Anyone else like to buy physical copy more than 1? (asking physical collectors)

serpent_guy

Is it just me or, are there many physical collectors like to buy certain games more than 1 copies like me?

Whether it's the exact same version/region (because there's no other region released or the other region copy sucks, such as like FFX/X-2 Switch Asian copy) or just because you love the game so much that you'd like to have more than 1 physical copy in your shelf. Or it's because of the rarity, or whatver reason you have there.

In my case, I'd like to buy games that I considered good games OR not so great but it's rare more than 1 copy. Especially when I saw the price was pretty low. (I'd buy any Last of Us copies I met if it's less than $5, I already have 9 copies various version of it. But I'd refuse to buy more than 1 copy for games such as Orcs & Men because I didn't like it eventhough it's very cheap, I saw at local store only $2 & it's still sealed new)

I knew someone who has similar habit like me, but he only buy because it's different version/cover. Such as Greatest Hits, Platinum Hits. But he wouldn't want the exact same version for his collection.

So, what's your story?

Edited by serpent_guy

Well to me, the furthest I'd go is buy a digital copy instead of opening a sealed physical copy I have, like if it's a limited edition of some sort. For example, I have a limited edition of Danganronpa 2 and since I didn't want to open the limited edition itself I bought a digital copy from the PS store to play.

• Like 1

I mainly buy more than 1 copy to help with boosting some games or if i find a copy that is in a better condition.

I did re buy the original version of games that i had in platinum versions to make my collection more uniform. I also buy the normal version for games that came in steel cases. Collectors editions like Horizon, God of War and Days gone only came with steel cases. they would look out of place on my shelf so i bout the normal plastic cases for those. Love collectors editions that include both cases.  

I think 9 copies is overkill but you are keeping physical media alive so go ahead and keep buying ?

• Like 1

I'd like to have as much physical as possible when it comes to filling my bookcase just for the lols but getting more then 1 copy is a bit too much for me.

Though I've got over 50% double the past years because I switched from PC gaming to PS4. That's why I've got so many plats done in under a few days in my earlier stages just because I knew what to do in those games. 

PS1 games is another story because I bricked that thing when it came out and you could just copy the games on CD/DVD's. I've got an insane amount of those :P 

Like @Kurofur, I might buy a digital copy to supplement a physical copy I'd like to keep sealed.

If I ever buy two physical copies for the same platform, it's probably because they have different artwork or different bonuses included... and I'd use/keep what I want and sell the copy I like less.  Or I guess I might keep two physical copies if it's different platforms, and if it's a game/franchise I really like.  For example, I have Uncharted 1-3 on PS3 and the Nathan Drake Collection on PS4... and Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls on PS3, and the Quantic Dream collection on PS4.  I have a PS1 copy of Final Fantasy VII and the Switch FFVII/VIII twin pack.  Etc.

I ended up buying two copies of Hollow Knight on the Switch since they re-printed the game with updates on the cart (so it doesn't need to be downloaded, important).  So I bought the revision and sold the original... but I did have both at one point.

The end goal is to have one copy of games through the vast majority of the collection.  If I break that rule, it's either a remaster/more modern port of a game I loved or I'm planning to sell the extra copies at some point for some reason.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I do have some sealed "doubles" of games that are hard to come by (Deadpool PS3, for example), but that's because I want to have a back up in case I decide to sell my collection of games (which I never felt the need yet), or if it gets stolen.

One that I have for the sake of a cover variant is Bulletstorm for the PS3.

Other than that, I have some games three times counting regular versions/collector's editions/digital. But that's about it.

Only game I have 2 physical copies of is The Last Of Us because my PS3 just can't handle playing it so I've got it on PS4 now.

I don't buy more than 1 copy of a game because I don't need more than 1 copy of something to ignore for years. Also games are expensive, can't throw good rum money away on multiple copies of a single game.