PlayStation 4 - Friends List and Party Chat Info

HeySumbode

2000!? What? Who the hell will add 2000 people? What the hell is this facebook?

Who says you have to add 2,000 people? Why is having a high limit a bad thing when one of the complaints about the PS3 was having too small a limit on friends?

Parker

• Like 2

Who says you have to add 2,000 people? Why is having a high limit a bad thing when one of the complaints about the PS3 was having too small a limit on friends?

Parker

It's not a bad thing but still 2,000 is a bit much, yeah i know about the complaints but personally i never reached the limit i always had around 40 - 60 people on all of my accounts.

My thoughts exactly, Arch.

Jill has a point as well wouldn't that weigh on your connection a bit and cause interference maybe cloud could be a work around on that.

You'll see people begging for friend requests because #psswag

Comments wlll probably range from "swaggie" to "yolo". I think we need to go on a hunt and kick some serious ass.

2,000 friends is a huge number. Still I still do my 2 year inactive wipe check unless the person in question was really cool. Still nice extension. The best part is the party chat is free UNLIKE the other guy. Sony still keeps it strong in my eyes.

Prepared to receive to friend requests like "#swaggie" "Hey Bro, add me YOLO!". But group chat is going to be amazing.

Edited by Archwarbear

How will this work with the PS3 friends list since your friends list is shared across your Sony devices? Will this increase also appear on the PS3?

I'm wondering about this as well.

Example: Your list on the PS4 builds up to around 500 or so and then you feel the need to play GTA V on your PS3, because it isn't on the PS4 (based from the current info). Which ones of your friends will show up when you sign in on your PS3?

• Like 2

Prepared to receive to friend requests like "#swaggie" "Hey Bro, add me YOLO!". But group chat is going to be amazing.

Thanks for the warning and I'll avoid :). Anyhow group chat I'll use but not all the flippin' time. There are times I go online, play SP and use it to update my trophies I get like for example earning the 5 heart trophy for Ni No Kuni. I'll avoid the COD Kiddies also wanting to voice chat.

• Like 1

I'm wondering about this as well.

Example: Your list on the PS4 builds up to around 500 or so and then you feel the need to play GTA V on your PS3, because it isn't on the PS4 (based from the current info). Which ones of your friends will show up when you sign in on your PS3?

There will be a way to organize and group friends.

Your question will be handled in one of two ways.... Either you'll have a group of up to 100 core/close friends, those will appear on your PS3. Or (What I believe) There will be an update to the PS3 firmware that will increase the max on the friends list and probably rework how trophies are uploaded and viewed. The reason it takes so long sometimes to sync your trophy list compare with others and see your friends list is really a software issue. The PS3 itself is not the problem.

Parker

It is a great point and something that has been getting on my nerves lately.

I'm tired of people bitching about gaming becoming more social and the loss of privacy. This isn't an issue of government surveillance or spying (which I strongly oppose). Your gaming experience, your social connectivity or lack thereof is what you make it. You only want 10 people on your friends list..... Then don't add anymore people. Sony set a 2000 max, there is no minimum friend requirement.

If you don't want your real name out there, If you don't want people to see what you look like then don't do those things. This isn't a requirement it's an option for those who choose to use it.

I for one am excited, Gaming is my favorite hobby. If you love gaming and you love PlayStation then at the very least we have several things in common. I'd like to know more about the people on my friends list. Greater connectivity means easier connectivity, which can lead to closer more meaningful relationships. Who wouldn't want to make more friends and have more meaningful relationships with those friends. The thing is I still get to choose who my friends are and how we interact and you are given that choice too. 

If anything gaming becoming more social will make it easier to identify and remove people we don't like. If someone's a troll, asshole, immature or just plan crazy it will be easier to find out and distance or completely remove them. Besides people's behavior tends to parallel the level of anonymity. If I'm willing to reveal my name and what I look like you can be reasonably sure if you add me I won't be trolling and acting a dick all the time. This is a really good thing, and the best part is if you don't feel that way you don't need to change anything, you can stay PSNID: ?????????, use the same avatar and enjoy gaming in the same way you have been.  

Edited by mturismo
  • Like 1

Well ain't that the sad Goddamn truth.

No, not at all. From what we've been told all the social features on the PlayStation 4 can be turned off, so you can be as social as you'd prefer to be. I am still failing to see how a 2,000 friend limit is a bad thing. Just because there is a limit doesn't mean you have to reach that limit. 

Parker

• Like 1

2000 is a lot but at least now people can't complain about not having enough friend slots to add people.

You'd think upping the limit would stop the complaining, but as per usual with the entitled gaming crowd we now have people complaining that 2,000 is too many... You just can't please some people it seems. 

Parker

You'd think upping the limit would stop the complaining, but as per usual with the entitled gaming crowd we now have people complaining that 2,000 is too many... You just can't please some people it seems. 

Parker

While I agree this is a good thing overall, I can see one negative aspect.

I have a really annoying person in my class, who likes to think we're friends. I don't want to hurt his feelings, so I added him on PSN. Now, somebody who I really don't like, I would say 'my friends list is full' (I have somebody in mind....). With a 2,000 friend limit, there will be no excuses.

Still, like I said, it is over-all a good thing.