[Rumor] Is Sony sneakily removing PS4 backwards compatibility from PS5?

grifteskymfning

On 6/5/2020 at 7:26 PM, NekoRave said:

Im more worried about the 3,000 games i have on ps4 as i know 2,950 of them wont be playable and even then over a thousand and a half probably will never get supported for being indie

Me: Okay, they clearly mean 3000 in general, not that they have 3000 games actually.

*checks their profile 3141 games played*

Also me: Holy shit, fuck me, good job on that collection guy, you got some money to blow.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Upendo_Vitani said:

It's always a good thing to look into stuff before you buy it. And speculation is exactly the type of thing that would make people hesitate. Do you just lay down $500 on a new console day one, especially when they essentially could be lying to people?

I am most definitely not buying day one. I probably won't even buy one this year. I'll wait until I see all the reviews saying it's worth my money. 

It's a Playstation. The next version of the same thing you already have. If you want to keep playing Playstation games, you're gonna buy it. I don't understand what information I would find in reviews. It's not like there are multiple Playstation manufacturers to choose from.

Edit: Not that I don't agree with looking into stuff before buying.

14 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Yes, seems to be happening all over the world lately, lol.

Well, you tried.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 1

I just hope it'll be at least compatible with latest titles like Control, TLoU2, Nioh 2, Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 at PS4Pro level of performance. Just because I don't want to play them on my base PS4. All things considered, looks like PS5 should be able to do that and I'll be happy. 

I kinda do not understand why people compare this gen to any previous. Most games these days already received PS4Pro treatment, look good and run in 2K or upscaled 4K. Also, all of them available digitally. Personally, I do not want any PS1-3 games without enhanced resolution and ability to buy them in PS store.

Edited by Akrioz

17 hours ago, BloodyRutz said:

It's a Playstation. The next version of the same thing you already have. If you want to keep playing Playstation games, you're gonna buy it. I don't understand what information I would find in reviews. It's not like there are multiple Playstation manufacturers to choose from.

Edit: Not that I don't agree with looking into stuff before buying.

If I want to keep playing Playstation games, I'll keep playing my ps3, ps4, and vita. I do not see the need to buy something that doesn't do what they say it's going to do. And it's going to need a pretty fantastic games line-up before I increase my backlog into another console generation.

8 minutes ago, Upendo_Vitani said:

If I want to keep playing Playstation games, I'll keep playing my ps3, ps4, and vita. I do not see the need to buy something that doesn't do what they say it's going to do. And it's going to need a pretty fantastic games line-up before I increase my backlog into another console generation.

New. Current. Modern games.

Don't twist shit.

If you want to play the new games from Sony then you keep up with the newest system. Simple.

If you still want to play old,. past, retro games then get or keep the old systems. Simple.

40 years of console gaming explained

Why the hell are you people so hell bent on making this seem so damn hard?

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

I don't understand issue behind PS5 being not fully backward compatible with PS4, they use same x86/x64 architecture CPU in new console, GPU is not much of a difference too,besides calculation speed and support for new fancy stuff nobody cares much. Man, this PS5 is like 2.5x more powerful than PS4. Remember difference between PS1 and PS2? Or PS2 and PS3? Seems like nowadays you can get simple gaming PC, install personal FreeBSD modified OS on it and call it a day. What a joke. Xbox does much better stuff at this. You can run Xbox 360 games in 4k with HRD and x16 AAF. Man, I would love to see same on PS4 pro.

Oh and by the way, I came up with new marketing slogan for PS5. "PlayStation 5, now with REAL 4K". Only for PS5 PRO tho.

Edited by guy who says bruh

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

New. Current. Modern games.

Don't twist shit.

If you want to play the new games from Sony then you keep up with the newest system. Simple.

If you still want to play old,. past, retro games then get or keep the old systems. Simple.

40 years of console gaming explained

Why the hell are you people so hell bent on making this seem so damn hard?

And why are you being an ass about it? I do not want to spend half a grand on a new console until I know it's something I want. Why is that such a mind-blowing concept? Kindly piss off

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

8 hours ago, Upendo_Vitani said:

If I want to keep playing Playstation games, I'll keep playing my ps3, ps4, and vita.

I just stated my opinion on this, not arguing about your decision to buy the next-gen console later. So, legit question. Did you do this just for the sake of the argument? Because obviously what I meant is there will be Playstation games exclusive to Playstation 5 system at some point.

13 hours ago, BloodyRutz said:

I just stated my opinion on this, not arguing about your decision to buy the next-gen console later. So, legit question. Did you do this just for the sake of the argument? Because obviously what I meant is there will be Playstation games exclusive to Playstation 5 system at some point.

I'm just saying at this point I'm not convinced I want a ps5 just for the sake of owning one when it comes out. I want to know beforehand what I'm spending my money on, and that includes taking any shady business practices into consideration (though because I have the current and past gen consoles it wouldn't bother me as much as other people, but it is still a principle). In the meantime before I decide I will happily keep playing my backlog on my current consoles. I am a huge fan of Sony and I love the consoles, but i refuse to blindly throw money at anything until I know it's worth it. If that means I have to wait for some amazing ps5 exclusive to come out then maybe that's when I'll pull the trigger on the purchase.

Edited by Upendo_Vitani
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mayellie said:

Why would they do that? I believe they've mentioned they want players to transition to PS5 as soon as possible. If they removed backwards compatibility, a lot of people would stick to their PS4 for a while, trying to make a dent in their backlogs, or purchasing more PS4 games.

Let's say Sony removes the backwards compatibility for the PS4, if they say it's true then don't buy a pointless console that they can't meet it's expectations. Yeah just stick to the PS4 console and pile up more games as usual or if it's false then take advantage and pre-order the PS5 console.

Sony literally put out guidelines last week which said every game announced after July 13th on the PS4 needs to work and take advantage of PS5 hardware. That should mean you can use your PS4 version and run them at higher frame rates and resolution on the PS5. They probably changed the website because they haven’t properly announced it or made it clear if the majority of the 4000+ games published on PS4 will work day 1 on PS5 or not. 

Edited by Noskillzpro407
  • Like 2

On 06/06/2020 at 1:51 AM, Fabrago said:

I don't understand why this is such a big deal for some people. I guess they don't want to play next-gen games on a next-gen console

My take is people don't want another box under their TV. Hell, I'm running out of hdmi ports as it is.

At this point we can only speculate as it isn't confirmed, but Sony believes that the majority of PS4 games will be playable on PS5. I expect few games will be playable at PS5 launch, and more will be playable with time.

To me, having backwards compatibility is nice, and it could be a selling point for most people. But, if it never happens, I guess I'll be fine.

On 05/06/2020 at 9:50 PM, FawltyPowers said:

I started on the PS3 in 2011, PS4 released in 2013, didn't get it until 2017. If no backwards compatibility on PS5 then I can wait until 2025.

I also started PS3 in late 2011 to March 2016, yeah PS4 released in 2013 and didn't got mine in February 2014 3 months later.

Instead of ‘RUMOR’, why doesn’t the title of this thread say ‘DEBUNKED’?  SONY has made it CRYSTAL CLEAR that 99% of all PS4 games will be playable and a lot of PS4 games (top 100 have been tested) will play using PS5’s BOOST mode.

I don’t understand what the confusion still entails...?

• Like 4