COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

On 6/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Second shot is booked for july 25th

That's pretty late I must admit. I had my second shot at the beginning of May and I was by far the last person in my family to get my second COVID-19 vaccine. Haven't been reading much since I've been deliberately avoiding news regarding anything on COVID-19 as much as possible. Perhaps you Canadians are handling the pandemic a little differently.

Unfortunately for some people here who live in hellish countries like Venezuela, there's no real vaccine for them. I definitely feel sorry for them.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:30 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Yeah don't know how I will react. The first shot barely phased me. My arm hurt for about 10 hours but nothing beyond that. My friend was knocked on his ass for 2 days though.

My appointment is on a Saturday so I will have the weekend to recover. My work does have time off for COVID though and I didn't use my time from the first shot so I am sure I can take the day off if needed (I have tons of sick days as well)

Ya most of my friends had like an eh feeling, some had a low grade fever for a night, and then there was me lol still recovering. But that's because I'm on medication that already give my lymph nodes a hard time, and my immune system is weird. 

Good news, it works! Otherwise my lymph nodes wouldn't have done anything. 

First shot I only had a low grade for a few days. 

If you didn't get much reaction from the first I would say, be prepared for a low grade for a day or 2, but also be prepared for no reaction. 

And I would also say call out the day AFTER the second dose if needed, the first day you should be fine, if needed leave early. 

You may not need to call out at all from what my other friends experienced

Vaccine friends! :highfive:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Ya most of my friends had like an eh feeling, some had a low grade fever for a night, and then there was me lol still recovering. But that's because I'm on medication that already give my lymph nodes a hard time, and my immune system is weird. 

Good news, it works! Otherwise my lymph nodes wouldn't have done anything. 

First shot I only had a low grade for a few days. 

If you didn't get much reaction from the first I would say, be prepared for a low grade for a day or 2, but also be prepared for no reaction. 

And I would also say call out the day AFTER the second dose if needed, the first day you should be fine, if needed leave early. 

You may not need to call out at all from what my other friends experienced

Vaccine friends! :highfive:

Yeah, I will warn my boss just in case...it won't be a problem :) I am the last in my family to get a second shot so once I am done everyone will be double vaxxed

• Like 1

Trump is fantastic at one thing and that is being a con artist. I'm sorry to say but from someone that doesn't live in the U.S the unravelling of the situation was incredibly slow and didn't seem important, particularly to Trump himself and the constant shit that came out of his mouth. Remember he himself cares and would beat the virus.

Here in Australia? Well we got lucky as our own leaders seemed clueless months after the Diamond repatriation. They are now just running the fear campaign until next election. Our own Government and media (That line one anothers pockets) have managed to be successful in scaring people off taking the Astrazeneca vaccine, pure f'n genius. Let's be honest, we ran out.

We will be set back by idiots no matter what happens. A vaccination passport would be a good idea. 

I also don't like Trump's attitude... not very becoming of a world leader. Biden is more cordial and professional. The vaccination passport is a great idea. People should need one to attend a concert or sports event.

Eldridge Cleaver said:

There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.

What does this quote have to do with the C19 pandemic? Plenty!

On 6/19/2021 at 5:34 PM, pathtoninja said:

What are you basing any of this on?

Trump was advised by Alex Azar on Jan 18th, 2020 about the potential severity of this virus and by his advisor Peter Navarro on Jan 29th, 2020...two days later he implemented the travel ban on China. Predictably and ironically he was criticized for this by Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi proposed the "No Ban Act" to counter this order. I guess you can make the argument he should have done this sooner, but maybe you have better a crystal ball.

Additionally, he authorized HHS to cut through red tape on certain medical regulation to treat patients with the unknown virus, he deployed two Navy ships to help with flooded hospitals on the coasts, he invoked the Defense Product Act and he signed legislation voiding restrictions that was preventing manufacturers from selling industrial masks  directly to hospitals. Lastly, Operation Warp Speed was initiated under his administration, which Biden has even given Trump credit for.

If you want to criticize his style, candor, Tweets and things of that nature, that is fine...but to say he did "jack shit" when his main power is essentially freeing up money and deploying the armed forces, is categorically false. 

Big words coming from a guy in Texas.

There hasn't been a competent president in decades. You can't make an argument on his Twitter, since that account was banned and rightfully so. It was literally embarrassing to read all the bullshit Trump was spewing on there.

What I will say is this post is a good example of being brainwashed. According to this we are supposed to support a man who has been a con for over 50 years. Donald Trump's track sheet is legendary, he will be charged for his actions, which is still under process. I'm hoping those charges will come sooner rather than later.

All the while you guys in Texas had a major power crisis early this year in 2021.

The best thing that people can do is develop more personal responsibility and stop relying on these corrupt, selfish politicians. And I'm not saying this because I'm a Democrat, I gave up on that party a long time ago. The Republicans are just as awful.

It is a fucking tragedy that this entire COVID-19 pandemic was just treated as a political game to so many. Donald Trump waited far too long to address the issue and by that point it was far too late.

The fact that COVID-19 is just a major political discussion for a lot of people is definitely proof to me this society has sunk.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 2:34 PM, pathtoninja said:

What are you basing any of this on?

Trump was advised by Alex Azar on Jan 18th, 2020 about the potential severity of this virus and by his advisor Peter Navarro on Jan 29th, 2020...two days later he implemented the travel ban on China. Predictably and ironically he was criticized for this by Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi proposed the "No Ban Act" to counter this order. I guess you can make the argument he should have done this sooner, but maybe you have better a crystal ball.

Ah yes, implementing a travel ban on a country that actually handled its pandemic well is definitely a substitute for preventing an epidemic in the US. We did jack shit to prevent its spread. But please, tell us how Trump heroically prevented the US from being the world leader in COVID cases, even compared to countries with multiple times its population.

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Ah yes, implementing a travel ban on a country that actually handled its pandemic well is definitely a substitute for preventing an epidemic in the US. We did jack shit to prevent its spread. But please, tell us how Trump heroically prevented the US from being the world leader in COVID cases, even compared to countries with multiple times its population.

Woah 

If you think China isn't mostly propaganda and truly handled the pandemic well, you really need to

A: Do more research

And

B: Visit there and see for yourself the propaganda 

I don't get involved with politics, but this, this is wrong on so many levels. I've followed the pandemic during 2020 through every outlet possible, and even now I still stay up to date, and saying China handled it better. That's... Horrible to say. Especially in the beginning when they knew what was happening. 

In fact here's an easy to understand starting point for you and anyone else that wants to know more. 

10 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I don't get involved with politics, but this, this is wrong on so many levels. I've followed the pandemic during 2020 through every outlet possible, and even now I still stay up to date, and saying China handled it better. That's... Horrible to say. Especially in the beginning when they knew what was happening. 

The numbers speak for themselves. Secrecy aside, China actually made an attempt to lock its spread down, and eventually succeeded - meanwhile we had US politicians doing their best imitations of Lord Farquaad.

The west's China fetish is ridiculous, and you're fooling yourself if you don't think it's political. There's a reason why Republicans drummed up calling it the "Chinese virus" and so on and so forth - it was to divert blame for their own willful lack of action onto a foreign entity, as it always is. America, and really much of the west as a whole, has this bad habit of telling people they smell like shit while camping in the sewers.

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

The numbers speak for themselves. Secrecy aside, China actually made an attempt to lock its spread down, and eventually succeeded

How do you know they succeeded? 

Unless you're a top Chinese official, you know nothing. 

And to say that all other countries didn't make an attempt to lock down, that's beyond false.

I'm done talking to you, you have insulted enough people around the world. 

If there was a down vote on PSNP, you're last one commending China would have you down voted to oblivion by most in all countries. Save China

You also clearly didn't watch any of the links I posted. Otherwise you wouldn't have said they made an attempt(and that attempt was vile and inhuman with what you see in the second link) 

Their hand was forced after the information broke from their grasp. 

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 2

I don't think there's an argument to be made in favor of China, and closing the border to them was the right thing to do.  And frankly something the Democrats probably would've dragged their feet on perhaps to avoid looking xenophobic, which let's be honest is Trump's forte.  I'm sure he loved closing the border to China as much as he loved talking about that wall.  He was right to do it but considering that's the main thing he got right, all the way back at the beginning of last year, is telling.  Maybe give some credit to his administration for the speedy vaccine development, but a chimp would've known to throw money into vaccine development with the resources the United States has so /shrug.

As the god damn President, he should've sacked up, put a stop to the schoolyard squabbling with the Democrats for the sake of appealing to his own ego and the absolute lowest common denominator of his constituents, pushed masks, pushed accountability, pushed science... instead we got what we got.  The guy using COVID task force press meetings to run re-election propaganda films, and riling up a coup on the Capitol building.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Trump was the one who pushed Hydroxychloroquine. I wouldn't touch HCQ with a 10 yard pole. It's dangerous. Some of the untoward effects you can get from it are paranoia, hallucinations. severe mood changes, heart problems, unusual bruising, and jaundice to name a few. No thank you. The WHO has warned against using it. I think good old Pepto-Bismol looks more interesting against SARS-COV2, the C19 virus (there's a study called SABER-C at University of Louisville).

I have to agree that closing the border to China was a good move. Trump isn't usually right, but this is an exception. That said, I think the Democrats may well have done likewise. They would probably spend a little more time and energy to justify it.

Hopefully the State of New York will have a good case against Trump. I'm glad that Giuliani got suspended from legal practice in NY. He spread lies about Trump's 2020 election loss... and that's not a good thing to be doing. Giuliani (remember his "trial by combat" statement? If that isn't incitement, then what?) and Trump's actions that stirred up the insurrection are unforgivable. I believe what they did is treason.

If you're going to delete my post for responding to someone claiming that I said things I've never said, at least delete the post with blatant lies in it as well. I never claimed that China outperformed any country except the US in terms of pandemic response, hence why simply closing the borders to them was irrelevant, and again, not a substitute for actual pandemic response.