guy who says bruh

Solution for online issues

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After many days of running tests and analyzing traffic via my MikroTik router I think I found solutions for online connection issue/bug and find out it why it happens. But first things first.

As for 07.04.2020 I gathered a lot of info about online issues and here is how you can play with your friends online without problems. Here is how to figure out what might be wrong with your Internet connection:

Problem 1: If you go to online menu or start co-op and your console freezes. That's really bad and you need to port forward every port I listed below. This also might be problem related to your ISP or if you using old router. 
Solution: Always best solution is using NAT 1 type of connection (without router, directly to Internet from PS3). But you can try to use DMZ for test, See if your console using UPnP function. And try to reconfigure your router settings as listed here.

Also, see workarounds section below.

Problem 2: You host game, and your partner trying to join you - but he gets error "Unable to connect, search for another game". That means you might have stable connection to EA and RA3 servers, ports needed for stable game are seems to be open (but we can't say for sure for now) and game hosted. But your partner might have issues on his side.

Solution: Ask your partner to use DMZ (or port forward) or NAT 1. For now we can be almost sure it's your partner problems trying to reach your hosted game.

Problem 3: You managed to host game, your partner joins you...but can't see your PSN ID in co-op partner small window.

Solution: Good news, you have perfect connection for this game. But bad news..your partner doesn't. Again, ask your partner to use DMZ, port forward or change their connection to NAT 1.

As you can see, most of the solution goes to using NAT1, DMZ and Port Forwarding, but BE WARNED some router models (like my old DIR-320) doesn't port forward or doesn't port forward as they MUST to AND sometimes your ISP can be asshole and give you cheapest routers possible to work with OR they might block ports on their site (outside of your router connection) if you do everything possible but game still dosen't work - contact ISP, they will help you (remember, you paying them for it).

Now summary workarounds:

GAME FREEZES when you select online game or game kicks you out of game when you start online match in 5-10 minutes:

5 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

The fix I found for the freezing issue, is to make sure you're signed out before starting the game then load the disc and let it auto sign-in to PSN when you click on the MP menu :).

This also help if you got kicked out by game. Re-login in PSN being in menus and try playing again.

NAT1:

Enable NAT 1 for both (or for Host only) Host and Client (I tested with me as host with NAT 1 and my partner used DMZ, connection was perfect) .

Basically, put ISP internet cable into PS3 and configure network settings. Your ISP may use PPPoE, that's ok, PS3 can authorize with PPPoE.

DMZ:

Put console in DMZ on your router settings. But don't forget to make your local PS3 IP static. You can set manual IP in PS3's settings or in your LAN settings on Router (better that way). THIS IS SAFE as long if you put your console in DMZ. This will make an firewall-free zone between Internet and your local firewall and PS3 will accept all incoming traffic "as it is" without additional routing or NAT'ing. (This is not accurate description, but It's simplest explanation I can came up with).

Port Forward:

Port forward ports stated on page 19 in RA3 manual. But don't forget to make your local PS3 IP static. You can set manual IP in PS3's settings or in your LAN settings on Router (better that way). I analyzed traffic when you connecting to game and I write here all actual ports game using.
PSN (PS3):

• TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080
  • UDP: 3478, 3479.

RA3:

• TCP:80, 443, 5223, 8080, 9946, 10000, 18290, 18295
  • UDP: 9946, 9570, 3659, 6000, 3478, 3479
Spoiler

Player named Rennikz suggested using this ports too:

• TCP Ports: 80, 13505, 18800, 18805
  • UDP Ports: 53, 10000, 11000-11030, 18805

VPN:

NOT TESTED BY ME

VPN I can easly host VPN server (L2TP, mscahpv2) and you can connect to it using your router or PC + PS3. But, I would suggest using router vpn-client function because setting up PC as getaway for PS3 is not easy for average user. But, If you know how to do it but have questions - shoot away in comments I will guide you.

So, if you know someone with this game or you want to get this platinum nowadays PLEASE share this thread or PM me. Anything can help. Until its too late and servers went down.

Here is PSNProfiles Session link.

Edited by PostalDudeRus
New info for 07.04

I've managed to find more simpler solution, but I still need testing. Anyone willing to help or want to get this platinum done - please reply.

The fix I found for the freezing issue, is to make sure you're signed out before starting the game then load the disc and let it auto sign-in to PSN when you click on the MP menu :).

1 minute ago, HuntingFever said:

Thanks a lot! I've been told by a player that it also helps if you start game and keeps kicking you out of a game in 5-10 minutes. I will quote you in topic.

I can confirm NAT1 is the definitive solution for joining online with a coop partner. From what I have experienced this is exacltly the same issue of Battlefield bad company 2 Onslaught dlc. Infact I can always join with my alt/alts because they are on the same network of my main but I never can join with others players. I managed to play coop only when finally I found an host NAT1

But the real question here is, if my connection is NAT 2, how can I change it to NAT 1 without breaking the router in half?

3 hours ago, Cpt_v0kA said:

But the real question here is, if my connection is NAT 2, how can I change it to NAT 1 without breaking the router in half?

Your options is DMZ or Port Forwarding. NAT1 is connection without router.

Just to confirm this again NAT1 is really the only way to get this working correctly.

Ferruccio and I managed to get everything done in co-op using NAT 1.

On 11/04/2020 at 6:10 PM, Cpt_v0kA said:

You will have to configure your router to "Bridge Mode", this will allow you to directly authenticate your ISP username and password using the PS3's "PPPoE" option, obtaining the NAT 1 connection.

On 03.07.2020 at 2:04 PM, CesarMFM said:

You will have to configure your router to "Bridge Mode", this will allow you to directly authenticate your ISP username and password using the PS3's "PPPoE" option, obtaining the NAT 1 connection.

It will not work if ISP doesn't use PPPoE. And nobody but you will use Internet connection if you do this BUT it will give you NAT1.

Posted (edited)

I did not port forward, DMZ, nor do I have NAT 1, yet I self boosted no problem. 

First i tested my connection on two alts, and I was getting the blank name glitch.

When I switched one alt to my main acc, that glitch fixed itself. 

The only issue I had after that was failing to connect to EA servers, please make an acc error. Trying to reconnect once or twice fixed that. 

Edited by Reinachii-

So you just need 2 accounts total (main and alt) to self boost this?

1 minute ago, Zkhaev said:

So you just need 2 accounts total (main and alt) to self boost this?

And two ps3s/copies of the game.

But don't quote me on it. It wotked for me, apparently not others.