[Rumor] Is Sony sneakily removing PS4 backwards compatibility from PS5?

grifteskymfning

6 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

It's not a big deal but if someone says they are going to do something it's disappointing when they don't follow through. A good example is when they did the PS2 games on PS4 ask yourself when's the last time they had a PS2 game on ps4 with that project. The problem is Sony always starts these projects but never followed through and I guess that's why people find it a big deal. Also considering the fact that PS3 originally had backwards compatibility if Sony announces that the PS5 will do the same thing that the PS3 did at launch it's getting people falsely excited for the new system only to let them down and not follow through. 

That's my concern with them going about the process of getting games to be BC. Sony really dropped the ball when they announced it with the PS2

Microsoft's was worse saying they would do it then not doing it, then doing it but same as Sony with little to no support.

I mean Nintendo has this Nes and Snes game incldued with their online pass but even when that was suppose to be done last Summer they've still gone ahead and kept releasing titles slowly for it. Showing support for their older games even a year after they promised to end it.

• Like 1

I’d love the PS5 to have backwards compatibility. The other reason I’d love to buy it day one is because my PS4 feels like it’s gonna roll over and die on me soon. But if the games I play aren’t available on the 5 then what’s the point really? This post has helped me make the decision to not buy straight away which is good, I’ll wait til I know what’s available on the 5.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Emina said:

I’d love the PS5 to have backwards compatibility. The other reason I’d love to buy it day one is because my PS4 feels like it’s gonna roll over and die on me soon. But if the games I play aren’t available on the 5 then what’s the point really? This post has helped me make the decision to not buy straight away which is good, I’ll wait til I know what’s available on the 5.

A bunch of baseless speculation made you change your mind? Weird flex but ok.

• Like 2

I am new to Playstation but doesnt this kind of thing happens with every single new launch? Wasnt PS4 supposed to be PS3 compatible? And wasnt PS3 supposed to be PS2 compatible?

I was a PC player during the other launchs so I didnt follow it closely but I remember I heard about that.

Really sucks, Microsoft is planning all these great things on Xbox series x like the cloud, continuation of their great game pass, and the delivery program, which will most likely also include backwards compatibility between Xbox One games and maybe Xbox 360 games. While sony I have to keep 3 consoles in order to play all their backlog of games. Wish Sony would put up more of a fight against Xbox, sadly with their cancellation of the June 4th event it puts them even more behind. Amidst of what is currently going on in the world, I keep thinking that Sony is only using it as an excuse to delay something that wasn't ready like their event. Every time something happens like this it really disappoints me. Seems like they are only trying to size up to Xbox and remain a contender and continuing to do a bad job at it.

Edited by Burstawesome

Nah, I still think they’re gonna have PS4 backward compatibility. I don’t think it’ll be very extensive, though. Probably just the usual popular titles and that’s about it.

From a business perspective, they don’t need to do full backwards compatibility. They can get most people’s hearts and money if they make the most popular titles backwards compatible at launch. Past that, there’s not a whole lot of urgency to make any more PS4 titles backwards compatible. I’m sure we’ll get more titles after the PS5 launch, but I’m willing to bet they’ll slow the rollout of backwards compatible titles to a trickle or outright stop once the PS5 has a good-sized library of games in about 1.5-2 years. At that point, PS5 games will be the system sellers and most people will probably have cashed in on a PS5 if they were planning on getting one. At that point, there’s very little reason to pander to the ~5-10% who are still waiting to get a PS5 by sinking more money into backwards compatibility because Sony will be making way less off of that investment.

Maybe Sony will keep up a good pace of releasing PS4 backwards compatible titles on the PS5 throughout the entire generation. I hope so. But looking at it from a business perspective, I’ll remain cautiously optimistic. I’ll keep around my PS3 and PS4 regardless, but it would be nice to play enhanced PS4 games on a PS5.

Edited by ResoluteRock

I think they mean it's similar to how Xbox One handled 360 titles. Many were backward compatible but required an update beforehand. 

i see this being similar or the same.

Not every ps4 game will work. Probably the biggest titles sure. But to play them on ps5 itll require a game update to be played.

I see no issue either way. Other than maybe another Cyberpunk ps5 playthrough, i am buying a ps5 to play ps5 games. I have my ps4 pro to play any non-supported ps4 games if i wanted. So either way not a huge deal to me. Never understood the desire for backwards compatibility. Most people don't even use it.

1 hour ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Oh relax lol I was reconsidering long before the rumours.

Edited by Emina

16 hours ago, Burstawesome said:

Really sucks, Microsoft is planning all these great things on Xbox series x like the cloud, continuation of their great game pass, and the delivery program, which will most likely also include backwards compatibility between Xbox One games and maybe Xbox 360 games. While sony I have to keep 3 consoles in order to play all their backlog of games. Wish Sony would put up more of a fight against Xbox, sadly with their cancellation of the June 4th event it puts them even more behind. Amidst of what is currently going on in the world, I keep thinking that Sony is only using it as an excuse to delay something that wasn't ready like their event. Every time something happens like this it really disappoints me. Seems like they are only trying to size up to Xbox and remain a contender and continuing to do a bad job at it.

Sony doesn't need to fight Xbox is the thing, the 110 mil units sold vs about 50 mil units is a clear indication that they don't have much to worry about.

While backwards compatibility is a good thing to have, a majority of consumers are going to be waiting for the PS5 to have a sizable amount of PS5 titles before making the switch. Consumers that are wanting backwards compatibility is small compared to the Grand total amount of consumers, just like how trophy hunting is a small percentage of the total.

Edited by Havok_Knight
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Havok_Knight said:

Sony doesn't need to fight Xbox is the thing, the 110 mil units sold vs about 50 mil units is a clear indication that they don't have much to worry about.

While backwards compatibility is a good thing to have, a majority of consumers are going to be waiting for the PS5 to have a sizable amount of PS5 titles before making the switch. Consumers that are wanting backwards compatibility is small compared to the Grand total amount of consumers, just like how trophy hunting is a small percentage of the total.

Most people on ps4 tend to be casual gamers unlike us who won't switch to Xbox to lose our trophies. These casuals are more likely to switch to the "better console" in the sense of features, rather than us or others but they still make up a large portion of the sales. Also I would also think that Sony would want a good launch and want to beat Xbox which is their competitor. I still think that Sony is attempting to beat Xbox following in their footsteps in reveal window like the controller and event. Just speculation though, could be completely wrong in their marketing strategies. Also as a Playstation person I would want Xbox to do good at launch, if the sales for this generation were to be repeated I would expect Sony to stop putting all their effort in their console since they would be dominating.

On 5.6.2020 at 11:47 AM, Golem25 said:

As someone who skipped the PS4, this would tank my interest in PS5 hard. What's the point of getting a console with a small library (lets be honest, it won't be expansive at launch) when I can get a cheap PS4 and catch up on the whole previous generation for cents on the Pound via used copies? Backwards compataibility would sell me, and quite a few others, on a new console.

They earn their money via software, not hardware. So your idea of playing cheap used copies on PS4 or PS5 is not theirs.

Most people on ps4 tend to be casual gamers unlike us who won't switch to Xbox to lose our trophies. These casuals are more likely to switch to the "better console" in the sense of features, rather than us or others but they still make up a large portion of the sales. Also I would also think that Sony would want a good launch and want to beat Xbox which is their competitor. I still think that Sony is attempting to beat Xbox following in their footsteps in reveal window like the controller and event. Just speculation though, could be completely wrong in their marketing strategies. Also as a Playstation person I would want Xbox to do good at launch, if the sales for this generation were to be repeated I would expect Sony to stop putting all their effort in their console since they would be dominating.

Isn't the definition of which is "better" a subjective one? 

How is any single gamer here able to speak on what most "casuals" will do or what most "casuals" want?

The funny thing is that Sony has preceded MS when it comes to information about the next gen consoles. Cerny explained about the next Playstation back in April 2019 to Wired while MS revealed Project Scarlet in June 2019 at E3. There followed a series of exchanges where Playstation would share tinybits first and MS tried to overshadow Sony with glitz. 

Outside of actually showing the Xbox Series X all the information revealed about the PS5 dominated the internet. 

• Like 1

It is a big deal, if true. Personally, the reason i want ps5 to play ps4 games is because i have 30 ps4 games i haven't played yet and another 30-40 in my wishlist.

I don't want to buy another ps4 to finish them, just like i did with ps3 on 2015.And i take good care of my consoles. Ps1 is 23 years old and still kicking.Ps2 is 19, SNES is 26, GB is 27.

The latest generation consoles are prone to malfunctions, no matter what you do

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

It's always a good thing to look into stuff before you buy it. And speculation is exactly the type of thing that would make people hesitate. Do you just lay down $500 on a new console day one, especially when they essentially could be lying to people?

I am most definitely not buying day one. I probably won't even buy one this year. I'll wait until I see all the reviews saying it's worth my money. 

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

3 minutes ago, Upendo_Vitani said:

It's always a good thing to look into stuff before you buy it. And speculation is exactly the type of thing that would make people hesitate. Do you just lay down $500 on a new console day one, especially when they essentially could be lying to people?

No, speculation is not something an actual buyer should give weight to.

IF I need to research a product before I buy it due to not knowing the brands and differences then I look into facts about the products....not fiction

BUT there I products and brands that have earned my trust so I will buy them baring any catastrophic failures. I'll just buy the next LG phone. I'll just buy the newest Charger. I'll just buy the next Playstation and the next and the next. Unless LG phones stop texting/talking or Chargers stop driving or Playstation stop playing new games then I will stick with them. All the other "features" are just bonuses that I might not even use

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Montyzu said:

I am new to Playstation but doesnt this kind of thing happens with every single new launch? Wasnt PS4 supposed to be PS3 compatible? And wasnt PS3 supposed to be PS2 compatible?

I was a PC player during the other launchs so I didnt follow it closely but I remember I heard about that.

The PS4 wasn't ever supposed to be able to play PS3 games, the original run of PS3s did have the ability to play PS2 games.

9 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

No, speculation is not something an actual buyer should give weight to.

IF I need to research a product before I buy it due to not knowing the brands and differences then I look into facts about the products....not fiction

BUT there I products and brands that have earned my trust so I will buy them baring any catastrophic failures. I'll just buy the next LG phone. I'll just buy the newest Charger. I'll just buy the next Playstation and the next and the next. Unless LG phones stop texting/talking or Chargers stop driving or Playstation stop playing new games then I will stick with them. All the other "features" are just bonuses that I might not even use

It's all speculation right now though. There are no facts until the product is actually available for purchase. Sony has my trust too but nowadays everytime I hear news about them, it's generally negative so I'm not going to throw my money at them for their next console until I see what it offers. I'm also generally not the early adopter type. I have my PS3, PS4, and my vita so I'm not hurting if I end up waiting (which I will). 

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

Tbh I don't care too much about it, retro compatibility never was a selling point for me. But really this days people love to jump to conclusions and make news about it, I've stopped visiting some "news" sites because now half of their "news" are baseless rumors from trolls (How many times have I read about that damn Arkham game of the Court of Owls? I hate that game because of all the false rumors it has, and the game doesn't even have the fault of it... if it really exists...)... Oh, look, Sony put a green font in their blog... "Rumor: Is Microsoft buying Sony?"

Edited by DeepEyes7
  • Like 1

Honestly this just looks to be simplifying the messaging they present on the website. It's not fact about the console. It's harder to explain to a new customer or a casual one that they can play that Horizon Zero Dawn from the PS4, but they can't play Punchline from the PS4. 

All the full information will be given before the console release so if your even slightly considering picking up the PS5 in the first week. Just have some extra money set aside and make the choice when you have the full fact sheet.

Would be a bummer to not replay every single Ratalaika games on PS5... But seriously i doubt anything i read online today. No BC would be suicide for Sony. People want to upgrade to a PS5 while keeping their game library. That has to be a big selling point for them, to keep everyone of the 100mill costumers who bought a PS4.

• Like 1