A Casual BACKLOG EVENT NOW FINISHED

I love the idea of this casual backlog event! I'm relatively new to pretty much everything (trophy hunting, online forums), and this is the first community event that doesn't seem daunting for a filthy casual like me. I doubt I'll be high on the leaderboards any time soon, but I'd love to give this a shot. Any excuse to start games I wouldn't otherwise complete. Does anyone have any tips on choosing their games for this (I have so many "classics" to sift through)? 

7 hours ago, FFATMA said:

I got another trophy done in Super Meat Boy!  Man, every trophy for that game feels like a major accomplishment!  ?

I feel the same way every time I touch that game. Each little step gives you more and more confidence. I remember when I could barely get Wood Boy and got so frustrated trying to no-death The Hospital that I quit for 2 months. I came back months later and went from like 4 trophies to 14. Now I've got just about half the no-deaths done. Keep at it. Though I can say the difficulty massively ramps up when you get to Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy. Even beating Cotton Alley normally was a major challenge. I still haven't beaten 7-20 in par time to unlock 7-20x. I'll go back to it someday, at least to get every trophy in the game except for Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy. Those three... yeah, maybe in a few years. xD 

4 hours ago, be_minor said:

Does anyone have any tips on choosing their games for this (I have so many "classics" to sift through)? 

What I would do in your case is place at least one game in every tier that you're particularly interested in right now. Games that you might be interested in but unsure if you can complete the story/whatever should be sprinkled through the higher tiers.

One of the requirements is completing at least one game of a lower tier to unlock a higher tier, so if you have at least one game of interest in every tier you'll be able to confidently "unlock" all the tiers so you can mix-and-match which games you want to play. That way, maybe you finish a tier 5 game and suddenly a tier 2 game holds your interest, you'll be able to flip-flop back and forth on your tier list. 

Maybe select games of different genres too? That way you don't burn out by playing one type of game over and over (like playing just shooters, or RPGs, etc). Maybe throw some indies in there, classics, AAA, etc. Since you're relatively new to all of this, perhaps choose easier games, less demanding games, games within your skill level, shorter games, etc. That way you can challenge yourself and "see" results rather than over burdening yourself and feel like you're not making progress at all.

Also one last thing, trophy hunting encompasses a wide array of gamers: ezpz hunters, ultra rare hunters, completion % hunters, online-only gamers, difficulty seekers and especially casual hunters. Just cause you're a casual hunter doesn't make you any less than anyone else. As long as you're having fun with whatever your goals are in trophy hunting, that's all that matters. Nothing filthy about that. :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, be_minor said:

I love the idea of this casual backlog event! I'm relatively new to pretty much everything (trophy hunting, online forums), and this is the first community event that doesn't seem daunting for a filthy casual like me. I doubt I'll be high on the leaderboards any time soon, but I'd love to give this a shot. Any excuse to start games I wouldn't otherwise complete. Does anyone have any tips on choosing their games for this (I have so many "classics" to sift through)? 

As well as the fab tips from Sword I’d also recommend having some games of different genres to keep things interesting! If you have 15 RPGs or 15 platformers it’ll get pretty old pretty fast. 

Also I wish I put different games on my pyramid.  I haven’t played anything on my pyramid in ages because Mafia annoyed me and nothing else I really fancied ? so I’ve been playing and platting things not part of the event and my score stays at 3 forever ?

• Like 2

On 8/8/2020 at 7:20 AM, Sword said:

I feel the same way every time I touch that game. Each little step gives you more and more confidence. I remember when I could barely get Wood Boy and got so frustrated trying to no-death The Hospital that I quit for 2 months. I came back months later and went from like 4 trophies to 14. Now I've got just about half the no-deaths done. Keep at it. Though I can say the difficulty massively ramps up when you get to Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy. Even beating Cotton Alley normally was a major challenge. I still haven't beaten 7-20 in par time to unlock 7-20x. I'll go back to it someday, at least to get every trophy in the game except for Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy. Those three... yeah, maybe in a few years. xD 

What I would do in your case is place at least one game in every tier that you're particularly interested in right now. Games that you might be interested in but unsure if you can complete the story/whatever should be sprinkled through the higher tiers.

One of the requirements is completing at least one game of a lower tier to unlock a higher tier, so if you have at least one game of interest in every tier you'll be able to confidently "unlock" all the tiers so you can mix-and-match which games you want to play. That way, maybe you finish a tier 5 game and suddenly a tier 2 game holds your interest, you'll be able to flip-flop back and forth on your tier list. 

Maybe select games of different genres too? That way you don't burn out by playing one type of game over and over (like playing just shooters, or RPGs, etc). Maybe throw some indies in there, classics, AAA, etc. Since you're relatively new to all of this, perhaps choose easier games, less demanding games, games within your skill level, shorter games, etc. That way you can challenge yourself and "see" results rather than over burdening yourself and feel like you're not making progress at all.

Also one last thing, trophy hunting encompasses a wide array of gamers: ezpz hunters, ultra rare hunters, completion % hunters, online-only gamers, difficulty seekers and especially casual hunters. Just cause you're a casual hunter doesn't make you any less than anyone else. As long as you're having fun with whatever your goals are in trophy hunting, that's all that matters. Nothing filthy about that. :)

On 8/8/2020 at 7:56 AM, hittheroadbucky said:

As well as the fab tips from Sword I’d also recommend having some games of different genres to keep things interesting! If you have 15 RPGs or 15 platformers it’ll get pretty old pretty fast. 

Also I wish I put different games on my pyramid.  I haven’t played anything on my pyramid in ages because Mafia annoyed me and nothing else I really fancied 1f602.png so I’ve been playing and platting things not part of the event and my score stays at 3 forever 1f602.png

Thank you both for the tips! It makes this list a bit more fun, trying to diversify the tiers with games I really want to play/ different genres. (I play mostly the same genres over and over though ?) I really appreciate the kind words and affirmations about trophy hunting, @Sword. Just the boost of confidence to finally commit to this challenge. 

Sorry to hear about Mafia burnout, @hittheroadbucky. That's one of the games I was thinking about including on this list, specifically Mafia III ? 

Sooo, with much consideration, and quite a few changes over the past couple of days, here's my Casual Backlog Challenge pyramid:

Tier 1

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Tier 2

Dishonored Definitive Edition

Uncharted 2 Remastered

Tier 3

Darksiders Warmastered

Greedfall

Resident Evil

Tier 4

Firewatch

Red Dead Redemption

Prey

Hitman 2

Tier 5

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Wolfenstein II

Arkham City

Metro Exodus

Doom (2016)

Most of these games I've heard great things about, but I've been dissuaded to attempt in fear of a low completion percentage. I can't wait to see what I've been missing about these classics.

Edited by be_minor
  • Like 1

I think I'll be able to finish Persona 5 Royal tomorrow night after work finally.  Just passed the 100 hour played mark on it!  On an unrelated note, I have a new #1 rarest trophy, Needle Boy from Super Meat Boy!  1.27%!  Was so happy when I finished the last level and that popped!

• Like 1

Just a small update

I've only put a couple more minutes into Metro Last Light, i'm really focusing on Red dead 2 now, and I'll probably finish it off by the weekend if i find the time, almost reaching my 200th platinum, i can't believe it, only need to kill a few bears, finish about 30 challenges, find an owl and complete 2 bounties, then i'll go back to my pyramid

• Like 2

On 11/08/2020 at 7:02 PM, Phantochi said:

Just a small update

I've only put a couple more minutes into Metro Last Light, i'm really focusing on Red dead 2 now, and I'll probably finish it off by the weekend if i find the time, almost reaching my 200th platinum, i can't believe it, only need to kill a few bears, finish about 30 challenges, find an owl and complete 2 bounties, then i'll go back to my pyramid

Good luck! And congratulations on 200!

I’m close to my 50th but I’m not sure what I want I be my milestone so I haven’t really made much progress in anything  ?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hittheroadbucky said:

Good luck! And congratulations on 200!

I’m close to my 50th but I’m not sure what I want I be my milestone so I haven’t really made much progress in anything  1f914.png

Thanks, i just made a bit more progress, i'll definetely be getting this one soon, i'm super stoked about it lol

You have so many good games to choose from, Red Dead 2 would be a good choice for you as well, you already got all missable and mp stuff, just use replay for the gold medals then go for the 100%, may take you a while depending on what you've done so far but it's worth imo, you also have GTA Vice City and Outer Worlds ready to go, and other games like Witcher 3, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous Second Son, GTA V, Detroit Become Human, all those Kingdom Hearts games, just pick one that you enjoy and finish it off, 50 plats is a hell of a milestone, so throw something you love in there :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phantochi said:

Thanks, i just made a bit more progress, i'll definetely be getting this one soon, i'm super stoked about it lol

You have so many good games to choose from, Red Dead 2 would be a good choice for you as well, you already got all missable and mp stuff, just use replay for the gold medals then go for the 100%, may take you a while depending on what you've done so far but it's worth imo, you also have GTA Vice City and Outer Worlds ready to go, and other games like Witcher 3, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous Second Son, GTA V, Detroit Become Human, all those Kingdom Hearts games, just pick one that you enjoy and finish it off, 50 plats is a hell of a milestone, so throw something you love in there :)

It’s definitely going to be an amazing feeling when you get it! ?

For Red Dead I have so many challenges left to do, so I probably have like 100 hours left for that platinum ? I’m thinking of maybe going for Vice City or Kingdom Hearts ? 

• Like 1

I finally finished off a game in tier 5!  So now, I'll have to figure out which one I'll go for next, but I'm kind of leaning towards FF8 or Kingdom Hearts 3.  Persona 5 was amazing but I found that at one point I was just wishing it would end, because it seemed like it was going to stretch on forever!  

Level 1

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4

Level 2

Knack

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Level 3

Minecraft Dungeons

Detroit Become Human

One Punch Man: A Hero Nobody Knows

Level 4

FFVIII

Kingdom Hearts 3

Dragon Quest Heroes 2

The Last of Us 2

Level 5

RDR2

Dragon Quest XI

Star Ocean: The Last Hope Remastered

Final Fantasy XV

Persona 5 Royal

• Like 2

On 12/08/2020 at 10:48 PM, hittheroadbucky said:

It’s definitely going to be an amazing feeling when you get it! ?

For Red Dead I have so many challenges left to do, so I probably have like 100 hours left for that platinum 1f630.png I’m thinking of maybe going for Vice City or Kingdom Hearts 1f914.png 

Nah, challenges are all pretty easy and fast to get done, i only got stuck on some gambler challenges, the ones were you need to be a dominoes pro player, but the rest are all easy

Vice city is a good one, i'll start it soon when i clear my list a bit, how did you took the cannoli btw? 

1 hour ago, Phantochi said:

Nah, challenges are all pretty easy and fast to get done, i only got stuck on some gambler challenges, the ones were you need to be a dominoes pro player, but the rest are all easy

Vice city is a good one, i'll start it soon when i clear my list a bit, how did you took the cannoli btw? 

I used the method where you find 80 of the hidden obliges, play cone crazy a certain number of times and then you set the Seaplane in front of a truck in the movie theatre and rubber band your controller. The set up probably took me a couple hours, then I left the game running while I went to sleep. That’s the first time I’ve done something like that for a trophy, but the legit method seems ridiculous ?

On 8/11/2020 at 5:15 AM, hittheroadbucky said:

@be_minor The story of the game is really cool, but it’s so buggy 1f643.png

You’ve got a really good pyramid though! Firewatch is amazing! Also I’m so curious about Greedfall, I’ve heard that game is amazing too! 

Thanks! I've heard great things about both games, and that Greedfall is comparable to a Bioware RPG, so I'm pretty stoked to get to that tier. 

@FFATMA Congrats on completing P5 Royal! Have you figured out which game to complete next? Ni No Kuni is one of my absolute favorites, but it's one of the first JRPGs I've ever played, so I may be a bit biased.

Quick Update: I'm still playing my first game (FFVII Remake). There are parts that are endearing, and the combat can be difficult to master (I still haven't), but overall I'm having fun. I definitely think the remake is probably better to people who loved the original. I've never played a Final Fantasy until XV, and even then I didn't finish it. Also, I'm finding the characters a bit too static/ archetypal for my liking, but I've been assured they flesh out the more I play. Currently on Chapter 9.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, be_minor said:

Thanks! I've heard great things about both games, and that Greedfall is comparable to a Bioware RPG, so I'm pretty stoked to get to that tier. 

@FFATMA Congrats on completing P5 Royal! Have you figured out which game to complete next? Ni No Kuni is one of my absolute favorites, but it's one of the first JRPGs I've ever played, so I may be a bit biased.

Quick Update: I'm still playing my first game (FFVII Remake). There are parts that are endearing, and the combat can be difficult to master (I still haven't), but overall I'm having fun. I definitely think the remake is probably better to people who loved the original. I've never played a Final Fantasy until XV, and even then I didn't finish it. Also, I'm finding the characters a bit too static/ archetypal for my liking, but I've been assured they flesh out the more I play. Currently on Chapter 9.

I've started on KH3 and I have no idea what is going on story-wise, but it's still fun to play!  I definitely agree that FF7R would be much, much better for people who played the original, because you get to see and hear so many things that you remember from the first game!  I loved the remake, I should probably finish off the platinum for it, but I've been so busy with other games!

I started and finished a game called Magus yesterday, which is in the Playstation Now library.  The story is pretty bad and the graphics aren't wonderful, but it was actually kind of fun playing a mage with basically machine gun spells!  Took me a little under 6 hours to get the platinum, but I wasn't speeding through the game.

Finally reached the top 10,000 for my country rankings!  I started keeping track of stats once I started trophy hunting and I started off at 820,102nd in the world and 38,412 in Canada, so I've done pretty well considering it's only been 4 months and I barely got any other trophies while I was focused on Persona 5!  I'm just about in the top 200,000 in the world!  My PS4 time is about to drop for a bit though, because Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 releases tonight!  It looks so good!

Edited by FFATMA
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, hittheroadbucky said:

I actually played Magus at the start of the year and was surprised by how much fun I had with it. If you have Now I’d also recommend Black Mirror. It’s maybe only a 5 hour game but it’s pretty cool

I've had that one on my list of decently quick plats for a while now, I'll try it soon, thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Major Update: After a mini socially-distanced vacation, I finally finished Final Fantasy VII Remake and thus, completed my first tier! As someone who doesn't play JRPGs, I really enjoyed this experience overall. The characters became a bit more dynamic, the graphics were constantly stellar, and the OST is one of my favorite ever (the last chapter especially). I'm gonna go back through and obtain some of the easier missable trophies, but I doubt I'll 100% this anytime soon. I think the plat requires mastering the combat, and I'm nowhere close to that. Next stop: Tier 2!

Tier 1

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Tier 2

Dishonored Definitive Edition

Uncharted 2 Remastered

Tier 3

Darksiders Warmastered

Greedfall

Resident Evil

Tier 4

Firewatch

Red Dead Redemption

Prey

Hitman 2

Tier 5

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Wolfenstein II

Arkham City

Metro Exodus

Doom (2016)

On 8/17/2020 at 10:34 AM, FFATMA said:

I definitely agree that FF7R would be much, much better for people who played the original, because you get to see and hear so many things that you remember from the first game!

Definitely think I missed out on a lot of nods to the original, but that makes me want to play it even more. The original may have to be on my next pyramid (if I get there, I have so many meaty, time-consuming games ahead). And congrats on achieving top 10,000 in your country! 

• Like 3

Level 1

Hitman 2 • Additional Expansions - PS4 ✅ Completed July 2nd

Level 2

Idle Champions - PS4 :platinum: Completed August 7th
Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns - PS3 :platinum: Completed July 10th

Level 3

Unravel - PS4
FFVII: Remake - PS4
Shadow of the Colossus - PS4 ✅ Completed the story, lots to go for plat but gonna tick this off here for now.

Level 4

NieR Automata - PS4 :platinum: Completed August 31st
Persona 5 Royal - PS4
Okami HD - PS3
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time - PS3

Level 5
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - PS3
Danganronpa 1・2 Reload - PS4
Final Fantasy X-2 HD - PS4
Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4
Batman Arkham Asylum - PS3

Here's a long-overdue update. Added completion for NieR:Automata and Idle Champions.

• Like 2

Finally an update from me again! There wasn't a lot happening on my end, but some things are happening. As I mentioned earlier I swapped Divinity: Original Sin with Ghost of Tsushima. I've now completed Ghost of Tsushima, and damn - what a game. I won't spoil anything for obvious reasons but if you get the chance you should really play it! I love, love, love the combat system in the game, the duels are amazing and the world is so beautiful. Now that I've finished the story I will definitely go clean up the remaining trophies since they are not at all difficult just a little time consuming. A little more tedious platinum than what I would like on such a good game but I really can't put it down, my body says I have to finish this masterpiece

Maybe I'm giving it too much praise but you can decide for yourself, tell me if I'm wrong hehe. This means I've actually completed all games from level 2 (almost platinumed) and after I can finally put down Ghost of Tsushima - I will finally return to Diablo 3 again which really had me sucked in until Ghost came out. 

My studies have just begun again, so I will have less time to play (even though somehow it seems I play more videogames when I don't have time for it, than when I actually do have time for it.) I will also be playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater Remake on the side because that game just hits right in the nostalgia for me, unfortunately I can't swap it, and also at this rate of completion I'd end up swapping every game out with new games I'd like to play, so I'll try kicking it up a gear even though it's some big games ahead of me. 

Here's a picture of my pyramid progress until now:

6OKmpCb.png

I'm not halfway yet, but I have almost made it to the bottom of my pyramid! After Diablo I don't really have a preference of what to play, I'm thinking Titan Souls because I think it's a bit shorter than the others, but I would also like to wait with the short games a little longer. 

If you got any suggestions of what to do after Diablo please come with them, I am open to everything. 

Hope you're all doing well out there both with your pyramids and your lives :))

• Like 3

15 hours ago, be_minor said:

Congrats on the progress @Mr-ttaM. What game are you tackling next?? (I'm rooting for Ni No Kuni)

I'm thinking of going for Danganronpa next. I've finished off the first game and am about half way through the second. Although all of that row are wonderful choices! They're all games I've started and have enjoyed. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update from me again - relatively quick this time for a change. Trying to catch up to all of you others. I finally got the platinum I Ghost of Tsushima, so now I will go on to Diablo 3 again, while chilling out with Tony Hawk Pro Skater remake on the side. If you've played Ghost of Tsushima and wondering if you should go for the platinum, that maybe in this case, only go for it if you really like the mechanics and such. Personally I liked it though it was a bit too much of a checklist on that world map. 

Here is a picture of my progress:

O35ApfB.png

I hope it's going you all well even though the activity in here has fallen quite a bit - hopefully I will soon be back with an update on Diablo 3, that has been a long time coming for sure

• Like 3