The Last of Us Part 2 File Size Requirement Revealed for PS4

ziggypossum

The Last of Us Part 2 File Size Requirement Revealed For PS4

The Last of Us Part 2 has a new release date of June 19 and it is out exclusively for PS4. Here’s how much disk space is required to install the game.

As you can see above, the game has a minimum file size requirement of 100 GB which makes it the second game this year after Final Fantasy 7 Remake to require this hefty file size. This is starting to become more common as the generation is coming to an end.

the-last-of-us-part-2-file-size.png

https://twistedvoxel.com/the-last-of-us-part-2-file-size/

• Like 3

Damn why are getting games so fucking big ? I can install two games for that size.

I was already annoyed when Doom (2016) became so huge with all those updates.

With FF VII I can understand a size like that, after all it is a Final Fantasy game and those tend to be pretty huge. But Last of Us ? Since when is that a RPG-length game ?

• Like 1

Probably all the high quality assets. Detailed textures and tons of cinematics can add a lot to a file size.
I knew it was going to be approaching 100GB when I read it was going to be on two discs.
It's why I bought a 4TB external HDD a few months before FFVII Remake came out.

Several games have gotten larger with DLC. AC Origins and Odyssey take up as much, if not more, space than FFVII, if you have all the updates and DLC installed.
I think FFXV is almost 80GB with everything.

This is going to be the norm going forward. File sizes for big budget titles will only get bigger.
Unless you delete games often, you'll be stocking up on external storage like you stocked up on memory cards back in the day.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

Damn why are getting games so fucking big ? I can install two games for that size.

With FF VII I can understand a size like that, after all it is a Final Fantasy game and those tend to be pretty huge. But Last of Us ? Since when is that a RPG-length game ?

It's not like FFVII is a 100 hr game lol.

Most of the filesize usually comes from the pre-rended cutscenes along with textures. + since we're living in the digital age, i doubt much time is being spent on compressing files in order to save on disk space.

I do think it's funny multiple disk games are coming back. I used to say games like lost odyssey etc with 4 disks where a thing of the past but now here we are.

Edited by xZoneHunter

Not really surprised, it's just how big games are gonna be from now on.

One thing I'm definitely worried about is when it comes to PS5's storage. If I remember correctly it was like 825 GB only for the standard model. That won't really last long in my opinion, and since we can't obviously use external HDDs anymore I wonder how Sony's gonna go about it in the future.

27 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

There is a claim that The PlayStation 5’s SSD Could Reduce Game File Sizes, Allow You to Install Only Certain Parts of a Game.

But who knows? :hmm:

5 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

It's not like FFVII is a 100 hr game lol.

Most FFs aren't . What's your point ? I said Last of Us is no RPG-length game. Not every RPG is 100+ hours long. In fact most Final Fantasy games are about 50-60 hours long. Which is what I mean with RPG length (Because last I checked Final Fantasy is a classic RPG).

Bottom line: The Last of Us certainly is not 50 hours long like FF VII is.

1 minute ago, PostGameBlues said:

One thing I'm definitely worried about is when it comes to PS5's storage. If I remember correctly it was like 825 GB only for the standard model. That won't really last long in my opinion, and since we can't obviously use external HDDs anymore I wonder how Sony's gonna go about it in the future.

From what I understand, the PS5 will support external HDD's, you just won't be able to play games directly from them. So the idea is that you store games on the external HDD and transfer them over to SSD when you're ready to play them. The PS5 will also support some third party SSD's, but you can expect the ones with more storage space (that also meet the speed requirement) to be very expensive.

3 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

Most FFs aren't . What's your point ? I said Last of Us is no RPG-length game. Not every RPG is 100+ hours long. In fact most Final Fantasy games are about 50-60 hours long. Which is what I mean with RPG length (Because last I checked Final Fantasy is a classic RPG).

My point is that length has nothing to do with it. Just because TLOU 2 is "not an RPG length game" doesn't mean it cannot have a large file size.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

The point is that it is pretty short-sided to think that the physical size of the game depends only on how long the game is. Things like resolution of textures, the amount of pre-rendered cinematics, the amount of unique assets used and many other things play a significant role.

Edited by BloodyRutz

22 minutes ago, Seraphim_Rez said:

Probably all the high quality assets. Detailed textures and tons of cinematics can add a lot to a file size.
I knew it was going to be approaching 100GB when I read it was going to be on two discs.

Several games have gotten larger with DLC. AC Origins and Odyssey take up as much, if not more, space than FFVII, if you have all the updates and DLC installed.

This is going to be the norm going forward. File sizes for big budget titles will only get bigger.
Unless you delete games often, you'll be stocking up on external storage like you stocked up on memory cards back in the day.

Sadly I have not made good experiences with external HDD. I bought an external 1 TB drive a few months ago but had nothing but technical issues with it. Many games that I installed on it (especially those I installed first) eventually gave me a "data corrupted" error even though I checked the HDD and it could not find any bad or damaged sectors. Even the FF VII demo did not run right on my external HDD and gave me the same corrupted data error after about 10  minutes. Some games do run without issues on the external drive but I had to move so many games back to my internal drive because the external would give me that "corrupted data" error (Sometimes only after several hours of gameplay).

However with my internal drive, which is the simple 500 GB Toshiba drive that comes with the PS4 (Have one of the first models) I never have any issues. So I usually just use the external drive for storage now and have the games I am actively playing on my internal drive. And you won't believe how many times the external drive got allegedly damaged by something and I had to re-download and install hundreds of GB all over again and again. So far the whole external HDD feature has been nothing but a pain in the ass for me.

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

From what I understand, the PS5 will support external HDD's, you just won't be able to play games directly from them. So the idea is that you store games on the external HDD and transfer them over to SSD when you're ready to play them. The PS5 will also support some third party SSD's, but you can expect the ones with more storage space (that also meet the speed requirement) to be very expensive.

I see, that's better than nothing at least lol. Although I guess we really just have to accept the fact that storage expansion is gonna be a lot more expensive from now on ?.

1 hour ago, talespagni said:

The biggest one that I know is Battlefield 1, with all its updates, 133 GB.

Maybe the latest COD: MW is bigger, though? I'm not sure.

It is. Modern Warfare currently is 175GB. I had to delete 5 games to install that behemoth.

1 hour ago, Cloudbahamut said:

Sadly I have not made good experiences with external HDD. I bought an external 1 TB drive a few months ago but had nothing but technical issues with it. Many games that I installed on it (especially those I installed first) eventually gave me a "data corrupted" error even though I checked the HDD and it could not find any bad or damaged sectors. Even the FF VII demo did not run right on my external HDD and gave me the same corrupted data error after about 10  minutes. Some games do run without issues on the external drive but I had to move so many games back to my internal drive because the external would give me that "corrupted data" error (Sometimes only after several hours of gameplay).

However with my internal drive, which is the simple 500 GB Toshiba drive that comes with the PS4 (Have one of the first models) I never have any issues. So I usually just use the external drive for storage now and have the games I am actively playing on my internal drive. And you won't believe how many times the external drive got allegedly damaged by something and I had to re-download and install hundreds of GB all over again and again. So far the whole external HDD feature has been nothing but a pain in the ass for me.

Now I'm kinda nervous. I've copied and installed a bunch of games to my external, but haven't spend a lot of time playing games off of it. Looks like I'm gonna have to do some testing.

1 minute ago, Seraphim_Rez said:

Now I'm kinda nervous. I've copied and installed a bunch of games to my external, but haven't spend a lot of time playing games off of it. Looks like I'm gonna have to do some testing.

It seems to be very random. Some games can't even start without giving a corrupted data error. Other games have that error after like 10 minutes. Other games only have that error after several hours of playtime and yet other games run without any issues at all. It seems to be happening primarily to the games that are installed first on the drive. At least in my case. The games I installed after having already installed around 300-400 GB of games did not nearly had as much issues as those first several hundred GB games I installed.

Maybe it's simply the HDD though. It was not a very expensive one (around 40 bucks) and I read that the cheaper HDD's are more prone to these issues then the expensive ones. Maybe some parts of my HDD are just faulty and when a game gets installed on those parts it gets the error. Sometimes I also would get a corrupted data error when downloading games to the external and then the game itself becomes corrupted and I have to re-download. Happened to me with Rise of the Tomb Raider once. When I re-downloaded it I had no issues though.

When a game on my external gets the corrupted data error though and I move it to the internal HDD the game runs fine without any issues at all. So it definitely has to be a problem with the external drive. But since the internal never has any problems like that maybe it has to do with the USB connection between the external drive and the console ? It's just weird and very annoying.

38 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

It is. Modern Warfare currently is 175GB. I had to delete 5 games to install that behemoth.

Isn't Star Wars Battlefront II even bigger with over 200 GB currently ?

7 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

It seems to be very random. Some games can't even start without giving a corrupted data error. Other games have that error after like 10 minutes. Other games only have that error after several hours of playtime and yet other games run without any issues at all. It seems to be happening primarily to the games that are installed first on the drive. At least in my case. The games I installed after having already installed around 300-400 GB of games did not nearly had as much issues as those first several hundred GB games I installed.

Maybe it's simply the HDD though. It was not a very expensive one (around 40 bucks) and I read that the cheaper HDD's are more prone to these issues then the expensive ones. Maybe some parts of my HDD are just faulty and when a game gets installed on those parts it gets the error. Sometimes I also would get a corrupted data error when downloading games to the external and then the game itself becomes corrupted and I have to re-download. Happened to me with Rise of the Tomb Raider once. When I re-downloaded it I had no issues though.

When a game on my external gets the corrupted data error though and I move it to the internal HDD the game runs fine without any issues at all. So it definitely has to be a problem with the external drive. But since the internal never has any problems like that maybe it has to do with the USB connection between the external drive and the console ? It's just weird and very annoying.

It could be multiple things. The cable having connection issues could certainly be a part of it. It's rare but sometimes you end up with dead or defective electronics out of the box.
$40 does seem cheap for a external HDD. What brand was it? Mine was about $120 for 4TB Western Digital.

1 minute ago, Seraphim_Rez said:

It could be multiple things. The cable having connection issues could certainly be a part of it. It's rare but sometimes you end up with dead or defective electronics out of the box.
$40 does seem cheap for a external HDD. What brand was it? Mine was about $120 for 4TB Western Digital.

Mine is a 1TB Seagate. Though I heard that the 4TB drives seem to work better with PS4 then the 1TB ones. Also I read from several people that WD gave them less issues then Seagate drives.

10 minutes ago, Cloudbahamut said:

Mine is a 1TB Seagate. Though I heard that the 4TB drives seem to work better with PS4 then the 1TB ones. Also I read from several people that WD gave them less issues then Seagate drives.

I hear all kinds of different things about HDDs on consoles. If this is the only external HDD you've had for your PS4, I'd say it's worth seeing if you just got a bad one and if getting another would fix it.

2 hours ago, Seraphim_Rez said:

Hmmm, a game that will have 2 discs. Haven't seen a lot of that since the PS1 era. 

And as for another large game, ESO was around 130GB before they made a mandatory restructuring of the game files. And that meant that every single player had to completely reinstall the entire game from scratch. Now it sits at about 100GB. And this is a 6 year old game that is still getting more and more DLC and updates every month. They actually have enough DLC packs that the game is listed twice on PSN to fit in all the separate DLC packs. 

yeah lots of games became much much bigger (easily twice as large) with updates and DLC. Spider-Man or Arkham Knight also are around 80 GB each in their complete forms for example. Even Gran Turismo Sport has nearly 100 GB (A goddamn racing game, wtf).

But that was not really the point I tried to make with my first post. I was talking about games that already take up 100 GB WITHOUT any updates or DLC. And for an action adventure like Last of Us that is definitely rare. I mean the base game is like twice as big as Uncharted 4. That's pretty insane.