think dodging a million times to get 1 hit in is the way like the Souls series.)

EDIT:

The story is...kinda hard to get a handle on if you don't play all the games. You can't play the 3 main titles and understand it. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

I have no idea whatsover about these games and what they entail.  Seeing the number of players this week and that it has toppled the glorious Resident Evil 2 I'm guessing it must be good.

Can anyone please give me a little basic rundown of just what these games are exactly I'm curious, fighting? RPG?

Its an JRPG.

80% of the game is based on disney worlds.

20% of the game is based on the own kingsom hearts universe.

Real time combat, easy gameplay, many cutscenes, very deep story about friendship.

If you skip cutscenes, most of the kh games only have about 10-12 hours of gameplay.

With the cutscenes its a masterpiece with about 40 hours of playtime.

If you like disney and final fantasy, you will find your new favourite game.

• Like 1

@Avatar_Of_Battle @Belphega2208 Thank you kindly for your feedback its much appreciated.  I've never really got into the final fantasy games, i don't know what it is they just didn't do alot for me.  And as for Disney I'm not and never have been that much of a fan really other than alice in wonderland for its crazy trippiness.  I think its safe to say I will proabaly never go out of my way to buy them but I'll be sure to have a little try at some point.  ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

@Avatar_Of_Battle @Belphega2208 Thank you kindly for your feedback its much appreciated.  I've never really got into the final fantasy games, i don't know what it is they just didn't do alot for me.  And as for Disney I'm not and never have been that much of a fan really other than alice in wonderland for its crazy trippiness.  I think its safe to say I will proabaly never go out of my way to buy them but I'll be sure to have a little try at some point.  ?

In KH 1(on ps4 its called 1.5 remix) you can visit Wonderland :P its one of the first worlds.

• Like 1

After finishing it this morning it's hard to overstate how much of a disappointment the finale is. The mob fights are shit easy and the final battle itself doesn't hold a candle to previous games. As a fan of the series I don't feel any drive to Platinum this. The Toy Story and Pirates worlds are alright, though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

After finishing it this morning it's hard to overstate how much of a disappointment the finale is. The mob fights are shit easy and the final battle itself doesn't hold a candle to previous games. As a fan of the series I don't feel any drive to Platinum this. The Toy Story and Pirates worlds are alright, though. 

Um, Proud Mode would have make them tougher. If you wanted a challenge, play it on Proud Mode. I don't get why some people say this game is easy, I think they didn't play this game on Proud Mode.

just wanna say i picked up 2.8 and i know it's a remake of a 3ds but dream drop distance is the most disappointing thing i have EVER had to look at on a ps4. the sound isn't a high quality (it is REALLY muffly when fighting) the voice acting is dull as anything and the fighting is ridiculously. so if that's what i've got to look forward to in kh3 i'm really not going to bother haha

49 minutes ago, jadethealmighty said:

just wanna say i picked up 2.8 and i know it's a remake of a 3ds but dream drop distance is the most disappointing thing i have EVER had to look at on a ps4. the sound isn't a high quality (it is REALLY muffly when fighting) the voice acting is dull as anything and the fighting is ridiculously. so if that's what i've got to look forward to in kh3 i'm really not going to bother haha

Obviously playing Kingdom Hearts 3, which is a brand new game, will give you the exact experience as playing a 3DS game that was remastered for PS4..................... I don't think you should bother playing KH3 at all! :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TfT_02 said:

Obviously playing Kingdom Hearts 3, which is a brand new game, will give you the exact experience as playing a 3DS game that was remastered for PS4..................... I don't think you should bother playing KH3 at all! :)

good to know. thanks!!!