How much of the full game is this?

Hi, without spoiling anything please can someone clarify what the 18 chapters contains? For instance, since we know the game will be split in parts, do we only have some of the 18 chapters listed in this game currently? Or are the 18 chapters in this game the entire 'first part', and the next parts of the game will be on an entirely different disc? Thanks!

55 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I don't know if this still holds true but my understanding is that part 1 is essentially all of Disc 1 of the original release so ends just before you leave Midgar for the first time 1f914.png.

Oh, no, Disc 1 of the original release ended far later in the game. Midgar was the first couple of hours (like, I don't know, around 15-20%).

1 hour ago, CosmoWolf_ said:

Hi, without spoiling anything please can someone clarify what the 18 chapters contains? For instance, since we know the game will be split in parts, do we only have some of the 18 chapters listed in this game currently? Or are the 18 chapters in this game the entire 'first part', and the next parts of the game will be on an entirely different disc? Thanks!

AFAIK, we'll (probably) be getting two more games. There's no confirmed info for this but I think that releasing more than three parts would be overkill. I'm also expecting at least one of them to be more open exploration than this kind of closed, corridor-ish Part 1.

So yeah, like you said: the 18 chapters are the entire Part 1 and the next parts will be on entirely different discs.

Edited by goszu

8 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I don't know if this still holds true but my understanding is that part 1 is essentially all of Disc 1 of the original release so ends just before you leave Midgar for the first time 1f914.png.

Yeah IGN has been saying this.

With that said though with a remake it's hard to say how much they will give or how many other parts there will be. They may do all discs or they may even change the story and go a different route then the original. It's he thing with remakes this is their chance to take their time and make the story they wanted to years ago.

Its still a full game,

Its still like over 40 hours of gameplay, from what i understand, the game has been expanded massively, it does hold true to the first game for the most part but the depth has been added to immensly.

People keep harping back to its only the first few hours of the original game, well surely that shows you how much depth and detail they are adding into the game to flll in the blanks that the original had to essentially skip over because they had to back then?

• Like 2

Just now, Mission001 said:

Its still a full game,

Its still like over 40 hours of gameplay, from what i understand, the game has been expanded massively, it does hold true to the first game for the most part but the depth has been added to immensly.

People keep harping back to its only the first few hours of the original game, well surely that shows you how much depth and detail they are adding into the game to flll in the blanks that the original had to essentially skip over because they had to back then?

You're 100% right ! I haven't played the Remake yet but I'm impressed how much they were able to expand those first few hours of the original game.

And, at the same time, I'm very much interested in how they're going to handle the rest. Because if they gave it the same treatment we'd be getting ten parts of the Remake ?

It's still the same story, they just fleshed out more of what's already there: they give minor characters a lot more screentime and background, for instance.

How much is this in terms of the entire FF7 story? I'd like to say about 20%. This first remake part takes place completely in Midgar. My guess is, though, the pace will pick up in the next few installments, once they start traveling around the world and hitting spots like Kalm, Junon, Cosmo Canyon, the Gold Saucer, etc. This first game was used to set up the pieces on the board, and the board itself, if you will. And the fundamentals are there already: the combat mechanics, the character models, some of the textures, ... The basics which took years to design are there, so they can focus more on crafting all the remaining environments, story events and monster designs around it.

In my opinion, three parts would not be enough to tell the entire story, considering they'd have to cram the rest of disc one and the entirety of discs two and three in two more installments, with the same amount of detail that they put into this first one. Not happening. If they're all equally the same length, give or take. I think we're looking at four parts in total, five at most. If they're planning on splitting this up in six parts or more, it'll start to feel drawn out and bloated, I feel.

And if Square Enix wants to be smart about this, they'll release them one or two years apart from each other. You want to keep the entirety of the player base - or most of it - that got on the FF7 Remake train (Barret pun intended) onboard and invested so that they'll transition into future installments as well. Which means: making sure there's not too much downtime between releases and to keep that hype train going. If they're going to take three years or more for each game to release, we're looking at a very long road ahead of us, and a portion of players will most certainly lose interest. Designing big games like these, though, is a meticulous process which takes a lot of time. So if they would be able to release everything else on a yearly basis with the same level of content and quality, I will take my hat off and bow to them, because that would be a very impressive feat, truth be told.

Additional piece of intel/proof: the original directors of the project said the time was right to make it right now, before they retire. They know the original game and story best, so they want to be the ones to craft the remake. They didn't want to put it in the hands of a younger generation. And if they want to complete all parts before they retire, they're going to have to release subsequent parts at a steady pace. Good news though: they're already working hard on part two, from what I've heard.

TL;DR: if we're lucky, four parts (could also be five) in total to complete the remake, distributed on a yearly (but probably two-yearly) basis. That's my guess.

Edited by JoaLoft

6 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

It's still the same story, they just fleshed out more of what's already there: they give minor characters a lot more screentime and background, for instance.

How much is this in terms of the entire FF7 story? I'd like to say about 20%. This first remake part takes place completely in Midgar.

People who went through the original game files said that Midgar accounted for 30% of the game's script (in text length). In terms of gameplay length, it was obviously a fraction (15-25%) of the rest.

The amount of games they make could be anywhere from 3-5, but there's no use in judging it off the original's 3 discs. The entire game, other than the FMV cutscenes, was contained on each disc entirely. The 3rd disc was just the northern crater due to the amount of cutscenes present. 

It's also possible that some areas are much shorter or cut entirely, in favour of having richer towns and dungeons - imagine if Junon is expanded as much as Midgar has been!  Kalm can basically be cut out since it only existed for a place to dump an hour of backstory on you (and give you a reason to continue after Midgar), which has been drip-fed in this portion and set up Sephiroth as a villain right from the beginning. 

Nobody even knows if there'll be a world map, or if you will just travel to each area via a selection ala FFX-2. FFXV's road trip format worked because they were only travelling across one region (and a separate town), not the entire world.

When trying to predict the number of episodes this remake will span, remember that "Disc 3" of the original only contained the final boss basically (and the ability to free roam and complete side stuff).  If you wanted to you could be done with the original within 1 hour of reaching disc 3

4 hours ago, PancakeTrans said:

People who went through the original game files said that Midgar accounted for 30% of the game's script (in text length). In terms of gameplay length, it was obviously a fraction (15-25%) of the rest.

The amount of games they make could be anywhere from 3-5, but there's no use in judging it off the original's 3 discs. The entire game, other than the FMV cutscenes, was contained on each disc entirely. The 3rd disc was just the northern crater due to the amount of cutscenes present. 

It's also possible that some areas are much shorter or cut entirely, in favour of having richer towns and dungeons - imagine if Junon is expanded as much as Midgar has been!  Kalm can basically be cut out since it only existed for a place to dump an hour of backstory on you (and give you a reason to continue after Midgar), which has been drip-fed in this portion and set up Sephiroth as a villain right from the beginning. 

Nobody even knows if there'll be a world map, or if you will just travel to each area via a selection ala FFX-2. FFXV's road trip format worked because they were only travelling across one region (and a separate town), not the entire world.

Fair enough, disc 3 is pretty much the finale of the game in the Northern Crater. Still, given the fact that they'd expand on all the areas you'll visit in the original game, like they did with Midgar, I don't see this becoming a trilogy. There's just way too much story left to tell in another two installments. Four or five parts in total, that's still my guess.

For better and for worse they're changing the story around so it's really difficult to say how much this game alone covers. They'll also make Vincent and Yuffie mandatory characters instead of optional so they'll most likely expand their stories and roles by quite a lot, especially Vincent who got really shafted in the original.

It was around 15% of the original, but that doesn't mean anything about part 2. Part 2 can cover the rest of the game if they want to. 

Midgar was linear anyway, so it makes sense to make it part 1. If they want to stretch it, it can go up to 3 parts, part 2 could end where Disc 1 ended in the original