PSNP Boosting Threads

On 2/16/2019 at 10:45 PM, Otonio_Bruno said:

- People will start to annoy anyone that has ever posted in that thread, asking if you can help them with boosting, even though you did it 3 years ago.

This is what annoys me. I STILL get people asking me to boost games like Guitar Hero. I haven't played a Guitar Hero in years.

• 7 months later...

The overwhleming majority of boosting threads are threads started by people who only have a single post in the forums. They likely haven't taken the time to explore much of the forums and probably will ignore any warnings given to them to post a Session. Going back and looking at a lot of these locked threads, hardly any of the thread creators ever interact in the forums ever again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

The overwhleming majority of boosting threads are threads started by people who only have a single post in the forums. They likely haven't taken the time to explore much of the forums and probably will ignore any warnings given to them to post a Session. Going back and looking at a lot of these locked threads, hardly any of the thread creators ever interact in the forums ever again.

They never comeback because you scare them half to death.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Rather than make official boosting threads, it'd be nice if there was a warning message that shows up whenever you try to create any type of thread with a message that states boosting threads aren't allowed, have it also link to https://psnprofiles.com/sessions

Good idea but it would a minor inconvenience to any veteran PSNP member. The number of illegal boosting threads would probably drop (at least a little bit) if this was implemented. It would also be helpful to briefly explain what boosting sessions are in the warning message; a newcomer probably wouldn't understand what a boosting session even is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The overwhleming majority of boosting threads are threads started by people who only have a single post in the forums.

That's a good reason to restrict accounts with fewer than 25 posts from creating a thread anywhere besides the help forum or member introductions.

Edited by dj_helyx
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Rather than make official boosting threads, it'd be nice if there was a warning message that shows up whenever you try to create any type of thread with a message that states boosting threads aren't allowed, have it also link to https://psnprofiles.com/sessions

I tried to do my part with my Disney parody posts :P They often get deleted though. If Sly or whomever would like for these to randomly (I have about a dozen) pop up whenever some posts a boosting thread I can make them available.

-----------------------------------------

What's this? What's this?
A place to Boost Trophies

What's this?
I can post in there with ease.

What's this?
I can't believe my luck
I must be dreaming
Come on Sly, this is such a tease.
What's this?

There are people grinding kills
by shooting their partners in the head

They're completing the objectives
despite the online being dead

These trophies were once thought impossible
Oh, I can't believe my eyes
Soon you will post in the Recent Plat thread
And get a lot of Likes
WHAT'S THIS?

16 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

That's a good reason to restrict accounts with fewer than 25 posts from creating a thread anywhere besides the help forum or member introductions.

Agree with this 100%

23 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

My avatar of a vicious Maltese in costumes is a bit intimidating...

Hey those can be scary :o

diOrigm.jpg

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 4

I think the official boosting thread is a decent idea. I would state in the heading that any subsequent threads will be closed. I would also clearly state in the rules what the consequences for creating subsequent boosting session threads are so the rule is explicit and not inferred. Like anything, speculating about whether it will or won’t work is pointless without trial and error.

I would also clearly state in the rules what the consequences for creating subsequent boosting session threads are so the rule is explicit and not inferred.

There is no rule and no plans to add an official posted rule against creating boosting threads so there will be no consequences (warnings, points, etc).

5 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

No I don’t think they should be closed by moderators unless there is a rule against them. A moderator’s job is to enforce written and codified rules right?

It is also the moderators job to do what Sly says. Sly Ripper is the owner of the site and PSNProfiles parent company, Gaming Profiles Ltd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bliss said:

It is also the moderators job to do what Sly says. Sly Ripper is the owner of the site and PSNProfiles parent company, Gaming Profiles Ltd. 

I get that. Why not just put a one sentence rule stating: “All boosting threads will be closed upon discovery.” Codify what the owner wants. Isn’t that common sense?

2 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

I get that. Why not just put a one sentence rule stating: “All boosting threads will be closed upon discovery.” Codify what the owner wants. Isn’t that common sense?

I suppose a simple rule like that wouldn't hurt but it most likely wouldn't make any difference since the majority of those who create boosting threads don't explore the forums enough to find the rules in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I suppose a simple rule like that wouldn't hurt but it most likely wouldn't make any difference since the majority of those who create boosting threads don't explore the forums enough to find the rules in the first place.

Don’t you think it’s objectively wrong though to enforce unwritten rules? It takes 1 minute at most to add that rule and lend credibility to every moment a moderator closes a boosting thread. If it “isn’t against the rules or terms of service,” it looks a bit bad when a moderator closes a boosting thread and then says to refer to the rules when there is no rule. It’s a bit silly.

22 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

Don’t you think it’s objectively wrong though to enforce unwritten rules? It takes 1 minute at most to add that rule and lend credibility to every moment a moderator closes a boosting thread. If it “isn’t against the rules or terms of service,” it looks a bit bad when a moderator closes a boosting thread and then says to refer to the rules when there is no rule. It’s a bit silly.

If there were some kind of punishment or penalty involved, then having a rule to point to would make more sense.

The fact that the moderators point to tool (the sessions) that do the very thing the thread intended to do, aided by the fact that the person directing is a moderator is enough for most people. 

I don’t find it “objectively” wrong at all. We don’t need a wall of rules to tell us every single thing we can and can’t do and we’ve gotten along just fine. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

I have never seen a moderator refer to the rules when closing a boosting thread. It is almost always a gentle reminder they are not allowed and a link to the sessions page. No, I don't think there is anything wrong with the unwritten rule.

Edited by Bliss
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I have never seen a moderator refer to the rules when closing a boosting thread. Usually it is just a gentle reminder that boosting threads aren't allowed along with a link to the sessions page.

I have, however, seen regular users say they are against the rules and if the dispute section is anything to go by it is clear that a lot of people don't really bother reading the rules of the site themselves.

I'm not particularly fussed about the unwritten rule myself, because I actually took my time to look around properly when I first started lurking this site years ago to learn all the dos and donts.

TL;DR It's a non issue.

If they aren’t against the rules, then they are allowed. That’s the way things work. A moderator saying something isn’t allowed without a rule to point to simply seems to be an example of a moderator going beyond the scope of his/her power. I know this is a privately owned site, but it is only fair to enforce actual rules and not the whims of individual moderators. 

6 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

If they aren’t against the rules, then they are allowed. That’s the way things work. A moderator saying something isn’t allowed without a rule to point to simply seems to be an example of a moderator going beyond the scope of his/her power. I know this is a privately owned site, but it is only fair to enforce actual rules and not the whims of individual moderators. 

Well, there's probably little chance of it getting changed any time soon. I don't know what else to say on this matter.

OK the thing about "being in the rules vs not being in the rules"

If I posted something about Saints Row IV in the Final Fantasy 15 forum then the mods would move my thread to the correct forum.

So if someone posts about boosting when there are the gaming sessions then the mods close that thread and point to the game sessions.

They are just directing people to where they should be putting their threads.  So it isn't a rule, but it is following the flow of the site..

• Like 2