Where do you like to save?

Phlegeth

Save points are mostly a thing of the past.  And a lot of games have checkpoints and auto-saves.    But it's the end of the session and you're getting ready to get off, is there a place you like to save or do you just stop where you are?  Do you even manually save?  Obviously it varies from game to game, but just in general. 

Like in RPGs, I like to save at an Inn.  Always been a staple in a lot of games that the Inn'd have a Save Point, if they don't ask you to save your game when you take a nap right out.  Pokémon was probably the one that started it for me.  Right in front of the PC as always been where I save the game, since Red.

If not an Inn, I like to save at the central hub or hangout for the party.  Like in Dark Souls 2, 3, and Bloodborne, I travel back to the level up lady and log off there.

So yea, talk about your saving habits or lack there of.

• Like 3

In games like Minecraft, I like to save while standing on my bed in my base. I have multiple little places with beds where I stand before leaving spread around.

For games like GTA V, I always tried to save while near an airport so I could be close to an airplane the next time I load in.

When it comes to other games I tend to find saving habits but I can't think of anything right now.

• Like 1

I think it kind of depends, in my case. For instance, in Nier:Automata I saved in the hub with the rest of the humans. In the Witcher III I usually saved in a nice place with a good view on the background. Same is being applied to Red Dead.

Usually, I save in a quiet, relaxing and (if possible) beautiful place :)  If a nice landscape is available, then perfect saving time.

Edited by bmg_ps
  • Like 1

It depends, but I mostly like to save after I defeated a boss, and I know I have to do something or go somewhere. If I can't do that I write down in my game book where I was in a game. It helps in general, just in case I skip the game to do another one. 

It depends on the type of game I suppose. In RPGs, I usually make multiple saves and every 30 minutes or so, no matter the location. You never know when you will encounter a key conversation or a missable trophy.

You know, better safe than sorry! :) 

Edited by Pooh

I started playing games when there was no free saving. Missing a save meant losing a lot of progress. It is deeply ingrained in me to save manually all the time and everywhere. Always save if you don't want to replay anything. Never rely on autosave unless there only is a checkpoints with no manual save system.

• Like 1

Even since games allowed you to save almost anywhere I save all the time anywhere I please. Places I always save at though would of course be before and after difficult fights, or if I am done for the night I will travel to my next destination so I dive right into my next quest and whatnot.

I have been replaying Dragon Quest VIII and I  do enjoy going to Churches to save because nostalgia,  God bless the quick save feature in the  3DS version. Sometimes you just don't have the time or battery life to get to a Church. 

Anywhere that's not inside a Final Fantasy 6 boss fight, which will kill all your party in your next turn.

And you'll be using just ONE save state in an emulator and no default in-game saves for whatever reason.

Oh, and being like 30 hours into the game.

Anywhere outside that... Feels just fine lol

• Like 1

Cool topic. I'm like you. I like to save at inns or places that would naturally be used to rest because I like to think of my character as "sleeping" while I turn off the game and do something else.

I learned a little trick from drawing/writing that it's actually a good idea to stop in the middle of a line or a word. For example, when I used to write papers or essays, I'd stop in the middle of a sentence rather than at the end of a paragraph or chapter because it would make it very easy to pick up again. Anybody who has ever experienced writer's block knows what I mean. But I do the same thing with video games now, where I'll purposely stop at a point (e.g. in the middle of a quest or grind) where the first 10-15 minutes of my next play session have already been decided. Ideally, I mean. In practice, I usually save when I have a bunch of things that I don't feel like doing and then turn on the game a week later and spend an hour running in circles and trying to relearn the controls.

• Like 1