[Rumor] Is Sony sneakily removing PS4 backwards compatibility from PS5?

grifteskymfning

On 16/06/2020 at 0:30 AM, DividedByMankind said:

No ps5 sales? Lol i could care less for the backwards compatiblity, i pre ordered allready 3 ps5s from 3 different shops here in norway.... i dont mind at all playing my ps4 games on ps4 and ps3 on ps3 ?

Yeah. You should care for the Backwards Compatibility because that's what and how people are attracted and drawn to it. It's all about that and sales.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2020 at 1:41 PM, Starcade_Legend said:

I thought I was pretty clear.  The ‘For the Gamer’/optimistic (good guy) approach would be assuming SONY would give backwards compatibility to PS4, especially after they already...said it?  And the pessimistic/always thinking negative or in a depressing attitude (bad guy) would say things like ‘Have patience.  It’ll officially be debunked soon enough.’  Clear enough?

Yeah, that’s how you sound...?

Umm it's not pessimistic or depressing to just...wait to see for sure what is going on with the console. Pessimistic would be saying that Sony is trying to retract their statement and they're getting rid of the feature because screw the consumer. I'll probably wait myself, because I want to sell my ps4 to make up some cash for the ps5 and not have to worry about not being able to play my games in the meantime. I don't trust online info, I want the console released and people testing it firsthand before I invest in it.

Edited by Upendo_Vitani
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

Would like to add that CDPR confirmed that you will be able to use a physical PS4 copy of Cyberpunk 2077 day 1 on a PS5. If that isn’t enough proof for you that Sony is not removing backwards compatibility then Idk what it. You can also read about a mandate they put out which means every PS4 game submitted for publication after mid July must work on PS5 as well.

that doesnt really confirm backwards compatibility as being completely real because in the early days of the ps4 you could upgrade some of your ps3 games to ps4 for a "small fee" meaning i can still use a ps3 copy of assassin creed black flag on my ps4 but yet cant play the digital copy of black flag i have without that ps3 disc unless i buy an "official ps4 digital version".  i can see that being the same case until proven otherwise.

1 hour ago, Upendo_Vitani said:

Umm it's not pessimistic or depressing to just...wait to see for sure what is going on with the console. Pessimistic would be saying that Sony is trying to retract their statement and they're getting rid of the feature because screw the consumer. I'll probably wait myself, because I want to sell my ps4 to make up some cash for the ps5 and not have to worry about not being able to play my games in the meantime. I don't trust online info, I want the console released and people testing it firsthand before I invest in it.

Dude, you cherry-picked one post in the middle of DaviRules and I’s debate.  He ultimately agreed that SONY has officially stated that 99% of the PS4 library will be backwards compatible with PS5, and I apologized for misunderstanding him.  I’m not going to play the ‘I don’t know if I can believe SONY!’ game with less than 4 months until console launch.  It’s crunch time, people are looking for honest answers and features from their product they are selling; there’s really no debate on whether the PS5 will play your PS4 collection (and PS3 collection, in my humble opinion).  On a bit of a side note though, I’ve (somewhat) changed my stance on backwards compatibility with PS1 & PS2 games, though.  ?

So...I have about 100 PS1 & PS2 games, total.  I’m ready and totally pumped to play those games in 4k/60fps, absolutely. But I was looking online for a few gems that I don’t have, and needless to say...it was definitely unnerving.  The reality of it is...there are only a very few people that have a sizeable collection of games to use that feature for PS1 & PS2 games.  And as far as remastered games in the store goes...Microsoft spent a lot of money and time (years) this gen to get, what...150 games across Original Xbox and 360 (no achievements for OG Xbox games, by the way)?  Unless this ‘Remastering Engine’ from SONY is an absolute beast, we won’t see that many games (there are almost 3000 games available between both consoles).  And don’t get me started on the licensing issue.  You’ll never see notable titles like Def Jam: Fight For NY, Vendetta, or Capcom vs SNK2 because of licensing issues.  Financially, I just don’t think it’s in their best interest to go down a traditional backwards compatible path with those legacy consoles.

Maybe SONY can surprise us, who knows.  ?

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar/Punctuation

8 hours ago, grap2000 said:

that doesnt really confirm backwards compatibility as being completely real because in the early days of the ps4 you could upgrade some of your ps3 games to ps4 for a "small fee" meaning i can still use a ps3 copy of assassin creed black flag on my ps4 but yet cant play the digital copy of black flag i have without that ps3 disc unless i buy an "official ps4 digital version".  i can see that being the same case until proven otherwise.

CDPR confirmed they will be sending out a free upgrade for the PS5 later in 2021 which will take advantage of PS5 hardware. You are getting confused with Cross Buy here. You put the PS4 disc of Cyberpunk in your PS5 day 1, and it will work. CDPR confirmed backwards compatibility themselves. What do you then have to say about the fact that Sony is mandating devs to make sure that any PS4 games being submitted for publication after mid July need to work on PS5? Also read through this blog post if you still don’t believe there will be no BC. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

9 hours ago, UltraFire121 said:

Yeah. You should care for the Backwards Compatibility because that's what and how people are attracted and drawn to it. It's all about that and sales.

You say that, but most people don’t buy a new console to play older games on it. If this were the case, then PS4 with no backwards compatibility would not have sold more than 110 million units. Also is Xbox Backwards compatibility the most used feature? No it really isn’t. 

Edited by Noskillzpro407
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

CDPR confirmed they will be sending out a free upgrade for the PS5 later in 2021 which will take advantage of PS5 hardware. You are getting confused with Cross Buy here. You put the PS4 disc of Cyberpunk in your PS5 day 1, and it will work. CDPR said that. What do you then have to say about the fact that Sony is mandating devs to make sure that any PS4 games being submitted for publication after mid July need to work on PS5? Also read through this blog post if you still don’t believe there will be no BC. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

You say that, but most people don’t buy a new console to play older games on it. If this were the case, then PS4 with no backwards compatibility would not have sold more than 110 million units. Also is Xbox Backwards compatibility the most used feature? No it really isn’t. 

Chill the fuck out. Did I say about PS4 console had backwards compatibility when it release in 2013? No. Don't feel butthurt and feel neglected lol.

14 minutes ago, UltraFire121 said:

Chill the fuck out. Did I say about PS4 console had backwards compatibility when it release in 2013? No. Don't feel butthurt and feel neglected lol.

You said that backwards compatibility is a massive draw when it really isn’t. If PS5 has full backwards compatibility but no first party games, then people will literally not buy it. That’s what has happened with Xbox One. Has backwards compatibility but nothing in terms of First party games compared to Sony. Like if you feel nostalgic, then whip out your older console and play on that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, UltraFire121 said:

Nah, it is not just for me, what draws me toward sony is their exclusives, and games, and ive also been sony and nintendo all the way since 1999-2000 era. If i wanna play older games , ill just get my older console for it? i have all the PS and nintendo consols aince ps1 and n64. So to me it does not bother me at all? and thats why i could care less about backwards compatibility.

EDIT: 

Also ive never owned a xbox console, nor will i ever do that. Some will say this is sony fanboy wagon, but i have 2 reasons for that, 1 is i grew up with playstation and 2 it is because of trophies, you get 1 main trophy thats called a platinum for every game that has one. Especially aaa titles? not gamerscore, to me gamerscore it is so lame?

Edited by DividedByMankind
  • Like 1

I highly doubt that Sony would remove backwards compatibility for PS4 games or just not support it properly. That would be a very bad move on their part and they might even loose the next gen because of it. They have a huge PS4 player base, with people who have huge libraries of PS4 games physically and digitally. To completely abandon them and say sorry, you'll need to keep your PS4 to play those games would be a failure. I can understand to not or ever adding PS3, PS2, and PS1 native support, but PS5 needs to be fully compatible with all PS4 games and not just with the top 100 PS4 titles. There needs to be full compatibility with the entire library, and I don't see why this can't be done. We can understand that old titles where the developer no longer exists to patch a game for PS5, but the title should be able to run on a PS5 natively. Well that's what I am expecting. I'm planning on getting rid of both my original PS4 and PS4 Pro soon after I get my PS5 and test that my whole physical and digital library works.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

You said that backwards compatibility is a massive draw when it really isn’t. If PS5 has full backwards compatibility but no first party games, then people will literally not buy it. That’s what has happened with Xbox One. Has backwards compatibility but nothing in terms of First party games compared to Sony. Like if you feel nostalgic, then whip out your older console and play on that. 

Trust me, that’s not due to backwards compatibility.  Microsoft has walked down that SAME EXACT PATH of not giving out quality/AAA games for the last 2-3 years of any console generation they’ve ever made a console for.

That’s a company’s culture thing, not a backwards compatibility thing, unfortunately...?

On 6/16/2020 at 4:32 AM, Bratinov said:

I've never had a console as poorly made as the PS4 Pro. The thing buzzes and rattles like there's no tomorrow, even in sleep mode.

I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

I was never a big fan of the PS Pro. A friend of mine had it and he had the same issue as you. But, I completely agree. I hope the PS5 is nothing like the Pro.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2020 at 6:35 PM, StressEater said:

I was never a big fan of the PS Pro. A friend of mine had it and he had the same issue as you. But, I completely agree. I hope the PS5 is nothing like the Pro.

The coil whine was pretty bad from the start, even in menus. It got progressively worse. The fan was ok at the start, but after two months it started to click in rest mode and that was when I stopped using the mode. Maybe it was because I kept the usb ports powered at all times, I'm not sure. 

The console still works fine, but I'm not ever selling it in this condition.

It is a launch PS4 Pro, I also have a later model that doesn't do any of this, but I rarely use it for this very reason.