The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

It appears that AEW's shows have been get a lot more negativity (ticket sales also down as they run the same towns over and over again), especially since the Punk debacle. Since then there was the Eddie/Sammy fight but now the more serious Andrade/Sammy fight happened. For those unaware Andrade did some interview where he said he has had no problems backstage and the only people who have took issue with him was Sammy, for Andrade hitting him too hard which Andrade thought was ridiculous because John Cena, who has the pull to tell anybody to soften up if he wants didn't do that to Andrade, so if John Cena, the man, doesn't take issue than who is Sammy to take issue? Not that he said it in those words, but I feel that is the implication. 

Is that a bit disrespectful on Andrade's part? Sure. In essence saying that Sammy isn't a big enough name to have the cache to tell Andrade (a bigger name) "ease up on me brother". Sammy's response was massive and extreme. Andrade responded to that and said that when he asked Sammy if there was a problem before that Sammy told him everything was cool. Sammy responded to that with another extreme response and called Andrade a liar. Andrade's response to that was that okay then, alright, he'll ask him again on the next show backstage. Predictably Andrade did not take this disrespect from Sammy and punched him a number of times. Some talk out there says he also spun Sammy around and that Sammy might have shoved him at some point. Potentially factoring in the "spun around" it might be that Sammy mouthed off, Andrade spun him around as a sort of "get out of here", Sammy shoved Andrade, and Andrade saw that as reason to start punching.

Khan's response was to send Andrade home and not only have Sammy work a match he didn't need to work (any JAS member could have done the match) but have him get the winning pinfall too. Many people are now saying that Sammy is Khan's boy and overly protected as he has had 2 fights now and each time only the other guy gets punished. It also goes against the recent Punk case as people that did nothing wrong in that one got suspended also, yet in this case Sammy, who certainly has some blame for the extreme response he had to Andrade, gets off.

This brings me to a fun little point. There is talk that Andrade wants to get fired so he can go possibly to the WWE. We've heard Black wants to go. Mathews too. Miro may or may not want to go depending on if he is trolling or not (hard to tell with him. I think the trip to AEW has broken him even more than the end of his WWE run did). FTR appear to be miserable and likely having second thoughts themselves. Perhaps some others. Khan's response is that they signed contracts and he'll be keeping them locked down regardless of if they want to leave or not. So... what happened to being friendly to the workers? What happened to the evil empire being so nasty for locking down guys who didn't want to be there (and to be fair, WWE has actually released guys out of their contracts early, something that I believe AEW is yet to do). Turns out that for Khan and the AEW marks it is very easy to state "just release guys if they don't want to be there", but when it actually happens to them then suddenly it becomes "we'll make you sit at home for years". No surprise to me of course as it is all so predictable.

Ultimately the issue this all spawns from is the fact that thin skinned Tony is also spineless. He has shown, as many knew from the start, that he has no capacity to control his roster. Many have been remarking now that it would appear that Cody was an important piece of AEW early on as he carried himself as a boss, had the respect of the boys, and could put out fires before they got out of control. Khan needs to find somebody like that and put them in charge of these matters as he clearly is incapable of doing it himself. There is no shame in that, people have different skillsets. No one is ever going to respect Khan like people respected McMahon and if Khan thinks otherwise than he is even more delusional than most people think he is.

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 8:46 AM, jackmadrox said:

Damn, you called that lol. Growing up, Sting was my number one favorite. Still is. But I see him passing the torch down to Darby Allin, and I can't help but become a fan of the guy. I thought he was cool before he allied with Sting. I've always enjoyed the darker wrestlers, Sting, Undertaker, Kane, Wyatt etc. 

As for the whole sports entertainment discussion, the world of wrestling in my opinion has no choice but to be recognized as such. Kayfabe was never going to last. Wrestling had to evolve, with the rise of the internet, to survive. Everyone is aware now, that it is in fact, a show. Stories are written for the wrestlers to clash with one another, outcomes are pre-determined. But the risks and bumps are real, that these men and women endure for our entertainment. Back in the day when I was a teenager watching WWF and WCW, there was still some belief that everything happening was %100 real, and nothing scripted. Nowadays, you watch it as if it's a movie; you know it's a show, but you suspend your disbelief for an hour or two every wednesday and friday night to enjoy it. It's not a bad thing for wrestling to be sports entertainment. Because that's what it always was anyways. 

I hate to bring up a really old post, but I have to agree. For me it was the Attitude Era of the WWF that made me a real fan. Was much too young to see Hulk Hogan go against Andre the Giant or any of those old guys from the 1980's. In fact I wasn't really aware that stuff even existed until I played WWE Legends of Wrestlemania on the Xbox 360.

I loved Sting as a kid. Also enjoyed Goldberg. On the WWF side it was Triple H, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin, followed by Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit.

The problem now is even if I was a teenager again, my enjoyment of the sport of the wrestling would still be diminished because the internet reveals so much on what goes on behind the scenes. Back in say 1998 you mostly still relied on wrestling magazines and whatever the biased news television shows told you. The internet hadn't evolved enough to make itself all too accessible for the masses, as slow dial-up and using old dinosaur PCs was too cumbersome.

Now we can look up everything. What this guy behind the scenes said in a wrestling podcast. What Chris Jericho said the other night. This controversy that popped up a few weeks ago. Legacy media was already slow in delivering you the news and by the time people knew about it, it was already a day or two old. So a lot had already happened after you were told it. Today I can pull up articles on the WWE after they were published mere minutes ago. The veil was lifted with the rise of social media and when high speed internet didn't require a physical line, exposure became that much easier to pull off.

I haven't completely given up on wrestling, but I very rarely watch it. AEW to me is slightly better than WWE, but not much. Like you, I have to suspend my disbelief, but it is sometimes difficult to do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fellow heel abandons Jade midmatch leaving her in a handicap situation against two faces. Jade instantly crushes the faces by herself and wins the match effortlessly.

This isn't the first time that she has had super face booking so why not... just make her a face already? Because people can't relate to this great big amazon? And most people could to Hulk Hogan? Ultimate Warrior? Even John Cena was massive even if he wasn't as tall.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So theres another match for all in at wembley between will ospreay and chris jericho, everyone was expecting omega vs ospreay 3, but they are going for a totally different way, and yes, fans are saying that ospreay will carry the match for a 52 years old guy, I think both can give a great match with lots of spots

On 8/17/2023 at 4:52 PM, Don_Chipotle said:

So theres another match for all in at wembley between will ospreay and chris jericho, everyone was expecting omega vs ospreay 3, but they are going for a totally different way, and yes, fans are saying that ospreay will carry the match for a 52 years old guy, I think both can give a great match with lots of spots

I'll admit. A guy actually accepting the invite to the heel group and the heel, who had planned a beatdown, being completely taken by surprise is at least refreshing. Setting up a random match with Ospreay, a guy who hasn't in any way been developed on AEW ordinally would be baffling, but this is normal for Khan. He literally does a whole PPV (Forbidden Door) which is full of these sort of matches.

These shows though, damn. I had to stop watching these shows because the in ring stuff was stupid and it was so attack heavy, but the recent one had 7 or 8 beatdown segments. I really don't know how they could possibly get worse. So much happier devoting that time to NXT.

There was also the whole deathmatch thing they ran. Which didn't surprise me as I've been telling people that AEW very much is Sports Entertainment too, at times even more so than the WWE, and it was in full swing here. AEW fans attacked heavily the Miz Zombie promotional thing and this was easily worse than that, but what really makes these things even worse with AEW is all the lies they've come out with. WWE tells you they're sports entertainment, they don't get up on some high horse and tell people that they're 'real wrestling'. So if WWE does any of this then it isn't strange or unexpected.

It is all very strange and I think it is one of two things or perhaps both. The first possible reason they're going so much harder on these segments is that they have their new show Collision which is presented as the 'wrestling show', so that gives them room to make Dynamite more sports entertainment. The second is the simple fact that AEW is cold and declining while the WWE has reignited and has been extremely hot, so they're now seeking to even further emulate WWE. The problem of course is as I said, all this stuff if it happens with WWE gets easily shrugged off as you expect it. AEW has for years primed it's audience to reject this stuff and is now feeding them it, and yeah, many of them are just anti-WWE hypocrites, but I doubt it'll have positive consequences.

5 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

I'll admit. A guy actually accepting the invite to the heel group and the heel, who had planned a beatdown, being completely taken by surprise is at least refreshing. Setting up a random match with Ospreay, a guy who hasn't in any way been developed on AEW ordinally would be baffling, but this is normal for Khan. He literally does a whole PPV (Forbidden Door) which is full of these sort of matches.

These shows though, damn. I had to stop watching these shows because the in ring stuff was stupid and it was so attack heavy, but the recent one had 7 or 8 beatdown segments. I really don't know how they could possibly get worse. So much happier devoting that time to NXT.

There was also the whole deathmatch thing they ran. Which didn't surprise me as I've been telling people that AEW very much is Sports Entertainment too, at times even more so than the WWE, and it was in full swing here. AEW fans attacked heavily the Miz Zombie promotional thing and this was easily worse than that, but what really makes these things even worse with AEW is all the lies they've come out with. WWE tells you they're sports entertainment, they don't get up on some high horse and tell people that they're 'real wrestling'. So if WWE does any of this then it isn't strange or unexpected.

It is all very strange and I think it is one of two things or perhaps both. The first possible reason they're going so much harder on these segments is that they have their new show Collision which is presented as the 'wrestling show', so that gives them room to make Dynamite more sports entertainment. The second is the simple fact that AEW is cold and declining while the WWE has reignited and has been extremely hot, so they're now seeking to even further emulate WWE. The problem of course is as I said, all this stuff if it happens with WWE gets easily shrugged off as you expect it. AEW has for years primed it's audience to reject this stuff and is now feeding them it, and yeah, many of them are just anti-WWE hypocrites, but I doubt it'll have positive consequences.

The setting isnt bad at all, and i agree some combats feel weird when different kinds of wrestling schools meet, the four way match of FD 2022 wasnt the best, on paper it sounds amazing, but four different wrestlers from different countries, different companies, with little time to prepare, it wasnt the best.

NXT is doing great, i love its slowly recovering the respect and good booking and highly hope by survivor series they go 4p3sh1t and destroy everything....AGAIN

And its interesting the topic you mention with sports entertainment and wrestling because in AEW case, i think its way more back, the moment they hire broken matt and all the mumbo jumbo things he did during the shows and promos, its obvious AEW isnt afraid of placing sports entertainment at the formula, that being said, it isnt easy as many people thing it is, because when you do it wrong, it looks frigging hilarious, or just plain bad, because even doing something as basic as turning lights on and off like undertaker or kane pyro total respect for everyone because you need to make it look badass at camera, and live, and thats not an easy task.

One problem i feel AEW has is, ironically even with wembley ppv show, is that its going very safe with the tours, many times the brand is repeating locations like Chicago, that even some impact is lost of how many of the same states it visits, and in the international point of view, its a shame there are many great latin american wrestlers and theres not even a gossip of AEW doing a show at any part of the south, the only thing good is that now you can watch all AEW with an app called VIX, which is something i guess.

Its great there is competition and that both brands have pros and cons, but its amazing how AEW changed from the punk meltdown, you see the matches and PPVS it totally feels like there was this great long plan, and suddenly, we need to go back, so sell again previous rivalries from the company and other companies, and we can have interns and double championships, and well, it does really sucks all in and all out have so few days apart from each other, its an awful choice from every point of view, and for everyone, i remember when AEW started fans posted that aew was a more prepared company for the live events and had a more gentle agenda for their wrestlers, but this is not good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don_Chipotle said:

The setting isnt bad at all, and i agree some combats feel weird when different kinds of wrestling schools meet, the four way match of FD 2022 wasnt the best, on paper it sounds amazing, but four different wrestlers from different countries, different companies, with little time to prepare, it wasnt the best.

NXT is doing great, i love its slowly recovering the respect and good booking and highly hope by survivor series they go 4p3sh1t and destroy everything....AGAIN

And its interesting the topic you mention with sports entertainment and wrestling because in AEW case, i think its way more back, the moment they hire broken matt and all the mumbo jumbo things he did during the shows and promos, its obvious AEW isnt afraid of placing sports entertainment at the formula, that being said, it isnt easy as many people thing it is, because when you do it wrong, it looks frigging hilarious, or just plain bad, because even doing something as basic as turning lights on and off like undertaker or kane pyro total respect for everyone because you need to make it look badass at camera, and live, and thats not an easy task.

One problem i feel AEW has is, ironically even with wembley ppv show, is that its going very safe with the tours, many times the brand is repeating locations like Chicago, that even some impact is lost of how many of the same states it visits, and in the international point of view, its a shame there are many great latin american wrestlers and theres not even a gossip of AEW doing a show at any part of the south, the only thing good is that now you can watch all AEW with an app called VIX, which is something i guess.

Its great there is competition and that both brands have pros and cons, but its amazing how AEW changed from the punk meltdown, you see the matches and PPVS it totally feels like there was this great long plan, and suddenly, we need to go back, so sell again previous rivalries from the company and other companies, and we can have interns and double championships, and well, it does really sucks all in and all out have so few days apart from each other, its an awful choice from every point of view, and for everyone, i remember when AEW started fans posted that aew was a more prepared company for the live events and had a more gentle agenda for their wrestlers, but this is not good.

Shawn Michaels is the real booker of the year. What he has been doing with largely green talent for a good while now is incredible. Though Hunter's interferences have had me wary a whole bunch. First it was him getting all the NXT UK people sent to NXT and having them clog up the show... but that seems to have worked out. Now we're having a bunch of main roster talent on there and I'm unsure exactly how I feel about that, at least it ain't a Super Indy like Black and Gold became, but the show should be about the new talent, which thankfully it still is thus far.

I'm not against them doing Sports Entertainment in itself, I mean NXT today is full of it and that is my favourite show. I just don't like the attitude they've had, how much they've crapped on it, and yet they do it too. 

You're correct. They've ran certain areas so often that they've really tapped them out and you can notice this in many of their TV tapings where the crowds just don't have the energy that they used to. A bit embarrassing for the promotion that is supposed to have all the 'hardcores'. To the point that they took to emulating what WWE fans do to Dirty Dom to Don Callis because having a WWE crowd on RAW be hotter than your show is quite something. As for the Latin America thing... okay, there is some nasty business relating to that. Khan a year back or whatever boasted about demographics. Essentially that AEW fans were better educated, richer, and all that than WWE fans. The reason for that is WWE has a lot of minority, especially Latin American fans, while AEW is heavily White/Anglo. Khan is heavily stat based, hence why he almost always puts woman in the death slot (unless someone calls him out, then he gives them a pity main event to calm things down), as to him women don't draw and he only has them clearly because he feels he has to (how can he promote AEW as progressive and attack WWE as regressive if they have a woman's division and he doesn't), so he likely views Latin American areas as not good ones for AEW. This is also seen as a reason why Black talent has had so little in AEW. Not that this is to say that Khan is racist to the point that he doesn't want minority fans, but at times he does give off the energy that he is booking for White fans and has written off minority fans as a lost cause.

The Punk thing, oh dear. Obviously like many others I laughed hard at the meltdown he had. I've not liked him for a long time, nor his wife once she took to emulating him, and I never believed all that talk that he had 'mellowed out' and 'changed'. So the meltdown came as no shock to me. Punk is a cynical, bitter, and vindictive person who actively seeks to promote himself as some wronged party. Many people don't even realise he despises them until he has an outburst and are then left wondering what exactly they did to get Punk to hate them so much, which is usually some imagined slight that exists only in Punk's mind. The surrendering Khan has done towards Punk is just beyond pathetic. Khan is currently paying Ace Steel to essentially sit at home to keep Punk happy. He has given Punk the authority to have the head of talent relations, who is a respected veteran, banned from collision. Then you have the treatment of Ryan Nemeth which is just typical Punk. Savages the guy backstage acting the hard man, knowing that a guy like Ryan who is essentially nothing in the business isn't going to fight back against him verbally or physically, which if he did we all know he'd drop Punk who is a joke when it comes to fighting, shook hands as the problem was 'sorted', then banned Ryan anyway because there is no 'sorted' or 'we're cool now' with Punk due to how vindictive he is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 2:14 PM, Rozalia1 said:

Shawn Michaels is the real booker of the year. What he has been doing with largely green talent for a good while now is incredible. Though Hunter's interferences have had me wary a whole bunch. First it was him getting all the NXT UK people sent to NXT and having them clog up the show... but that seems to have worked out. Now we're having a bunch of main roster talent on there and I'm unsure exactly how I feel about that, at least it ain't a Super Indy like Black and Gold became, but the show should be about the new talent, which thankfully it still is thus far.

I'm not against them doing Sports Entertainment in itself, I mean NXT today is full of it and that is my favourite show. I just don't like the attitude they've had, how much they've crapped on it, and yet they do it too. 

You're correct. They've ran certain areas so often that they've really tapped them out and you can notice this in many of their TV tapings where the crowds just don't have the energy that they used to. A bit embarrassing for the promotion that is supposed to have all the 'hardcores'. To the point that they took to emulating what WWE fans do to Dirty Dom to Don Callis because having a WWE crowd on RAW be hotter than your show is quite something. As for the Latin America thing... okay, there is some nasty business relating to that. Khan a year back or whatever boasted about demographics. Essentially that AEW fans were better educated, richer, and all that than WWE fans. The reason for that is WWE has a lot of minority, especially Latin American fans, while AEW is heavily White/Anglo. Khan is heavily stat based, hence why he almost always puts woman in the death slot (unless someone calls him out, then he gives them a pity main event to calm things down), as to him women don't draw and he only has them clearly because he feels he has to (how can he promote AEW as progressive and attack WWE as regressive if they have a woman's division and he doesn't), so he likely views Latin American areas as not good ones for AEW. This is also seen as a reason why Black talent has had so little in AEW. Not that this is to say that Khan is racist to the point that he doesn't want minority fans, but at times he does give off the energy that he is booking for White fans and has written off minority fans as a lost cause.

The Punk thing, oh dear. Obviously like many others I laughed hard at the meltdown he had. I've not liked him for a long time, nor his wife once she took to emulating him, and I never believed all that talk that he had 'mellowed out' and 'changed'. So the meltdown came as no shock to me. Punk is a cynical, bitter, and vindictive person who actively seeks to promote himself as some wronged party. Many people don't even realise he despises them until he has an outburst and are then left wondering what exactly they did to get Punk to hate them so much, which is usually some imagined slight that exists only in Punk's mind. The surrendering Khan has done towards Punk is just beyond pathetic. Khan is currently paying Ace Steel to essentially sit at home to keep Punk happy. He has given Punk the authority to have the head of talent relations, who is a respected veteran, banned from collision. Then you have the treatment of Ryan Nemeth which is just typical Punk. Savages the guy backstage acting the hard man, knowing that a guy like Ryan who is essentially nothing in the business isn't going to fight back against him verbally or physically, which if he did we all know he'd drop Punk who is a joke when it comes to fighting, shook hands as the problem was 'sorted', then banned Ryan anyway because there is no 'sorted' or 'we're cool now' with Punk due to how vindictive he is.

TurnHeelWrestling en X: "MJF tiene ganas (y no pocas) de luchar en México 🇲🇽: “Tengo muchas ganas de ir al Estadio Azteca. No depende de mí, pero en el Estadio Azteca cabe muchísima gente. Me encanta la gente mexicana, me encanta la cultura mexicana y me encanta la comida mexicana. Dios mío. Voy a… https://t.co/wAtK6x2Ki4" / X (twitter.com)

So this came out of nowhere, didnt expect it from MJF, or AEW, even as a short/long tease, but i got to say, its a weird idea if its real, since i consider they need to present AEW to mexican audience first to see numbers and stats, and then, what mexican audience in particular they want, the fans from here are a very interesting topic because you have people that adore old school lucha libre like CMLL (the guys that go on tour with NJPW), the guys that have more interest in show/mic/spots like lucha libre triple a, and the guys who love wwe/aew, so it will be interesting if its profitable for everyone first, because just going straight for a show at estadio azteca its nuts, it han hold up to 87 000 people, the background for wrestling at the estadio azteca isnt the best

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don_Chipotle said:

TurnHeelWrestling en X: "MJF tiene ganas (y no pocas) de luchar en México 🇲🇽: “Tengo muchas ganas de ir al Estadio Azteca. No depende de mí, pero en el Estadio Azteca cabe muchísima gente. Me encanta la gente mexicana, me encanta la cultura mexicana y me encanta la comida mexicana. Dios mío. Voy a… https://t.co/wAtK6x2Ki4" / X (twitter.com)

So this came out of nowhere, didnt expect it from MJF, or AEW, even as a short/long tease, but i got to say, its a weird idea if its real, since i consider they need to present AEW to mexican audience first to see numbers and stats, and then, what mexican audience in particular they want, the fans from here are a very interesting topic because you have people that adore old school lucha libre like CMLL (the guys that go on tour with NJPW), the guys that have more interest in show/mic/spots like lucha libre triple a, and the guys who love wwe/aew, so it will be interesting if its profitable for everyone first, because just going straight for a show at estadio azteca its nuts, it han hold up to 87 000 people, the background for wrestling at the estadio azteca isnt the best

Interesting you should note that as I saw some hours ago a video from Meltzer and he basically stated that WWE wouldn't run Estadio Azteca for monetary reasons. Khan is a lot less concerned with those so more likely I suppose, but the main concern would be how well they can fill it and with who exactly. Not exactly a great look for the company if even if they manage to get a good number, it is largely Anglos... then again, this is Tony Khan and he'd likely brag about it if anything, as he has done before (my fans are better educated and richer, take that WWE).

The announcement of doing All In and All Out a week from each other next year and running Wembley again was quite something. Two PPVs every year one after another? In fact, there was the announcement of another PPV, WrestleDream, another silly joint venture with Japan to jerk each other off, though officially to honour Antonio Inoki which... bloody hell. Inoki, infamous for his want to have wrestlers perceived as 'real' and tough guys, getting honoured by AEW? A bad joke to me, but I guess guys in AEW do bleed a lot and do garbarge wrestling, and they likely think that is close enough to count for what Inoki was. Meltzer actually said that while they've not said as such, they're basically doing monthly PPVs now which... I don't know the wisdom of. As we talked about before with their business in America where they overran markets which lead to their numbers there falling apart, the same can certainly happen with PPVs where buys drop as there is simply too many PPVs getting put out... then again, AEW fans are rich apparently so maybe they can afford it without issue.

Anyway, not going to comment on the PPV itself because I'll only have bad things to say as you might expect. However, once again CM Punk has overshadowed everything. Jack Perry, on the preshow, made a comment to the camera which referenced a story that Punk had leaked out to make himself look like a good guy dealing with children. Those who knew got it, most were going to be puzzled why the heel was suddenly announcing that his car had real glass. Afterwards the talk is Punk saw it as an affront to his authority and they got into some manner of tussle, which is yet another backstage fight. Punk has the worse luck, these things just keep happening to him.

Apparently there was talk of CM Punk threatening to quit because I suppose he is tired of having these fights that he starts. People need to shut their mouths and let him walk all over them like good boys. Potentially due to 'an investigation' it could mean he misses the event next week anyway. We'll see what happens but we shouldn't I suppose demean Khan if he once again lets Punk have his way. I mean, what is Khan supposed to do when Punk is the boss.

Side note on Punk. All these problems he has been having. He was always miserable, cynical, and a prick... but there wasn't really any of this in WWE. He had harsh words at times with some, but he didn't dare put a hand on someone even if he despised them. Some like Miz because they completely ignored Punk whilst having great standing with everyone, and others like Ryback because even Punk as arrogant as he is knows that it is generally unwise to attack a 'monster'. Booker T and RVD I believe did spit in Punk's authority, but they aren't guys Punk is going to mess with as not only did they have greater standing, but you can believe they'd have obliterated Punk easily. With all that said, most see it as Punk seeing AEW's roster as largely having easy targets for him to abuse, but... I wonder. In his UFC run he got absolutely humiliated and for some people that would become reason to avoid confrontation, as what authority can you have when people see you as a joke of a fighter. With Punk however, it may well be that it fuels his anger and so makes him far more willing to fight, as long as the opponent is considered weak anyway, so he can beat them up and then have people say that actually he is tough, it is just that the UFC is really tough you see, and everybody else in wrestling would also have got pounded like he did (wrong). 

• Like 2

Well done for Tony Kahn for finally firing Punk. Should have been fired last year with the whole Elite thing. Wonder how those Brain Busters rip offs who are the biggest Punk ass kissers in history will take this. 

Punk is a good nostalgia trip but if I'm honest he's looking his age and has lost a step since his prime in-ring. Punk had an amazing debut but it was all downhill from there. He's clearly not matured either from getting humbled in the UFC, and is arguably more difficult and confrontational than even in the past. However, he remains arguably one of the best in the business in the mic currently as his promos are always very entertaining, but certainly not at the risk of causing internal problems and usually have some element of a shoot to them to get a reaction.  

I don't see WWE going anywhere near him with his track record and clear dislike of HHH/Vince among others, but anything is possible. He was at Raw earlier in the year trying to make amends with The Miz and others, before getting kicked out by officials so clearly he had his eye on a return even then. They are going through a period of transition again and have several younger talents who should be pushed, rather than highlighting a man approaching 50 to get take one of those spots. 

Completely unrelated to Punk and on the topic of AEW, I must admit I'm coming round more to Adam Cole with his whole MJF friendship thing. I've always struggled to look past his physique, despite being talented in other areas, and could never take him seriously as a main event guy but he's been really entertaining as of late. If only he could just get in better shape!

• Like 2

I recall that when CM Punk returned at least one person (who isn't posting here anymore, and I won't bother highlighting them) attacked me as a 'hater' for not buying that CM Punk had changed and going at him. As we can see, I wasn't being irrational and knew exactly how all of this was going to go.

Some have given credit for Tony Khan getting out there and saying it in front of the Chicago crowd. I'm not. To begin with the statement in front of the crowd was a lot weaker than the one that was recorded from what I've heard, but that is all small potatoes. Ultimately Punk should have been gone last year like I said at the time, and Khan not cutting him then showed his weakness (this on top of Punk already making him look weak at the scrum). We also got to remember why these things even happen to begin with. I've spoke on how maybe Punk is now perhaps more willing to fight due to the humiliation he suffered in UFC, so he is willing to sucker punch and attack people he considers weak so he can rebuild his toughness reputation (would work better with someone actually strong obviously, but they'd obliterate Punk and he knows it).

However, it could just be as simple as this being a result of Khan being a weak boss. I don't even need to go into Vince, who is known to fire/bury people for the smallest of slights (granted, he sometimes lets people go on a whim, but you can never know if he'll do that) which puts the fear of god in everybody. HHH himself is also no joke as he commands massive respect, and I think for all the talk of Punk being some rebel against him, even Punk didn't cause trouble. There is an interview HHH did where he got questioned about Punk and he talked about Punk being a 'weird cat' I think it was phrased. Punk would be mad, he'd be saying he was going to quit, this and that. When HHH would then question him about it, there was no trouble at all and everything was good. In short, Punk had plenty of mouth when talking to midcarders/staff he felt beneath him, but if it was someone like HHH he shut his mouth. Tony Khan? Commands zero respect and is likely why Punk has felt he can get away with anything. Until Khan, from his own chicken lips, felt his own life was in danger from a deranged Punk (it is said that Punk went at Khan, and also that some monitors fell on Khan), he kept letting Punk get away with everything. Heck, forget getting away with things, Punk only got more and more rewarded the worse he got. Collision was a show Punk had a big hand in and could get people banned from, this including the HEAD OF TALENT RELATIONS, which is pure insanity. I don't care if the guy in that spot was a Johnny Ace, or someone reviled like that, someone in that position getting banned from a show by a wrestler shows a massive weakness from the boss. Speaking of Aces, you also had Ace Steel. Previously he had been hired as a favour to Punk. After the incident you'd think he'd be gone... no, instead Ace Steel basically got a contract to sit at home, do nothing, and get paid, which means Punk got him an even sweeter deal. Word on that is the contract is till September 2024 and as Steel has given them no reason to terminate the contract, they'll be paying him for another year to do nothing.

Word is Punk was trying to get out of his contract 10 months with mention of the WWE. He also stopped by the WWE to 'make things good' with the likes of the Miz, who he unfairly has hated on for years. I imagine Miz doesn't care and also doesn't buy it due to who Punk is. Heck, Punk might even be truthful on this in a sort of 'I used to think you were bad, then I met the Elite and now you've moved up the list without doing anything', but surely everyone knows that due to the sort of person that Punk is, he will never forgive Miz, being who Miz is, for main eventing WrestleMania while he hasn't. Ultimately, while not impossible, I don't see why WWE would risk themselves going for Punk. Not only does he have a problem with the management there, but many of their top guys hate Punk too, which means that even if they bring in Punk he'd have to pretty much be feuding with midcarders, something which we know sets Punk off.

We'll have to see how this goes for AEW as a whole. Hard to say, and we'll know nothing short term due to American Football wrecking the ratings, but post that... does AEW recover or do they start getting regularly outdone by NXT (which is a superior show by the way. Having green talent on the show beats having rotten talent)? On one hand Punk does, or at least did have quite the hardcore fanbase, and that fanbase was very much a strong core of support for AEW. Them being contained in AEW has been a boon for WWE as they no longer are there making things miserable for people and trying to hijack shows. That said, in AEW such people do tend to be good little fans who'll defend AEW to the death, even if they are doing things that they'd be attacking WWE with absolute venom for if they did the same thing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Valzentia said:

In this thread: a lot of Elite ass-kissers.

Jungle Boy and the Bucks should be sacked too, but Tony is too much of a suck-up to do so, unfortunately.

I like the Elite. I'm not an ass kisser though. I also like Switchblade Jay White and Bullet Club (any iteration). However i don't like the Ass Boys.

2 hours ago, Valzentia said:

In this thread: a lot of Elite ass-kissers.

Jungle Boy and the Bucks should be sacked too, but Tony is too much of a suck-up to do so, unfortunately.

I hope you aren't including me in that. I'm not sure I've ever had a good word to say about the Bucks, and only Moxley (In AEW, WWE could contain his worse impulses) and his style of wrestling repels me more than them. Punk, while heavily overrated to me (in ring and on the mic), certainly has a better wrestling style than those two groups. He is also a heavily unpleasant person who goes after those he considers beneath him, usually for wrongs that exist only in his own mind.

Explain why Jungle Boy should be fired. As a report came out which I can believe, his reasoning was he was doing it for heel heat. As in such a comment would get pro-Punk fans to hate and boo him. That makes sense to me, and Punk should know about doing stuff like that as he has done it himself throughout his career. Why is it that Punk is allowed to do these things to others, but no one can do it to him? Also, provoking it or not, a minor comment like what Jack Perry said is not enough reason for Punk to lose his mind. If Perry had said something about his wife, just kicked his dog, or whatever? Fine, I understand. Referencing a story Punk had put out to make himself look good? No. As for the Bucks... what do they have to do with this? That as Perry and them are friends that means they put Perry up to it? Sorry, but even if that were the case, then I don't see what is punishable there. In fact, if Punk was going to go insane over such a minor matter, then they rendered a service if anything.

10 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

I hope you aren't including me in that. I'm not sure I've ever had a good word to say about the Bucks, and only Moxley (In AEW, WWE could contain his worse impulses) and his style of wrestling repels me more than them. Punk, while heavily overrated to me (in ring and on the mic), certainly has a better wrestling style than those two groups. He is also a heavily unpleasant person who goes after those he considers beneath him, usually for wrongs that exist only in his own mind.

Explain why Jungle Boy should be fired. As a report came out which I can believe, his reasoning was he was doing it for heel heat. As in such a comment would get pro-Punk fans to hate and boo him. That makes sense to me, and Punk should know about doing stuff like that as he has done it himself throughout his career. Why is it that Punk is allowed to do these things to others, but no one can do it to him? Also, provoking it or not, a minor comment like what Jack Perry said is not enough reason for Punk to lose his mind. If Perry had said something about his wife, just kicked his dog, or whatever? Fine, I understand. Referencing a story Punk had put out to make himself look good? No. As for the Bucks... what do they have to do with this? That as Perry and them are friends that means they put Perry up to it? Sorry, but even if that were the case, then I don't see what is punishable there. In fact, if Punk was going to go insane over such a minor matter, then they rendered a service if anything.

not to intrude but if you dont like AEW, why are you even in this thread?

As for why i would fire Jack Perry, he's about as talented as his garbage father.

Just now, Infected Elite said:

not to intrude but if you dont like AEW, why are you even in this thread?

As for why i would fire Jack Perry, he's about as talented as his garbage father.

I stopped commenting on the shows themselves because it was just going to be negative and didn't want to get in the way of people posting what they liked, though they stopped doing so anyway. That however doesn't apply to these CM Punk matters which is drama rather than the product. Drama which I've said Punk was inevitably going to cause because that is the type of person he is, but certain fans of AEW out there didn't want to hear it at the time.

It'll be sink or swim for Perry now. He might have a lot of hate following him around for a number of years over this. It'll be no good if he can't be a good heel though.

2 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

I stopped commenting on the shows themselves because it was just going to be negative and didn't want to get in the way of people posting what they liked, though they stopped doing so anyway. That however doesn't apply to these CM Punk matters which is drama rather than the product. Drama which I've said Punk was inevitably going to cause because that is the type of person he is, but certain fans of AEW out there didn't want to hear it at the time.

It'll be sink or swim for Perry now. He might have a lot of hate following him around for a number of years over this. It'll be no good if he can't be a good heel though.

Still doesnt make sense why you'd be here though. But I mean had Punk stayed, i could only hope he got another severe injury. I'd be laughing. 

I think Perry has hate because he's bland and boring. 

Well CM Punk will no doubt come out on a Podcast and tell his side for sure, and it will be different to what were are hearing, that much is obvious. One thing going around is The Elite were meant to meet with Punk the week before All In and The Elite cancelled, which frustrated Punk even more, and I guess things just boiled over more when Jungle Boy Jack Perry did that shoot during the match and said it's real glass cry me a river which in turn Punk got pissed about and things happened from there. CM Punk has always been a controversial character, so it's not like Tony Khan did not know what he was getting himself into.

However, that being said Jungle Boy was unprofessional, and he should be punished too along with the Bucks simply because they're EVP'S, and they cannot sit down with talent and try and handle business the right way instead they wait till he is fired then show up on Collision and then after the show went off the air one of the Bucks did a victory lap in the ring so yeah Tony Khan is running a sinking ship if he allows this behaviour to continue.

2 minutes ago, TheRetroManiac said:

Well CM Punk will no doubt come out on a Podcast and tell his side for sure, and it will be different to what were are hearing, that much is obvious. One thing going around is The Elite were meant to meet with Punk the week before All In and The Elite cancelled, which frustrated Punk even more, and I guess things just boiled over more when Jungle Boy Jack Perry did that shoot during the match and said it's real glass cry me a river which in turn Punk got pissed about and things happened from there. CM Punk has always been a controversial character, so it's not like Tony Khan did not know what he was getting himself into.

However, that being said Jungle Boy was unprofessional, and he should be punished too along with the Bucks simply because they're EVP'S, and they cannot sit down with talent and try and handle business the right way instead they wait till he is fired then show up on Collision and then after the show went off the air one of the Bucks did a victory lap in the ring so yeah Tony Khan is running a sinking ship if he allows this behaviour to continue.

Considering what happened to the last guy with a podcast who hosted Punk for him to take shots at a Wrestling company and it's people... that would be quite the risk. Punk's anger comes from someone questioning his authority publicly, nothing more. The stories are out there that Punk has always tried to be a locker room leader type, but he has never managed it in WWE because there were always senior guys around who saw him as a joke thinking he had the cache to be trying that with them around. Punk back then was younger and knew better than to push the issue with said senior guys though. With AEW he sees guys like the Bucks, Hangman, Perry, so forth as nobodies who should be honoured that he is there helping them out, not questioning him. As Punk said, 'they've never done anything in the business', so who are they to think they know better than him. What Punk misses of course is that people who get those positions do so because they command respect and it is freely given. All pressing the matter as Punk has done both in AEW and also in ROH is make enemies. Him singling out Kevin Owens and attempting to humiliate him in front of the roster is why Kevin Owens hates Punk, and shocker, Owen's friends don't exactly appreciate how he was treated by Punk either.

'Never interfere with an enemy while he is in the process of destroying himself'. Credit to the Bucks, because they really handled Punk perfectly. While his name has been away from all of this, I'd not be shocked if Jericho advised them on that one. Punk is ever the victim and once he has you marked as an enemy you don't even need to actually do anything, as he'll jump at anything he perceives as you being behind, which just works to make him look crazy. Him looking more crazy makes more people turn against him, which in turn makes him think you're behind that too, and so the vicious circle continues until he destroys himself.