Solution for online issues

3 hours ago, PostalDudeRus said:

To connect from PS3 directly via PPPoE passing your router. This might help.

like i wrote already before:

On 30.7.2021 at 8:45 AM, luxitu said:

It allows only one connection through PPPoE and the router already use this connection, so the ps3 would be already a second connection via PPPoE

i tried this and it doesn´t work it seems. its just allowed to have one PPPoE-Passthrough and this means that the router doesn´t have one! With Fritzbox you have the best router to set configurations. so i did all settings so that the router is just a modem. But still it was not possible to connect via PPPoE then. Idk if this router was working how it should be but finally i couldn´t do PPPoE with the Ps3. So I tried it with another router from Telekom, but this router has not enough configuration settings. But it seems a router still uses that one connection or just don´t let me use the router just as a modem. Thats why i bought now a 12 yeas old modem that has just a 1:1 connection possibility. This hardware should not make an PPPoE-connection. so i currently waiting for the delivery.?

i tested also if its possible just to connect the ps3 with the Internet from the network socket. But of course it doesn´t work, because the router transform the incoming analog data to digital...and the ps3 can´t do that it seems so the ps3 doesn´t recognize the ethernet cable.?

On 31.7.2021 at 4:59 PM, PostalDudeRus said:

'll check your settings later

and my settings ok or not?

Edited by luxitu

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, i opened the ports just have to wait 'till testing, i was able to play with a player with constant crashes and a bit of lag but we were able, then i putted my console with an static IP and nothing worked anymore, i had DMZ active and UPNP too, after removing the static IP we were able to play 2 matches with lag and crashed both times.

• 4 months later...
On 4.4.2020 at 11:04 AM, PostalDudeRus said:

Problem 3: You managed to host game, your partner joins you...but can't see your PSN ID in co-op partner small window.

Solution: Good news, you have perfect connection for this game. But bad news..your partner doesn't. Again, ask your partner to use DMZ, port forward or change their connection to NAT 1.

1) After alot testing, i can tell you that the blank name glitch has nothing to do with the Connection.

I have 2xps3 and 2 copy of the game and now my own new internet and i could get an open ipv4 adress. I set off ipv6 on the router and put one console to DMZ(Exposed Host), the other one to port forwarding and set all the ports you wrote in your post, but it changed nothing. After i tried NAT1 with one and NAT2 DMz with other, but still no change, then i tried both NAT1 but still no change.

dsc_011609kv6.jpg

Connection to EA-Server->succesfull and HOST/JOIN my games always 100% succesfull. But always the blank name glitch! So Problem 1+2 never happen!

On 30.8.2020 at 4:41 PM, Reinachii- said:

First i tested my connection on two alts, and I was getting the blank name glitch.

When I switched one alt to my main acc, that glitch fixed itself. 

2) 2 player wrote this top. if it would be a network problem, it would not help to switch the account! i tested this method also with 5 different accounts, but its always the same. Also if i understand it right, you guys always just don´t see the name from the other players but your own you see or? if you see your own name you can still push the ready button but it will result still in a freeze after start, if you don´t see the name from the other player too. i have the problem, if i join i don´t see my own and the others one, but as host i see both.

dsc_0058pwjy6.jpg

i am using the Ultimate german disc version twice and my mate also and he had the same problem like me, so maybe its a problem from the version/language you play that this result in the blank name glitch, so would be happy to know if any1 with a german version could play it online? Otherwise i don´t know what should i do now to get it running.

Edited by luxitu

• 5 months later...

@luxitu did you manage to get it sorted out?

Im currently trying to finish that Twin Tigers trophy, as far as I remember I only need final mission from Rising Sun or their entire campaign, can’t remember exactly as I was doing it few years ago with my friend.

I’m using my old console and recently bought a second hand one so I can login with my girlfriends main and my main.

We were getting my name on my screen and hers was blank, on her screen both names were missing, couldn’t press ready with me or her hosting. Then we swapped logins on both consoles and now on my screen both names are showing and on her only mine, only when she’s hosting I can press ready but then her screen gets stuck in loading and mine is black until I force quit the game and she get a message that mission is aborted as co-commander gave up.

Its really strange and frustrating, makes me think there’s something wrong with accounts so I created a new one just to see but exactly the same result.

?

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2020 at 11:04 AM, PostalDudeRus said:

After many days of running tests and analyzing traffic via my MikroTik router I think I found solutions for online connection issue/bug and find out it why it happens. But first things first.

As for 07.04.2020 I gathered a lot of info about online issues and here is how you can play with your friends online without problems. Here is how to figure out what might be wrong with your Internet connection:

Problem 1: If you go to online menu or start co-op and your console freezes. That's really bad and you need to port forward every port I listed below. This also might be problem related to your ISP or if you using old router. 
Solution: Always best solution is using NAT 1 type of connection (without router, directly to Internet from PS3). But you can try to use DMZ for test, See if your console using UPnP function. And try to reconfigure your router settings as listed here.

Also, see workarounds section below.

Problem 2: You host game, and your partner trying to join you - but he gets error "Unable to connect, search for another game". That means you might have stable connection to EA and RA3 servers, ports needed for stable game are seems to be open (but we can't say for sure for now) and game hosted. But your partner might have issues on his side.

Solution: Ask your partner to use DMZ (or port forward) or NAT 1. For now we can be almost sure it's your partner problems trying to reach your hosted game.

Problem 3: You managed to host game, your partner joins you...but can't see your PSN ID in co-op partner small window.

Solution: Good news, you have perfect connection for this game. But bad news..your partner doesn't. Again, ask your partner to use DMZ, port forward or change their connection to NAT 1.

As you can see, most of the solution goes to using NAT1, DMZ and Port Forwarding, but BE WARNED some router models (like my old DIR-320) doesn't port forward or doesn't port forward as they MUST to AND sometimes your ISP can be asshole and give you cheapest routers possible to work with OR they might block ports on their site (outside of your router connection) if you do everything possible but game still dosen't work - contact ISP, they will help you (remember, you paying them for it).

Now summary workarounds:

GAME FREEZES when you select online game or game kicks you out of game when you start online match in 5-10 minutes:

This also help if you got kicked out by game. Re-login in PSN being in menus and try playing again.

NAT1:

Enable NAT 1 for both (or for Host only) Host and Client (I tested with me as host with NAT 1 and my partner used DMZ, connection was perfect) .

Basically, put ISP internet cable into PS3 and configure network settings. Your ISP may use PPPoE, that's ok, PS3 can authorize with PPPoE.

DMZ:

Put console in DMZ on your router settings. But don't forget to make your local PS3 IP static. You can set manual IP in PS3's settings or in your LAN settings on Router (better that way). THIS IS SAFE as long if you put your console in DMZ. This will make an firewall-free zone between Internet and your local firewall and PS3 will accept all incoming traffic "as it is" without additional routing or NAT'ing. (This is not accurate description, but It's simplest explanation I can came up with).

Port Forward:

Port forward ports stated on page 19 in RA3 manual. But don't forget to make your local PS3 IP static. You can set manual IP in PS3's settings or in your LAN settings on Router (better that way). I analyzed traffic when you connecting to game and I write here all actual ports game using.
PSN (PS3):

• TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080
  • UDP: 3478, 3479.

RA3:

• TCP:80, 443, 5223, 8080, 9946, 10000, 18290, 18295
  • UDP: 9946, 9570, 3659, 6000, 3478, 3479
  Reveal hidden contents

Player named Rennikz suggested using this ports too:

• TCP Ports: 80, 13505, 18800, 18805
  • UDP Ports: 53, 10000, 11000-11030, 18805

VPN:

NOT TESTED BY ME

VPN I can easly host VPN server (L2TP, mscahpv2) and you can connect to it using your router or PC + PS3. But, I would suggest using router vpn-client function because setting up PC as getaway for PS3 is not easy for average user. But, If you know how to do it but have questions - shoot away in comments I will guide you.

So, if you know someone with this game or you want to get this platinum nowadays PLEASE share this thread or PM me. Anything can help. Until its too late and servers went down.

Here is PSNProfiles Session link.

Thanks for this well done guide. I honestly want to do 100% but there are no sessions on PSNPROFILES already (can't find the game) and also all these network issues are stepping me back for the game. Still gonna try it tho.

I have two PS3's and two copies of the game. Tried multiple different accounts and keep encountering blank name glitch for the account in the lobby. This always results in freezing when the map loading screen is on for the player who joined the lobby.

Is there any known workaround for this? 

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli

On 13.8.2022 at 2:47 AM, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I have two PS3's and two copies of the game. Tried multiple different accounts and keep encountering blank name glitch for the account in the lobby. This always results in freezing when the map loading screen is on for the player who joined the lobby.

Is there any known workaround for this? 

did you read all the posts before like mine? do you have one or double blank name glitch? i posted also picture in any posts before. If you have only one blank name glitch the only known solution is currently to try to switch the accounts that are not working with the working one until its fixed. this can help but must not. if you should find a solution dont hesitate to write it here.

22 hours ago, luxitu said:

did you read all the posts before like mine? do you have one or double blank name glitch? i posted also picture in any posts before. If you have only one blank name glitch the only known solution is currently to try to switch the accounts that are not working with the working one until its fixed. this can help but must not. if you should find a solution dont hesitate to write it here.

I had just the one blank name issue. I did go through all the previous posts too but it sounds like this one might be dead in the water for me if I can't figure out this router step. 

• 2 weeks later...

Even just putting console into DMZ seems to fix blank name glitch for me but alt is still buggy. When I enter lobby created by my main with alt I can't press ready, main can see both accounts but alt doesn't see itself, when I host with alt and main joins I can start the game with alt (even though alt still doesn't see main) but then my main gets black screen and alt has infinite loading, if I disconnect with main alt loads into game. Since it's possible to configure DMZ/Port Forwarding only for one IP it's not possible to make both consoles work in my case.

On 30/08/2020 at 5:41 PM, Reinachii- said:

The only issue I had after that was failing to connect to EA servers, please make an acc error. Trying to reconnect once or twice fixed that.

It's common for most EA games that still have online, at least those I played in last 2-3 years. I saw it in Battlefield: Bad Company, Mercenaries 2, Army of Two: The 40th Day and Red Alert 3.

On 01/01/2022 at 5:51 AM, luxitu said:

I have 2xps3 and 2 copy of the game and now my own new internet and i could get an open ipv4 adress. I set off ipv6 on the router and put one console to DMZ(Exposed Host), the other one to port forwarding and set all the ports you wrote in your post, but it changed nothing. After i tried NAT1 with one and NAT2 DMz with other, but still no change, then i tried both NAT1 but still no change.

It doesn't work only inside your network when you try with alt? Have you tried NAT1 with real players and if yes was it with or without DMZ? I think I'm going to request public IP from my ISP to be able to finally get NAT1 and bypass router altogether and if even that won't work I'll get mad. My friend could connect with me in Mercenaries 2 with NAT1 but couldn't connect with her alt in single network, that's why I'm asking. I think Mercenaries 2 and Red Alert 3 servers could have same issues if they are going down together.

On 8/29/2022 at 7:02 AM, KingSkovald said:

It doesn't work only inside your network when you try with alt? Have you tried NAT1 with real players and if yes was it with or without DMZ? I think I'm going to request public IP from my ISP to be able to finally get NAT1 and bypass router altogether and if even that won't work I'll get mad. My friend could connect with me in Mercenaries 2 with NAT1 but couldn't connect with her alt in single network, that's why I'm asking. I think Mercenaries 2 and Red Alert 3 servers could have same issues if they are going down together.

Both of my PS3s could see each other with zero issues for Mercenaries 2.

For Red Alert, they connected to each other, but my main account couldn't see its own name (so couldn't ready up).

17 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Both of my PS3s could see each other with zero issues for Mercenaries 2.

For Red Alert, they connected to each other, but my main account couldn't see its own name (so couldn't ready up).

I have the same issue and I spent about 6 hours total troubleshooting it. Mercenaries 2 worked for me if I used a hotspot on both consoles. I don't want to write an essay about all the things I did in Red Alert 3, but I ended up finding out that the game has a preference on accounts. My Czech alt has its name ALWAYS visible to anyone no matter what network or console I use. My other accounts aren't so lucky and no matter what combination I do, I can't get a match going. I'll try a NAT 1 connection with a friend and hope to god it works. I'll edit my post when I do.

Edit: Today I tried to play with a NAT 1 friend (both using PPPoE on PS3) and we got the same issue, the host of the match could see everyone, but the joiner couldn't see themself nor the host. Through all of this my Czech alt stayed consistent and was visible to everoyne and itself. We though for a moment that the issue could be related to our PSN accounts not being in the country we currently reside in, but testing our alts that are properly registered to our location didn't help.

Edited by Letenko
Added information

9 hours ago, Letenko said:

I don't want to write an essay about all the things I did in Red Alert 3, but I ended up finding out that the game has a preference on accounts

Yes, even this thread has multiple reports that switching accounts solved it but I can't find any pattern here. My main is UK although I'm from Ukraine, I had a bunch of accounts created while self-boosting King of the Hill trophy in NFS Shift 2: Ukrainian, UK, US, Japanese, HK and Singapore but none of them worked with my main, I tried few combinations with alts but they didn't work either. Yesterday I finally got public IP from my ISP and now able to get NAT1 type on one console at a time so will create a session and try to test it with other players with NAT1.

If the online weren't so horrendous I would've tried to give this co-op a shot before the shutdown, but it feels like I would've wasted my money and time on getting the game to begin with. Sad to see, I can only hope this game gets re-released without online stuff one day, sure seems fun otherwise.

• Like 1

Small update regarding my previous post. I got access to an account that recently got the trophies and can confirm further that the connection seems to be account based. This other account acted exactly like my Czech alt and I was really trying to find a link between the two, but the played games are different (I mainly looked for old EA totles such as Mercs 2, Army of Two, The Orange Box etc.), the PSN IDs are completely different (one has special characters, one doesn't) and also the age of the accounts is different. At this point it seems to be a crapshoot wheter the servers accept you or they don't.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I tried gettign a match going between this new account and my Czech alt and as expected it worked perfectly. Both PVP and co-op.

Edited by Letenko
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xillynoc said:

If the online weren't so horrendous I would've tried to give this co-op a shot before the shutdown, but it feels like I would've wasted my money and time on getting the game to begin with. Sad to see, I can only hope this game gets re-released without online stuff one day, sure seems fun otherwise.

That's my feeling as well - the servers are just too broken to put up with the hassle of trying to get the online trophies done :(.

• Like 2

On 31/08/2022 at 10:26 PM, Letenko said:

I tried connecting with a friend today, using our PPPoE logins on our PS3s, thus getting NAT 1, which we both confirmed. He has a Spanish copy of the game (BLES-00507) which is the same game, but only in full spanish. Not much success, we went through a lot of troubleshooting, but even with a NAT 1 connection on different consoles the same EXACT issues remained. Again, both PVP and Co-op.

Maybe PPPoE is the reason you couldn't connect cause NAT1 is the silver bullet for me after all. But it definitely depends on accounts too cause I went through exactly the same issues as you described and my best result was scenario 2  too (the only difference is that my main had black screen and alt could load in properly if main was disconnected). Today I tried it with NAT1 achieved by directly plugging network cable to ps3 with other guy with NAT1 (he was connected normally via router and used VPN but I don't know the details), I hosted and it finally worked, we both loaded properly. After that we also tried to connect while I was using router + DMZ (which is still NAT2 in my case although I expected that public IP + DMZ should guarantee NAT1) to see if it works too but this way we couldn't even enter the same lobby.

17 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Maybe PPPoE is the reason you couldn't connect cause NAT1 is the silver bullet for me after all. But it definitely depends on accounts too cause I went through exactly the same issues as you described and my best result was scenario 2  too (the only difference is that my main had black screen and alt could load in properly if main was disconnected). Today I tried it with NAT1 achieved by directly plugging network cable to ps3 with other guy with NAT1 (he was connected normally via router and used VPN but I don't know the details), I hosted and it finally worked, we both loaded properly. After that we also tried to connect while I was using router + DMZ (which is still NAT2 in my case although I expected that public IP + DMZ should guarantee NAT1) to see if it works too but this way we couldn't even enter the same lobby.

I haven't tried using a VPN through a proxy yet, so that is a possible solution. I wish a direct PPPoE would work for my friend and I, but at least it works for you. We ended up with a black name no matter what.

On 29.8.2022 at 7:02 PM, KingSkovald said:

it doesnt work inside AND outside ofc.....i have done a few posts here and in some i said also that my originally plan was to play the game with a friend, but we had both blank name glitch, then i tested it with random people, but every person i tried had not the blank name glitch, so at the end they got the trophies just doing it with others.

Just for clarification: without an open ipv4 adress you cant do DMZ/Port Forwarding. You can set it ofc in your router but it will not work. ipv4 adresses are limited and meanwhile each was already given to any1 thats the reason why you normally dont get any open ipv4 adress from your ISP, especially new contracts. But this depends on your country, your contract and your ISP. I can just tell you that in germany each new dsl contract is always a ds-lite. you can look up this in your router normally, if there is standing something from ds-lite then you dont have open ipv4 and you cant do DMZ/port forwarding! You have then to contact your ISp for an open IPV4 adress

On 31.8.2022 at 9:26 PM, Letenko said:

Given my findings, I am confident that the servers have account preferences. They allow certain accounts in no matter what (I call these account having the "allowed status", such as my Czech alt) through some combination of inputs or maybe sheer dumb luck, an account can get this status, even if temporarely (like my Australian alt). I hope to god that I am completely wrong on this and someone will come in with a solution I didn't think off.

things i find out:

1) tried to delete and create new safefiles because thought maybe its any way corrupted, but didnt help.

2) i ordered different copy of the games because i thought maybe its something with the install. got the german and Uk version and i can say that the install is not the same amount but it also didnt change anything. i also switched the language of the ps3 and the game for hoping its just a translation error.....

3) i have 2xps3(FAT+SLIM) and multiple accounts also in different countrys. my main is in germany, 2th/3th also. 4th in NA, 5th in HK. all these have also different creations dates. but not a single one is working. i tested all and tried also accountswitching but all didnt help.

4) most people have only one not working acc. i was long time the only known person with double blank name glitch. until now i couldnt find any that has also only blank name glitch accounts.

because i dont have any working accounts i could not test the posisble fix. some people said they could fix it with switching. but the problem is here, the people often dont know that there exist a double blank name glitch, because its not hardly likely that 2 people that played together have it both on their main acc. each person i tried it had not the blank name glitch. the only other known one was my german mate i wanted to play it at the beginning.....

5) currently there exists for me 3 possible errors:

- ea connection error = just try a few times and it works then.

- host/join cant match each other because they cant find the other one: fix with NAT1/DMZ/port forwarding, but mostly only NAT1 works guaranteed

- blank name glitch = no 100% fix method known, the only one possible is to switch glitch acc with working one on same playstation and hope it works.

the person that host always see all name. joining person see only 1 name or none. each name that will be not shown has the blank name glitch.

person with blank name glitch cant press ready. if you have 2 with it = cant start any game, if you have only 1 and this one is not the joining one you can start the game atleast but it will always freeze until any1 close the game, then the game is running and the other can see something like the other player disconnected etc.

9 hours ago, KingSkovald said:

MH? without PPPoE you cant do NAT1.

Also for clarification: the order is NAT1->DMZ->Port Forwarding, so if it doesnt work with NAT1 it will also not work with the other ones:

technically means it that shortly following, my english is not the best and i am not the best at explanations. if you wanna understand it really you should look it up then, also NAT1/2/3 is a definition from SONY and dont really exist as a real network specific thing:

1) Port Forwarding: You set this in your router for each port for TCP/UDP. Normally an IP-package that comes from outside would be forwarded from your router to your PS3, so any services cant normally directly send anything to your PS3, if you accept any ports for a device like the PS3 you allow any services directly send anything to your PS3 over these ports. Thats why you need for this the exactly ports on TCP/UDP and must set it for each one. if you miss only one that is necessary for the communication like for RA3 it can be still that as example you dont find the other person for a match.

2) DMZ = Demilitarized Zone: If you set a device in your router to that then it means correctly you activate the EXPOSED HOST what is not directly a DMZ but some router shows it as DMZ, the explanations would be to long for that! at the end it means just here that you are using Port Forwarding with all existing ports or other: you allow all ports for this device.

3) NAT1/2/3: this is something that was created from SONY and has directly nothing to do with Port Forwarding or DMZ. it just says how your device is connected to the Internet!

NAT3 is normally used from your mobile phones, but could be changed to NAT2 too with some changes. NAT3 you get normally if your PS3 is connected via Router and not be allowed to communicate to the online services from Sony. NAT2 is the standard and you get it if your PS3 is connected via Router and be allowed to communicate to the online services from Sony. NAT1 you get if you are connected directly to the Internet without a router between it. Means here that without a router you also dont have a firewall because the PS3 shouldnt block anything on his own. means also if you are connected via router you have still a firewall and it could be still that the router blocks anything on its own. Also physically its not possible to connect your PS3 directly with the telephone network because it cant translate the incoming analog sginals to digital signals. thats why you need a router between it. here is the difference between a modem and a router important. would be much explanation that you can also look up.
You got at the beginning from your contract with the ISP login data for the dial-up. that will be set normally to your router. if your ordered also the router from your ISP they have done it normally for you. these login data you can also use to connect each device directly with the internet and for this will be PPPoE used. The problem is here that the most ISP only allow one PPPoE connection and normally your router is using this one already what means a second over PS3 will not work then. for that you would need a modem what doesnt make its own PPPoE connection. but this all depends also on your country, contract and ISP. maybe you are lucky and your ISP allows more than one PPPoE connection. Also if you use your PS3 for PPPoE you need also an open ipv4 adress because the ps3 can only do this and not ipv6!

i hope i havent explained anything wrong.

Edited by luxitu
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 6:26 AM, luxitu said:

Just for clarification: without an open ipv4 adress you cant do DMZ/Port Forwarding.

Technically you can but it's useless and will have no effect. It was exactly my problem because at first even when I plugged cable directly to PS3 I still received NAT2, I called ISP and asked wtf is going on and they explained me that I have a double NAT problem because my subscription tier doesn't grant users public IP addresses. It's like being connected via one router which is then connected to a second router which is connected to network cable and configuring DMZ/PF on first router but not configuring it on the second. And this "second router" is the second layer of network address translation (NAT) where private IP is finally being translated into public and you don't have any control over it. So I upgraded my Internet subscription to a higher tier which granted me a public IPv4 and now when I plug my cable directly to PS3 I'm getting NAT1 and now I'm able to play multiplayer with other NAT1 player. Plugging it directly means my console is publicly available over the internet with this public IP I have now and is vulnerable to attacks so it's the most solid type of connection that can be achieved but also the most unsecure. Still I don't understand why using DMZ doesn't achieve NAT1 too for me as in my understanding using DMZ means "forward all router ports to device with X IP bypassing NAT" so it should be the same as bypassing router completely, it's either something is wrong with my router or there is some additional security which prevents from achieving NAT1. Or maybe I got it wrong as in this case console technically still has private IP although all traffic is being redirected to it as is. It's also important to note that messing up with Port Forwarding is useless if DMZ is not working.

MH? without PPPoE you cant do NAT1.

You can, with a common DHCP like I'm doing it. Simply call your ISP, tell them to whitelist your PS3's MAC address, plug network cable into PS3 directly, select easy wired connection, set everything to default and you are done. But again it's not 100% guarantee that it will work. It works for me connected with other NAT1 player but I didn't see any other reports saying that players tried it with NAT1-only connections without PPPoE. @Letenko said that two NAT1 don't work for him and his friend but he was using PPPoE. So I can't confirm that having two NAT1 connections is a bulletproof method.
UPDATE 9/4/2022: now I can actually confirm that having two NAT1 DHCP connections DOES NOT guarantee a successful connection, I tried with the other guy from my country today and it didn't work

NAT1/2/3 is a definition from SONY and dont really exist as a real network specific thing:

Yes and this terminology exists only in gaming world, my ISP didn't even understand what I mean by NAT1 and NAT2 when I called them. Also Microsoft is using different terminology for Xbox: Open/Moderate/Strict.

Edited by KingSkovald
updated with new info