Kill Your Completion X

*snipper a bit here and there*

(Sorry, the titles are getting a bit tired now, I'm just glad this event is almost over. Writing up synopses for each game is tiring.)

Okay, that's sort of a wall of text, but you can see where I am going here. Ni no Kuni II had to be started at a very bad time. I had finally platinumed the original Dragon Quest Builders and promised not to play the sequel until that was done, so I started playing DQB2 blind and NNK2 had a hard time. But I did eventually start playing it... and with sound on! (I usually mute the games I play.)

So putting aside Dragon Quest games, this game is a very beautiful game. It's the technical sequel to Wrath of the White Witch, but other than an obscure reference in the beginning during a series of puzzles you have to solve telling a legend which includes Mornstar, a weapon you get in that game, and Ding Dong Dell existing in both games(and having cat-people in both), this game is totally divorced from the first game in both story(the President of the United States gets teleported to Ni No Kuni's world and de-aged by twenty years to help a prince who is usurped by a villainous advisor) and gameplay(the first has Tales of Symphonia like combat, this is pure action RPG combat).

Instead of taming and raising familiars, this game uses strange puppet-like Pikmin creatures called Higgledies, which support you in combat. One of the sidequests has you finding strange stones and offering items to them and if you guess what they want from their clues, they spit out a Higgledie which you can equip to your team(you can equip four groups of Higgledies) and form a powerful support group to keep you alive in boss fights, and boy will you need them as boss fights pull no punches. ;)

The Struggle:

I've stopped after you get your first new party members, at the beginning of Chapter 3, and this game is gorgeous and easy to get into for those who love Wrath of the White Witch(which is getting a PS4 remaster on the same month as Dragon Quest XI for the Nintendo Switch) and got its full line-up of DLC(which for some reason I cannot access right now).

I think picking only JRPGs in particular may have had a bit to do with it feeling somewhat tiresome to write about the games for the event. I know a few former participants share the same game preference as you do and their lists also mostly consisted of JRPGs or VNs, however they tended to have either smaller lists, or only one game of a franchise. Maybe you can try out fewer games over the same period for next time, and see if it's better that way for you. That way you can spread out your thoughts better as well, so it doesn't have to be in one big chunk. Mind you, it's justa suggestion, you do how you think it's best for you.

Personally I thought Ni No Kuni was good, but at the same time underwhelming. It seemed to me like a game stuck in an identity crisis that keeps trying new mechanics and genre mixes, doesn't stick with the interesting ones while keeping others that just end up feeling tacked on and kind of pointless (one of them being the little bouncing marshmallow things you mentioned (i can't remember their name...). Wasn't a fan of the lack of voice-acting either and the story felt a bit bland to me. Visually it was great though, as was the music and the combat (then again I'll take action.rpg over traditional rpg combat most of the time).

On a different note... Why do you tend to play with the sound muted, if I may ask? I only muted maybe a handful of games and most of them were JRPGs from the PS2 era that didn't have individual volume sliders. Eventually the music in those games would start to annoy me so much that I had to turn off all the sound.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I think picking only JRPGs in particular may have had a bit to do with it feeling somewhat tiresome to write about the games for the event. I know a few former participants share the same game preference as you do and their lists also mostly consisted of JRPGs or VNs, however they tended to have either smaller lists, or only one game of a franchise. Maybe you can try out fewer games over the same period for next time, and see if it's better that way for you. That way you can spread out your thoughts better as well, so it doesn't have to be in one big chunk. Mind you, it's justa suggestion, you do how you think it's best for you.

@RuneEyesDragon  - Just to piggyback off what Voodoo said, I learned the HARD way after one of my first KYCs to mix and match big titles with little, quick games. AAA title after AAA title really exhausted me, although it's a hell of a way to kill a completion!

Nowadays, I throw little things in like Flower or Knee Deep to break up the slog fest from mammoth games. I hope you join future KYCs, your reviews are great!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

@RuneEyesDragon  - Just to piggyback off what Voodoo said, I learned the HARD way after one of my first KYCs to mix and match big titles with little, quick games. AAA title after AAA title really exhausted me, although it's a hell of a way to kill a completion!

Nowadays, I throw little things in like Flower or Knee Deep to break up the slog fest from mammoth games. I hope you join future KYCs, your reviews are great!!

Yeah, I know, ten triple-A 100-hour RPGs is not really a good strat... but the reason I joined this event was because I had all of these physical discs of games I really loved, but part of me was willing to sell his soul(and those games) to GameStop to get quick easy platinums like LEGO Jurassic World xD so I really wanted to force myself to platinum those games by stamping a trophy on them since you can never delete a game that has one trophy on it.

If I join future KYCs, I will try to find some smaller games that I can clear quickly after the event ends. The last game on my list might surprise you a bit, though. :)

• Like 2

On 24/07/2019 at 1:25 PM, PerryToxteth said:

Thanks for the review! I've had this one on my radar for awhile. I'll grab it next time it's on sale.

I saw a Lancaster last year at the RAF Museum. What a beauty! I still find it crazy though, that it only had one pilot. But as my aviation buddy told me, England's a small island, and if there were two pilots, that's double the training on resources that are already stretched to the max. 

Are there any American bombers in the game? B-17s, B-24s, or B-29s?

The Lancaster is a pretty special plane, i was lucky enough to have to one flying about 100m above my house last month as part of the armed forces day celebrations and that was a sight to see. I think your friend is right about the pilots, i think the lifespan of a pilot in WW2 was expected to be something like 50 days which is pretty crazy when you think about it, so it was very much make do with whatever is available.

Regarding american planes there is an add on (USAAF) which i believe adds an american plane but i've not played it myself, but if you are interested might be worth picking up the complete edition if that is on sale as well.

• Like 2

OK, so I have been away for the past 5 days and haven't played any games. Tried playing the Vita on the coach back but couldn't get rid of the largest game to download anything I wanted. Bit of a lame excuse overall but what can you do.

Will put up a review of Darkest Dungeon later and possibly one other game.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:31 AM, dmland12 said:

Game #2: Fenix Furia

La1ba6a.png

Trophies: 31/36 (80%)

Completion: 95.55% (-0.13%, -0.73% from start)

Challenge mode was definitely my favorite other than the final boss. Easily the hardest part of the entire game. I enjoyed God Mode as well though. Glad you had fun man. 

• Like 1