Microsoft's Don Mattrick Leaving Company for Zynga

Aranea Highwind

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/01/microsofts-don-mattrick-leaving-microsoft-for-zynga

Don Mattrick, president of Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, is allegedly leaving the company for a high-ranking position at Zynga. Mattrick's appointment could be announced as early as today, according to AllThingsD. Mattrick was the corporate face of Xbox; he revealed the Xbox One in May. Zynga, meanwhile, laid of 520 employees in June.

Mattrick, following mixed messaging, recently explained why Microsoft decided to reverse its policies surrounding Xbox One's online and DRM restrictions. He also said that gamers who didn't approve of those policies should stick with Xbox 360.

Update: Zynga has confirmed in a press release that former Microsoft Entertainment and Devices boss Don Mattrick has been named Chief Executive Officer of the PC software company. He will also sit on Zynga's Board of Directors. Both positions take effect next Monday, July 8, 2013.

"Don is unique in the game business," Zynga founder Mark Pincus said. "He can execute in multiple domains -- hardware, software, and network."

Microsoft refused to comment. Mattrick's direct reports will now come under the wing of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

Mattrick had been at Microsoft leading the EAD division (which includes the Xbox) for six years. "I joined Zynga because I believe that Mark's pioneering vision and mission to connect the world through games is just getting started," he said. "Zynga is a great business that has yet to realize its full potential. I'm proud to partner with Mark to deliver high-quality, fun, social games wherever people want to play."

Edited by Jill Valentine

Considering his behavior in the past few months, I'm pretty sure that this is legit.

Standard behavior for someone planning to swap jobs; be a complete tool.

Nevertheless -- good riddance. I normally don't care much for those in the industry enough to hate someone as much as I did him, but he put himself in that light. =/

Still big mistake going from one company that lost touch with it's fan base to another company the rate they going might not exist. Poor choice overall to me. Trust me this casual gaming phase that Zynga created for the PC is fading hardcore now. I'd like to hear if him coming on board either helps or further put this company into the ground.