Some Important Tips for RE HD you may not know.

Winds-of-Neptune

Thank you for these tips! I am brand new to the RE series and I am doing a blind playthrough of the game right now without worrying about trophies. I started out by following the guide and going for a knife only run, but I was quickly overwhelmed by the camera, controls, and item management and had to abandon course.

I’m surprised this platinum has a high % and low difficulty rating because this one seems really complicated to the point of being overwhelming! I’m probably going to have to run through the game 3-4 times before I can even think of attempting shit like the speed run, invisible zombies etc. I’m going to need all the help I can get lol.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Thank you for these tips! I am brand new to the RE series and I am doing a blind playthrough of the game right now without worrying about trophies. I started out by following the guide and going for a knife only run, but I was quickly overwhelmed by the camera, controls, and item management and had to abandon course.

I’m surprised this platinum has a high % and low difficulty rating because this one seems really complicated to the point of being overwhelming! I’m probably going to have to run through the game 3-4 times before I can even think of attempting shit like the speed run, invisible zombies etc. I’m going to need all the help I can get lol.

I did this recently and it took me 2 playthroughs to get the hang of things. It really does just get easier everytime you play it. By the time I did the speedrun I did it in 2 hours.

• Like 1

very good game, grew up playing them.

some more tips. crimson heads, yawn and tyrant always attack your last psition, and if your running when they start their next attack pattern they will chase you down till you stop. so stop shoot run is key to taking no damage. same for plant 42 if you fight it on the balcony.

pausing game doesn't stop in game timer for speedruns, you have to save and go back to title screen. and if you play with tank controls tapping r1 when descening, or ascending stairs doubles your speed.

running diagonally into walls back and forth quickly near zombies has a good chance of triggering their lunge attack, the moment they lunge you can run past, diagonally into the wall note that if you hesitate or move away even for a split second, running back past will most likely trigger a second lunge.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I did this recently and it took me 2 playthroughs to get the hang of things. It really does just get easier everytime you play it. By the time I did the speedrun I did it in 2 hours.

Glad to hear it. I’m sure it won’t look so daunting after running through the game a few times but believe me right now that shit looks like a crimson head zombie coming down the hallway at me. ?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 21/12/2020 at 6:01 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I’m surprised this platinum has a high % and low difficulty rating because this one seems really complicated to the point of being overwhelming! 

How did you find it in the end? I've often looked at the list and found it difficult to parse, despite getting the game for free from PSPlus years ago.

Edited by bikeman223

16 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

How did you find it in the end? I've often looked at the list and found it difficult to parse, despite getting the game for free from PSPlus years ago.

I don't think the game is as hard as it is made out to be. The first playthrough is the "hardest" because of the unknown and the controls. After the first playthrough it get's easier and easier, even invisible and hard mode trophies would feel easier. However, this still isn't an easy plat, you'll have to work for it, 5/10 is a good difficulty rating.

It could be a 4/10, a 3/10 would definitely be too low though. 6/10 is ehhhhhh, maybe if you play 1/10 games only.

Saying this though, I did play it back on the GameCube. Looking back on how I did knife only under 5 hours on my first playthrough.

• Like 1

Since posting this back in December, I’ve finished both Resident Evil HD & Resident Evil 0, both of which are nearly identical in the gameplay and the trophy list requirements.

For a first time Resident Evil player, these games can feel very daunting when you first start. It takes awhile to get used to the controls and the fixed camera angles. The labyrinthian environments of doors, rooms, and hallways can feel very confusing and overwhelming, and the necessity of item/inventory management can be a big adjustment at first - especially in RE0 where you are controlling 2 characters at once and don’t have item boxes to store items. On top of that, the trophy lists are highly complicated and demanding and will involve many repeat playthroughs under specific circumstances.

However, just like Jonesey said, it really does get easier with every repeat playthrough! And I actually found the experience to be quite unique. Being forced to play through a game multiple times can sometimes be really tedious and irritating for me, but in the case of Resident Evil, I actually couldn’t get enough. A huge part of the fun of this game is watching your knowledge, memorization, and speed increase exponentially with every subsequent run. By the time you’ve played through the game 6 or 7 times you feel like a Resident Evil god, approaching the mansions like a science and being able to clear the entire thing in a couple hours or less.

With RE HD & RE0, I feel like I got a tiny taste of the world of speedrunning, and what makes speedrunning so appealing to those hardcore types of gamers who play the same games endlessly and strive for perfection and improvement with each new run. For perhaps the first time ever, I feel like I understand the appeal of pushing yourself in this way.

I pretty much agree with everything you said concerning this game’s difficulty. For me, these games actually hit the PERFECT sweet spot where they offer a great challenge, but aren’t too difficult at the same time. I feel like most trophy hunters would have the skills to be able to platinum this game, however, like you said - you will need to earn it. This is a challenging platinum that will test your skills and your knowledge of the game, and force you to earn every trophy. But that’s probably why it felt so utterly satisfying to pop that platinum at the end of my journey! ?

I’m proud of both my new Resident Evil plats, and I’m hooked and intrigued by the series now. The next one I’ve got ready and queued up to play is the recent Resident Evil 2 Remake, which I am greatly looking forward to. It looks amazing!

Good luck to anybody going for this game in the future. And if you’re new to the franchise like I was, don’t hesitate to dive right in. It’s a really awesome time!

• Like 2

To be completely honest Resident Evil games are pretty easy and the platinum for this was straight forward just like most of them, it's all about patterns, you can even beat the game without killing any enemies, I got platinum in almost all of them and only Revelations 2 got on my nerves so far.

Burritoprime.png

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

I don't think the game is as hard as it is made out to be. The first playthrough is the "hardest" because of the unknown and the controls. After the first playthrough it get's easier and easier, even invisible and hard mode trophies would feel easier. However, this still isn't an easy plat, you'll have to work for it, 5/10 is a good difficulty rating.

Interesting. Knowing Capcom however, maybe I should hold out for the inevitable remake of REmake.

Edited by bikeman223

18 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

Interesting. Knowing Capcom however, maybe I should hold out for the inevitable remake of REmake.

Fair enough.

Though I will say that if they do a REmake it would most likely be a REmake of the original 1996 PS1 Resident Evil in third person. In other words 2002 REmake and 20xx REmake would probably be very different.

9 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

Fair enough.

Though I will say that if they do a REmake it would most likely be a REmake of the original 1996 PS1 Resident Evil in third person. In other words 2002 REmake and 20xx REmake would probably be very different.

Yeah I'll probably start with the RE Engine games and then work my way back. Though I fully believe that we'll see RE 4 & 5 (maybe 6) remade in the near future. 

Edited by bikeman223
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

Yeah I'll probably start with the RE Engine games and then work my way back. Though I fully believe that we'll see RE 4 & 5 (maybe 6) remade in the near future. 

That's fine too. RE4 remake is in development right now so won't have to wait long (still don't know why though). After 4 who knows, Code Veronica and Outbreak have pretty big voices when it comes to what Capcom needs to be remade next.

This isn't exactly the most complex advice, but learning to bait zombies into lunging for me and then dodging them was pretty much the tactic that got me through this game. You just don't have the ammo early on to deal with them all, and it also means you won't have to fight crimson heads later.

Use the dagger and the shotgun headshot combo in Invisible Enemy. If you get caught while trying to avoid a zombie, not only the dagger will help you to nullify the damage but it will also give you a perfect indication on to where and when to blast your shotgun. Aim confidently, get your dagger back, repeat. Also, no V-ACTS produced. Not saying you gotta get on a headshot spree but its a valid strategy so you don't have to guess - should you dispatch an Invisible zombie by shooting blindly or try not to engage at all. Just make sure to not get grabbed from behind and you're good.

You can burn more than one zombie with just one spill of kerosine if you'll manage to drop them close enough to each other (connecting them with just limbs won't do the trick).

Edited by VegaMan-X4

• 2 weeks later...

Curious about some of the things mentioned in the guide. Once you unlock something is it available for all difficulties or only the difficulties you’ve already played? 

What’s the deal with this tip? (ALWAYS save the clear save on the same file (slot) every time)

Can’t you do a knife only run at any time, why is that recommend first in the guide?

Edited by bikeman223

1 hour ago, bikeman223 said:

Curious about some of the things mentioned in the guide. Once you unlock something is it available for all difficulties or only the difficulties you’ve already played? 

What’s the deal with this tip? (ALWAYS save the clear save on the same file (slot) every time)

Can’t you do a knife only run at any time, why is that recommend first in the guide?

Ive speedran platinumed few times and recorded this in under 15 and 9 hrs and some of that stuff is not what i would recommend

First, with the unlockables, i cant quite recall, i think they may only work on the clear file save. Real Survival and Invisible Enemies are separate modes btw so not sure what works with them, hopefully some1 else can clear those up

With the 'ALWAYS save the clear save on the same file (slot) every time', DO NOT DO THAT!! If you trigger the grenade zombie, you wont be able to undo it, save the clear files on a different slot each!! 

Knife Only Chris is a pants way to begin, i actually cant believe that is start advised in a general trophy guide. You will be slashing at a plant tentacles flapping abt for abt 5 mins, what a boring way to begin. As with most general trophy guides, start how u want and do Knife Only later, you can even combine it with invisible enemies, thats what i do in speedrun. My advice wouldbe to start Jill on Normal and go from there

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Ive speedran platinumed few times and recorded this in under 15 and 9 hrs and some of that stuff is not what i would recommend

First, with the unlockables, i cant quite recall, i think they may only work on the clear file save. Real Survival and Invisible Enemies are separate modes btw so not sure what works with them, hopefully some1 else can clear those up

With the 'ALWAYS save the clear save on the same file (slot) every time', DO NOT DO THAT!! If you trigger the grenade zombie, you wont be able to undo it, save the clear files on a different slot each!! 

Knife Only Chris is a pants way to begin, i actually cant believe that is start advised in a general trophy guide. You will be slashing at a plant tentacles flapping abt for abt 5 mins, what a boring way to begin. As with most general trophy guides, start how u want and do Knife Only later, you can even combine it with invisible enemies, thats what i do in speedrun. My advice wouldbe to start Jill on Normal and go from there

Thanks for the reply. So if I avoid clearing Chris on normal I can postpone the Grenade Zombie from unlocking right? Thats probably the best thing to do if I want to get a feel for the game. The unlockable weapons can't be used on the bonus modes, so the only real use for them would be using the infinite handgun to help with the faster speed run. Basically when I get around to RE I want to make sure I save the right way to unlock the weapon trophy but to avoid unlock ODZ mode.    

Edited by bikeman223

6 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

Unlockables unlock for future play throughs if you start a new game using the same file from an earlier completion. The game will ask which save file you want to begin with for your next play through. Weapon unlocks only unlock on normal, but you can use them on easy. However, like said before, invisible enemies and true survivor are both different game modes and cannot use the extra weapons.

Saving on the same spot is just an easier way to make sure which save has the unlocks. You don’t have to save mid game on the same slot, but I would recommend saving clear game saves on the same slot.

Someone mentioned the grenade zombie, you won’t have to worry about that as he only spawns in once you clear both Chris and Jill play throughs on normal. And it is totally possible to play as Chris Knife Only Playthrough on easy and never having to play him again until you need the costume trophy, by then it should be your last play though. 

Knife only can be done at any time, I did it it first as I was already in tune with the game from 2002. Is it possible for others to do it as their first play through? Sure, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Just be sure to do it with Chris as he has more health. 

13 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

Someone mentioned the grenade zombie, you won’t have to worry about that as he only spawns in once you clear both Chris and Jill play throughs on normal. And it is totally possible to play as Chris Knife Only Playthrough on easy and never having to play him again until you need the costume trophy, by then it should be your last play though. 

Does the grenade zombie also turn up on Pure Survival and Invisible enemy?

1 hour ago, bikeman223 said:

Does the grenade zombie also turn up on Pure Survival and Invisible enemy?

No, the grenade zombie does not show up in those two modes. I'm pretty those modes are separate even if you complete the game on normal with both Chris and Jill, but I would be cautious either way.

If you're worried about it, you can do Invisible Enemy first with Chris on Very Easy as he has more health, and then Pure Survival (which is locked to Hard) with Jill as she has more inventory slots. This is what I did if you want it:

1. Knife only on very easy with Chris

2. Speedrun on Normal with Jill.

3. Pure Survival with Jill
4. Nook and Cranny with Jill with the infinite rocket launcher
5. No Save Run with Jill on Very Easy with Rocket Launcher
6. Invisible Mode with Chris on Very Easy

This playthrough will ensure you do not run into the grenade zombie ever and get the plat. Though if you're completely new to the series you should do your own first playthrough, and maybe switch around playthrough 1 and 2.

1 hour ago, BestUsername---- said:

No, the grenade zombie does not show up in those two modes. I'm pretty those modes are separate even if you complete the game on normal with both Chris and Jill, but I would be cautious either way.

If you're worried about it, you can do Invisible Enemy first with Chris on Very Easy as he has more health, and then Pure Survival (which is locked to Hard) with Jill as she has more inventory slots. This is what I did if you want it:

1. Knife only on very easy with Chris

2. Speedrun on Normal with Jill.

3. Pure Survival with Jill
4. Nook and Cranny with Jill with the infinite rocket launcher
5. No Save Run with Jill on Very Easy with Rocket Launcher
6. Invisible Mode with Chris on Very Easy

This playthrough will ensure you do not run into the grenade zombie ever and get the plat. Though if you're completely new to the series you should do your own first playthrough, and maybe switch around playthrough 1 and 2.

Thanks, I think I might switch some of these around e.g. start with Nook and Cranny with Jill on Normal and then do a speedrun. But this is still a good list to work from.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bikeman223 said:

Thanks, I think I might switch some of these around e.g. start with Nook and Cranny with Jill on Normal and then do a speedrun. But this is still a good list to work from.

Just another alternate as more options is always good

The way I do it in my platinum series is 5 playthroughs

1. Jill Normal Nook and Cranny and 3 or 5hrs for special weapons

2. Jill Real Survival

3. Jill Invisible Knife Enemies Only

4. Chris, his Trophies and Weapon trophies

5. Jill No Saves

Thats pretty much what i did when trying to optimise platinum for a beginner. If u cant speedrun 1st, do it later or just do another playthrough for it

Edited by Optinooby

9 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

If u cant speedrun 1st, do it later or just do another playthrough for it

Yeah this is what I did. Doing an extra playthrough really ends up being a non-issue since you’ll be running through the game in an hour or two by the end of your journey.

I think for brand new players it’s unlikely they’ll get a sub-5 hour run their first time through unless they’re following a guide very closely. And personally I wouldn’t recommend doing that for your first playthrough because it really take your focus away from just enjoying the game and soaking in the atmosphere.

This is a really dope game and experiencing it blind and in all it’s intended spookiness is well worth it! I really took my sweet time in the first run and ended up finishing in like 15 hours or something horrible like that. ? but I’m retrospect, I’m very glad I chose to do this because I thoroughly enjoyed this game and it got me really interested in Resident Evil.

• 4 months later...