PSNP Boosting Threads

Imo both work great, what I tend to do is create a session with unlimited players (if trophies take more than 2 people) and create a group either on PS Messages app or Discord, and we go from there as soon as we have enough available, thus making the gaming session only a starting point.

But I can see your point of view so support, one stickied thread per game wouldn't hurt.

27 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

Bad idea. For two reasons:

- New members will complete flood a game sub-forum making their own boosting threads. No matter if you say there is only one boosting thread, people will make new ones even after seeing a general boosting because they have 'reasons'. Then it will make moderation work much more in order to keep locking these threads and warning people to not do it. If it already happens with a clea rule of no boosting threads at all, imagine if you start creating general boosting threads...

- People will start to annoy anyone that has ever posted in that thread, asking if you can help them with boosting, even though you did it 3 years ago.

Gaming sessions work fine for both "Kill this player X on map Y with this weapon Z." or trophies like "Reach multiplayer level 100 on Prestige 50". Just schedule the session to be an ongoing session, like many people already do here, create a PS Messages or Discord group and keep adding any new players.

So you’re saying people will purposely ignore a pinned official boosting thread? I haven’t seen that happen on PST so why would it necessarily happen here? I would say that once people start to realise PSNP has proper boosting threads they won’t see the need to make their own.

As for annoying people after they have finished the game. I’ve had this happen once on PST and that was because I had forgotten to update the post I had made when boosting the game saying that I was no longer playing it. If people are really that concerned about this happening then don’t post on the thread and can’t happen.

There also is no obvious clear rule about not making boosting threads here. The only place I have seen it is in the What To Do When You Want To Boost A Trophy thread and the people making these threads don’t look for that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

So you’re saying people will purposely ignore a pinned official boosting thread? I haven’t seen that happen on PST so why would it necessarily happen here? I would say that once people start to realise PSNP has proper boosting threads they won’t see the need to make their own.

Trust me, it happens more often than you think. We've had dedicated boosting threads for years now on PST but still have deal with unauthorised secondary (or even tetriary) boosting threads, several times a week.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

It does happen on PST since I've seen it happen on multiple occasions. The reason why you might not have seen them is that the moderators might have deleted those threads before you saw them.

About your suggestion, while I think that a boosting thread as it's advantages I want to suggest the idea of that allowing a gaming session with unlimited players to run for a longer time (like a year) or giving the option to transfer the session creator to someone else. This way as the creator of the session you don't have to worry about renewing the session date (when I created the gaming session for Little Deviants a long time ago I left it end like twice because I forgot to change the date forward) and when you're done with the trophies you can just give the job of continuing that session to someone else.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

- People will start to annoy anyone that has ever posted in that thread, asking if you can help them with boosting, even though you did it 3 years ago.

I freaking hate that, I still very rarely get messages asking for help boosting front mission even though I did it back in 2011

Guy messaged me on xbox live 2 months ago asking for help on riddick when I hadn't touched the game since 2010 

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

I like the lack of boosting threads since the gaming sessions here are pretty epic...saves jumping around the site and reading over multiple thread pages to find compatible partners...the ability to see everyone's time zones, progress, and post messages/links is great...for lengthier/ongoing sessions, if someone never shows up or is disruptive, delete them from the session and move on...the current format offers very simple organizing in an eye-pleasing manner which I find boosting threads can not do nearly as well or efficiently...for sessions that require multiple days, a good host can prove their dedication by updating in the session itself and bumping the date ahead regularly...host sucks?...all good... just create your own session and run it how you see fit...

the funny thing though is that some games actually have boosting threads...never quite understood why...examples:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

the funny thing though is that some games actually have boosting threads...never quite understood why

I used to create "official" boosting threads for upcoming popular games in order to try to prevent a ton of boosting threads being posted. Sly asked me to stop as he wanted people using the Gaming Sessions feature. As dj_helyx so eloquently stated in regards to people ignoring official boosting threads;

16 hours ago, dj_helyx said:

They sure fuckin' will.

Even for games with official boosting threads, there was still a multitude of individual boosting threads posted so they really didn't do anything anyway. 

Parker

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Parker said:

I used to create "official" boosting threads for upcoming popular games in order to try to prevent a ton of boosting threads being posted. Sly asked me to stop as he wanted people using the Gaming Sessions feature.

makes a lot of sense and I wholeheartedly agree; gaming sessions are the way to go...my favourite site feature, as a matter of fact...official boosting thread mystery -> solved...thanks...

Allowing users to choose their preference between thread or session will likely fracture the effectiveness of boosts.  Undoubtedly, one portion of the community will use one and vice versa, leading to each not having enough people for the boost.  Sure, they could intermingle, but if they're doing that, there's no reason sessions couldn't be the default option for everybody to begin with. 

19 hours ago, Reinachii- said:

Gaming sessions have never worked for me :(

If sessions are used properly, they will always work better than threads. There's really no exceptions to this.

Since sessions are (generally) always going to have people that are currently and actively hunting the trophy within a short period of time, they're easily more reliable and more organized than a chaotic thread of uncertainty. If your issue is the boosting session "ends" too quickly for long boosts and you have to extend it, just let it end. You all should be in some of communication whether its discord, PSN Chat, or on each others friend lists to where its easy to schedule so you can easily reschedule the next game time, that you no longer "need" an actual session to exist.

Edited by B1rvine

I'm very much against this.

This website has a feature developed specifically for boosting. This is downright suggesting to allow people to not use it.

The greatness of the gaming sessions is that they are temporary. Once it's done, the session will still show for week for those who joined and then it's gone FOREVER. People are retarded, you can't count on your fingers how many times people will come and add you because they saw your name on something posted years ago.

I'm gonna tag @Stevieboy and @Dr_Mayus just so they can share their horror stories here.

• Like 3

I actually switched sites because of this sessions feature, its been 4 years Ive gotten 2 messages about Bioshock trophies I posted I needed help there 4 years ago. This site I made a session and got some people we did our thing and then it was done and gone no more requests, Though some people in these sessions are cancer there was this guy arch something something joined and because we didnt start the exact time as posted he threw a hissy fit and left. But it makes it so much easier like you know the group you're going in with you know the ETL and the time, Forums its hit or miss all the time blankity blank is on at this time oh well blank blank is on at this other time, with sessions its like 10:00pm start 11:00pm end everyone who joins tries to work for that time.

45 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

It would be a good idea if you could get yourself tagged and untagged in such a thread.

Tagged - I want to boost, add me

Untagged - no longer, invisible

That way no one needs to be afraid of getting harassed after finishing the trophies.

That's actually a really good idea. 

Too bad these buffoons would still find a way to circumvent all the effort of making it work properly...just like duplicate threads.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, BEST_OF_ALL_TlME said:

I need to create a gaming session for a game that I'm not on yet and have no trophies for yet but this website won't let me. What should I do?

Start the game so its trophy list is added. Update your profile and see if the list appears on your profile here (if it doesn't try earning a trophy, can be on that game or on another game your playing) then you should be able to create a gaming session for the game.

• Like 1