[Rumor] Is Sony sneakily removing PS4 backwards compatibility from PS5?

grifteskymfning

27 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

Instead of ‘RUMOR’, why doesn’t the title of this thread say ‘DEBUNKED’?  SONY has made it CRYSTAL CLEAR that 99% of all PS4 games will be playable and a lot of PS4 games (top 100 have been tested) will play using PS5’s BOOST mode.

I don’t understand what the confusion still entails...1f914.png

The PS5 hasn’t been released yet to prove or disprove the rumor. 

Have patience, it’ll be officially debunked soon enough. 

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Can always get an HDMI switcher box

I have one of those, it's terrible. I often have to switch back and forth between the "channels" just to get a picture. (It doesn't come with its own power.)

Can't imagine how finicky it's gonna be when I have to get one for 4k@60fps.

The mess behind my monitor is legendary :D .

I know people that would be embarrassed to have multiple consoles connected to one screen, to each their own I guess. 

Edited by Bratinov
  • Like 1

It would be a terrible move, it is 2020 and your competition is supporting the last two gens of gaming, and probably will always support the last two gens and Sony had barely started allowing PSN ID changes. I know Sony has better exclusives but Microsoft seems to be ahead in every other way and Sony needs to keep up. 

IMO ALL PS4 games should work on PS5, digitally or physical games. Really, PS3 should too but definitely PS4. If they don't, I certainly won't even consider getting it day 1 and I'm sure thousands others as well. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bratinov said:

I have one of those, it's terrible. I often have to switch back and forth between the "channels" just to get a picture. (It doesn't come with its own power.)

Can't imagine how finicky it's gonna be when I have to get one for 4k@60fps.

The mess behind my monitor is legendary :D .

I know people that would be embarrassed to have multiple consoles connected to one screen, to each their own I guess. 

It could be you just have a crappy switcher box, I have 2 of them and they both need their own power supplies, both work normally.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The PS5 hasn’t been released yet to prove or disprove the rumor. 

Have patience, it’ll be officially debunked soon enough. 

‘Debunked’ about it playing PS4 games, you say.  Wow...someone just REALLY doesn’t want us playing our games, that we’ve all bought, with updated graphics on a new system.

You can’t have a good story without a protagonist and antagonist, so...there it is.  ?

Edited by DaivRules

49 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. If you're going to quote me, at least make yourself clear.

I thought I was pretty clear.  The ‘For the Gamer’/optimistic (good guy) approach would be assuming SONY would give backwards compatibility to PS4, especially after they already...said it?  And the pessimistic/always thinking negative or in a depressing attitude (bad guy) would say things like ‘Have patience.  It’ll officially be debunked soon enough.’  Clear enough?

Yeah, that’s how you sound...?

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar/Punctuation

I play my ps3 games on my ps3 and my ps4 games on my ps4 and then I will play my ps5 games on my ps5 and I will play psvita games on my psvita. Pretty simple.

Just to specify even if it is backwards compatible I will still play my ps4 games on my ps4. I mean why stuff a console in the closet never to be used again just because a new console has come out. 

Edited by TWOLF2016

12 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

I thought I was pretty clear.  The ‘For the Gamer’/optimistic (good guy) approach would be assuming SONY would give backwards compatibility to PS4, especially after they already...said it?  And the pessimistic/always thinking negative or in a depressing attitude (bad guy) would say things like ‘Have patience.  It’ll officially be debunked soon enough.’  Clear enough?

Yeah, that’s how you sound...?

The “Sony is removing backward compatibility” rumor will be dubunked. Don’t over think it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

I play my ps3 games on my ps3 and my ps4 games on my ps4 and then I will play my ps5 games on my ps5 and I will play psvita games on my psvita. Pretty simple.

Just to specify even if it is backwards compatible I will still play my ps4 games on my ps4. I mean why stuff a console in the closet never to be used again just because a new console has come out. 

Because it broke... and a PS3 currently costs the same as a PS4, and therefore I'm not desperate to buy either.xD

1 hour ago, InfinityOnH1gh said:

Both... what happens when your PS4 breaks?

Exactly.  And Microsoft (never thought I would be saying this...?) is catering to the people with a ‘if you bought this game a decade ago, you will still be able to play that game a decade from now, with upgraded graphics.  Trust our digital ecosystem’.  THAT type of comfort message...would give me a second thought at buying a digital console.  Which, would play right into their ultimate plan (SONY’s as well).

But if you’re quick to say ‘didn’t you buy all of those games for your previous SONY system in 2020 and earlier?  All of that money you spent...once we come out with a new system, you should just forget that you ever played those games!  Or let them live on only in your memories, once your system dies!  Aren’t you happy with that!  We are!  Also, please by digitally!’ like SONY is (possibly) alluding to, well...?

Why are we so quick to give up and throw away products that we’ve paid money for, just because you’ve beaten/ platinumed a game, or throw away an older system games because the new stuff is here?!  ?

Edited by Starcade_Legend
Grammar/Punctuation
  • Like 1

What are people doing that their consoles are breaking all the time? I’ve never had a console

break and I still have all mine from my Atari 2600 and original Nes to now. And even if one did break, they’re fairly inexpensive to replace and even more inexpensive to fix. If I spent hundreds to thousands to buy games for a system, even another hundred dollars to keep playing them in the event of a break seems like a prudent move if I cared that much about my older games. 

This is all moot anyway, since the PS5 will play PS4 games. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaivRules said:

What are people doing that their consoles are breaking all the time? I’ve never had a console

break and I still have all mine from my Atari 2600 and original Nes to now. And even if one did break, they’re fairly inexpensive to replace and even more inexpensive to fix. If I spent hundreds to thousands to buy games for a system, even another hundred dollars to keep playing them in the event of a break seems like a prudent move if I cared that much about my older games. 

Some consoles are simply poorly made like the 360 so it could break down through no fault of your own. The Dreamcast also shoddily made initially as early models have a cd reader that will burn out after only a year or two. I went through about 4 dreamcasts growing up before the fifth one finally decided to stick around.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Some people, heaven forbid, would like a history of games that they’ve bought, that they can go back in time a decade from now and play without hassle, ESPECIALLY with this digital-only movement being shoved down our throats.  I think that’s reasonable...?

Why did you edit my post, earlier?

On 15/06/2020 at 0:01 AM, DaivRules said:

I've never had a console as poorly made as the PS4 Pro. The thing buzzes and rattles like there's no tomorrow, even in sleep mode.

I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Edited by Bratinov

On 6/14/2020 at 4:04 PM, majob said:

Some consoles are simply poorly made like the 360 so it could break down through no fault of your own. The Dreamcast also shoddily made initially as early models have a cd reader that will burn out after only a year or two. I went through about 4 dreamcasts growing up before the fifth one finally decided to stick around.

Early ps1 was garbage, too. Overheated like crazy - I had to flip mine upside down to play it at all, which then reduced its life expectancy.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:30 AM, DividedByMankind said:

No ps5 sales? Lol i could care less for the backwards compatiblity, i pre ordered allready 3 ps5s from 3 different shops here in norway....

I think you’re an outlier. ?

I actually think the ps5 might have sale troubles, anyway. I just think the era of buying large, bulky consoles for hundreds of dollars in order to purchase expensive individual games to play is archaic already; Sony will definitely hold up to what they’ve said.

Long story short, I think the ps5 will be backward compatible, despite the idiotic fiction of “40 years of gaming history!” spouted by one of our poorer posters earlier.

• Like 1

Would like to add that CDPR confirmed that you will be able to use a physical PS4 copy of Cyberpunk 2077 day 1 on a PS5. If that isn’t enough proof for you that Sony is not removing backwards compatibility then Idk what it. You can also read about a mandate they put out which means every PS4 game submitted for publication after mid July must work on PS5 as well.

• Like 1