I was hoping it was because of trophies/organization. Why have the definitive series have its own trophy list vs having it linked to each games existing trophy list? I'm sure there are more examples, but The Witcher 3 does this same thing, where it has a separate trophy list for the complete edition for literally no reason. TWD Definitive seems even worse because its less trophies for same content. In this definitive series you get 24 trophies including one platinum for playing four entire games. If you play the games individually you'll get 40ish trophies each with a couple platinums.

Edited by spacey_dweeb

11 minutes ago, The Blakk Vulture said:

What about those who have bought it already? Would they be refunded or would the game come back at some point with bug fixes? Who knows. Either way, I'm kinda glad I haven't bought it yet.

I think they are trying to fix it i saw a tweet on their twitter page

5 minutes ago, spacey_dweeb said:

I was hoping it was because of trophies/organization. Why have the definitive series have its own trophy list vs having it linked to each games existing trophy list? I'm sure there are more examples, but The Witcher 3 does this same thing, where it has a separate trophy list for the complete edition for literally no reason. TWD Definitive seems even worse because its less trophies for same content. In this definitive series you get 24 trophies including one platinum for playing four entire games. If you play the games individually you'll get 40ish trophies each with a couple platinums.

No, the trophies are what they are at this point and are not changing.  It has to be that the game is actually not even running.  Wooooooo!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ScottishNub said:

Guy's i can't find this game on the uk store and looks like it's completely removed already is anyone seen this and some how it's on the na store 

I've emailed their PR to see what's happening. I imagine it's so more people don't grab it whilst there are download issues (just tried downloading on my second PS4 and it only grabs the initial portion). 

Physical owners seem to be able to run it okay and our review version is fine (as we had it pre-launch digitally). I'm sure it'll only take a day or so for PSN to fix the download though (hopefully)

19 minutes ago, spacey_dweeb said:

No game would ever be pulled for this and there's no way the game could have ever linked to the original trophies. This is a collection, not five individual games, so in the backend it's a single product. This means it has a single CUSA code and only one set of trophies.

Although, even if they had released it and it was split into five via multiple launch tiles or a menu before launch, it still wouldn't have linked as this is done by Skybound and not Telltale, so again, they would all have their own reference in the backend which wouldn't link to the originals (except the fourth game).

The Witcher 3 has a new set because the game is different in both versions. One contains all the DLC on the disc, the other is just the base game - two different products as far as PSN is concerned. Had CDPR launched the GOTY edition with a download code for the DLC, then it would have linked to the same trophy list. That's why Spider-Man GOTY has a download code for the Season Pass - so the trophies sync together and it isn't a new trophy list.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, turniplord said:

I've emailed their PR to see what's happening. I imagine it's so more people don't grab it whilst there are download issues (just tried downloading on my second PS4 and it only grabs the initial portion). 

Physical owners seem to be able to run it okay and our review version is fine (as we had it pre-launch digitally). I'm sure it'll only take a day or so for PSN to fix the download though (hopefully)

No game would ever be pulled for this and there's no way the game could have ever linked to the original trophies. This is a collection, not five individual games, so in the backend it's a single product. This means it has a single CUSA code and only one set of trophies.

Although, even if they had released it and it was split into five via multiple launch tiles or a menu before launch, it still wouldn't have linked as this is done by Skybound and not Telltale, so again, they would all have their own reference in the backend which wouldn't link to the originals (except the fourth game).

The Witcher 3 has a new set because the game is different in both versions. One contains all the DLC on the disc, the other is just the base game - two different products as far as PSN is concerned. Had CDPR launched the GOTY edition with a download code for the DLC, then it would have linked to the same trophy list. That's why Spider-Man GOTY has a download code for the Season Pass - so the trophies sync together and it isn't a new trophy list.

I guess this is like arkham knight on steam just being pulled until it was able to run

3 hours ago, ScottishNub said:

I guess this is like arkham knight on steam just being pulled until it was able to run

Not the same reasons but similar (based on speculation). Batman just didn't work so they pulled it due to technical issues with the game. This just has issues with the download so they probably just have to wait for PSN to approve the full download again so it'll download for everyone as the game was technically fine.

Update from the devs: https://www.skybound.com/games/telltales-the-walking-dead/update-on-telltales-the-walking-dead-definitive-series-on-ps4

They're working on getting it back up asap.

Edited by turniplord
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, turniplord said:

You make a really good point about this being Skybound and not Telltale and therefore unlikely to be possible to link them legally. What you say about The Witcher 3 is exactly my point. They could have packaged it differently like Spider-Man and kept the same list. They just didn't. Although having all DLC on one disc could be considered a selling point.

2 minutes ago, spacey_dweeb said:

You make a really good point about this being Skybound and not Telltale and therefore unlikely to be possible to link them legally. What you say about The Witcher 3 is exactly my point. They could have packaged it differently like Spider-Man and kept the same list. They just didn't. Although having all DLC on one disc could be considered a selling point.

All I saw on my feed when Spider-Man was confirmed to be the same game but a code in the box for DLC, was people complaining that they wanted it all in one package. There are reasons why they do and don't do that.

CDPR are very open about their stance on giving gamers more and not having DRM etc... so having it all on the disc means anyone can pop the disc in and play it with all the updates and patches and DLC without connecting to the internet - so it's almost perfectly preserved (if there were no major issues patched post-launch.

Spider-Man is now only giving the first person the DLC, if it's bought second hand, that person will also have to buy the Season Pass off PSN if they want the extra features (unlike Witcher), so it'll see some return from the second-hand market whereas The Witcher won't. Also, the disc is simply left over stock from the initial pressings (or a continuation of the same run), so you still need the internet to get all the updates. I installed the game for the first time the other day and it had 19gb of patches - that's before the 2-3gb for each DLC download.

Honestly, Spider-Man should have been like the Witcher, all DLC and patches on the disc - but it's not financially viable for Sony in a few ways and it'll cost to press new versions of the game - plus it would create a new trophy list as well. 

The game also has to get re-approved by the ESRB and PEGI if it's a bundle, so there's the costs involved there as well. If it's packaged with a code, there's no need to re-approve it. there's a lot of things in the background and most publishers will try and do it the easiest and cheapest way.

Coming back to Walking Dead though, Skybound had no choice but to do it as it's own thing because they've taken over. Recently, Farming sim 15 has popped back up on PSNProfiles (think it was that one). That's because the license for that particular game is now with another publisher, so it had to be re-approved and therefore is a 'new game' with a new trophy list, even though it's most likely the exact same game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turniplord said:

All I saw on my feed when Spider-Man was confirmed to be the same game but a code in the box for DLC, was people complaining that they wanted it all in one package. There are reasons why they do and don't do that.

CDPR are very open about their stance on giving gamers more and not having DRM etc... so having it all on the disc means anyone can pop the disc in and play it with all the updates and patches and DLC without connecting to the internet - so it's almost perfectly preserved (if there were no major issues patched post-launch.

Spider-Man is now only giving the first person the DLC, if it's bought second hand, that person will also have to buy the Season Pass off PSN if they want the extra features (unlike Witcher), so it'll see some return from the second-hand market whereas The Witcher won't. Also, the disc is simply left over stock from the initial pressings (or a continuation of the same run), so you still need the internet to get all the updates. I installed the game for the first time the other day and it had 19gb of patches - that's before the 2-3gb for each DLC download.

Honestly, Spider-Man should have been like the Witcher, all DLC and patches on the disc - but it's not financially viable for Sony in a few ways and it'll cost to press new versions of the game - plus it would create a new trophy list as well. 

The game also has to get re-approved by the ESRB and PEGI if it's a bundle, so there's the costs involved there as well. If it's packaged with a code, there's no need to re-approve it. there's a lot of things in the background and most publishers will try and do it the easiest and cheapest way.

Coming back to Walking Dead though, Skybound had no choice but to do it as it's own thing because they've taken over. Recently, Farming sim 15 has popped back up on PSNProfiles (think it was that one). That's because the license for that particular game is now with another publisher, so it had to be re-approved and therefore is a 'new game' with a new trophy list, even though it's most likely the exact same game.

And not a single one of those reasons has anything to do with the trophy list.  I can name 100+ games on PS3 and PS4 that got Complete/GOTY/Definitive versions with all or some DLC on the disc and none of them had brand new trophy lists because of it.  Whatever the reason CD Projekt Red had for creating a new trophy list I can't speculate, but they certainly did not have to do that simply because the DLC was bundled.  This may be becoming more popular due to devs finally realizing trophy hunters exist (and will buy their game multiple times to complete additional lists), but for the last decade it certainly was a rare case.  Yes, there's plenty of games that gave the DLC in those editions as codes, but there were just as many that created new discs with the base game and DLC on the disc and used the original trophy list, including all the DLC.  There is no requirement of a new list just because it's bundled on the disc.

17 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

And not a single one of those reasons has anything to do with the trophy list.  I can name 100+ games on PS3 and PS4 that got Complete/GOTY/Definitive versions with all or some DLC on the disc and none of them had brand new trophy lists because of it.  Whatever the reason CD Projekt Red had for creating a new trophy list I can't speculate, but they certainly did not have to do that simply because the DLC was bundled.  This may be becoming more popular due to devs finally realizing trophy hunters exist (and will buy their game multiple times to complete additional lists), but for the last decade it certainly was a rare case.  Yes, there's plenty of games that gave the DLC in those editions as codes, but there were just as many that created new discs with the base game and DLC on the disc and used the original trophy list, including all the DLC.  There is no requirement of a new list just because it's bundled on the disc.

Can you name any game this generation which has both a base game version and a GOTY with the DLC on the disc which populates the same trophy list regardless of which version you pick up?

The PS3 and PS4 are different - the trophies worked a bit differently. 

Actually, can you name a few PS3 games which were all on disc and not a code which didn't branch into a new list? I can't think of any off the top of my head

Shadow of Mordor - another example of how the GOTY edition had to have a separate trophy list because it had all the DLC on the disc and not just the base game + a voucher.

Res Evil 7 is the only game I can see which has the DLC on disc with no codes to unlock them and still uses the same list.

Edited by turniplord

3 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Can you name any game this generation which has both a base game version and a GOTY with the DLC on the disc which populates the same trophy list regardless of which version you pick up?

The PS3 and PS4 are different - the trophies worked a bit differently. 

Actually, can you name a few PS3 games which were all on disc and not a code which didn't branch into a new list? I can't think of any off the top of my head

Don't pay much attention to things like trophy list so I might be wrong but doesn't Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition and Bloodborne GOTY have the DLC and patches already on the disk and both use the same trophy list from the main game?

3 minutes ago, TugaSonic said:

Don't pay much attention to things like trophy list so I might be wrong but doesn't Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition and Bloodborne GOTY have the DLC and patches already on the disk and both use the same trophy list from the main game?

Cool, don't own either of those but looking online it seems to be on the disc. So there are a few. With regards to this particular game though (Telltale), it wouldn't have been possible to share lists as it's a new publisher - only the final game could have potentially shared the list of their published version from earlier this year.

3 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Hitman never had a base game on disc though - it just had the GOTY edition which launched after the digital versions had all released, there wasn't a version out originally with just part one then another with everything later.

Oh, right okay, I see what you mean.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:04 PM, turniplord said:

Does Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition on PS3 count? I’m aware there’s a Japanese trophy stack for that game so I don’t really know what the situation was between the JP and WW Vanilla/GOTY releases.

Edited by Dry

1 hour ago, PepsiMaxVanilla said:

Does Dead Island: Game Of The Year Edition on PS3 count? I’m aware there’s a Japanese trophy stack for that game so I don’t really know what the situation was between the Japanese and WW VanillalGOTY releases.

NTSC base and GOTY have the same list. Japanese base and GOTY have the same list, so there are 2 lists, but they are just regional stacks. GOTY versions on both don't have separate lists.