Are we enjoying it?

Titanomachy_75

It's kind of... bland, to be honest. It is decent, but I find the story and character interactions very barebones and lacking (two and a half chapters in). Some bits feel like straight up filler, added to run around  in circles. The game looks nice and plays well though. Facial animation is very weak and the cutscenes are only saved by Japanese voice acting.

I hope it will get better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akrioz said:

It's kind of... bland, to be honest. It is decent, but I find the story and character interactions very barebones and lacking (two and a half chapters in). Some bits feel like straight up filler, added to run around  in circles. The game looks nice and plays well though. Facial animation is very weak and the cutscenes are only saved by Japanese voice acting.

I hope it will get better.

ok fair enough :) 

I just got done with FF7r platinum, so this is going to be a nice palette cleanser. FF7 was a bit dense and involved in certain ways, and this is fun, casual and light. 1 chapter in and it's bringing back a lot of nostalgia and feels like a great update to the past series (which are some of my favorite games of all time!). Def. worth it! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LabyrinthWorm said:

I just got done with FF7r platinum, so this is going to be a nice palette cleanser. FF7 was a bit dense and involved in certain ways, and this is fun, casual and light. 1 chapter in and it's bringing back a lot of nostalgia and feels like a great update to the past series (which are some of my favorite games of all time!). Def. worth it! 

great to hear ..Thanks for the info

6 minutes ago, Joker-Kun890 said:

I preordered Secret and just never got around to playing it, so I held off on preordering this one, but I must admit I really like the look of it. 

Im going to try and okay through Secret asap and pick this one up soon. 

I look forward to hearing people's reviews. 

yeah, Funny I got hyped for this game when I heard gamecross keep mention it lol

• Like 1

The game capsulates most of the feeling you can get from the original whilst still offering a renewed combat system that tears down most of that huge grind you had to do

in the past but alas the game falls short in comparison, It's just not good enough.

There is something missing and it took me a few chapters in too really aknowledge what that was, in the original seiken dentsetsu you had combat where if you used a spell, normally a short cast time would follow and then a flashy animation. They offered some of the most beatiful pixel art on the console back then but they also "stopped time", this made it so spells was normally ideal as you had more control when using them, and you wanted to spam more then the AI as it worked the same for them and that made the original really difficult at specific locations/bosses. It was simply unfair that the bosses spammed beam attacks that paused the game and "bad luck" of what abilities enemies used in succession got you killed often.

All of that is now gone for the bosses, all their attacks ends up as red spaces on the ground that you can avoid by dodge/walking while you still have some of your own (makes you unkillable but not your party members) so that is a massive nerf in terms of difficulty alone.

Debuffs are basically useless against you, petrify and poison is just not deadly enough anymore as the combat is faster and things like traps and chest traps is not even a thing anymore. Think the only place trap damage is a thing is middle of the game during the volcano or the toxic forest but that is during non-combat sections so healing between is a possibility.

Leveling up is quick, way to quick but so is the story. It takes only a few hours to beat this game if you are just spamming specials constantly, which makes it very repetitive in comparison to the original.

That "You get gud" feeling is gone, it's not even there anymore as the difficulty is so low now and I'm playing only on Hard mode from the start.. Only used one revive item and I'm at the last bosses, it's not a challenge and that is a big let down..

The biggest issue I have though which makes me just want to go back to the original is the translation of graphics, I swear there is so many creatures and npc's that is just plain wrong in this. Nothing with the 3d models capsulates the original besides a handful, only I can think of is Rabite, Mushrooms or Bee's and all the other sprites sticks out really awkwardly. It was a moment where one of the NPC's with the canon shows up (early on teleportation tool) and in my memory from the sprite work he was a racoon of sorts, badger or something then seeing him now as a humanoid dwarf and a high pitched voice just is plain wrong, this happens all the time.  I just don't get it.. It's like watching the Thing 2012 before John Carpenters the Thing... Just shouldnt be.

Edited by NightRusticDawn
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I just beat it and I enjoyed it.  It was a tad on the easy side.  I chalked it up to me playing Angela and she's mean.  There was a difficulty spike at the end of Chapter 1/Beginning of 2, but then I unlocked class change and balanced out.  The Black Rabite provided a challenge, but it's the Super Boss and that's it's job.  It was fun.  I liked most of the boss encounters.

I loved the characters.  I love Angela, she was the highlight of the game.  I loved her accent(dialect?) way of talking.  And like I said above, she's mean in battle.  Once she learns Stone Cloud and Annihilate, it's over.

I really liked the music.  Like how all the plot important bosses got their own themes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ilzaki said:

I just beat it and I enjoyed it.  It was a tad on the easy side.  I chalked it up to me playing Angela and she's mean.  There was a difficulty spike at the end of Chapter 1/Beginning of 2, but then I unlocked class change and balanced out.  The Black Rabite provided a challenge, but it's the Super Boss and that's it's job.  It was fun.  I liked most of the boss encounters.

I loved the characters.  I love Angela, she was the highlight of the game.  I loved her accent(dialect?) way of talking.  And like I said above, she's mean in battle.  Once she learns Stone Cloud and Annihilate, it's over.

I really liked the music.  Like how all the plot important bosses got their own themes.

Seems like alot of people liking it :)

• Like 1

Really liking this one, the spirit of the original game is strong, maybe is a bit easier than the SNES game, but still very enjoyable, and the music are reaaaaly good.

My team for the first run is Hawkeye/Riesz/Charlotte on Normal.

For a challenge play on Hard.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I originally played this game on a SNES emulator on my mom's PC when I was a kid, and loved it to death. This is such a nicely polished version of the game, I can't help but wonder why the Secret of Mana remake of 2018 was nowhere near this quality--but that's for another topic.

I'll say this: whoever was in charge of designing the towns should get a raise. I never even think to notice how boring most rest hubs are in these kind of games, but the love and attention to detail put into these villages (and I'm only on chapter 2, currently) is astounding!

Anyways, I love it so far, not sure why it isn't a full $60 but I'm not complaining, either!

• 2 weeks later...

I quite enjoyed the first playtrough. The combat was fun, the graphics nice and I was high on nostalgia.

Then I started NG plus and game became incredibly boring and unfunny. Its not just the easy combat, but the really bland story, the backtracking, the fact that I had to do basically the same game 3 times and most important the insane, mindnumbing load times.

I really lost all interest in the game halfway trough my second run.

I loved the game back on the snes, but now I hadto force myself to finish it, thats sad. I platted it a few minutes ago and I don‘t want to touch it ever again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ranari_Kai said:

I quite enjoyed the first playtrough. The combat was fun, the graphics nice and I was high on nostalgia.

Then I started NG plus and game became incredibly boring and unfunny. Its not just the easy combat, but the really bland story, the backtracking, the fact that I had to do basically the same game 3 times and most important the insane, mindnumbing load times.

I really lost all interest in the game halfway trough my second run.

I loved the game back on the snes, but now I hadto force myself to finish it, thats sad. I platted it a few minutes ago and I don‘t want to touch it ever again.

lol I will pick it up at a discount price. 

• 4 weeks later...